PDA

View Full Version : Just watched Matt Wyatt's game film analysis

TaleofTwoDogs
10-02-2018, 10:32 PM
That was hard to watch. Hard to tell that these guys are one of the most experienced teams in the SEC. Looked more like a team of freshmen and sophomores. On the big sack at the 1 minute mark, Fitz was totally oblivious of the defensive play in front of him. I don't think he saw the guy until he was in the grasp. Not what you would expect from a 5th year senior. Coaches can teach mechanics but not instinct and field dynamics. Not good. Just not the old Fitz anymore.

Tbonewannabe
10-02-2018, 10:53 PM
It doesn't help that we run the clock all the way down so Fitz can't hard count or anything to try and get the defense to show their hand. The defense just knows not to show their blitz until the last second. Fitz isn't picking up any of it. It is hard to believe he is a 5th year senior that can spend as much time on film as he wants and he is still not seeing the safety blitz.

Gutter Cobreh
10-03-2018, 08:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl5EOzGePWE

Maroonthirteen
10-03-2018, 09:55 AM
In my unqualified opinion, it seems to me we don?t know who we are blocking. On one play, 73 helps double a DL but Florida blitz?s a guy right through the hole 73 vacated.

Then I noticed during the game. Often The te pulls from the edge to block the 0 hole. We are not even faking a hand off to the TE. Why is he pulling to block the middle of the line ? Seriously I?m asking why a play is designed that way. On one play the te pulls and totally misses or doesn?t see a blitzer run through the 0 hole. .

Bottom line. We need a lot of work..... another whole off season.... to get Fitz trained to recognize the over loads and blitz?s and run away from
It. Also the OL to recognize and figure out their blocking assignments. In other words, team will blitz the hell out
Us from here on out. If we don?t figure it out, we are screwed. We better hope for defensive scores.

LC Dawg
10-03-2018, 10:24 AM
Kylin needs to fight through first contact more. I think those first few games made him think he could just fly through the hole into open field but these SEC defenses are getting a hand on him and he's going down too easy. The difference between him and Aeris after contact is telling.
That Mitchell drop was so bad. I've seen defensive linemen with better technique for catching a ball.

ShotgunDawg
10-03-2018, 10:29 AM
Osirus Mitchell*.......

I see a team that struggles to pick up blitzes & that problem is enhanced by having a QB that struggles to see where the blitz is coming from & who will be open as a result & a WRs that struggle to make plays.

It's not like plays aren't there to be made in this offense.

In order to fix this sucker, here is the priority:

1. Pick up blitzes
2. Get the QB comfortable enough that he knows who will be open due to where the blitz is coming from.
3. Get WRs to make plays. This is the toughest one to fix because it actually involves physical talent. The previous 2 are more mental.

Cooterpoot
10-03-2018, 10:34 AM
Its a cluster 17. There, that covers all the issues in one statement.

somebodyshotmypaw
10-03-2018, 10:35 AM
Osirus Mitchell*.......

I see a team that struggles to pick up blitzes & that problem is enhanced by having a QB that struggles to see where the blitz is coming from & who will be open as a result & a WRs that struggle to make plays.

It's not like plays aren't there to be made in this offense.

In order to fix this sucker, here is the priority:

1. Pick up blitzes
2. Get the QB comfortable enough that he knows who will be open due to where the blitz is coming from.
3. Get WRs to make plays. This is the toughest one to fix because it actually involves physical talent. The previous 2 are more mental.

I like Kylin Hill. Fast, explosive, a ton of upside. But looking at bullet point #1 on your list, Kylin is not a willing pass blocker like Aeris is. I rewatched the Florida game, and Kylin just doesn't have the blocking desire that Aeris does. Kylin is big enough and strong enough to do it, but he doesn't want to do it.

War Machine Dawg
10-03-2018, 10:37 AM
That was hard to watch. Hard to tell that these guys are one of the most experienced teams in the SEC. Looked more like a team of freshmen and sophomores. On the big sack at the 1 minute mark, Fitz was totally oblivious of the defensive play in front of him. I don't think he saw the guy until he was in the grasp. Not what you would expect from a 5th year senior. Coaches can teach mechanics but not instinct and field dynamics. Not good. Just not the old Fitz anymore.

I've seen a whole lot of you mention this play multiple times. Wyatt actually explained this on the 5th Quarter show with Bart after the game. He basically said that as a QB, you're taught that with 6 blockers you don't look at the rush. It's your job to go through your reads and find the open man. You've got to trust that your protection is going to pick up the blitz. We didn't pick up the blitz right up the gut and that's on the protection, not Fitz.

