PDA

View Full Version : Why would Dan Mullen say

Cary Hudson's little bro
10-02-2018, 09:12 AM
that he felt like he had "reached his ceiling" at State and then leave instead of playing one more year with this roster? Just bc of timing for an open Tenn or Flarda job? Seems like he could've done something special with this team.

msstate7
10-02-2018, 09:15 AM
When opportunity knocks...

He wanted to leave, and no one hated it more than me. Oh well

Jack Lambert
10-02-2018, 09:15 AM
He probably figured another shot would not come open for a while if he did not jump now however it's looking like the Tenn Job might open up sooner then they thought and you never know who Florida would have hired. I mean they hired him after going after others first. He was a settle for them. Not who they wanted.

stalkingpoon
10-02-2018, 09:16 AM
Because he wasn't beating Bama no matter how much roster talent he had. He proved that in 2014, then again last year when he crapped the bed. When you can't beat Bama, your ceiling will never go higher than 2nd in the West.

msstate7
10-02-2018, 09:19 AM
Because he wasn't beating Bama no matter how much roster talent he had. He proved that in 2014, then again last year when he crapped the bed. When you can't beat Bama, your ceiling will never go higher than 2nd in the West.

Unfortunately for Mullen, he'll top out at 2nd in the east now

Dawg61
10-02-2018, 09:19 AM

He wanted to leave, and no one hated it more than me. Oh well

Doubt you'd of said this in 2016 when we were 4-7 with losses to South Alabama, Kentucky, Arkansas and BYU.

Tbonewannabe
10-02-2018, 09:20 AM

He wanted to leave for several years, and no one hated it more than me. Oh well

fify. He would have been gone several years ago if things either hadn't fell through or we hadn't paid him so well. If he had ever beaten Bama, he would have been gone that year but that made most programs hold off. Getting to #1 was great but in hindsight his best win in his career was probably last year's LSU win. LSU, AU, and TA&M all didn't end up as good of a team in 2014 as people thought.

msstate7
10-02-2018, 09:24 AM
Doubt you'd of said this in 2016 when we were 4-7 with losses to South Alabama, Kentucky, Arkansas and BYU.

Yeah, I would have. I really liked Mullen. He was great for our program

msstate7
10-02-2018, 09:24 AM
fify. He would have been gone several years ago if things either hadn't fell through or we hadn't paid him so well. If he had ever beaten Bama, he would have been gone that year but that made most programs hold off. Getting to #1 was great but in hindsight his best win in his career was probably last year's LSU win. LSU, AU, and TA&M all didn't end up as good of a team in 2014 as people thought.

Yeah, those wins sucked. I like these losses much more

TrapGame
10-02-2018, 09:25 AM
Mailing it in just about every November is not hitting your ceiling.

Doggie_Style
10-02-2018, 09:29 AM
Unfortunately for Mullen, he'll top out at 2nd in the east now

Not sure why we continue to talk about Dan....that's over.....he's a fine coach and will do very well at Florida. He never figured out recruiting here and it is damn tough as Moorhead is finding out.

Dawg61
10-02-2018, 09:33 AM
Yeah, I would have. I really liked Mullen. He was great for our program

I don't care to search this but nobody was singing Mullen praises when we lost to South Alabama and were sitting with a 4-7 record. You feel like you were. Ok.

https://media.giphy.com/media/I5xVnGJRHZZf2/giphy.gif

msstate7
10-02-2018, 09:34 AM
I don't care to search this but nobody was singing Mullen praises when we lost to South Alabama and were sitting with a 4-7 record. You feel like you were. Ok.

https://media.giphy.com/media/I5xVnGJRHZZf2/giphy.gif

There's no doubt I would've been raising hell. Doesn't mean I wanted him gone. I fight with my wife, but don't want a divorce

BrunswickDawg
10-02-2018, 09:37 AM

LSU, AU and A&M were fine that year. The West was just a war. Every west team but Arkansas made it to the Top 8 of the AP poll at some point that year. The problem was that 5 teams (MSU, OM, AU, LSU, A&M) were all equally matched. In a margin of error league, that means everyone ends up knocking each other off and muddying the water about the overall quality. The top 6 west teams that season only losses in the regular season to non-SEC West teams were AU to UGA and A&M to Mizzou. That's unreal.

Dawg2003
10-02-2018, 09:38 AM
Because he had to go when the opportunity presented itself. You can't wait around for the "perfect" time to go. Plus, FL is his home. That's his soulmate. We were just the reliable girl he dated for many years but wouldn't marry.

Dawg2003
10-02-2018, 09:40 AM

All coaches have some bad losses. Even Nick Saban. The entire body of work is what you look at.

Tbonewannabe
10-02-2018, 09:41 AM

I definitely liked the wins better but all I was saying is we had Mullen because the big boys didn't think too much of him only winning games over teams that finished with 7-8 wins. Similar to our run to 8-0 was built on beating not great teams and then we did nothing against Bama. Freeze was almost held in higher regard because he "recruited" well and he beat Bama twice.

