PDA

View Full Version : Osiris Mitchell is taking too much heat

cheewgumm
10-04-2018, 01:00 AM
On the drop, he beat his man by 3 - 4 yards. We complain about our receivers not getting separation.

Well he did. That?s half the battle and more than many of our receivers gave been able to do.

We should be praising him fir getting separation.

First time ive seen that in years!!

Commercecomet24
10-04-2018, 01:18 AM
Osiris has been good this year. Against uk he's about the only offensive player that played well. That's his first drop(albeit it was at a very bad time). He's had pretty good separation all year and if he doesn't let that drop get in his head he can help us a lot this year.

BhamDawg205
10-04-2018, 02:15 AM
While the ball hit him in the hands... Just imagine if that ball had air to run under after you beat two guys?

Lord McBuckethead
10-04-2018, 02:22 AM
Osiris and Guidry have both been pretty good. Mitchel has been one of our best this year. Hope the young man let's that one drop go and take the next step.

Hambone
10-04-2018, 04:56 AM
Well what’s the point of getting separation if you aren’t going to catch the ball. It’d be different if that play was an anomaly, however he’s dropped quite a few. But hey, at least he’s getting separation! ***

Matt3467
10-04-2018, 06:04 AM
Well what’s the point of getting separation if you aren’t going to catch the ball. It’d be different if that play was an anomaly, however he’s dropped quite a few. But hey, at least he’s getting separation! ***

Yea, I seem to recall him dropping another pass in the Florida game on a 3rd down that would've given us a first down. Hit him right in the hands.

Hambone
10-04-2018, 06:31 AM
We have our very own Clifford Franklin!

Dawg61
10-04-2018, 06:58 AM
I like Osirus but we lost by a touchdown.

Dawgology
10-04-2018, 07:14 AM
It was a bad drop but it also wasn't the perfect pass everyone is saying. He had to turn around to catch it. But...it hit him squarly in the hands. He should have caught the damn thing.

Dental Dawg33
10-04-2018, 07:24 AM
Yea, I seem to recall him dropping another pass in the Florida game on a 3rd down that would've given us a first down. Hit him right in the hands.

Guidry did as well I think on 3rd down, first drive of the game. No, can’t be perfect all the time but you’re a D1 SEC athlete. Hard to excuse easy drops

whosyourdawgy
10-04-2018, 07:51 AM
While the ball hit him in the hands... Just imagine if that ball had air to run under after you beat two guys?

So basically you are blaming Fitz on that pass? Is that what I’m reading?

Commercecomet24
10-04-2018, 07:58 AM

That was Guidry

Really Clark?
10-04-2018, 07:59 AM
It was a bad drop but it also wasn't the perfect pass everyone is saying. He had to turn around to catch it. But...it hit him squarly in the hands. He should have caught the damn thing.

Turn around? I guess, if not breaking stride and turning upper body a few inches toward the ball is turning the receiver around from 40 yards away. Good grief

ShotgunDawg
10-04-2018, 08:00 AM
That was Guidry

I'm pretty sure Osiris dropped another as well.

ShotgunDawg
10-04-2018, 08:01 AM

It was perfect. No excuse

thf24
10-04-2018, 08:03 AM
Drops are going to happen, but they're less costly and a lot easier to excuse when they don't come on such a low number of balls on target. Or even just a chance to make a play on.

whosyourdawgy
10-04-2018, 08:04 AM
That was Guidry

The one he is talking about was most definitely 87. Not gonna get down on Osiris but he has 2 critical drops last Saturday. He wasn’t the only one that stunk up Davis Wade tho. It was a team effort

whosyourdawgy
10-04-2018, 08:10 AM
Guidry has the first drop of the game that was reviewed by replay.

bluelightstar
10-04-2018, 08:13 AM
Drops are going to happen, but they're less costly and a lot easier to excuse when they don't come on such a low number of balls on target. Or even just a chance to make a play on.

Exactly -- our drops are magnified because there's so few times per game where the passes are in the right zip code.

BrunswickDawg
10-04-2018, 08:16 AM
The one he is talking about was most definitely 87. Not gonna get down on Osiris but he has 2 critical drops last Saturday. He wasn’t the only one that stunk up Davis Wade tho. It was a team effort

The Guidry drop was a play when Fitz got flushed out of the pocket toward the near sideline. Guidry was just past the 1st down marker. The throw was a little downfield of Guidry, and Guidry reached out with 1 hand to grab it instead trying move into position to catch with 2 hands. All it would have taken is a step downfield and he could have gotten 2 hands on it. Guidry had a defender upfield, so he should have anticipated the ball being thrown on the downfield side away from the defender. It wasn't a terrible drop - but it was the kind of play that separates next level receivers from pack. Fred Ross or Bear makes that catch.

tcdog70
10-04-2018, 08:20 AM

what? are you finding fault with the pass? stupid post.