I actually feel sorry for Fitz. You could see that he was pissed and frustrated late in the game. I've got a feeling we'll see a mutiny soon. Sylvester Moorhead is in the Mustang headed for the cliff and has the pedal pushed to the floor. Sooner or later someone is going to try to grab the steering wheel or hit the e-brake.

Jack Lambert
10-03-2018, 10:40 AM
That fourth down play at the end of the game sure looked helmet to helmet hit on the QB.

ShotgunDawg
10-03-2018, 10:44 AM
That fourth down play at the end of the game sure looked helmet to helmet hit on the QB.

Yes, it should have been targeting, but it doesn't change our problems.

WinningIsRelentless
10-03-2018, 10:44 AM
Our coaches aren?t doing anything to help anyone on offense to pickup on what the d is doing.

No hardcounts or motion. These two things will help a ton.

TrapGame
10-03-2018, 10:45 AM
I've seen a whole lot of you mention this play multiple times. Wyatt actually explained this on the 5th Quarter show with Bart after the game. He basically said that as a QB, you're taught that with 6 blockers you don't look at the rush. It's your job to go through your reads and find the open man. You've got to trust that your protection is going to pick up the blitz. We didn't pick up the blitz right up the gut and that's on the protection, not Fitz.

I actually feel sorry for Fitz. You could see that he was pissed and frustrated late in the game. I've got a feeling we'll see a mutiny soon. Sylvester Moorhead is in the Mustang headed for the cliff and has the pedal pushed to the floor. Sooner or later someone is going to try to grab the steering wheel or hit the e-brake.

This reminds me of the story about Croom telling Wes to hand the ball off to the RB. Wes pulls it and throws a strike to an wide open WR for a td. The defense read run the whole way and was in man coverage. When Wes got back over to the sideline Croom ripped him a new asshole and said "I told you to hand the ball off son!"

ShotgunDawg
10-03-2018, 10:49 AM
Its a cluster 17. There, that covers all the issues in one statement.

It certainly has been, but I think we are closer to clicking than we think.

The overarching problem that I see with this offense is that our players are just mentally slow with it right now. We are slow to get the play in, slow to figure out who to block, the QB is slow making his reads, & the WRs are slow figuring out where they are going.

As we run it more & everyone on the field gets just mentally 10% faster, we could go from struggling to score a TD to scoring 30 points really quick.

The offense works & will work in time. The obvious frustration however is that we are blowing this awesome roster to rebuild an offense that didn't need fixing.

I think we can all agree that we would've wished that Mullen would have held on for one more year & then jumped ship when we were actually rebuilding.

ShotgunDawg
10-03-2018, 10:50 AM
Our coaches aren?t doing anything to help anyone on offense to pickup on what the d is doing.

No hardcounts or motion. These two things will help a ton.

They are probably just trying to simplify right now. What you just described makes it more complicated

ShotgunDawg
10-03-2018, 10:51 AM
This reminds me of the story about Croom telling Wes to hand the ball off to the RB. Wes pulls it and throws a strike to an wide open WR for a td. The defense read run the whole way and was in man coverage. When Wes got back over to the sideline Croom ripped him a new asshole and said "I told you to hand the ball off son!"

These guys are nothing close Croom

It's a lazy comparison based on fear & the experience of that train wreck than it is on reality.

ShotgunDawg
10-03-2018, 10:52 AM
I think it killed this team that Fitz missed Spring practice & live action.

He knows the offense but he's mentally slow in it.

Gutter Cobreh
10-03-2018, 10:56 AM

I appreciate Matt's analysis as it gives us another look. Thanks for also posting what he said the 5th Quarter.

What it seemed to me like is that Fitz was "bird dogging" the left side and praying the WRs created separation with the man to man. By the time he looked up, the safety was eating his lunch. Did he have time for a quick glance to the right side to see the vacated TE?

It seems to me that the speed of the game is still too fast for our 5th yr. Senior QB. A large portion of that is that could be that he doesn't trust his protection (and I can't blame him). They say he's making the right reads (which is true by what Matt says in his breakdown), but his processing during the play if his read doesn't pan out is causing his delay. Blame him or the coaches - doesn't matter as we look like a JV team on offense right now.

I will say though, Grantham didn't do anything in that game that he didn't do with our defense last year. If Fitz practiced last year against this coach in scrimmages, he should have known his tendencies.

Jack Lambert
10-03-2018, 10:58 AM
Yes, it should have been targeting, but it doesn't change our problems.

But two things. We would have gotten 15 yards and additional play in that game and that guy who hit him may not be out of the woods on the hit. Those hits can be reviewed at a latter date and penalties applied going into the next game for Florida.

TrapGame
10-03-2018, 10:59 AM
These guys are nothing close Croom

It's a lazy comparison based on fear & the experience of that train wreck than it is on reality.

