PDA

View Full Version : Our Offense Philosophicaly

BeastMan
10-02-2018, 02:12 PM
Something I?m noticing about JoMo?s offense that isn?t good is how we don?t dictate the action. I?m talking about our pure RPO offense. Under Mullen we most definitely had checks but we dictated a physical brand of spread offense and that didn?t change game to game. What it looks like we?re doing now is making calls based solely off defense alignment. In other words we?re reactionary and not dictating the action to the defense. Defenses are going plus in the box which pushes us to pass which is clearly our weakness. Teams have been loading the box on MSU for 10 years now daring us to pass to beat them. Mullen won a lot of games embracing the run game and that being the offensive agenda regardless what the defense does.

Cary Hudson's little bro
10-02-2018, 02:31 PM
The "check with me" every single play is maddening. Wastes too much time. JoeMo likes to outsmart the other guy playground style, but he got tricked a couple of times by alignment vs Florida.

The DE's can pin their ears back as the play clock expires. Every SEC team has stud pass rushers. He's had his welcome to the SEC moment now. He says it will get fixed...we'll see.

TrapGame
10-02-2018, 02:35 PM
If Joe gives Nick three plays and an option to pull and run with one 3 second check at the line this offense will start humming.

msstate7
10-02-2018, 02:36 PM
The "check with me" every single play is maddening. Wastes too much time. JoeMo likes to outsmart the other guy playground style, but he got tricked a couple of times by alignment vs Florida.

The DE's can pin their ears back as the play clock expires. Every SEC team has stud pass rushers. He's had his welcome to the SEC moment now. He says it will get fixed...we'll see.

Let's hope it can be fixed.

WinningIsRelentless
10-02-2018, 02:37 PM
JOMO is getting baited into things by very good DCS. He thinks he is smarter than what it appears he is.

How can you truly tell what a d is playing if you don?t have some motion from time to time?

yjnkdawg
10-02-2018, 02:44 PM

Stoops also said that Kentucky ran a pretty simple defense against us, but was good at disguising it. This check with me with the winding down play clock puts more pressure on our offensive line in their blocking, as well as having to be in their stance for an extended period of time, which pretty much everybody knows is not good.

Jack Lambert
10-02-2018, 02:46 PM
To add it takes so long to change plays once they do there is very little time left to snap and then the Defense changes. Every time with four second left on the play clock and after the last check the defense shifts or make some adjustments. They are fooling our offensive coaches.

Maroonthirteen
10-02-2018, 02:56 PM
we are being baited into the pass and then they are shifting into a weak side blitz when we drop
To pass.

TrapGame
10-02-2018, 03:20 PM
Just out of curiosity was there a lot of checks with Penn State Joe's first year? Don't tell me it took getting to the SEC to find the flaws in his system.

was21
10-02-2018, 03:51 PM
Seems to be the case. Irony is that whenever I hear Saban asked a question about what another team might do and what is he going to do about it, he responds that he doesn't care what the other team does because he's only concerned about what bama is going to do. In a sense it does seem like Mojo approach is reactionary rather than actionary

Irondawg
10-02-2018, 04:05 PM
Go back and watch some of Wyatt's film study from Penn State after we hired Joe. Had lots of movement in it and as mentioned we're not seeing that. I don't think you can run this offense very well with training wheels.

We're not creating any defensive assignment mistakes with tempo or motion. That's where Mullen turned the corner from Croom. Same talent, but we created and exploited some mismatches when we could get them. Bama generally being the exception because they are so good they don't have to run a lot of exotic stuff so it's much harder to create openings.

We've got to incorporate some non-thinking plays into the gameplan. For example while we've seen swing routes to RB, have we seen a pure screen, or a PA screen or a TE screen? If guys are going to ping their ears back, let's let them and then make them pay. Or you pull the OM playbook, find man coverage and just loft it up and ask your WR to make a play.

I'd love to see some overhead cam stuff to try and figure out exactly what we're trying to get on some of these passing plays

msstate7
10-02-2018, 04:41 PM
Go back and watch some of Wyatt's film study from Penn State after we hired Joe. Had lots of movement in it and as mentioned we're not seeing that. I don't think you can run this offense very well with training wheels.

We're not creating any defensive assignment mistakes with tempo or motion. That's where Mullen turned the corner from Croom. Same talent, but we created and exploited some mismatches when we could get them. Bama generally being the exception because they are so good they don't have to run a lot of exotic stuff so it's much harder to create openings.

We've got to incorporate some non-thinking plays into the gameplan. For example while we've seen swing routes to RB, have we seen a pure screen, or a PA screen or a TE screen? If guys are going to ping their ears back, let's let them and then make them pay. Or you pull the OM playbook, find man coverage and just loft it up and ask your WR to make a play.

I'd love to see some overhead cam stuff to try and figure out exactly what we're trying to get on some of these passing plays

Wonder how much Moorhead is missing franklin and Rahne. Franklin is an offensive coach, and penn st hasn't missed a beat with Rahne