PDA

View Full Version : I'm going on the record about Moorhead.

gravedigger
10-05-2018, 07:58 AM
He is the right coach and we will be fine. I dont know how this year will end up but he will get the signal caller or develop one that can handle what is asked and get the offense producing.

I'll also go on the record about our message board fanbase. It will conveniently attempt to deny acting like spoiled brats and blame their ridiculous claims that Joe should be fired on the 'gamethread' mentality.

This has been both comical and tragic to watch unfold on Elitedawgs and 6pack.

smootness
10-05-2018, 08:06 AM
He is the right coach and we will be fine. I dont know how this year will end up but he will get the signal caller or develop one that can handle what is asked and get the offense producing.

I'll also go on the record about our message board fanbase. It will conveniently attempt to deny acting like spoiled brats and blame their ridiculous claims that Joe should be fired on the 'gamethread' mentality.

If you think it's just the message board fanbase, you're crazy.

People are pissed, as they should be.

StateDawg44
10-05-2018, 08:08 AM
It really has.

The same message board fanbase will eat it up and sing praises if things get turned around.

Dawgfan77
10-05-2018, 08:18 AM

Question. What has he shown in the last two games against average to above average competition that leads you to believe he can get the job done. And if you say look at what he did at PSU... go look at his games against Ohio State and dive into the numbers. Osu is as close to the sec the big 10 gets. His offense averaged 280 yds against them in two years with arguably the best RB in college football. Truth is He is a very average OC. In other words. Against teams with equal talent he is prob 50/50 (0-2 this year) teams but with better talent he struggles

thf24
10-05-2018, 08:30 AM

There's a difference between being angry and disappointed, and being a crazed hysteric who claims that we've seen nearly enough to make long-term judgements.

Really Clark?
10-05-2018, 08:35 AM
Question. What has he shown in the last two games against average to above average competition that leads you to believe he can get the job done. And if you say look at what he did at PSU... go look at his games against Ohio State and dive into the numbers. Osu is as close to the sec the big 10 gets. His offense averaged 280 yds against them in two years with arguably the best RB in college football. Truth is He is a very average OC. In other words. Against teams with equal talent he is prob 50/50 (0-2 this year) teams but with better talent he struggles

Come on now, I have issues the last two weeks as well but let?s be fair. He has been an extremely successful OC. Top 10 in scoring vs ranked opponents last year and 13th his first season. They put up 38 against Ohio State last year in a one point loss. And they beat OSU his first year 24-21.

smootness
10-05-2018, 08:41 AM
There's a difference between being angry and disappointed, and being a crazed hysteric who claims that we've seen nearly enough to make long-term judgements.

I don't think you have to be a crazed hysteric to say that the complete lack of ability to move the ball, the two straight duds, the lack of coaching adjustments, the lack of focus and discipline, and the lack of energy are very, very bad signs moving forward.

DownwardDawg
10-05-2018, 08:43 AM

Well no shit Sherlock! We are State fans. We gonna bitch when we suck and we gonna celebrate when we are winning!!

bluelightstar
10-05-2018, 08:49 AM

If he has to have a certain QB to do better than 13 points and 400 yards in a combined 2 games, he's not that good of a coach.

Dawgfan77
10-05-2018, 09:04 AM
A few things that piss me off about joe
1 culture... wtf? We won 9 games last year. What culture problem was there
2. Our system works we know it works... it does?? Can you point me in that direction cause all I see is 1 TD in SEC play. It may work in the big 10 not in the sec
3. We will get it turned around. Joe joe joe...sigh... if it didn?t work at UK don?t you think you would have made changes for UF?? It only gets harder with Bama AU and LSU

He is in over his head he was not the right hire. Nothing he has shown gives me any hope he can turn it around. Get you head out of the sand step back look at his work then ask yourself why did I think he would turn it around. 400 yds and one TD in two sec games.

TrapGame
10-05-2018, 09:07 AM
Notice the misdirection tricks Mullen put in to slow our defense's reaction? Notice Mullen made sure Franks got the ball out as quick as possible?

Moorhead can't even wrap his mind around the fact this offense was not recruited or built to run his scheme. Fitz cannot throw a consistent deep ball. We've got an every down SEC RB in AW that has barely touched the ball.

gravedigger
10-05-2018, 09:07 AM
I don't think you have to be a crazed hysteric to say that the complete lack of ability to move the ball, the two straight duds, the lack of coaching adjustments, the lack of focus and discipline, and the lack of energy are very, very bad signs moving forward.

'Complete lack of ability' is not only inaccurate, it's hyperbole that perfectly illustrates my point. The qb is stuck in Mullen's offense in his head. That is also on the receivers not making correct reads on the safeties either. The ability is there. The qb is called upon to not only make the adjustments, but to recognize the pressure and get rid of the ball to the hot route that exploits it. Look at the last play vs Florida. Guy came right through the middle and there was an open receiver (tight end) and Fitz ate the sack.

