PDA

View Full Version : Since so many say this was our most talented team ever...

Dawg61
10-04-2018, 11:32 AM
how many of our starting 22 besides Simmons & Sweat would start for Auburn or LSU? Moorhead has struggled no doubt but our fanbase is giving him impossible expectations right now by way over blowing the talent he acquired.

Bass Chaser
10-04-2018, 11:36 AM
2009 was pretty talented and went 5-7.

msstate7
10-04-2018, 11:36 AM
Either of our RBs, Jenkins, and Calhoun

Dawg61
10-04-2018, 11:40 AM
Either of our RBs, Jenkins, and Calhoun

msstubborn7 the point gets lost on you

Liverpooldawg
10-04-2018, 11:40 AM
how many of our starting 22 besides Simmons & Sweat would start for Auburn or LSU? Moorhead has struggled no doubt but our fanbase is giving him impossible expectations right now by way over blowing the talent he acquired.

Even I thought we would 5-0 right now. Those were NOT impossible expectations.

Tbonewannabe
10-04-2018, 11:41 AM

Most people remember kicking LSU and UK's ass. No one really pays attention to how this team did the last month of the season.

UMass 34-23 - not a great game
Bama 24-31 - Best game we played them in Mullen's career but still lost with questionable play calling at the end
Ark 28-21 - with a coach about to be fired
UM 28-31 - Fitz went down but Mullen had his normal lay down game. Burning clock without regards to the score and just score to make it look closer.

msstate7
10-04-2018, 11:42 AM

Impossible. We're on the same talent level as vandy... worse even, they're better than us in every sec conference offensive category

Dawg61
10-04-2018, 11:48 AM

Thinking we'd be 5-0 isn't impossible expectations. The never ending comments about how Moorhead has wasted our most talented team ever are. How many players on our starting 22 start on our 2014 team?

msstate7
10-04-2018, 11:50 AM
And while JS is a much better pro prospect, auburn would be much better with fitz running the offense. Gus needs a running threat at qb

Really Clark?
10-04-2018, 11:51 AM
Most people remember kicking LSU and UK's ass. No one really pays attention to how this team did the last month of the season.

UMass 34-23 - not a great game
Bama 24-31 - Best game we played them in Mullen's career but still lost with questionable play calling at the end
Ark 28-21 - with a coach about to be fired
UM 28-31 - Fitz went down but Mullen had his normal lay down game. Burning clock without regards to the score and just score to make it look closer.

Then beat Louisville in the bowl game with the back up QB, no HC or coordinators from the staff. Using GA’s to fill spots

Dawg61
10-04-2018, 11:54 AM
And while JS is a much better pro prospect, auburn would be much better with fitz running the offense. Gus needs a running threat at qb

Who you starting over Dak, JRob, DeRunnya and Jameon Lewis from our 2014 team? I mean since this is the most talented team ever we surely would have at least a couple of our main weapons on offense starting over that team right?

ShotgunDawg
10-04-2018, 11:55 AM

Gus would actually be a great fit at MSU due to the style of offense he runs.

At Auburn, I feel like he is often pigeon holes himself with passing QBs.

Liverpooldawg
10-04-2018, 11:56 AM
Thinking we'd be 5-0 isn't impossible expectations. The never ending comments about how Moorhead has wasted our most talented team ever are. How many players on our starting 22 start on our 2014 team?

It's not our most talented team ever, far from it, but it's certainly talented enough to beat UK and Florida. This week is another matter.

ShotgunDawg
10-04-2018, 11:56 AM
Who you starting over Dak, JRob, DeRunnya and Jameon Lewis from our 2014 team? I mean since this is the most talented team ever we surely would have at least a couple of our main weapons on offense starting over that team right?

Jameon was hurt in the LSU game that year. So he doesn't really count.

Other than that, Guidry would start for that team as would the interior of our OL.

Defensively, we have a number of guys that would have started for that team.

Tbonewannabe
10-04-2018, 12:00 PM
Then beat Louisville in the bowl game with the back up QB, no HC or coordinators from the staff. Using GA’s to fill spots

I am not saying we didn't have talent but the team rallied around Knox and did what they needed to do. It also helps going against a Sirmon defense. I am just saying we weren't consistently beating everyone's ass like we did LSU and UK. I was thinking we had a top ten type team but you never can tell.