Dawgology
10-04-2018, 08:37 AM
It was perfect. No excuse

It was a good throw but it wasn't perfect. He had to slow down and turn around. It would not have been a touchdown because when he slowed down both defenders were on him. Please go back and watch it. Watch Wyatt's film study on it. Again...he should have caught the ball and it was a HUGE stupid drop. But that needs to be out in front of him so he can trot into the end zone.

ShotgunDawg
10-04-2018, 08:48 AM
It was a good throw but it wasn't perfect. He had to slow down and turn around. It would not have been a touchdown because when he slowed down both defenders were on him. Please go back and watch it. Watch Wyatt's film study on it. Again...he should have caught the ball and it was a HUGE stupid drop. But that needs to be out in front of him so he can trot into the end zone.

I just find it to be completely delusional that anyone could complain about that throw. This isn't PlayStation

whosyourdawgy
10-04-2018, 08:49 AM
We must be watching a different video. He catches that ball he trots into the end zone

sleepy dawg
10-04-2018, 08:53 AM

Is there a perfect? It was as good as any receiver could really ever ask for. 99% of the time that's a TD for any receiver in that position.

Cooterpoot
10-04-2018, 08:55 AM
Mitchell is our best WR. You can complain about the drop but he's still our best WR.

Dawgology
10-04-2018, 08:55 AM
I just find it to be completely delusional that anyone could complain about that throw. This isn't PlayStation

Literally NOT complaining about it because it's one of Fitz's best passes this year. So against that baseline threshold it's the greatest pass ever. However it was a little behind the receiver which has been symptomatic of Fitz's throws all year. He's always a little behind, a lot behind, or overthrowing by 5 yards. I think his best pass this year was to Guidry on the sideline for a TD against The Cajuns I think. He hit Guidry IN STRIDE with the ball in front of him and he walked into the end zone.

I really believe it's a timing issue for Fitz. The ball is coming out too soon or too late even when he has time. He's making his reads ok but his timing is off with his receivers. I think this is a result of him missing so much practice when he was injured. That's a silver lining. As the season progresses he should get more in tune with his receivers.

End of the day...Mullen royally ****ed Fitz. If Mullen is here I think Fitz gets drafted late round. Mullen's system camouflaged some of Fitz's deficiencies. Now...no way.

smootness
10-04-2018, 08:56 AM
I'm pretty sure Osiris dropped another as well.

He did.

Really Clark?
10-04-2018, 08:56 AM

Where he calls it a perfect pass?

ShotgunDawg
10-04-2018, 09:04 AM
Mitchell is our best WR. You can complain about the drop but he's still our best WR.

Guidry and Mixon are

Dawgology
10-04-2018, 09:08 AM
Where he calls it a perfect pass?

Ok...you all are right. It's the most perfect pass that a QB has ever thrown. It's a completely perfect pass.

Really Clark?
10-04-2018, 09:15 AM
Ok...you all are right. It's the most perfect pass that a QB has ever thrown. It's a completely perfect pass.

Glad you see the light

Cooterpoot
10-04-2018, 09:24 AM
Guidry and Mixon are

Nope. Both have as just about as many drops in fewer targets and they aren't getting open. Guidry would be 3rd behind Mitchell and Mixon probably. He's not getting it done on the field to this point. How much of that is the QB though? Scheme? Who knows?????

BhamDawg205
10-04-2018, 09:25 AM
what? are you finding fault with the pass? stupid post.

Oh so guess I your eyes Nick does no wrong... Point was A hole both F'd up. But I guess we lowered our definition for on the money passes. Hell maybe he surprised it was even close. Those drops are magnified becuase, there low percentage Nick will get it to them.

ShotgunDawg
10-04-2018, 09:33 AM
Nope. Both have as just about as many drops in fewer targets and they aren't getting open. Guidry would be 3rd behind Mitchell and Mixon probably. He's not getting it done on the field to this point. How much of that is the QB though? Scheme? Who knows?????

Good lord you have no idea what you're looking at.

I bet you know how each is being covered as well.

Really Clark?
10-04-2018, 09:34 AM
Oh so guess I your eyes Nick does no wrong... Point was A hole both F'd up. But I guess we lowered our definition for on the money passes. Hell maybe he surprised it was even close. Those drops are magnified becuase, there low percentage Nick will get it to them.

