PDA

View Full Version : Mullen Here 9 Years, & Never Developed A Head Coach Candidate

ShotgunDawg
10-04-2018, 09:20 AM
I think this is almost as incredible as Moorhead trying to fix an offense that didn't need to be fixed.

How is it that Dan Mullen was at MSU for 9 years & never produced anything close to an offensive head coach?

Urban Meyer produced Mullen, Herman, Ryan Day, Addazio, etc & Mullen produced nothing.

After 9 years of successful football, MSU should've had an assistant that was ready take over yet there was absolutely no one.

I just find that odd.

TNDawg35
10-04-2018, 09:22 AM
Knox would be as close as it comes. I thought he did an excellent job at the bowl game. I find it about as ironic as how many d coordinators he had. I just wish we could have really kept Grantham.

Cooterpoot
10-04-2018, 09:22 AM
Hev for HC!

Political Hack
10-04-2018, 09:26 AM
Hud.

Really Clark?
10-04-2018, 09:28 AM
Nm

ShotgunDawg
10-04-2018, 09:29 AM
Hud.

He would be the closest but was only here one year & wasn't really a Mullen guy

msstate7
10-04-2018, 09:30 AM
Collins

ShotgunDawg
10-04-2018, 09:30 AM
Nm

I said "offensive head coach"

Additionally, he left & went to Florida before going to Temple. Doesn't fit the criteria

Basically, Mullen never developed a Protege which is odd.

ShotgunDawg
10-04-2018, 09:31 AM
Collins

Damn, would you guy read what I wrote?

msstate7
10-04-2018, 09:31 AM

Additionally, he left & went to Florida before going to Temple. Doesn't fit the criteria

Sorry

smootness
10-04-2018, 09:35 AM
Probably because he was the one calling plays most years, but technically he did produce Hudspeth. He had been a HC at North Alabama, but I would count that.

And I think Brian Johnson will be a HC eventually.

The only two OCs he's had are Koenning (who was never going to be a HC candidate) and the Gonzales/Hevesy co-team, and everyone knows they're not calling plays or anything.

He just hasn't set it up that way, it's not that he can't produce coaches.

Really Clark?

That’s why I deleted my post

smootness

He was there for 2.

TrapGame
10-04-2018, 09:36 AM

I thought he was here two years, '09 and '10.

Jack Lambert
10-04-2018, 09:40 AM
He will not be at Florida nine years. They will not put up with some of his bone head decisions and I don't see him beating GA. GA will be his Alabama and he will not win the East and if he isn't winning the East in three years he is gone.

BrunswickDawg
10-04-2018, 09:46 AM
Probably because he was the one calling plays most years, but technically he did produce Hudspeth. He had been a HC at North Alabama, but I would count that.

And I think Brian Johnson will be a HC eventually.

The only two OCs he's had are Koenning (who was never going to be a HC candidate) and the Gonzales/Hevesy co-team, and everyone knows they're not calling plays or anything.

I don't know if you can call hud part of the Mullen "coaching twig". He went 44-17 at UNA and won 3 conference titles. We were a stepping stone. If Hud had stuck here for 4-5 seasons and then moved on, I think you could.

And, if it is true that Hud was forced on Mullen, then you really can't count it.

TrapGame
10-04-2018, 09:50 AM
I don't know if you can call hud part of the Mullen "coaching twig". He went 44-17 at UNA and won 3 conference titles. We were a stepping stone. If Hud had stuck here for 4-5 seasons and then moved on, I think you could.

And, if it is true that Hud was forced on Mullen, then you really can't count it.

From what I gather Mullen and Hud were like oil and water. To say they didn't get along was an understatement.

fader2103
10-04-2018, 09:55 AM
Tony Hughes.....oops just re read. You mentioned offensive

smootness
10-04-2018, 09:55 AM

I didn't realize there were stipulations on this.

But Mullen's been a HC for 9 years. He left Meyer after 8, and he was the first one from that 'tree'. So is it really all that unusual either way?

We're also using one of the best college HCs ever as a comparison. Why? Is the argument that Mullen =/= Meyer? Because that is obvious.

ShotgunDawg
10-04-2018, 10:01 AM

But Mullen's been a HC for 9 years. He left Meyer after 8, and he was the first one from that 'tree'. So is it really all that unusual either way?

We're also using one of the best college HCs ever as a comparison. Why? Is the argument that Mullen =/= Meyer? Because that is obvious.

Urban Meyer Coaching Tree:

Mike Vrabel
Dan Mullen
Kyle Wittingham
Charlie Strong
Tom Herman
Steve Addazio
DJ Durkin
Ryan Day

smootness
10-04-2018, 10:05 AM

Mike Vrabel
Dan Mullen
Kyle Wittingham
Charlie Strong
Tom Herman
Steve Addazio
DJ Durkin
Ryan Day

Well, you said offensive, so strike Vrabel, Whittingham, Strong, and Durkin. Mullen was the 1st offensive guy.

And again, this is Urban Meyer. His last two stops have been Florida and Ohio State. Of course he's produced head coaches. Why, exactly, are we comparing Mullen to him?

ShotgunDawg
10-04-2018, 10:08 AM
Well, you said offensive, so strike Vrabel, Whittingham, Strong, and Durkin. Mullen was the 1st offensive guy.

And again, this is Urban Meyer. His last two stops have been Florida and Ohio State. Of course he's produced head coaches. Why, exactly, are we comparing Mullen to him?