Not many coaches come in and install a new system and immediately improve the team unless there were major problems before. I personally thought our offense would be close enough that it wouldn't have as big of a learning curve but that was obviously wrong.

JoMo doesn't win Offensive Coordinator of the Year because his offense sucks. I haven't seen anyone explain what is being screwed up except having the Oline in stance for about 30 seconds. I think that is a problem but I am also not calling plays and I don't see the benefit of it.

dawgday166
10-04-2018, 12:02 PM
Then beat Louisville in the bowl game with the back up QB, no HC or coordinators from the staff. Using GA?s to fill spots

Louisville sucked. Peter Sirmon D.

dawgday166
10-04-2018, 12:03 PM

Other than that, Guidry would start for that team as would the interior of our OL.

Outside of Simmons, Sweat, and Abrams, who would start on that defense. Maybe McLaurin. Those corners were better than the ones we have now. So were the backers. Preston Smith ... he pretty good too.

Tbonewannabe
10-04-2018, 12:08 PM
Outside of Simmons, Sweat, and Abrams, who would start on that defense. Maybe McLaurin. Those corners were better than the ones we have now. So were the backers. Preston Smith ... he pretty good too.

Preston has proved in the NFL that he should have been a 1st round pick.

Cooterpoot
10-04-2018, 12:10 PM

Several would be in their rotation and several would start. And since you're defending the coach, let me pass on what an official that had one of our games said about our coaches and players. He said Moorhead was completely confused and flustered trying to call plays and our players acted like thugs. This from an official on the field. He said we have no coaching whatsoever. Been calling games for around 15 years. Said he never saw that with Mullen or the players before this year.

Really Clark?
10-04-2018, 12:13 PM
Louisville sucked. Peter Sirmon D.

.....and we had a shell of a coaching staff and back up QB. It’s not like many on here had us winning before the game. There were several predicting we would be blown out by Jackson and Petrino

msstate7
10-04-2018, 12:17 PM
Several would be in their rotation and several would start. And since you're defending the coach, let me pass on what an official that had one of our games said about our coaches and players. He said Moorhead was completely confused and flustered trying to call plays and our players acted like thugs. This from an official on the field. He said we have no coaching whatsoever. Been calling games for around 15 years. Said he never saw that with Mullen or the players before this year.

That ref just doesn't recognize "championship standard" when he sees it

BrunswickDawg
10-04-2018, 12:21 PM

Guidry start over Fred Ross, Fred Brown, or joe Morrow? Not from what I've seen so far.

ShotgunDawg
10-04-2018, 12:25 PM

One the LBs would've started over Richie. Another DL would've started as well

Tbonewannabe
10-04-2018, 12:29 PM

Richie called the defense, any of our LBs seem like they would be successful doing that? Errol might have started over Richie but Richie did make plays. Richie scores on the pick 6 that Gay let bounce off him.

ShotgunDawg
10-04-2018, 12:32 PM
Guidry start over Fred Ross, Fred Brown, or joe Morrow? Not from what I've seen so far.

He's way better than Morrow.

I think Guidry is Fred Brown 2.0

Remember who Guidry has throwing to him & remember that he is BY FAR our most talented WR meaning that teams are focusing on not allowing him to get open.

If Guidry has Dak throwing him the ball & Bear & Ross also on offense to make the defense make decisions about who to shade their coverage too, & Guidry would be having a huge year

ShotgunDawg
10-04-2018, 12:33 PM
Richie called the defense, any of our LBs seem like they would be successful doing that? Errol might have started over Richie but Richie did make plays. Richie scores on the pick 6 that Gay let bounce off him.

Pretty sure Errol would start over Richie & I don't judge LBs by their ability to catch the ball.

You're probably correct that Richie catches that pick 6, but that's kind of irrelevant when determining who the better talent is.

dawgday166
10-04-2018, 12:35 PM

Richie didn't start. BMac, Benny Brown, & Matt Wells.

Really Clark?
10-04-2018, 12:45 PM

Ross Brown and Marrow didn’t start in 2014.