Running the ball more is not going to produce the results our fanbase thinks it will vs stacked boxes. The only thing that is going to turn this around is a qb, wr's and rb's who can react without having to go through all the check with me stuff. Our OL hasnt been very good but they've been left in their stances too long by a qb that needs the pacifier of the coach making the audibles.

Joe will get the right people to run this. Fitz is not now, nor has he ever been the best to run the offense. He's a strong runner and a fiery competitor, but he he has a block of cement between his ears. Keyton needs another December and spring under his belt to really get the offense.

I_Spy
10-05-2018, 09:14 AM
I watched Dan call a trick play to score a touchdown on us while Florida coach, we’ve seen him do that 50 times while at state, we may be unprepared. I say run to open up pass plays ..we got fitz and hill. Everybody stacked the box when auburn had just the run plays, 5 years ago or something, malzahn success, you can’t stop what is good. Everyone knew auburn gonna run, nobody could stop it. You gotta do what you do.

gravedigger
10-05-2018, 09:15 AM
2. Our system works we know it works... it does?? Can you point me in that direction cause all I see is 1 TD in SEC play. It may work in the big 10 not in the sec
3. We will get it turned around. Joe joe joe...sigh... if it didn?t work at UK don?t you think you would have made changes for UF?? It only gets harder with Bama AU and LSU

He is in over his head he was not the right hire. Nothing he has shown gives me any hope he can turn it around. Get you head out of the sand step back look at his work then ask yourself why did I think he would turn it around. 400 yds and one TD in two sec games.

Tell me what you mean by 'culture'. You mean the one Mullen had? We've had a former player describe that. It wasnt good.
Mullen 's offensive system works when mullen is coaching it. He's at Florida. The direction is southeast in Gainsville. It's spilt milk.
Joe doesnt micromanage his offense. Mullen did. Fitz didnt have to think under Mullen.

I know why the offense has stalled. Plain as day to me. Fans are just pissed they arent getting the 10 wins they think they are entitled to.

StateDawg44
10-05-2018, 09:20 AM
'Complete lack of ability' is not only inaccurate, it's hyperbole that perfectly illustrates my point. The qb is stuck in Mullen's offense in his head. That is also on the receivers not making correct reads on the safeties either. The ability is there. The qb is called upon to not only make the adjustments, but to recognize the pressure and get rid of the ball to the hot route that exploits it. Look at the last play vs Florida. Guy came right through the middle and there was an open receiver (tight end) and Fitz ate the sack.

Running the ball more is not going to produce the results our fanbase thinks it will vs stacked boxes. The only thing that is going to turn this around is a qb, wr's and rb's who can react without having to go through all the check with me stuff. Our OL hasnt been very good but they've been left in their stances too long by a qb that needs the pacifier of the coach making the audibles.

Joe will get the right people to run this. Fitz is not now, nor has he ever been the best to run the offense. He's a strong runner and a fiery competitor, but he he has a block of cement between his ears. Keyton needs another December and spring under his belt to really get the offense.

Nah man, he needs to be fired before he even has the chance to try. We certainly can't let him recruit to his likings and his system.***

yjnkdawg
10-05-2018, 09:21 AM

Yes...Wanting to fire him? No. That is just some very vocal ones on message boards after two losses. He has been successful everywhere he has been. You have to have a quarterback who can run his offense. His offense is more complicated to learn for a QB than DM's was. Apparently we have no QB ready, at this point in time, that can run it. KT and Mayden aren't ready yet, but they should be able to run it. He said after both losses that there were run plays that turned into passing plays due to the defensive set and/or the quarterback reads. I think he will make some adjustments to help with our offensive sputtering, but will it carry over to production on the field? Who knows.

MetEdDawg
10-05-2018, 09:30 AM

He is showing me that he's trying to do something different, which is what ALL of us said we needed to do to be successful. Our fan base is nuts. We want Mullen to stay. Then we are ok with Mullen going. Then we bitch about how if Mullen were still here we would win more this year. But then we get pissed because we know Mullen will never win the West. Then we get mad because the new guy is changing things. But we wanted change. But we still want him to be a little bit like Mullen so we can win now. But ultimately he's not the right guy because we think he will never change. But then we see his is changing but that's not good enough because we didn't score enough points. So we want to fire him right now and replace him with a guy who got fired from a G5 job. But he was the best they ever had. But he's only a placeholder until a real coach wants the job. But who wants a job after you fire the new guy 5 games in. Oh but Neal Brown definitely would have taken the job and been more successful because his offense is like Mullen's. But then we end up not throwing the ball enough and we stay stuck where we currently are.

Do you guys not see how infuriating this is? This is literally what has unfolded from this board and this fan base over the last two weeks. 5 games in and this is what has happened. We knew we needed change. Mullen couldn't recruit well enough to win. But we've made the change and now we aren't as good. Duh people. That was going to happen. Moorhead will adapt and I firmly believe he's the right guy. He's gonna have to adjust. But I believe he recognizes that. You all just have to understand you can't just up and change overnight or even over a couple weeks. This kind of stuff takes time. It sucks this year got blown up, but I will ask again. If you knew this year was going to be 7-5 but I could guarantee the next 5 years would be no less than 9 wins per year, would you take it?

