10-03-2018, 05:39 PM
Hope he's awarded it and the Braves have to forfeit next year's 1st round pick

ShotgunDawg
10-03-2018, 05:47 PM
Hope he's awarded it and the Braves have to forfeit next year's 1st round pick

I can't imagine he'll win this

msstate7
10-03-2018, 05:47 PM
This is a Hail Mary from your own goal line while down by 9 points.

BrunswickDawg
10-03-2018, 06:04 PM
Well if anyone can, it's Scott Boras.
Knowing him he has medical experts lined up to dispute the Braves diagnosis of the injury, etc. And after the Braves whole international signee stuff, he will probably paint it as a pattern of dishonesty within the organization.

ShotgunDawg
10-03-2018, 06:09 PM
Well if anyone can, it's Scott Boras.
Knowing him he has medical experts lined up to dispute the Braves diagnosis of the injury, etc. And after the Braves whole international signee stuff, he will probably paint it as a pattern of dishonesty within the organization.

Agree. I was actually just told that there is a chance he wins it. Apparently he turned over all the information prior to the draft and every team had full chance to examine it.

It's really a crappy situation for both sides. The Braves don't want to pay a defective player and apparently Stewart nor anyone else knew he was defective till after the draft.

Homedawg
10-03-2018, 06:28 PM

This has been in the works the entire time. He's gonna lose

Homedawg
10-03-2018, 06:29 PM
Agree. I was actually just told that there is a chance he wins it. Apparently he turned over all the information prior to the draft and every team had full chance to examine it.

It's really a crappy situation for both sides. The Braves don't want to pay a defective player and apparently Stewart nor anyone else knew he was defective till after the draft.

How's he gonna win? There is NO rule saying you have to offer slot. He's gonna lose.
Bottom line is he f'ed up not taking the money.

Commercecomet24
10-03-2018, 06:40 PM
No way he's gonna win this. Braves made him an offer he didn't take it. It's on him. Can't see him winning this. He just needs to play some juco this year and re enter draft next year.

Todd4State
10-03-2018, 11:19 PM
If he does win it he's getting himself off on the wrong foot of his new team. If he wanted to play pro baseball he should have just taken the money- heck they still offered him close to 2 million if I remember correctly.

The Federalist Engineer
10-04-2018, 12:57 PM
How's he gonna win? There is NO rule saying you have to offer slot. He's gonna lose.
Bottom line is he f'ed up not taking the money.

The claim is that you must be offered 40% of slot to receive a compensatory pick in the following draft. The Braves don't want to lose the pick but wouldn't give a shit if Stewart were a free agent.

The Braves stand to lose the #9 pick in the next draft. Outrageous for Braves fans because this is a triple penalty of losing Stewart in 2018, Hess (LSU pick) in 2018 and also the compensation in 2019.

Evidently, they could not shift the Stewart signing money to Hess to protect the compensation chip in 2019. Stewart indirectly gifted LSU an Ace pitcher, I hate Stewart now. Maybe we also pulled a scholly and lost a player while he toyed with playing for us?

msstate7
10-04-2018, 01:00 PM
The claim is that you must be offered 40% of slot to receive a compensatory pick in the following draft. The Braves don't want to lose the pick but wouldn't give a shit if Stewart were a free agent.

The Braves stand to lose the #9 pick in the next draft. Outrageous for Braves fans because this is a triple penalty of losing Stewart in 2018, Hess (LSU pick) in 2018 and also the compensation in 2019.

Evidently, they could not shift the Stewart signing money to Hess to protect the compensation chip in 2019. Stewart indirectly gifted LSU an Ace pitcher, I hate Stewart now. Maybe we also pulled a scholly and lost a player while he toyed with playing for us?

Braves have already been awarded 9th pick next season

Johnson85
10-04-2018, 01:29 PM
If he does win it he's getting himself off on the wrong foot of his new team. If he wanted to play pro baseball he should have just taken the money- heck they still offered him close to 2 million if I remember correctly.

Why would his new team care? Wouldn't they be happy they managed to pick up a high potential draft pick through free agency?

drunkernhelldawg
10-04-2018, 01:43 PM
If he does win it he's getting himself off on the wrong foot of his new team. .

This makes no sense. Everybody in pro sports knows that every player has the right to make his or her own business decisions. This is universally respected.

Tbonewannabe
10-04-2018, 02:05 PM
This makes no sense. Everybody in pro sports knows that every player has the right to make his or her own business decisions. This is universally respected.

I would think the players on whatever team he goes to would be glad that he stood up for a players right to not get screwed over. It might set a precedent that teams can't dick over people in the draft.

The Federalist Engineer
10-04-2018, 03:40 PM
Braves have already been awarded 9th pick next season

Read the article, Braves lose the compensation pick if Stewart wins his claim

Losing is considered low probability

Todd4State
10-04-2018, 03:44 PM
Why would his new team care? Wouldn't they be happy they managed to pick up a high potential draft pick through free agency?

Creating a spectacle before you have thrown a professional pitch may not sit well with the higher ups in the organization.

msstate7
10-04-2018, 03:47 PM
I would think the players on whatever team he goes to would be glad that he stood up for a players right to not get screwed over. It might set a precedent that teams can't dick over people in the draft.