I agree with Mullen in that I don't think he ever would have beaten Bama at MSU. He will always probably struggle against UGA at UF. I will be surprised if he ever beats them. If he does then maybe going to a school that recruits itself was his missing piece. He has proven that he doesn't recruit well even at UF. His decommits were a higher rated class than his actual signing class.

I was pissed Mullen left but I was ready because he shopped himself every year that he had a good team and we typically lost the Egg Bowl in those years. I wanted a coach who was all in for MSU and also someone that was willing to gamble to beat Bama.

Dawg61
10-02-2018, 09:44 AM
There's no doubt I would've been raising hell. Doesn't mean I wanted him gone. I fight with my wife, but don't want a divorce

Good so you actually do have a bit of rationale then. Apply the same rationale to Moorhead. He's only been coaching for 5 games. PSU is ****ing amazing on offense. His offense.

Dawg61
10-02-2018, 09:45 AM
All coaches have some bad losses. Even Nick Saban. The entire body of work is what you look at.

5 games into a career isn't enough body of work.

Tbonewannabe
10-02-2018, 09:52 AM
Good so you actually do have a bit of rationale then. Apply the same rationale to Moorhead. He's only been coaching for 5 games. PSU is ****ing amazing on offense. His offense.

One of the biggest issues is people's expectations were sky high, Moorhead didn't help with Heisman talk. UK and UF both have good to possibly great defenses but unfortunately almost everyone outside of UM does also. I think if Moorhead's offense works then it gives us the best chance to beat a team like Bama.

I personally am giving Moorhead the season before I make a decision. We end up winning 9 games then people would be pretty happy.

msstate7
10-02-2018, 09:55 AM
One of the biggest issues is people's expectations were sky high, Moorhead didn't help with Heisman talk. UK and UF both have good to possibly great defenses but unfortunately almost everyone outside of UM does also. I think if Moorhead's offense works then it gives us the best chance to beat a team like Bama.

I personally am giving Moorhead the season before I make a decision. We end up winning 9 games then people would be pretty happy.

I thought we were a 9-10 win team, so I'll be thrilled with that. I don't see 6 at the moment though... hopefully things change

Tbonewannabe
10-02-2018, 10:00 AM
I thought we were a 9-10 win team, so I'll be thrilled with that. I don't see 6 at the moment though... hopefully things change

I agree with you, unless the light finally clicks on or Moorhead does actually simplify the scheme then I would be surprised to see 6 wins. I will say we would have said the same thing after the AU game last year. Against UGA and AU, we looked like a monkey 17ing a football on offense. I am not sure how great UK and UF's defense ends up but right now they are both great.

This is one of the things that makes me pause and give Moorhead the entire season.

Dawg2003
10-02-2018, 10:23 AM
5 games into a career isn't enough body of work.

I thought you were taking about Mullen.

DownwardDawg
10-02-2018, 11:10 AM

Hahaha!! +1

Dawg61
10-02-2018, 12:31 PM
I thought you were taking about Mullen.

I was talking about both. We had enough body of work on Mullen not to want him fired when he was 4-7 yet we don't have enough body of work on Moorhead and some want him fired at 3-2.

Maroonthirteen
10-02-2018, 01:45 PM

Well the wife found a more handsome guy with more money. So she made the fight into a big deal and had papers drawn up. Ha!

Matt3467
10-02-2018, 01:52 PM
that he felt like he had "reached his ceiling" at State and then leave instead of playing one more year with this roster? Just bc of timing for an open Tenn or Flarda job? Seems like he could've done something special with this team.

He actually said that?

msstate7
10-02-2018, 02:05 PM
Well the wife found a more handsome guy with more money. So she made the fight into a big deal and had papers drawn up. Ha!

Guess he'll back with my wife soon to kick my arse in front of my family and friends.

Maroonthirteen
10-02-2018, 02:10 PM
Guess he'll back with my wife soon to kick my arse in front of my family and friends.

Yeah. You all just showed up at a kids function. You drove a S10. She pulled up in a new Lexus.

Just joking people

I_Spy
10-05-2018, 05:26 AM
I don’t know what you guys are saying but I would take take Dan and Grantham right now even if it was that only Bama best is but we had gotten closer last year. This is awful losing to Kentucky, Florida and who knows who else.

I just want to win.

I_Spy
10-05-2018, 05:36 AM
I always feel like we have the best yet worst timing for all things or we never get that what we chase.

Like the last time we wanted Dan gone, then he had #1 team in country
When we couldn’t hit in the World Series games few years back
The b-ball women went flat against ND 2nd half
Grantham gone when we would have the be D in country

You guys can probably add more to the list

gravedigger
10-05-2018, 07:49 AM
nm