Johnson85
10-04-2018, 01:36 PM

Most talented team ever doesn't mean that every starter on the 2018 team is better than every starter on the 2014 team. 2014 had better WRs and a better QB, RB is basically a push, based on the way they played last year, this Oline should be better but with less depth. On D, starting DL were probably similar, but this year has more depth. LBs in 2014 were better. CBs in 2014 were better. Safeties in 2018 are significantly better.

But yes, this is potentially only the second best team we've ever had that is about to go somewhere between 5-7 and 7-5 when we have a pretty manageable schedule.

drunkernhelldawg
10-04-2018, 01:48 PM
We've taken two bad losses, but we still have a chance to turn it around. Fact is that every team in our conference is full of talent. Gotta block and catch the damn ball if you want to win.

smootness
10-04-2018, 02:41 PM

If that 2014 team had started 3-2 with losses to Kentucky and Florida, or shoot even games 4-5 of that year (LSU and A&M) where our offense looked like hot garbage, nobody would be singing the praises of Wilson, Lewis, Robinson, the OL, the secondary, etc.

That's the funny thing about looking really good vs. looking really bad. Before the year started, you would say Hill, Guidry, 2-3 OL, Simmons, Sweat, maybe Rivers, at least 1 LB (Gay/Lewis/Thompson), Abram, Peters, and Cole all potentially start on that team.

But once you lose to Kentucky and Florida while not moving the ball, those players look suddenly much worse.

smootness
10-04-2018, 02:42 PM

But this is exactly the point. When the offense looks like garbage, the individual players will also inevitably look like garbage. Guidry undoubtedly has more talent than any of those guys.

smootness
10-04-2018, 02:51 PM

You realize before the Kentucky game you said, 'We have better players and a better coach than the 2014 team'?

Here you go: https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?69572-UK-Players-Just-Won-t-Shut-Up&p=994553#post994553

And this is precisely my point.

Johnson85
10-04-2018, 04:53 PM
But this is exactly the point. When the offense looks like garbage, the individual players will also inevitably look like garbage. Guidry undoubtedly has more talent than any of those guys.

I'm not sure that's true. Guidry has measurables, but he didn't blow it up at Hinds either did he? It certainly could be our offense holding him back rather than him, but I'd need to see something to say he's more talented than Bear and Ross. Bear and Ross didn't have NFL measurables, but they were both good college wrs. There are lots of WRs that have NFL size and speed that still weren't more talented than them.

Of course Ross didn't look very good his last year, so that certainly backs up that individual performance is impacted by the team.

Tbonewannabe
10-04-2018, 04:57 PM
I'm not sure that's true. Guidry has measurables, but he didn't blow it up at Hinds either did he? It certainly could be our offense holding him back rather than him, but I'd need to see something to say he's more talented than Bear and Ross. Bear and Ross didn't have NFL measurables, but they were both good college wrs. There are lots of WRs that have NFL size and speed that still weren't more talented than them.

Of course Ross didn't look very good his last year, so that certainly backs up that individual performance is impacted by the team.

Reggie Todd is actually blowing it up at Juco. Whatever he got kicked out of school for is probably going to bite us in the ass.

DownwardDawg
10-04-2018, 05:08 PM

Lol. There’s not a single damn linebacker on our team that would start over Richie. That was a stupid post. While not as athletic as the ones we have now, he actually hustled, read offenses, and yelled out to the defense what the opposing offense was about to do. Dude........ that was terrible.

BuckyIsAB****
10-04-2018, 07:08 PM

I'd like to see what your predictions were going into the year. If they included losing to UK and UF and looking like a hot pile of garbage in both of them on offense then you can have all my vcash

Goldendawg
10-04-2018, 07:47 PM
It's not our most talented team ever, far from it, but it's certainly talented enough to beat UK and Florida. This week is another matter.

Heck, I bet even Sly and Woody could have taken this team and be 5 - 0 YTD. ..............................Wait a minute, they would probably lost 3 - 2!!!! Hope we don't see a repeat of that Sat. Worse FB game I have seen in 55 years of going to the now DWS. Hail State!

Goldendawg
10-04-2018, 07:50 PM
Reggie Todd is actually blowing it up at Juco. Whatever he got kicked out of school for is probably going to bite us in the ass.

