PDA

View Full Version : Guess how many points we've scored...

maroonmania
10-15-2013, 09:17 AM
in the 4th quarter against OK ST, Auburn, LSU and Bowling Green combined? If you said ZERO you are correct. That freaking sucks and we've got to figure out what the heck is going on with our offense late in games. Yes, we could have likely gotten a FG late against BG but against a tired MAC defense late in the 4th quarter we should have been able to shove it down their throat into the end zone and couldn't do it. It seems like after a likely scripted first series in the third quarter of games our offense is ready to hit the post game parties or something I guess. Good gracious, TA&M and OM each had 20 fourth quarter points or more in their game the other night.

bocfarm
10-15-2013, 09:50 AM
Stall ball doesn't work in football anymore unless your Bama....our 4th qrt offense is good for worst in the country...not good

msstate7
10-15-2013, 09:55 AM
This is a shame, but our kicker is as much to blame as our offense.

Political Hack
10-15-2013, 10:02 AM
We don't have a power run game when the opposing defense knows we're going to run. We also don't have the depth we need on the OL to still be fresh in the 4th.

I never thought I'd get there, but I'm wondering if Balis whipped their asses hard enough this summer.

DownwardDawg
10-15-2013, 10:07 AM
Guess how many halftime adjustments we've made at halftime? Is there a national stat for that?

msstate7
10-15-2013, 10:10 AM
I never thought I'd get there, but I'm wondering if Balis whipped their asses hard enough this summer.

I've been wondering this. We've gotten our butts handed to us in the 2nd halves for awhile now.

ckDOG
10-15-2013, 10:15 AM
Combo of coaching, lack of OL depth, and not using a bruising RB approach. I know Shumpert is green, but hell he should be able to run over some folks in the 4th. Get him some meaningful reps. That'd be an easy move to addressing our late game issues.

sleepy dawg
10-15-2013, 10:17 AM
What's weird is we have the most points scored in the 2nd quarter than any. To me 2nd and 4th quarters should be similar.

We currently have the worst kicker we've had since John Michael Marlin. It's really sad when you can't feel confident about letting your kicker attempt a 30 yard field goal. At this point I'd rather have our offense go for it or punt it every time. We are 8/17 on 4th down this year, including a couple of ridiculous fake punts. Bell is 5/10 on field goals this year. He is 1/4 from 30-39 yards, and 1/3 40-49.

Dawg61
10-15-2013, 10:25 AM
Combo of coaching, lack of OL depth, and not using a bruising RB approach. I know Shumpert is green, but hell he should be able to run over some folks in the 4th. Get him some meaningful reps. That'd be an easy move to addressing our late game issues.

This +1000 bring in Shumpert in the 4th and POUND on the defense! Almost like a closing pitcher in baseball Shumpert would be lights out.

Political Hack
10-15-2013, 10:29 AM
CDM loves Bell. he's good in practice, but can't convert in the games, which to me means it's mental. And kicking is 110% mental.

CDM's refusal to bench him and playing of Dak down the stretch despite God-awful offensive production during that stretch tells me that he's inclined to just start preparing for next year. Why we'd continue to play the two guys who aren't scoring when we have two on the sidelines who could is beyond me.

Jack Lambert
10-15-2013, 10:32 AM
CDM loves Bell. he's good in practice, but can't convert in the games, which to me means it's mental. And kicking is 110% mental.

CDM's refusal to bench him and playing of Dak down the stretch despite God-awful offensive production during that stretch tells me that he's inclined to just start preparing for next year. Why we'd continue to play the two guys who aren't scoring when we have two on the sidelines who could is beyond me.

I would be willing to bet that there is some guy already on the team that kicked in highschool and could make a 30 yarder now. I for one am sick of not having a good kicker. Seems to me the last one we had was back in 98.

Political Hack
10-15-2013, 11:00 AM
I would be willing to bet that there is some guy already on the team that kicked in highschool and could make a 30 yarder now. I for one am sick of not having a good kicker. Seems to me the last one we had was back in 98.

his name is Sobiesk and he's pretty damn solid from all accounts.

DownwardDawg
10-15-2013, 11:04 AM

Hasn't he only tried one kick this year and it was good?

maroonmania
10-15-2013, 11:22 AM

Yep, makes no sense at this point why Sobiesk hasn't at least been called on to kick the 30 to 45 yard range FGs which is where Bell is having his troubles. I'm convinced that Sobiesk must have kicked Mullen's dog or something. Mullen sure didn't have any problem with replacing Brauchle (a scholarship kicker) with DePasquale (a walk on kicker) in the earlier part of his tenure. From all reports Sobiesk was a heck of a kicker at Oak Grove.

maroonmania
10-15-2013, 11:24 AM

Well, just like on the 4th and 3, we apparently are determined to use Dak as our "battering ram" type back rather than an actual RB. Doesn't seem to be working late in games though.

maroonmania
10-15-2013, 11:27 AM
What's weird is we have the most points scored in the 2nd quarter than any. To me 2nd and 4th quarters should be similar.

We currently have the worst kicker we've had since John Michael Marlin. It's really sad when you can't feel confident about letting your kicker attempt a 30 yard field goal. At this point I'd rather have our offense go for it or punt it every time. We are 8/17 on 4th down this year, including a couple of ridiculous fake punts. Bell is 5/10 on field goals this year. He is 1/4 from 30-39 yards, and 1/3 40-49.

I personally believe Mullen just really wanted a TD there. I think he would have been fine with trotting Bell back out there if he had wanted the FG and technically Bell is 3-3 on FGs inside 30 yards.

MarketingBully01
10-15-2013, 11:48 AM
So he hits a higher percentage from 40-49 then 30-39? Wow, that is just plain bad. Of course, it is only by percentage points (33% vs 25%). He is just plain bad. No two bones about it. We need a kicker desperately. He cost us the Auburn game single handedly. He makes that other kick it puts a ton more pressure on Auburn and we play it completely different and our outlook as fans is completely different. 1-1 in the SEC looking at 5-2 going against USC. What a difference a kicker can make...

MarketingBully01
10-15-2013, 11:51 AM
Anyone can hit 3-3 from inside 30 yards. The difference maker kickers are the ones that hit from a high percentage in the 30-49 range which he is 2-7. That is just plain terrible.

CadaverDawg
10-15-2013, 11:55 AM
in the 4th quarter against OK ST, Auburn, LSU and Bowling Green combined? If you said ZERO you are correct. That freaking sucks and we've got to figure out what the heck is going on with our offense late in games. Yes, we could have likely gotten a FG late against BG but against a tired MAC defense late in the 4th quarter we should have been able to shove it down their throat into the end zone and couldn't do it. It seems like after a likely scripted first series in the third quarter of games our offense is ready to hit the post game parties or something I guess. Good gracious, TA&M and OM each had 20 fourth quarter points or more in their game the other night.

This cant be true. Any OLine coached by the great Hevesy would be able to wear down a MAC defense in the 4th quarter and run the ball down their throats.***

cbrunt29
10-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Mullen needs to hold an open tryout for the Kicking position. There's gotta be a soccer player on campus that can kick a freakin' 30 yard field goal.

Barking 13
10-15-2013, 12:43 PM
This cant be true. Any OLine coached by the great Hevesy would be able to wear down a MAC defense in the 4th quarter and run the ball down their throats.***

:p

DownwardDawg
10-15-2013, 01:02 PM
Mullen needs to hold an open tryout for the Kicking position. There's gotta be a soccer player on campus that can kick a freakin' 30 yard field goal.

No need. We have a kicker that can do that. His name is Sobiesk. Our great coach just refuses to use him.