If you answer no, you aren't an MSU fan because that level of success would be unprecedented in our history. I think Moorhead will recruit and coach us to that level.

StateDawg44
10-05-2018, 09:32 AM
He is showing me that he's trying to do something different, which is what ALL of us said we needed to do to be successful. Our fan base is nuts. We want Mullen to stay. Then we are ok with Mullen going. Then we bitch about how if Mullen were still here we would win more this year. But then we get pissed because we know Mullen will never win the West. Then we get mad because the new guy is changing things. But we wanted change. But we still want him to be a little bit like Mullen so we can win now. But ultimately he's not the right guy because we think he will never change. But then we see his is changing but that's not good enough because we didn't score enough points. So we want to fire him right now and replace him with a guy who got fired from a G5 job. But he was the best they ever had. But he's only a placeholder until a real coach wants the job. But who wants a job after you fire the new guy 5 games in. Oh but Neal Brown definitely would have taken the job and been more successful because his offense is like Mullen's. But then we end up not throwing the ball enough and we stay stuck where we currently are.

Do you guys not see how infuriating this is? This is literally what has unfolded from this board and this fan base over the last two weeks. 5 games in and this is what has happened. We knew we needed change. Mullen couldn't recruit well enough to win. But we've made the change and now we aren't as good. Duh people. That was going to happen. Moorhead will adapt and I firmly believe he's the right guy. He's gonna have to adjust. But I believe he recognizes that. You all just have to understand you can't just up and change overnight or even over a couple weeks. This kind of stuff takes time. It sucks this year got blown up, but I will ask again. If you knew this year was going to be 7-5 but I could guarantee the next 5 years would be no less than 9 wins per year, would you take it?

If you answer no, you aren't an MSU fan because that level of success would be unprecedented in our history. I think Moorhead will recruit and coach us to that level.

Preach. This x10.

Rep given

Liverpooldawg
10-05-2018, 09:33 AM

News flash for you: EVERYBODY struggles against teams with better talent.

Gutter Cobreh
10-05-2018, 09:37 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MetEdDawg again.

smootness
10-05-2018, 09:37 AM

Find me one person who said, 'We needed to make a change, but we won't be as good right away.'

Everyone was saying we had better coaching now, thus we'd be even better. Instead, we are way worse. We are changing the narrative to fit the atrocious results we've seen.

And here's the thing - you can't guarantee anything about the next 5 years. Of course we'd all take it if you could guarantee that. But you can't, and our current struggles don't bode well for the next 5 years. That's exactly why so many are disappointed.

yjnkdawg
10-05-2018, 09:49 AM

LOL You would never be able to get a good football coach if your were an AD. You would fire them before you gave them the opportunity to at least be able to recruit, and try to get the players that fit their system. Kirby Smart had a bad season his first year at GA, even with all those the 4 and 5* players they have. So you would have probably fired Kirby if you had been the GA AD.

msstate7
10-05-2018, 09:54 AM
LOL You would never be able to get a good football coach if your were an AD. You would fire them before you gave them the opportunity to at least be able to recruit, and try to get the players that fit their system. Kirby Smart had a bad season his first year at GA, even with all those the 4 and 5* players they have.

Smart added a top 3 class. It was apparent he was gonna load Georgia with talent. Let's hope Moorhead can crack the 20s

MetEdDawg
10-05-2018, 09:57 AM
Find me one person who said, 'We needed to make a change, but we won't be as good right away.'

Everyone was saying we had better coaching now, thus we'd be even better. Instead, we are way worse. We are changing the narrative to fit the atrocious results we've seen.

And here's the thing - you can't guarantee anything about the next 5 years. Of course we'd all take it if you could guarantee that. But you can't, and our current struggles don't bode well for the next 5 years. That's exactly why so many are disappointed.

Contrary to popular belief, you can have better coaching and initially be worse. Better coaching doesn't mean instantly better. And no one on here who has a damn job or runs anything would expect a new boss to come in to something that is already good and instantly make it better. I teach and it damn sure doesn't happen in education. In order to get better you have to undo a bunch of stuff. You have to break the foundation to build a stronger one. That takes time.

As far as the next 5 years, I may not be able to guarantee it. But another year in the system, new personnel, youth getting older and more game reps. If we go 7-5, do you think we will get better or worse next year? Offensively another year in the system and I believe Key is better than Fitz and there's no body of evidence that can be provided to at least disprove that. You may not agree but you don't have facts to disprove it. Getting rid of old personnel and bringing in the personnel to fit the system solves half the battle. The other half is getting comfortable with terminology and execution of a new system.

I also think 7-5 or 8-4 still gets us a better recruiting class ranking than Mullen got us for more than half of his years. Just imagine what Moorhead could do if he gets a class higher than Mullen's average while severely disappointing this year?

gravedigger
10-05-2018, 10:01 AM
Notice the misdirection tricks Mullen put in to slow our defense's reaction? Notice Mullen made sure Franks got the ball out as quick as possible?

