PDA

View Full Version : Fitz and MSU have 1 quality win in last 3 years

chef dixon
10-01-2018, 06:02 PM
Arguably just LSU last season. You could maybe argue TAMU in 2016, but they were on a downward spiral shortly thereafter. Its really kind of eye opening when you go back and look at our schedule.

Taking a step back, I don't know why we would expect that to all the sudden start happening at a steady clip this season, especially with a new coaching staff.

I've said it multiple times, but we lacked the ability to make plays through the air against quality competition when our run game is not working (this is not unique to this year). It sounds great to say we need to play to our strengths, but then we are essentially doing the same thing all over again that has not gotten us over the hump. I'm holding out hope that Moorhead can elevate our QB play in that regard, but its just not going to happen with Fitz.

msstate7
10-01-2018, 07:43 PM
Yeah, beating Kentucky and Florida is way too much to ask. We should be kissing Moorhead's feet for getting 98 total 2nd half yards and 0 points in those games. I mean, damn, he only had the sec total yardage leader at qb, sec's 4th best rushing team, and leading sec team in rushing yards per attempt. Jeez... with better recruiting we may score a 2nd half td

Gutter Cobreh
10-01-2018, 07:47 PM
Great post. Some here don't realize or only choose to think that we had a fluid offense every game.

We've been one dimensional since Bear Wilson made the bad decision to turn pro. What was that 3 years ago?

Can't impose your will and be one dimensional against the SEC West upper echelon.

Pit Bull
10-01-2018, 07:50 PM
Great post. Some here don't realize or only choose to think that we had a fluid offense every game.

We've been one dimensional since Bear Wilson made the bad decision to turn pro. What was that 3 years ago?

Can't impose your will and be one dimensional against the SEC West upper echelon.

I always remember him dropping a perfect TD pass vs BAMA from Damien Williams. Just bounced right out of his hands.

bluelightstar
10-01-2018, 08:02 PM
Wait, so now we aren’t getting quality wins *and* are taking bad losses? Quite the trade-off there.

ATTILLA THE DOG
10-01-2018, 08:20 PM
Arguably just LSU last season. You could maybe argue TAMU in 2016, but they were on a downward spiral shortly thereafter. Its really kind of eye opening when you go back and look at our schedule.

Taking a step back, I don't know why we would expect that to all the sudden start happening at a steady clip this season, especially with a new coaching staff.

I've said it multiple times, but we lacked the ability to make plays through the air against quality competition when our run game is not working (this is not unique to this year). It sounds great to say we need to play to our strengths, but then we are essentially doing the same thing all over again that has not gotten us over the hump. I'm holding out hope that Moorhead can elevate our QB play in that regard, but its just not going to happen with Fitz.

give me 9-4 running the ball vs 5-7 with this faux air raid bs

TUSK
10-01-2018, 08:35 PM

2015 Arkie actually had a winning SEC record... I'd put them at #2 behind last year's L7U win.

2016 A&M ended up garbage... #BrokeByBama

Commercecomet24
10-01-2018, 08:38 PM
2015 Arkie actually had a winning SEWC record... I'd put them at #2 behind last year's L7U win.

2016 A&M ended up garbage... #BrokeByBama

That "broke by bama " don't fly with me. Bama unfortunately breaks everybody lol.

TUSK
10-01-2018, 08:47 PM
That "broke by bama " don't fly with me. Bama unfortunately breaks everybody lol.

I still have Okie and Ohio State left, dammit!

Commercecomet24
10-01-2018, 09:07 PM
I still have Okie and Ohio State left, dammit!

You already broke urban and have him "heart trouble" one time lol

Todd4State
10-02-2018, 12:58 AM
We haven't done much since 2014.

RougeDawg
10-02-2018, 07:51 AM
Keep trying to sugar coat this turd of a season all you want. There is something everyone is leaving out. Over the last 3-4 recruiting classes we have amassed as much talent as we have probably ever had. If you actually look at it we are top heavy defensive talent and have glaring deficiencies on offense, in particular OL and WR. What HC let an nfl draft pick WR leave his own back yard because he was so arrogant he didn?t think he had to recruit? What OL coach ran off more 4 Star OL than he signed? The last coaching staff could bring in defensive players and I honestly think the CC had nothing to do with stacking the defensive cupboard.

The CC recruited all of the offensive positions we are currently not up to par without sEC talent levels. What group of coaches did recruits continuously make negative comments about? Sure we developed a guy here and there, but their laziness in recruiting has been showing since DM started shipping himself during the 2014 season. Some of it was masked by a top heavy SEC west and dumpster fires blazing around the conference.