You have plenty of passes to criticize the QB with, that is not one. And it was about as on the money from 40 way as it gets. At 40 yards hitting a WR within a yard window over 2 defenders, that’s money and if caught would have been a money TD

tcdog70
10-04-2018, 10:27 AM

it was magnified because he would have scored a TD and we would have probably won the game. Fitz has some things to criticize but this pass isn't one of them.

tcdog70
10-04-2018, 10:31 AM

I was worried about Guidry and stated so, only to be told He is NFL quality. He had a very so-so career at Hinds. He has showed so far this year that he will drop a pass and doesn't get separation. I hope he proves me wrong and doesn't drop another pass. I keep waiting for Him to catch 1 50-50 ball.

NWADAWG
10-04-2018, 10:48 AM
Maybe a catchable pass caught him by surprise.

Behrdawg
10-04-2018, 10:55 AM
Lots of BS in this thread. He was wide open and should've caught the pass. End of story.

WinningIsRelentless
10-04-2018, 11:29 AM
It was a good route and a good pass, but it was a bad drop and not a great pass.

Should he have caught it, hell yes, but go look and he had to stutter step on his last stride to keep from overrunning it and still had to try and catch it on his back shoulder.

Bigedawg
10-04-2018, 11:52 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Osirus dropped a pass on the final drive of the game that would have given us a first down. I can't remember if it was 2nd or 3rd down but that drop may have been more critical than the dropped TD pass in the grand scheme of the game.

Dawgology
10-04-2018, 01:06 PM
It was a good route and a good pass, but it was a bad drop and not a great pass.

Should he have caught it, hell yes, but go look and he had to stutter step on his last stride to keep from overrunning it and still had to try and catch it on his back shoulder.

Exactly. It wasn't a perfect pass but it still should have been caught. But don't say that too loud around here. It's the perfect pass, you know.

bulldawg28
10-04-2018, 06:38 PM
Exactly. It wasn't a perfect pass but it still should have been caught. But don't say that too loud around here. It's the perfect pass, you know.

That's as perfect as it gets. He ran under the ball and it hit him in both hands in stride.

WinningIsRelentless
10-04-2018, 06:40 PM
That's as perfect as it gets. He ran under the ball and it hit him in both hands in stride.

No it wasn?t. He had to stutter step and still had to try and catch it on his back shoulder.

Really Clark?
10-04-2018, 07:15 PM
No it wasn?t. He had to stutter step and still had to try and catch it on his back shoulder.

The ball was in face, not back shoulder. Tried to photo it from Wyatt?s video breakdown on my phone but it is clearly directly in his face

Goldendawg
10-04-2018, 07:28 PM
Correct me if I am wrong. Isn't Mitchell one of the three WR's Dan signed after the normal signing day and he is a former basketball player with only a couple of years playing FB? Dan and staff killed us on getting SEC caliber WR's. BTW, watching the film again, it looked like Mitchell had his hands turned wrong and actually batted the ball down. I am an ex-receiver in HS and actually caught 2 TD's and 3 two point conversions in 1972 and we actually won 4 of 10 games that year. (Does this make me an expert on position of your hands or am I just humming "Glory Days" by B. Springteen as I type this?***).

PassInterference
10-04-2018, 10:40 PM
On the drop, he beat his man by 3 - 4 yards. We complain about our receivers not getting separation.

Well he did. That?s half the battle and more than many of our receivers gave been able to do.

We should be praising him fir getting separation.

First time ive seen that in years!!

**** that he should catch the damn football.

yjnkdawg
10-04-2018, 10:42 PM
That's probably one of the best long passes that he is going to see this year (from Fitz). I think he was trying to run before he secured the ball. All that is hopefully water under the bridge now, and he will learn from that, and move on forward.

yjnkdawg
10-04-2018, 10:45 PM
Correct me if I am wrong. Isn't Mitchell one of the three WR's Dan signed after the normal signing day and he is a former basketball player with only a couple of years playing FB? Dan and staff killed us on getting SEC caliber WR's. BTW, watching the film again, it looked like Mitchell had his hands turned wrong and actually batted the ball down. I am an ex-receiver in HS and actually caught 2 TD's and 3 two point conversions in 1972 and we actually won 4 of 10 games that year. (Does this make me an expert on position of your hands or am I just humming "Glory Days" by B. Springteen as I type this?***).

I believe you are spot on. The Gonzo Country Club Syndrome sure didn't help our wr recruiting either.

chef dixon
10-04-2018, 11:12 PM
He absolutely should have caught it.

Oh by the way, congrats to Fitz on his one good throw in a competitive game this year.

ckDOG
10-04-2018, 11:40 PM
Should have been caught and in hindsight could be a season impacting drop. Trot in the endzone there and we are likely 4-1 ready to make noise against auburn. Instead, we are doubting ourselves. Does he deserve the entire blame? Absolutely not, but it does show how every possession and play can have a HUGE impact on a season and psyche of a team.

Catch the damn ball.