Moorhead can't even wrap his mind around the fact this offense was not recruited or built to run his scheme. Fitz cannot throw a consistent deep ball. We've got an every down SEC RB in AW that has barely touched the ball.

You also noticed that the misdirection tricks put in produced one touchdown even though they had ideal field position the entire game. Moorhead knows full well that this offense has been micromanaged by Mullen and that is the block of stone he has to work with.

Now, if someone wants to complain about something, it's our Punting game. Our defense has made up for terrible field position as best it could. Our kick return game is bad as well. We could be fair catching the ball and getting it at the 25 every time, but we somehow want to return it to the 18.

Areis is not the better back, but he is the back that should be in the game if the opposing team is loading the box. Hill is fine too. But if someone tries the same thing Kentucky did, they have to be able to chip block and take the screen. It will go for 100 yards if we do. The qb has to recognize that and communicate to the rb.

We arent as far off from success as some would think. I'm sure the defense is frustrated holding UK and UF for 80% of the game and watching our offense sputter, but it will come around. That isnt wishful thinking. The offense is designed to take advantage of the defenses we are seeing. But if the qb doesnt start getting rid of the ball and holds onto this Mullen checkdown charlie bs, we will continue to be frustrated vs everyone but LT and Arkansas.

I_Spy
10-05-2018, 10:05 AM
We are playing to a championship standard here. Endquote

msstate7
10-05-2018, 10:06 AM
You also noticed that the misdirection tricks put in produced one touchdown even though they had ideal field position the entire game. Moorhead knows full well that this offense has been micromanaged by Mullen and that is the block of stone he has to work with.

Now, if someone wants to complain about something, it's our Punting game. Our defense has made up for terrible field position as best it could. Our kick return game is bad as well. We could be fair catching the ball and getting it at the 25 every time, but we somehow want to return it to the 18.

Areis is not the better back, but he is the back that should be in the game if the opposing team is loading the box. Hill is fine too. But if someone tries the same thing Kentucky did, they have to be able to chip block and take the screen. It will go for 100 yards if we do. The qb has to recognize that and communicate to the rb.

We arent as far off from success as some would think. I'm sure the defense is frustrated holding UK and UF for 80% of the game and watching our offense sputter, but it will come around. That isnt wishful thinking. The offense is designed to take advantage of the defenses we are seeing. But if the qb doesnt start getting rid of the ball and holds onto this Mullen checkdown charlie bs, we will continue to be frustrated vs everyone but LT and Arkansas.

Dude, we're avg 200 yards a game in conf games. If this is the result of backing off "micromanaging", let's get back. You guys blaming Mullen for this abortion is borderline insane

smootness
10-05-2018, 10:06 AM
Contrary to popular belief, you can have better coaching and initially be worse. Better coaching doesn't mean instantly better. And no one on here who has a damn job or runs anything would expect a new boss to come in to something that is already good and instantly make it better. I teach and it damn sure doesn't happen in education. In order to get better you have to undo a bunch of stuff. You have to break the foundation to build a stronger one. That takes time.

As far as the next 5 years, I may not be able to guarantee it. But another year in the system, new personnel, youth getting older and more game reps. If we go 7-5, do you think we will get better or worse next year? Offensively another year in the system and I believe Key is better than Fitz and there's no body of evidence that can be provided to at least disprove that. You may not agree but you don't have facts to disprove it. Getting rid of old personnel and bringing in the personnel to fit the system solves half the battle. The other half is getting comfortable with terminology and execution of a new system.

I also think 7-5 or 8-4 still gets us a better recruiting class ranking than Mullen got us for more than half of his years. Just imagine what Moorhead could do if he gets a class higher than Mullen's average while severely disappointing this year?

Find me one person who said anything along the lines of your first paragraph before the Kentucky game.

And I would absolutely not expect us to be better next year, not with the amount of talent we're losing. And I think 7-5 this year is an absolutely pipe dream.

yjnkdawg
10-05-2018, 10:09 AM
Smart added a top 3 class. It was apparent he was gonna load Georgia with talent. Let's hope Moorhead can crack the 20s

Comparing the players that GA can recruit to the players that we can recruit is like comparing apples to oranges. They are loaded with 4 and 5*'s and they can continue to keep them coming in. Hopefully we can keep getting more 4 and a few 5*'s stars but we have not arrived at being a GA yet.

MetEdDawg
10-05-2018, 10:11 AM
Find me one person who said anything along the lines of your first paragraph before the Kentucky game.

And I would absolutely not expect us to be better next year, not with the amount of talent we're losing. And I think 7-5 this year is an absolutely pipe dream.

No one because we didn't play anyone with a pulse. And we, along with me, didn't realize that. Kansas State was not good. And neither are ULL or SFA. But when you play the real teams it can change things. You may see a few things here and there, but when you beat the brakes off of people rather easily, it's hard to get an accurate representation of where you truly stand. Point is, UK and UF are best case scenario slightly worse than us. I could make a good case that UF is more talented than us based solely off recruiting rankings. Kentucky has a Top 3 player in the entire conference that wrecked our crap.