This loss to Florida was a combination of years of shitty offensive recruiting and a season of this offensive talent pool trying to learn a new offense.it won?t be an easy fix, but the new HC has to recognize the deficiencies and tailor the offense to something that?s somewhat effective.

msstate7
10-02-2018, 08:00 AM
Keep trying to sugar coat this turd of a season all you want. There is something everyone is leaving out. Over the last 3-4 recruiting classes we have amassed as much talent as we have probably ever had. If you actually look at it we are top heavy defensive talent and have glaring deficiencies on offense, in particular OL and WR. What HC let an nfl draft pick WR leave his own back yard because he was so arrogant he didn?t think he had to recruit? What OL coach ran off more 4 Star OL than he signed? The last coaching staff could bring in defensive players and I honestly think the CC had nothing to do with stacking the defensive cupboard.

The CC recruited all of the offensive positions we are currently not up to par without sEC talent levels. What group of coaches did recruits continuously make negative comments about? Sure we developed a guy here and there, but their laziness in recruiting has been showing since DM started shipping himself during the 2014 season. Some of it was masked by a top heavy SEC west and dumpster fires blazing around the conference.

This loss to Florida was a combination of years of shitty offensive recruiting and a season of this offensive talent pool trying to learn a new offense.it won?t be an easy fix, but the new HC has to recognize the deficiencies and tailor the offense to something that?s somewhat effective.

Fitz led sec in total yardage last season. We were #4 in sec in rushing yards/game. We led sec in rushing yards per attempt. Sure you can say we have no talent, but that would mean Mullen is 100x better than Moorhead. Your choice. You said we'd beat Bama two weeks ago, but now we have no talent. Get outta here with that sheet

AROB44
10-02-2018, 08:18 AM
We haven't done much since 2014.

Well....I must have been in an alternate universe. 2014....10-3 2015....9-4 2016....6-7 2017...9-4

But, since we didn't beat Bama, I guess all the wins don't count. Aren't MSU fans the greatest? They are at downgrading any accomplishments.

RougeDawg
10-02-2018, 07:24 PM
Fitz led sec in total yardage last season. We were #4 in sec in rushing yards/game. We led sec in rushing yards per attempt. Sure you can say we have no talent, but that would mean Mullen is 100x better than Moorhead. Your choice. You said we'd beat Bama two weeks ago, but now we have no talent. Get outta here with that sheet

Your reading comprehension has really gone to shit these last two weeks. Where did I say we have no talent? O said we have a combination of losing a staff that knew their weakeneases in talent and implemented an offense to help mask it and trying to quit cold turkey. If Joe wasn?t so he?ll bent on implementing 100% of his offense in 8 weeks with a QB coming off of a nasty injury we?d be sitting at 5-0 and ranked top 10 right now. I?ve never seen a coach go 100% full offensive swap in Year one and be successful. Shit it took our last HC 4-5 years to finally implement their offense 100%. He slowly adapted it to what he had to worn with.

Let me understand my post for you since you?ve gone full retard the last two weeks.

Here is the gist: this team has the same talent as last years and more experience. The defense is better this year than last. The offense has gone from 100% one philosophy to 100% to a new one. Hence the reason we look lost and have scored 13 total points last two weeks. If Joe Shithead had slowly implemented his offense into what our offense was, we wouldn?t look this bad. If he?s as smart as we think and have been told, one would also believe he would do this. He hasn?t and he has slowed down our sometimes quick tempo offense, into a tortoise raise on offense.

I?m not happy with it. Just pointing out one of the most obvious reasons for the last two abortions of football games on offense. The defense is where we expected. The offense isn?t because they are lost in the wilderness of Joes RPO scheme. If he has used75% old offense and 25% new and gradually adjusted percentages we go 10-2 at worst. Maybe we have another arrogant yankee who thinks they invented football and aren?t willing to adjust.

So please try to read with a little bit higher level of comphrension next time. My point was who actually expects a full overhaul of an offense from regime to regime? Anyone expecting that to be successful is a moron. I didn?t expect a full 100% overhaul. That?s a death sentence and that?s what path we are on. I expected gradual transition and implementation. First few games we ran a lot of old plays. Now that we?ve gotten into defenses with a pulse, with their looks forcing us into changing plays, inexperience in this play checking, resulting in waiting to last second to snap, we look like complete shit. That?s Joe?s offense.

