PDA

View Full Version : Houston Cougars offense under Kendall Briles

Dawg61
10-05-2018, 10:37 AM
I watched Houston's game last night vs Tulsa and they didn't play nearly their best yet still ended up winning by 15. Reason I am starting this thread is not so much how they played but in how FAST they play. They are the nation's fastest offense averaging 18 seconds per play (we have to be near the bottom). Briles is the OC and he calls the plays in himself using hand signals. They run an RPO system. It was 17ing awesome to watch him lead that offense with the former WR playing QB (King) whose a very good runner and accurate passer. Looks like a poor man's much faster version of Russell Wilson honestly. Moorhead can learn some things on Briles tempo particularly in how fast he himself calls in the play to the QB vs Briles and our offense snaps the ball vs theirs. Here's where Briles offense ranks. I don't know where to find how fast we snap the ball but I know it ain't anywhere close to 18 seconds.

Scoring 52.2 points #1 in FBS
Total yards 608.5 #1 in FBS
Yds/Play 7.5 6th in FBS
Pass Yards 355.5 5th in FBS
Sacks Allowed 1 2nd in FBS
They also average 255 yards in rushing

smootness
10-05-2018, 10:42 AM
I watched Houston's game last night vs Tulsa and they didn't play nearly their best yet still ended up winning by 15. Reason I am starting this thread is not so much how they played but in how FAST they play. They are the nation's fastest offense averaging 18 seconds per play (we have to be near the bottom). Briles is the OC and he calls the plays in himself using hand signals. They run an RPO system. It was 17ing awesome to watch him lead that offense with the former WR playing QB (King) whose a very good runner and accurate passer. Looks like a poor man's much faster version of Russell Wilson honestly. Moorhead can learn some things on Briles tempo particularly in how fast he himself calls in the play to the QB vs Briles and our offense snaps the ball vs theirs. Here's where Briles offense ranks. I don't know where to find how fast we snap the ball but I know it ain't anywhere close to 18 seconds.

Scoring 52.2 points #1 in FBS
Total yards 608.5 #1 in FBS
Yds/Play 7.5 6th in FBS
Pass Yards 355.5 5th in FBS
Sacks Allowed 1 2nd in FBS
They also average 255 yards in rushing

I'm not sure where to find it either. I did find a ranking of teams in # of plays per game, which is not the same thing but at least close. The interesting thing there, though, is that Houston is only ranked 40th. But we're ranked 105th, 10 plays/game behind last year.

We're also 70th in points per play. Not a great combo.

Homedawg
10-05-2018, 11:01 AM
While I am all for going faster. Much faster, as bad as we suck that just means a quicker 3 and out.

msstate7
10-05-2018, 11:02 AM
While I am all for going faster. Much faster, as bad as we suck that just means a quicker 3 and out.

Go fast after initial 1st down then. It would surprise the hell out of auburn this week

ShotgunDawg
10-05-2018, 11:06 AM
https://twitter.com/bobounds/status/1047929422920212480?s=21

Quaoarsking
10-05-2018, 07:04 PM
We should hire Kendall Briles to be our OC next year, assuming he's not a HC somewhere.

But his dad can't be involved with the program or even set foot in Starkville.

msstate7
10-05-2018, 07:14 PM
We should hire Kendall Briles to be our OC next year, assuming he's not a HC somewhere.

Doubt joe would do that

Dawg61
10-05-2018, 07:35 PM

1000% agree and I'd pay him bank too. Briles runs an RPO offense only much much faster than Moorhead. Combine Briles RPO system with Moorhead's RPO and it'd be a monster. Briles is the QB coach for Houston too and what he's done with a converted WR (King) as his QB is ridiculous.

ShotgunDawg
10-05-2018, 07:39 PM

And we've officially gone off the rails.

Dawg61
10-05-2018, 07:43 PM
And we've officially gone off the rails.

Cause you think the dude from Fordham is better than Briles whose led the FBS in offense for the last 6 years straight? Or because you think anyone with the last name Briles should be forever banished from the face of the earth cause some scumbags raped some girls 8 years ago?

ShotgunDawg
10-05-2018, 07:52 PM
Cause you think the dude from Fordham is better than Briles whose led the FBS in offense for the last 6 years straight? Or because you think anyone with the last name Briles should be forever banished from the face of the earth cause some scumbags raped some girls 8 years ago?

No, because I think it's ridiculous that anyone thinks JoMo is going to do something different on offense or get rid of his protege Getsy

Dawg61
10-05-2018, 07:58 PM
No, because I think it's ridiculous that anyone thinks JoMo is going to do something different on offense or get rid of his protege Getsy

Lol well I also completely agree with you here. CrooMo mindset 2.0

Really Clark?
10-05-2018, 08:14 PM
Until someone shows it works in the SEC, I stay away from the B12/Houston offensive systems. Sumlin - failure from Houston and Leach/OK philosophy base.

Dawg61
10-05-2018, 08:20 PM
Until someone shows it works in the SEC, I stay away from the B12/Houston offensive systems. Sumlin - failure from Houston and Leach/OK philosophy base.

That's fine but we can at the very least learn something from how fast he calls in plays if it means we have an extra 20 snaps of offense a game.

Really Clark?
10-05-2018, 08:22 PM
That's fine but we can at the very least learn something from how fast he calls in plays if it means we have an extra 20 snaps of offense a game.

Definitely don’t have a problem with a coach spending time looking to add to their system from other systems and schemes