So UK was the first real test for our team and we failed. Problem is we then had 6 days to correct all of that before we played against Dan Mullen and Todd Grantham. Shitty luck of the draw if you ask me. Now we really know what we are and what problems we have. If we beat Auburn, that should alleviate the issues for the time being. Plus we get an off week. Also, it's a lot easier to teach freshmen and sophomores new things than juniors and seniors. Offensively we are young, but that group is going to get a lot better before next year.

smootness
10-05-2018, 10:13 AM
Comparing the players that GA can recruit to the players that we can recruit is like comparing apples to oranges. They are loaded with 4 and 5*'s and they can continue to keep them coming in. Hopefully we can keep getting more 4 and a few 5*'s stars but we have not arrived at being a GA yet.

But this is why some are so pessimistic about the future. You're right that we're not going to start recruiting like UGA...which means we're not going to be able to recruit our way to more talent than we currently have on this roster. And this current roster has not been able to run Moorhead's system to anything resembling competence. So that does not bode well for the future.

smootness
10-05-2018, 10:17 AM
No one because we didn't play anyone with a pulse. And we, along with me, didn't realize that. Kansas State was not good. And neither are ULL or SFA. But when you play the real teams it can change things. You may see a few things here and there, but when you beat the brakes off of people rather easily, it's hard to get an accurate representation of where you truly stand. Point is, UK and UF are best case scenario slightly worse than us. I could make a good case that UF is more talented than us based solely off recruiting rankings. Kentucky has a Top 3 player in the entire conference that wrecked our crap.

So UK was the first real test for our team and we failed. Problem is we then had 6 days to correct all of that before we played against Dan Mullen and Todd Grantham. Shitty luck of the draw if you ask me. Now we really know what we are and what problems we have. If we beat Auburn, that should alleviate the issues for the time being. Plus we get an off week. Also, it's a lot easier to teach freshmen and sophomores new things than juniors and seniors. Offensively we are young, but that group is going to get a lot better before next year.

I agree with your first paragraph. But rather than causing me to adjust my view of our talent level or how quickly a coach can have success, it caused me to adjust my view of our current coaching. Because you see first year coaches come in all the time and have better success than the previous year. Sure, it doesn't happen every time...but we have a talented, experienced roster and no sign that our recruiting will suddenly improve significantly. So there's no reason to believe that just giving it time will make things come together.

You call it a bad luck of the draw to face Florida, but again, no one was saying that before the season...or 3 weeks ago...or two weeks ago. The only thing that changed was us.

And we are young at two WR spots, one RB spot, and two OL spots. That's it. We are not young offensively overall.

The only thing we can evaluate Moorhead on right now is that he has taken a team expected to compete, potentially for the West title (by more than just State fans), with multiple projected NFL picks (several potential 1st-3rd round picks), and created a pile of garbage. No, we don't know how the rest of the year will play out. Sure, he deserves the chance to turn it around. But do things look good right now? Not even close.

TrapGame
10-05-2018, 10:20 AM

Mullen did exactly what he needed to do to put his offense in the best position to win. They won.

And now we're blaming Mullen cause Joe can't adapt to what he has. Good grief.

MetEdDawg
10-05-2018, 10:20 AM
But this is why some are so pessimistic about the future. You're right that we're not going to start recruiting like UGA...which means we're not going to be able to recruit our way to more talent than we currently have on this roster. And this current roster has not been able to run Moorhead's system to anything resembling competence. So that does not bode well for the future.

Well there is definitely a middle ground between where we have recruited under Mullen and where Georgia has recruited. Consistent Top 25 class would be a start because I don't believe Mullen ever put 4 classes in a row that were Top 25. Hell the most Mullen ever put together was 2 Top 25 classes in a row. He had as many classes in the 40s as he did in the Top 20. So there is definitely a place for us to go up without talking about being elite recruiters.

msstate7
10-05-2018, 10:22 AM
Mullen did exactly what he needed to do to put his offense in the best position to win. They won.

And now we're blaming Mullen cause Joe can't adapt to what he has. Good grief.

When all else fails, blame Mullen.

smootness
10-05-2018, 10:32 AM
Well there is definitely a middle ground between where we have recruited under Mullen and where Georgia has recruited. Consistent Top 25 class would be a start because I don't believe Mullen ever put 4 classes in a row that were Top 25. Hell the most Mullen ever put together was 2 Top 25 classes in a row. He had as many classes in the 40s as he did in the Top 20. So there is definitely a place for us to go up without talking about being elite recruiters.

That's fair. And I certainly hope our recruiting does improve. I don't hold out much hope for that happening quickly based on the way we're currently recruiting and currently look on the field.

Let's say we needed 3 years of top 15-20ish classes to put a product on the field that could compete. If we only win 5-6 games this year, lose a bunch of talent and recruiting around 25-30 this year, is Moorhead going to have enough time to even begin to put that together? That's kind of where I am right now. Even in a positive scenario, I'm not sure he could turn it around quickly enough to ultimately keep his job beyond 3 years.

