PDA

View Full Version : Fitz for Coach Joe = T Russell for Mullen

fishwater99
10-05-2018, 02:02 PM
Neither QB is a fit for their system or one that they recruited, so what do they do?

Mullen didn't change his offense to fit TR and Moorhead hasn't so far for Fitz. It's the square peg round hole for both, keep shoving it in, it's got to fit right..

A good coach will be able to adapt their offense to fit the strengths of their QB. A hard-headed one will not change.

I am afraid Coach Joe is just like *******, he can't adapt and won't even try.

Jack Lambert
10-05-2018, 02:03 PM
Day before the game and we are still whining like little school girls.

Statecoachingblows**
10-05-2018, 02:10 PM

Last week attitudes shifted around Wednesday. We lose tomorrow and it may go on for the entire bye week

thf24
10-05-2018, 02:10 PM
Can anyone lay out some examples of coaches in recent history who have significantly altered their offenses to fit the skill set of a QB they didn't recruit to great effect? Not saying there aren't any; I just can't think of any and am curious as to whether it's a reasonable thing to expect.

msstate7
10-05-2018, 02:12 PM
Can anyone lay out some examples of coaches in recent history who have significantly altered their offenses to fit the skill set of a QB they didn't recruit to great effect? Not saying there aren't any; I just can't think of any and am curious as to whether it's a reasonable thing to expect.

Mullen this year. How successful he'll be yet to be determined

thf24
10-05-2018, 02:16 PM
Mullen this year. How successful he'll be yet to be determined

I think it's way too early to call what Franks has done "great effect." Mullen is still trying to run Franks too much... may be real ugly against LSU and Georgia.

msstate7
10-05-2018, 02:19 PM
I think it's way too early to call what Franks has done "great effect." Mullen is still trying to run Franks too much... may be real ugly against LSU and Georgia.

Won't argue that. They're back ranked though and hosting top 5 team this weekend. Outlook looks much better if they win that one

confucius say
10-05-2018, 02:21 PM
Mullen in 2015 with dak and Holloway/shumpert

Contrast that with the 2017 offense.

thf24
10-05-2018, 02:33 PM
Mullen in 2015 with dak and Holloway/shumpert

Contrast that with the 2017 offense.

The playcalling tipped towards passing in 2015 out of necessity, but it was the same scheme, same playbook, and a QB that Mullen recruited with the skillset that his offense is built around. I'm talking about examples of a coach making wholesale scheme changes to harness the skillset of a QB that his offense doesn't mesh with naturally, like we wanted Mullen to do with Russell in 2012-13 and we want Moorhead to do with Fitz now.

confucius say
10-05-2018, 03:29 PM
The playcalling tipped towards passing in 2015 out of necessity, but it was the same scheme, same playbook, and a QB that Mullen recruited with the skillset that his offense is built around. I'm talking about examples of a coach making wholesale scheme changes to harness the skillset of a QB that his offense doesn't mesh with naturally, like we wanted Mullen to do with Russell in 2012-13 and we want Moorhead to do with Fitz now.

Wholesale changes? Like you want joe to run a completely different scheme like the triple option or power I or something?

Nobody wants a wholesale scheme change and no coach has ever done that. We just want joe to call plays within the offense that play to our strengths. Plenty of those exist. Like in the first half against Florida when we ran down the field on our second and third possessions. Less RPO and more zone read where you give it or pull it and run.

thf24
10-05-2018, 04:07 PM
Wholesale changes? Like you want joe to run a completely different scheme like the triple option or power I or something?

Nobody wants a wholesale scheme change and no coach has ever done that. We just want joe to call plays within the offense that play to our strengths. Plenty of those exist. Like in the first half against Florida when we ran down the field on our second and third possessions. Less RPO and more zone read where you give it or pull it and run.

I don't think we as fans can know if it's as simple as calling more designed runs or not. I still don't know a ton about Moorhead's offense, but I do know the reason that Mullen's Russell offense was ineffective against good teams in 2012 and 13 was that, regardless of the playcalling and run/pass balance, the whole offense was predicated on the threat of the QB run. There was no way to make that offense truly effective for a pure passer without radical scheme changes. I'm sure that basic issue exists for Moorhead's offense to some degree, and in any case where a coach has to use a QB's whose skillset isn't what he build his offense around. I've seen very little evidence that these adjustments are as easy or common to make as many of us make them out to be.

fishwater99
10-05-2018, 04:28 PM

So I need to wait until Auburn beats us 21-6 to complain?

Bass Chaser
10-05-2018, 05:18 PM
There were some on here calling Dak "check down Charlie" in 2015.

Irondawg
10-05-2018, 07:54 PM
I’d say Hurts wasn’t a typical Bama QB but they did recruit him to get more athletic there

was21
10-06-2018, 06:51 AM
Not to derail it but hope Moorhead is not another combo of Butch Jones/Bert Bilema