How exactly did he get screwed? The braves didn't draft this kid with the intentions of low balling him. His wrist was an issue with the braves. Carter Stewart isn't entitled slot value just bc he was drafted there

Tbonewannabe
10-04-2018, 04:07 PM
How exactly did he get screwed? The braves didn't draft this kid with the intentions of low balling him. His wrist was an issue with the braves. Carter Stewart isn't entitled slot value just bc he was drafted there

I guess it purely depends on if his wrist injury was truly that bad and if Stewart relayed the info to the clubs that were interested. If the Braves thought him having an injury like that would give them the ability to low ball him when other clubs thought the injury wouldn't affect him then it is shitty. If the Braves found out later that he had the injury then I don't blame them for offering half of the slot value.

It just depends on if he could have gotten drafted a pick or so later and gotten slot value.

Also, I am a Braves fan so I hope they don't get screwed out of the pick.

Topbulldawg
10-04-2018, 04:22 PM
From reading the article, I get the impression that he is claiming he wasn't offered the 40% required. Seems easily provable by the Braves if he was, so I wonder why they are taking that angle.

msstate7
10-04-2018, 04:25 PM
From reading the article, I get the impression that he is claiming he wasn't offered the 40% required. Seems easily provable by the Braves if he was, so I wonder why they are taking that angle.

Guy that's much smarter than me on braves' board says if there's an injury discovered post-draft, the team doesn't have to offer 40% to retain pick. Who knows though

Tbonewannabe
10-04-2018, 04:29 PM
Guy that's much smarter than me on braves' board says if there's an injury discovered post-draft, the team doesn't have to offer 40% to retain pick. Who knows though

So how severe is the actual injury? I have never heard what it is or how it affects him. I know he did it swinging a bat but is it something that could affect his pitching now and in the future? Something similar to Tommy John for the wrist? I wouldn't think the Braves would essentially burn the pick for this year trying to get a pick for next year. They could have easily picked someone else that they could have lowballed.

So did the Braves only learn about the injury after picking him?

msstate7
10-04-2018, 04:34 PM
So how severe is the actual injury? I have never heard what it is or how it affects him. I know he did it swinging a bat but is it something that could affect his pitching now and in the future? Something similar to Tommy John for the wrist? I wouldn't think the Braves would essentially burn the pick for this year trying to get a pick for next year. They could have easily picked someone else that they could have lowballed.

So did the Braves only learn about the injury after picking him?

No idea on extent of injury. Strictly a guess, but I think the braves are concerned that elite spin rate is coming at thd expense of Carter's wrist. I'm guessing they don't think that spin rate will be around once carter blows the wrist.

Tbonewannabe
10-04-2018, 04:41 PM
No idea on extent of injury. Strictly a guess, but I think the braves are concerned that elite spin rate is coming at thd expense of Carter's wrist. I'm guessing they don't think that spin rate will be around once carter blows the wrist.

I would be worried also especially if the stress due to the high spin rate is aggravating the injury. I guess with the lawsuit that it will either be settled or we will learn when the Braves found out he was injured. They did offer him $2Mil correct?

msstate7
10-04-2018, 04:47 PM
I would be worried also especially if the stress due to the high spin rate is aggravating the injury. I guess with the lawsuit that it will either be settled or we will learn when the Braves found out he was injured. They did offer him $2Mil correct?

I'm not sure what they offered.

Tbonewannabe
10-04-2018, 04:49 PM
I'm not sure what they offered.

That could have been a rumor I read since his slot was around 5 Mil based on 40%.

Johnson85
10-04-2018, 05:03 PM
Creating a spectacle before you have thrown a professional pitch may not sit well with the higher ups in the organization.

I guess that's possible, but it seems like if they went out and signed him as a free agent, they must not be that bothered by it. I'd really be interested in seeing what he could get in free agency. If a team came in and offered between $4 and $5M, that would seem to suggest the Braves were sort of trying to screw him. In fairness deciding whether to sign or not sign a free agent is a completely different decision from deciding whether to sign a draftee or use a supplemental pick the next year, but it does show they were trying to go way below market.

Topbulldawg
10-04-2018, 08:22 PM

If true, maybe they offered below 40% because of that and that is why its being contested since they may have known something about the injury prior to the draft.

Todd4State
10-05-2018, 01:23 AM
I guess that's possible, but it seems like if they went out and signed him as a free agent, they must not be that bothered by it. I'd really be interested in seeing what he could get in free agency. If a team came in and offered between $4 and $5M, that would seem to suggest the Braves were sort of trying to screw him. In fairness deciding whether to sign or not sign a free agent is a completely different decision from deciding whether to sign a draftee or use a supplemental pick the next year, but it does show they were trying to go way below market.

No question they were trying to lowball him.

If Stewart goes back in the draft next year or is a free agent I have a feeling that his best offer is going to be 2 million. That's how MLB owners work. And he's finding out the hard way.

Like I said before- based on others like Brady Singer his best option to maximize his potential signing bonus was to go to MSU for three years and prove that he is healthy. And by that time he would have been able to command what he wanted if he had a successful career for us.