I have advocated firing Moorhead after 1 year if things don't turn around this year. And this is at least part of the reason why I say that.

Really Clark?
10-05-2018, 11:39 AM

The 2011 was 41st, that was the only class in the 40’s, 2 Top 20’s. And the 2011 class was off recruiting ranking wise with actual production

NCDawg
10-05-2018, 11:55 AM
I watched Dan call a trick play to score a touchdown on us while Florida coach, we?ve seen him do that 50 times while at state, we may be unprepared. I say run to open up pass plays ..we got fitz and hill. Everybody stacked the box when auburn had just the run plays, 5 years ago or something, malzahn success, you can?t stop what is good. Everyone knew auburn gonna run, nobody could stop it. You gotta do what you do.

BTW, what kind of a weird trick play did Moorhead attempt against Florida? He had Thompson and Fitz in the backfield at the same time-snapped the ball to Thompson who rolled right and lateraled it to Fitz who, I assume, was supposed to throw a pass. Needless to say, it didn't work.

msbulldog
10-05-2018, 12:26 PM

^^^^^this^^^^

Dawgfan77
10-05-2018, 12:34 PM
If having a culture that produces 7-9 wins a year then yeah I guess we had a terrible culture.
When we lose tomorrow night and you see no changes to the offense and the team starts to pout and pointy fingers. We then just developed a culture problem
If we win I?ll come on here and admit I was wrong

NCDawg
10-05-2018, 12:38 PM
Another thing I didn't like about Moorhead's play calling was in the first quarter, with the score 0-0, we were driving somewhere around Florida's 18 yard line. We had a 3rd and 2, and Fitz picks up one with an option run to the left, leaving us with 4th and one. Instead of going for the first down, he brings out the FG team. Tells me he doesn't have a lot of confidence in his team picking up one yard.

gravedigger
10-05-2018, 12:38 PM
Dude, we're avg 200 yards a game in conf games. If this is the result of backing off "micromanaging", let's get back. You guys blaming Mullen for this abortion is borderline insane

It?s not that hard to understand. Mullen?s micromanaging works with these players. Joes offense requires players to make decisions. It?s not Mullen?s fault.

Percho
10-05-2018, 12:56 PM

Think how happy you will be when we win out.

smootness
10-05-2018, 01:13 PM
Think how happy you will be when we win out.

Haha I would be both thrilled and irate.

Lord McBuckethead
10-05-2018, 02:26 PM
It doesn't matter. Bama is not going to lose the West. They are not going to lose the SEC Championship game. They are not going to be tested until maybe the first round of the playoff.
We could have won 11 games this year and still not reach a single one of our goals.

Give Moorhead the time to get this rectified, but we would all love to see a small amount of progress on that front each week.

Lord McBuckethead
10-05-2018, 03:19 PM

That is absolutely the facts. Nailed it. The fanbase needs to be vocal about JoMo support.

I_Spy
10-05-2018, 04:33 PM
Are you ready to guarantee 9 wins next five years, as in a side bet?

I’m a sports, well was player, so coaches and players have to earn respect, we don’t go by reputation. I respect it but you still have to prove it and that should be ok with the fan base. I don’t know why you take it as fan nutz, I have given up in the season anytime we lose to Kentucky and have for the last decade anyway. Normal here, you mustn’t be a longtime state fan.

ShotgunDawg
10-05-2018, 04:45 PM

But it's only 2 games

Dawg Facts
10-05-2018, 04:59 PM
I don't post, but enjoy the reading. I have some connections to some people around our program, a coach, parents of players, and administration. A 360 degree view of Mullen in a sense. First let me discuss what I know in fact about Mullen. A lot of this we already know or could guess at from what we have seen, but this is fact. I will condense down and keep vague to keep it safe. Mullen did blame coaches around him for the losses and was VERY hard to work for/with. An administrator told me that they had the opportunity to work with Jackie, Polk, and Croom. They said they never heard a coach or in fact any person speak to anyone like Mullen would speak to them or other coaches. They said Mullen had an awful mouth and would beat up on others around him to the point of making the job miserable. Also Mullen was awful at recruiting. If possible the assistant coaches would not encourage Mullen to meet recruits unless a big recruit wanted to meet him. They tried to limit Mullen's time around them to around 30 min or so because Mullen would began to talk about himself and Tebow the entire time. This was a huge turn off to the parents and the kids. I have a connection to Tebow also. Mullen was not Tebow's favorite coach, because of his mouth and attitude... I'm friends with a dad that was lightly recruited by State and the fishes out of water. He grew up a huge state fan and they visited state along with others and they said that mullen barely gave them and the others with them the time of day. These kids were not big time recruits and mullen made them feel like nothing. They then went to the fishes up north, no money was offered, but the fishes treated them great, important and they had a great time. When he came home he was a fish out of water fan. From a player on the team: Mullen was good to the all stars like Dak and others, but if you were not an all star then he treated them differently like lower class. Megan really helped out in this area, good woman from my understanding. Mullen was about mullen, not MSU or our family. Mullen is narcissistic and has ADD according to ones that worked close with him. He was a jerk, but hey, he won.....