Blowing it up at JUCO doesn't always equate to SEC success. Ask Jackie about us signing about 22 JUCO "All-Americans" one of his last years, including the entire D line from some Arizona JC. The next years only two from Ms were still starting.

Dawg61
10-04-2018, 08:00 PM

Jameon had 116 yards and a touchdown vs LSU in 2014. You forget his long touchdown down the left side? He'd absolutely start over Guidry.

Coursesuper
10-04-2018, 08:09 PM
Jameon had 116 yards and a touchdown vs LSU in 2014. You forget his long touchdown down the left side? He'd absolutely start over Guidry.

Considering that they play completely different positions I'd doubt that.

Dawg61
10-04-2018, 08:16 PM
Considering that they play completely different positions I'd doubt that.

Lewis lined up in both the outside and slot positions. You starting Guidry over Morrow or Johnson? That's fine. 2014 team still had 4 starting playmakers all better than this 2018 team.

Really Clark?
10-04-2018, 08:32 PM
Lewis lined up in both the outside and slot positions. You starting Guidry over Morrow or Johnson? That's fine. 2014 team still had 4 starting playmakers all better than this 2018 team.

Morrow didn’t start either

Dawg61
10-04-2018, 08:39 PM
Morrow didn’t start either

I put Johnson there (that's what she said).

RougeDawg
10-04-2018, 09:13 PM
I'd like to see what your predictions were going into the year. If they included losing to UK and UF and looking like a hot pile of garbage in both of them on offense then you can have all my vcash

Yea. I?d be willing to bet less than 1% of the people on here actually thought we?d lose to either Kentucky or Florida. No one thought we?d lose to both of them.

I?d even be willing to bet the CroomCoast offense would?ve easily beaten UK and Florida. At least Croom ran with his workhorse running back(s).

JoMo has looked more like SlowMo the last two games and with all the bullshit changing the plays 3-4 times a snap, don?t bode well for changing up the SlowMo offense.

RougeDawg
10-04-2018, 09:19 PM
Double post.

smootness
10-05-2018, 09:45 AM
Yea. I?d be willing to bet less than 1% of the people on here actually thought we?d lose to either Kentucky or Florida. No one thought we?d lose to both of them.

I?d even be willing to bet the CroomCoast offense would?ve easily beaten UK and Florida. At least Croom ran with his workhorse running back(s).

JoMo has looked more like SlowMo the last two games and with all the bullshit changing the plays 3-4 times a snap, don?t bode well for changing up the SlowMo offense.

Shoot, Liverpool got killed just for telling everybody we might not destroy Kentucky.

I_Spy
10-05-2018, 09:57 AM
We should destroy everyone.

We have Fitz, Hill, A-Train, and Gibson

Can’t nick Gibson catch passes for big plays? Can’t the a-train get thru a wall? And how talented is Hill? Slick Nick catches them when they asleep for 35 rush yards ..the line isn’t terrible

The D is good and we have a fairly good field goal kicker

No excuses

drunkernhelldawg
10-05-2018, 10:05 AM
One man we're really missing is Jacksonville Jaguars punter Logan Cooke.

Dawg61
10-05-2018, 10:11 AM
Shoot, Liverpool got killed just for telling everybody we might not destroy Kentucky.

Great and Jameis Winston has gone a day before without assaulting any uber drivers. Liverpool was right that we aren't nearly as good as we think we are. He isn't right in giving Mullen Urbanlike appraisal all the time though.

Bothrops
10-05-2018, 10:29 AM
how many of our starting 22 besides Simmons & Sweat would start for Auburn or LSU?

Erroll Thompson, Cole, Jenkins, Rivers, maybe Lewis, Gay Jr., D Williams, and maybe one of the TE's.

drunkernhelldawg
10-05-2018, 10:36 AM
I do actually think that the drop off in punting is a bigger factor than it seems. In 2017, Cooke dropped 20 of 52 punts inside the 20. In 2016, the number was 22 of 44. I know we can't just replace his level of talent, but his performance gave us a huge advantage while we're getting the opposite from our current punting game. We've got to do better here.

https://www.footballdb.com/college-football/players/logan-cooke-cooke0008