PDA

View Full Version : Braves

msstate7
04-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Go into Washington and take first two. Maholm pitching for sweep tomorrow. Gattis hit 2 run homer over Strasbourg that was the difference. Braves may send early message to Nats without freeman, McCann, venters, and beachy

dickiedawg
04-13-2013, 04:12 PM
Go into Washington and take first two. Maholm pitching for sweep tomorrow. Gattis hit 2 run homer over Strasbourg that was the difference. Braves may send early message to Nats without freeman, McCann, venters, and beachy

Braves are hot right now, for sure. Don't want to get too excited- there's a long way to go, after all- but this series win over the Nats, facing their best arms, is a big, big plus. All this without all the pieces we're missing, as you mentioned? I am a little concerned with BJ and Heyward being no-shows so far, though. Don't think we can overcome them batting this poorly for long.

msstate7
04-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Braves are hot right now, for sure. Don't want to get too excited- there's a long way to go, after all- but this series win over the Nats, facing their best arms, is a big, big plus. All this without all the pieces we're missing, as you mentioned? I am a little concerned with BJ and Heyward being no-shows so far, though. Don't think we can overcome them batting this poorly for long.

I'm very concerned with bj and Heyward not hitting also. That said Heyward has had huge part in winning this series. He forced bad throw by Zimmerman last night and made one of the best catches I've seen in rf today. He needs to hit though...

Hattdawg
04-13-2013, 06:47 PM
Lovin watching the Braves so far this year. It's good that when they go to the bullpen with a closer the game is over.

The Croom Diaries
04-13-2013, 09:35 PM
Gattis is incredible. He is like Dave Windfield when he hits it, like a rocket shot off his bat. Even his ground ball outs get to the short stop in about half a second. If he were to play 130 games, no doubt he'd belt 35-40 HR. We'll see how he adjust to major league pitchers when they adjust to him, but the power isn't going away.

msstate7
04-13-2013, 09:46 PM
Gattis is incredible. He is like Dave Windfield when he hits it, like a rocket shot off his bat. Even his ground ball outs get to the short stop in about half a second. If he were to play 130 games, no doubt he'd belt 35-40 HR. We'll see how he adjust to major league pitchers when they adjust to him, but the power isn't going away.

When McCann gets back I wonder how many at bats gattis will get. McCann better come back hitting...

The Croom Diaries
04-14-2013, 07:33 AM
Should be an interesting decision for Frank Wren. When McCann comes back you've got him, Gattis and Laird. He could just send Gattis to AAA to keep getting ABs but obviously he's on fire hitting cleanup for the team with the best record in baseball and he is a perfect platoon being right-handed to McCann's left. Or they'll have to put Laird on waivers and he'd definitely get picked up as he's a solid backup catcher - and if injuries happen you'd hate to lose him for late in the year. McCann most likely won't be back next year with Gattis and Beckencourt (sp?) coming up. Tough call. I hate to say it but I think I'd send Gattis back to AAA for a few weeks, get plenty of reps at 1st base, then come back in June and have 3 catchers on the roster.

msstate7
04-14-2013, 01:33 PM
Braves at it again. 7-0 in the 3rd. J upton with solo shot. Simmons 3 run homer. C Johnson 2 run single. Gattis RBI double

Ghost of Hank Flick
04-14-2013, 02:43 PM
And Paul Maholm at it again. Still has a 0.00 ERA - he has found new life in a Braves uniform. I believe he has the best ERA or maybe W/L since the All-Star break last year? I heard it in passing so not 100% sure.

TopDog58
04-14-2013, 06:07 PM
And Paul Maholm at it again. Still has a 0.00 ERA - he has found new life in a Braves uniform. I believe he has the best ERA or maybe W/L since the All-Star break last year? I heard it in passing so not 100% sure.

That Maholm vs Tyler Moore at bat was fun. Not often you get to see an all MSU hitter-batter matchup in the big leagues.

War Machine Dawg
04-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Should be an interesting decision for Frank Wren. When McCann comes back you've got him, Gattis and Laird. He could just send Gattis to AAA to keep getting ABs but obviously he's on fire hitting cleanup for the team with the best record in baseball and he is a perfect platoon being right-handed to McCann's left. Or they'll have to put Laird on waivers and he'd definitely get picked up as he's a solid backup catcher - and if injuries happen you'd hate to lose him for late in the year. McCann most likely won't be back next year with Gattis and Beckencourt (sp?) coming up. Tough call. I hate to say it but I think I'd send Gattis back to AAA for a few weeks, get plenty of reps at 1st base, then come back in June and have 3 catchers on the roster.

Neither will happen. The most likely scenario is we keep Gattis up and try to sneak Schaefer through waivers. But it's likely someone will claim him. It really sucks, because he's worked his ass off to change his swing. And he's really only gotten to play 1 game, promptly collecting 4 hits. I still think he's going to be a really good player.

If it were me personally, I'd release Laird. I just don't see him as necessary. Gattis's D has been really good and the pitching staff loves the guy. But Fredi has a bug up his ass about having a rookie pitcher & rookie catcher as the battery. It's really dumb, considering Teheran pitched to Gattis in winter ball.