I was just listing Urban's coaching tree. If you want to include Collins, that's fine. Doesn't really change the overall point

I'm just comparing him to Meyer to make a point that after 9 years, it's frustrating that Mullen never produced 1 coach that was remotely ready of capable of taking over for him.

msstate7
10-04-2018, 10:09 AM

Mike Vrabel
Dan Mullen
Kyle Wittingham
Charlie Strong
Tom Herman
Steve Addazio
DJ Durkin
Ryan Day

How many offensive in first 9 years?

ShotgunDawg
10-04-2018, 10:11 AM
How many offensive in first 9 years?

Addazio & Mullen

Wittingham, Strong, & Durkin were also in the first 9 years but were defensive

msstate7
10-04-2018, 10:13 AM
Addazio & Mullen

Wittingham, Strong, & Durkin were also in the first 9 years but were defensive

2 to Mullen's 1. 5 overall to Mullen's 3

sandwolf
10-04-2018, 10:18 AM
Probably because he was the one calling plays

This. He is the OC on his teams.

thf24
10-04-2018, 10:26 AM

Well he never will if he's the defacto OC and he keeps his capped out buddies in the executive spots. So by nature of the way he sets things up, he can't produce offensive coaches. Brian Johnson will have to serve under someone else as a real OC at a high profile program before he gets his shot.

ShotgunDawg
10-04-2018, 10:35 AM
2 to Mullen's 1. 5 overall to Mullen's 3

Who are Mullen's?

BrunswickDawg
10-04-2018, 10:35 AM

I think when most people think of a coaching tree, you think of coaches who moved through the ranks with someone and then move up to their own team. Mullen was with Meyer for a long time. Moved from ND to Bowling Green, to Utah, to UF. Or, you think of a longer-tenured OC or DC who learns from their HC and then moves up. Dan didn't really produce either in my book. Hud was brought in by our AD because he liked him. Collins, you could maybe argue since he went from co-DC, to DC. Even then, he had already been a successful DC at UCF. Collins worked for O'Leary 3 different times at 2 schools as a GA, Recruiting Coord., and DC. That's what I think of when I think of a coaching tree.

msstate7
10-04-2018, 10:36 AM
Who are Mullen's?

Hud, Collins, and hughes

ShotgunDawg
10-04-2018, 10:38 AM
Hud, Collins, and hughes

LOL. OK

msstate7
10-04-2018, 10:42 AM
LOL. OK

I guess there were other stipulations.

smootness
10-04-2018, 10:57 AM
I'm just comparing him to Meyer to make a point that after 9 years, it's frustrating that Mullen never produced 1 coach that was remotely ready of capable of taking over for him.

Why is that frustrating?

StateDawg44
10-04-2018, 11:08 AM
Yeah who really cares?

Really Clark?
10-04-2018, 11:11 AM

Mike Vrabel
Dan Mullen
Kyle Wittingham
Charlie Strong
Tom Herman
Steve Addazio
DJ Durkin
Ryan Day

See some of those I don?t put under his coaching tree like Charlie Strong. He was already a DC and developed philosophy years prio. Was a well thought of up and comer long before staying on with Urban

Tbonewannabe
10-04-2018, 11:17 AM
He will not be at Florida nine years. They will not put up with some of his bone head decisions and I don't see him beating GA. GA will be his Alabama and he will not win the East and if he isn't winning the East in three years he is gone.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Jack Lambert again.

Tbonewannabe
10-04-2018, 11:23 AM
Why is that frustrating?

Because everyone bitching that Cohen went out and hired the top offensive Coordinator in college football, if we hired Mullen's right hand guy then at least we would be running the exact same offense. If Mullen would have had someone that was ready to take over then it is a lot smoother transition. It might have still led to a 3-2 record but then you at least eliminate the problem of trying to install a different offense.

StateDawg44
10-04-2018, 11:28 AM
Meh.... that's just as hypothetical but makes some sense.

msstate7
10-04-2018, 11:34 AM
Because everyone bitching that Cohen went out and hired the top offensive Coordinator in college football, if we hired Mullen's right hand guy then at least we would be running the exact same offense. If Mullen would have had someone that was ready to take over then it is a lot smoother transition. It might have still led to a 3-2 record but then you at least eliminate the problem of trying to install a different offense.

Penn st is better offensively this season without Barkley, gesicki, and Moorhead. Perhaps joe wasn't as great as thought. Rahne and franklin haven't missed him at all

Really Clark?
10-04-2018, 11:41 AM
Penn st is better offensively this season without Barkley, gesicki, and Moorhead. Perhaps joe wasn't as great as thought. Rahne and franklin haven't missed him at all

It has more to do with having a great QB in his 3rd year in the same system. Franklin is not the cog in that either. And they scored 14 pts more vs Ohio St last year.

Tbonewannabe
10-04-2018, 12:07 PM

They have arguably the best QB in the country in the same system. Rahne is running JoMo's system, not something new. This tells me that maybe JoMo should let someone call plays from the booth instead of trying to do it all himself. Not many head coaches can be successful calling all of the plays. Auburn actually improved when Gus quit calling the plays.

dawgday166
10-04-2018, 12:08 PM
Y'all gotta remember that Mullen went to FL and took his whole staff. That helps a good bit. Moorhead hired guys from all over ... and not sure all of them are good fits.