I didn't say they were comparable to Croom. It just reminded me of a story.

And I hope you're right that we are close for this offense to start clicking.

ShotgunDawg
10-03-2018, 11:02 AM
I didn't say they were comparable to Croom. It just reminded me of a story.

And I hope you're right that we are close for this offense to start clicking.

I don't know if we are close because we have to fix things. My point is that there isn't as much to fix as it looks like there is.

This offense works & has the potential to work again top teams. The growing pains are real though

msstate7
10-03-2018, 11:07 AM
I don't know if we are close because we have to fix things. My point is that there isn't as much to fix as it looks like there is.

This offense works & has the potential to work again top teams. The growing pains are real though

I think you're being pretty dang optimistic

ShotgunDawg
10-03-2018, 11:07 AM
While running the ball more will help, I think the best thing Moorhead could do to get this offense rolling to to narrow down the play book to about 10 plays & just learn to run them fast.

I think everything being slow is our biggest issue right now, but, if you narrow down the playbook & work on perfecting a handful of plays, it can go a long way in speeding up the processing by all involved

ShotgunDawg
10-03-2018, 11:09 AM
I think you're being pretty dang optimistic

Would you rather me share the pessimistic view?

I got that club in the bag as well.

Look, if what I'm saying is true, then we should see pretty vast improvement between now & about the A&M game. If not, I won't be optimistic anymore.

I'm really looking at that off week & thinking things better move forward quickly after that or we got the wrong the guy.

I believe you have to compartmentalize the difference between being pissed at this staff for not altering their scheme to the strengths of this team & thinking this staff isn't the right staff to lead this program going forward.

I'm pissed that they didn't evaluate or understand what they had before this season. In many ways, that speaks to an unfathomable amount of arrogance that will get you beat every time.

On the other hand, I think this offense will work & it may be the best thing for us going forward.

smootness
10-03-2018, 11:18 AM
Would you rather me share the pessimistic view?

I got that club in the bag as well.

Look, if what I'm saying is true, then we should see pretty vast improvement between now & about the A&M game. If not, I won't be optimistic anymore.

I'm really looking at that off week & thinking things better move forward quickly after that or we got the wrong the guy.

I believe you have to compartmentalize the difference between being pissed at this staff for not altering their scheme to the strengths of this team & thinking this staff isn't the right staff to lead this program going forward.

I'm pissed that they didn't evaluate or understand what they had before this season. In many ways, that speaks to an unfathomable amount of arrogance that will get you beat every time.

On the other hand, I think this offense will work & it may be the best thing for us going forward.

I do agree that this distinction could exist.

This season is already wasted, and we should absolutely be upset with the coaching staff for that.

Going forward, they need to make some very real, very quick changes and prove this can be successful; otherwise, we better make a change.

WinningIsRelentless
10-03-2018, 01:04 PM
They are probably just trying to simplify right now. What you just described makes it more complicated

You have lost your mind if you think motion and hardcounts complicate things. It simplifies the read for qb and ol by showing more of the defense hand.

EdDawg
10-03-2018, 06:10 PM
One thing I noticed after watching the video is that almost all, if not all, of the runs were rpo's. The thing I don't like about that is that the receivers do not block initially because they are in routes. The corners didn't respect our passing games and were looking run. This allowed them to either make a tackle or force a runner inside to the safety.

In order to have big plays in the run game you need downfield blocking. No team will respect our passing game enough to have their corners bail. That's one thing our receivers under Mullen were pretty good at, downfield blocking.

TXDawg
10-03-2018, 06:19 PM
I like Kylin Hill. Fast, explosive, a ton of upside. But looking at bullet point #1 on your list, Kylin is not a willing pass blocker like Aeris is. I rewatched the Florida game, and Kylin just doesn't have the blocking desire that Aeris does. Kylin is big enough and strong enough to do it, but he doesn't want to do it.

Truest post on this site all week.

TaleofTwoDogs
10-03-2018, 09:06 PM
I appreciate Matt's analysis as it gives us another look. Thanks for also posting what he said the 5th Quarter.

What it seemed to me like is that Fitz was "bird dogging" the left side and praying the WRs created separation with the man to man. By the time he looked up, the safety was eating his lunch. Did he have time for a quick glance to the right side to see the vacated TE?

^^THIS^^ After being blitzed and harassed for 59 minutes you would think that Fitz would sweep the field looking for blitzing safeties, instead he locks onto the two receivers to his left and then BAM!

tcdog70
10-03-2018, 09:11 PM

Omarr did the same thing against UAB. Croom told him to hand off then try a FG. Omarr pulled it out and hauled ass for a TD to win. Croom was pissed