Where are we now? I have been fortunate to coach on a much lower level. I came into a team to started a new offense that was more complicated than what the families and kids was familiar with. It was very tough out of the gates until midway into the season. Parents were mad at me and kids loosing faith at times. Started out slow, but change is slow sometimes and you have to take two steps back to take two forward sometimes. After midway of the season we became a point churning machine and the kids had a blast with it. I got some push back at times that made me think twice and did I do the right thing. The offense, the kids, and I had to merge together in the fire, during games. It takes time folks, but when it merges it's a blast.
Also Fiz has spent half a decade learning another offense, had his foot tore off, and a throwing motion change. That's a lot to handle no matter how big or good you are. Again, it takes time....
Jo has entered the minor league in Football in the SEC, he will adapt and change were needed, but this will not happen overnight. He has shown this in the past, he is willing to change where needed. I don't have a crystal ball, but we should start seeing something this weekend and at the end of the night we might get a surprise. Hail State

DownwardDawg
10-05-2018, 05:00 PM

This is an outstanding post. The problem is what our expectations were this year. Many of us are sick to our stomachs about the Florida loss. Imma shut up on here now. Apathy has set in for me I think. I hope like hail he turns it around. I want nothing more than for Moorehead to be better at State than Mullins ever though he would be.

ShotgunDawg
10-05-2018, 05:13 PM
I don't post, but enjoy the reading. I have some connections to some people around our program, a coach, parents of players, and administration. A 360 degree view of Mullen in a sense. First let me discuss what I know in fact about Mullen. A lot of this we already know or could guess at from what we have seen, but this is fact. I will condense down and keep vague to keep it safe. Mullen did blame coaches around him for the losses and was VERY hard to work for/with. An administrator told me that they had the opportunity to work with Jackie, Polk, and Croom. They said they never heard a coach or in fact any person speak to anyone like Mullen would speak to them or other coaches. They said Mullen had an awful mouth and would beat up on others around him to the point of making the job miserable. Also Mullen was awful at recruiting. If possible the assistant coaches would not encourage Mullen to meet recruits unless a big recruit wanted to meet him. They tried to limit Mullen's time around them to around 30 min or so because Mullen would began to talk about himself and Tebow the entire time. This was a huge turn off to the parents and the kids. I have a connection to Tebow also. Mullen was not Tebow's favorite coach, because of his mouth and attitude... I'm friends with a dad that was lightly recruited by State and the fishes out of water. He grew up a huge state fan and they visited state along with others and they said that mullen barely gave them and the others with them the time of day. These kids were not big time recruits and mullen made them feel like nothing. They then went to the fishes up north, no money was offered, but the fishes treated them great, important and they had a great time. When he came home he was a fish out of water fan. From a player on the team: Mullen was good to the all stars like Dak and others, but if you were not an all star then he treated them differently like lower class. Megan really helped out in this area, good woman from my understanding. Mullen was about mullen, not MSU or our family. Mullen is narcissistic and has ADD according to ones that worked close with him. He was a jerk, but hey, he won.....

Where are we now? I have been fortunate to coach on a much lower level. I came into a team to started a new offense that was more complicated than what the families and kids was familiar with. It was very tough out of the gates until midway into the season. Parents were mad at me and kids loosing faith at times. Started out slow, but change is slow sometimes and you have to take two steps back to take two forward sometimes. After midway of the season we became a point churning machine and the kids had a blast with it. I got some push back at times that made me think twice and did I do the right thing. The offense, the kids, and I had to merge together in the fire, during games. It takes time folks, but when it merges it's a blast.
Also Fiz has spent half a decade learning another offense, had his foot tore off, and a throwing motion change. That's a lot to handle no matter how big or good you are. Again, it takes time....
Jo has entered the minor league in Football in the SEC, he will adapt and change were needed, but this will not happen overnight. He has shown this in the past, he is willing to change where needed. I don't have a crystal ball, but we should start seeing something this weekend and at the end of the night we might get a surprise. Hail State

Great post & thank you for joining us!

A few things:

- What you said about Mullen seemed to be the consensus, but the problem is that Mullen's personality is likely very similar to Saban, Smart, Urban, etc. I don't like it either, but it seems that those are the types of people that win in college football. The longest tenured coach on Alabama's staff is 3 years. Think about that & why that is.....

- I completely understand that "Moorhead's offense" may take some time to get going. I think any reasonable person understands that. However, that does explain why Moorhead couldn't "adjust" his offense a little to fit the personnel of this team. I believe in Moorhead long term, but that doesn't excuse him screwing up this situation.

- That's pretty funny about Mullen's recruiting. I truly believe that if Moorhead can get things fixed on the football field, then over the next 2-5 years, he has a chance to take our recruiting to the next level.

