PDA

View Full Version : Anybody go to Starkvegas qb club last night?

shannondawg
10-05-2018, 07:13 AM
My understanding Coach Schaefer was the speaker.

Would like to know what he had to say.

Dawgbite
10-05-2018, 07:31 AM
I may be paraphrasing but " Praise The Lord And Go Dawgs"!

Doggie_Style
10-05-2018, 08:45 AM
He said and I quote 'We are a women's basketball school' ***.......not that there's anything wrong with that

shannondawg
10-05-2018, 09:08 AM
Not so much interested in the coach speak, but there are two that they are trying to get eligible, and I haven't seen anything about them lately.

shannondawg
10-05-2018, 05:44 PM
Pretty interesting talk, got this from a friend that attended. Of course most of the conversation on here is MOJO go or no go. But for those proud of this team, here it is.

"Good QB meeting last night. Girl Basketball Coach spoke, brought his daughter-player assistant coach with him.
Schaefer brought Johnny and Blair with them and gave them a chance to speak. He asked Blair to tell about her frustration at sitting on the bench and how she worked her way to first team after she decided not to transfer. She said she knew now that she was not good enough ForSEC play when she arrived as a freshman. She was too short and turned the ball over too often. Her intelligence saved her. She worked with what she had, taking those charges, getting off that long shot in a tiny window of opportunity, and being a tenacious guard. She exceeded beyond her dreams, ended up with SEC honors.

Johnny told us about Tiara and trying to motivate her. “I tricked her,” Johnny said. Tiara did not want to perform in practice and punishing did not reach T. Johnny asked T what she wanted. T wanted another national championship game and to win the SEC. When she would flag in practice Johnny reminded T of her goals. T also loved those double-doubles. During a game when she was side lined, she would try to see Johnny’s stats, and Johnny would hold her card so that T could not see. But sometimes she would let T see to incite her to struggle harder, to get that double-double. Both Schaefer and Johnny told us these 18-22 year olds are still children.

Schaefer knows his players personally, not just as a team. He requires them to sign a sheet on the door of his office every day. He is not always there when they come, but if he is, they come in for a high five, a hug, or a short chat. They have to pass by three open doors of other coaches and often chat with the other coaches, too. He plans side activities to expand their horizons and stresses scholarship and public speaking. All but Tiara are academic stars, and she struggles to shape up there, too.

After Blair and Johnny spoke, Schaefer rambled on and on about last year and his 3-second national championship. He thinks the referees stole the game and hopes they never come to the Hump, because he thinks he will not be able to hold his emotions.

When he first came to State there were about 85 fans in the audience, and he did not really want them to see his team. But the team and audience developed, and now there are 8500 in the stands and much enthusiasm and support. He gave his girls and assistant coaches the credit.

He saw Victoria play professionally in Dallas, said her team was poor, that our team could beat them by 20 points, which Victoria told him as soon as she saw him. She misses college ball, says her professional play is just a job.

00 has moved to staff, and Ketara Chapel is now in the grad student slot in coaching. Schaefer wanted to hire Blair with his own money, asked her to name her price. “Dad, I do not have a price,” she told him. Coaching was not in her horizon. S believes these young women reach he girls in ways he cannot. He hears them telling the new girls things he once told them and never thought they heard.

After all the questions the audience pummeled the defensive coach with (who had the unenviable job of scouting this week) Schaefer said upfront that he would take no questions. However, when he finished rambling he did answer a few before Jim sat him down. One was, if you had to pick the starting five today, who would you choose?” He name four seniors and Chloe Bibbi. He said Bibbi made great strides in physical fitness over the summer. Even though Holmes will be first team point guard, the girl red-shirted will play a lot. Sorry, but I forget the names of the others, except for Jordan, the juco transfer. Probably the A&M grad student who is so happy to be here. The UConn girl is also happy with her decision to join our team. He likes a girl who is not cleared to play yet, the best shooter on the team. Maybe that was the UConn girl, name started with an A. A freshman, Carter from Georgia’s looks good and so does the Ole Miss transfer. He has good recruits, but could not name them because of rules.

He nor Johnny could identify anyone who can take charges. It will be an in and out game. No great shooters yet, especially long court, though Bibbi improved. Defense will again be formidable. If they can get the ball to Tiara, she can obviously shoot.

They will go back to Italy to play again next year, wearing red white and blue, representing the USA as National team prior to Olympic play. He thought Victoria should have been selected for the Olympic team, and that UConn strategy of moving the center to the free throw line frustrated Tiara’s opportunity to make the team. He said UConn’s coach influenced style of play and girls chosen for the Olympic team last year. He sounded a bit touchy about that.

Maybe that is more than you wanted to know! I spoke to Bill Overstreet. He told me that we should visit your place with all the animals."

Dawg61
10-05-2018, 06:03 PM
Good stuff

WSOPdawg
10-05-2018, 06:57 PM
Great update and a great read, Shannondawg. Thanks.