- It's about winning. I don't like it & you don't like it, but it is what it is. If Mississippi kids need a Mullen type coach to succeed on the field, then that is what we are forced to hire.

ShotgunDawg
10-05-2018, 05:16 PM

Scrong

Dawgs87
10-05-2018, 07:39 PM
Come on now, I have issues the last two weeks as well but let?s be fair. He has been an extremely successful OC. Top 10 in scoring vs ranked opponents last year and 13th his first season. They put up 38 against Ohio State last year in a one point loss. And they beat OSU his first year 24-21.

I don't understand this narrative at all. Joe Lee Dunn had the #1 defense on a few different occasion with multiple teams and routinely was in the top 5. Anybody think he would make a great HC?

All I'm saying is I don't think I could actually call someone "Extremely" successful after 2 years as a D1 OC. Maybe he "exceeded expectations". Saban has been "extremely successful. JoMo had a good couple of years and also was lucky enough to have a Heisman winner in the backfield both years.

Really Clark?
10-05-2018, 08:04 PM
I don't understand this narrative at all. Joe Lee Dunn had the #1 defense on a few different occasion with multiple teams and routinely was in the top 5. Anybody think he would make a great HC?

All I'm saying is I don't think I could actually call someone "Extremely" successful after 2 years as a D1 OC. Maybe he "exceeded expectations". Saban has been "extremely successful. JoMo had a good couple of years and also was lucky enough to have a Heisman winner in the backfield both years.

The original post was about his prowess as an OC, doesn’t have a thing to do with if he is or will be a good HC. Where did you get that from?

Ok maybe 2 years is a small enough sample size to question but the 2 years prior Penn St was 14th and 11th in the B10. His 2 years 3rd and 2nd in the league in scoring. That’s a good turn around. And Barkley had a 1,000 yard rushing the year prior Moorehead arrived, so with him they were 11th prior to Moorehead anyway. It’s not like Barkley wasn’t already playing

Dawgs87
10-05-2018, 08:35 PM
The original post was about his prowess as an OC, doesn?t have a thing to do with if he is or will be a good HC. Where did you get that from?

My apologies. I read your comment out of context.

I thought you were driving at the same justification I've seen and heard repeatedly parroted about that because he was a good D1 OC for 2 years he will be a NC HC, but we just don't have a talented team this year. I swear it's Stockholm syndrome.

maroonmania
10-05-2018, 08:55 PM

The lack of in game awareness and adjustments have been the most shocking thing to me about this offensive staff. Could pull out all types of examples but one of the most obvious was WHO in the entire DWS besides Joe and is staff didn't know that Grantham was going to bring the house on 4th and 10??? Yet, we apparently had no hot route or quick pass to defeat the blitz. Yet, last year, in the same basic situation when WE had Grantham, Saban and staff hit Ridley on the quick slant and burned us on the blitz. There are just basic things we aren't recognizing and taking advantage of like running right at Josh Allen when he was speed rushing straight up the field over and over. Is Joe watching the same things on the field that we are?

maroonmania
10-05-2018, 09:04 PM

Appreciate your post and perspective. I really agree with Matt Wyatt and others who say that while Fitz has his issues, he is down the list of our offensive problems. The OL and the WRs are THE 2 biggest issues we have. When your OL can't pass protect and your WRs can't dependably catch passes right in their hands (much less ones that are difficult) then its very, very difficult for an offense to succeed that seems to have to pass if the defense is playing the run game. And if you can't show some success in the pass game then the defense will never come out of their run stopping defensive formations which means you just keep passing. I really wish we would do some of the side to side stuff we've seen done to us to loosen up the middle of the defense a little. Our OL is the worst of our problems and concern me the most. Have no idea what kind of coach MJ is but right now our OL looks like they have no idea WHO they are suppose to block on any given play or how.

THE Bruce Dickinson
10-05-2018, 09:09 PM

As close as it gets to the SEC???? Are you serious? OSU would beat every team in the league aside from Bama (maybe). So yeah...they are pretty close to SEC teams talent.

MetEdDawg
10-07-2018, 02:30 AM
This thread needs to hang around for a while. We need to make sure that we can be reminded of how quickly things can change and how we need to make sure that we understand that in order to get to the next level we can't make rash decisions. Two games clearly was not enough to judge what Coach Moorhead would do. But some got scared

I told you it would look worse before it looks better. It's gonna take time to undo what Dan Mullen did here. We are going to have to take some steps back in order to take some steps forward. We are unquestionably took a step forward tonight. Whether or not you think auburn is a top 10 team has no bearing on the outcome of the game or how we should feel as fans. A top 10 win is a top 10 win. That's a hell of an accomplishment in a great win for the Joe Moorhead era. He showed he can adapt and he showed he could change to fit what he has. And we throttled Auburn tonight we physically dominated them up and down the field and that should let you know that Joel Moorehead knows what to do in order to win the big games.

was21
10-07-2018, 08:25 AM
Still needs about a case and a half of 5 Hour Energy Drink

TimberBeast
10-07-2018, 05:20 PM
This thread needs to hang around for a while.

Yes it does