Didn?t think this was that difficult to see on the field, from first 3 games to last two. Guess the dramatic drop in offensive plays per game wasn?t a dead giveaway to everyone.

msstate7
10-02-2018, 07:41 PM
Your reading comprehension has really gone to shit these last two weeks. Where did I say we have no talent? O said we have a combination of losing a staff that knew their weakeneases in talent and implemented an offense to help mask it and trying to quit cold turkey. If Joe wasn?t so he?ll bent on implementing 100% of his offense in 8 weeks with a QB coming off of a nasty injury we?d be sitting at 5-0 and ranked top 10 right now. I?ve never seen a coach go 100% full offensive swap in Year one and be successful. Shit it took our last HC 4-5 years to finally implement their offense 100%. He slowly adapted it to what he had to worn with.

Let me understand my post for you since you?ve gone full retard the last two weeks.

Here is the gist: this team has the same talent as last years and more experience. The defense is better this year than last. The offense has gone from 100% one philosophy to 100% to a new one. Hence the reason we look lost and have scored 13 total points last two weeks. If Joe Shithead had slowly implemented his offense into what our offense was, we wouldn?t look this bad. If he?s as smart as we think and have been told, one would also believe he would do this. He hasn?t and he has slowed down our sometimes quick tempo offense, into a tortoise raise on offense.

I?m not happy with it. Just pointing out one of the most obvious reasons for the last two abortions of football games on offense. The defense is where we expected. The offense isn?t because they are lost in the wilderness of Joes RPO scheme. If he has used75% old offense and 25% new and gradually adjusted percentages we go 10-2 at worst. Maybe we have another arrogant yankee who thinks they invented football and aren?t willing to adjust.

So please try to read with a little bit higher level of comphrension next time. My point was who actually expects a full overhaul of an offense from regime to regime? Anyone expecting that to be successful is a moron. I didn?t expect a full 100% overhaul. That?s a death sentence and that?s what path we are on. I expected gradual transition and implementation. First few games we ran a lot of old plays. Now that we?ve gotten into defenses with a pulse, with their looks forcing us into changing plays, inexperience in this play checking, resulting in waiting to last second to snap, we look like complete shit. That?s Joe?s offense.

Didn?t think this was that difficult to see on the field, from first 3 games to last two. Guess the dramatic drop in offensive plays per game wasn?t a dead giveaway to everyone.

"The CC recruited all of the offensive positions we are currently not up to par without sEC talent level"

There's what you said. We were quite effective against the level of talent Florida and Kentucky have last season. Mullen would be bludgeoning teams to death with our oline, RBs, and fitz. No one is forcing Moorhead to misuse our offensive talent.... just bc the talent doesn't match his system doesn't mean it isn't talent. What's easier 1 bend to fit 11 or 11 bedding to fit 1?

Todd4State
10-02-2018, 07:43 PM
Well....I must have been in an alternate universe. 2014....10-3 2015....9-4 2016....6-7 2017...9-4

But, since we didn't beat Bama, I guess all the wins don't count. Aren't MSU fans the greatest? They are at downgrading any accomplishments.

Name the top five wins from 2015-2017. There is "downgrading" and there is reality.

msstate7
10-02-2018, 07:44 PM
Name the top five wins from 2015-2017. There is "downgrading" and there is reality.

Name the top wins of 2018

Todd4State
10-02-2018, 07:47 PM

This is spot on. You have three star Greg Eiland getting beat and three star Fitz trying to throw bombs to three star late signee and project Osirius Mitchell. And two of those guys I mentioned are sophomores because that's what happens when you only sign three offensive linemen a year and a bunch of slot WR's and no outside WR.

Todd4State
10-02-2018, 07:49 PM
Name the top wins of 2018

There are about as many as 2015-2017. That's my point. And if you actually tried to name the top wins from those three years you would see it too.

Turfdawg67
10-02-2018, 08:05 PM

Well said. Possibly/probably with DM we are 5-0 now and getting all psyched up... only to get blown out by Bama, Auburn & OM (cause he has one foot out the door by then). Are we better off? Sure, I like winning 8-9 games a year too, but if that's the ceiling, move on and bring someone else in... even if there's a (steep) learning curve.

Turfdawg67
10-02-2018, 08:08 PM
There are about as many as 2015-2017. That's my point. And if you actually tried to name the top wins from those three years you would see it too.

He can't, he's blinded by hate. BUT... that'll change with some winning!!!

TUSK
10-02-2018, 08:56 PM

You made me wanna look it up, so I did a "quick & dirty" search (2008-Present):

YEAR Team OA SEC Rank
2017 LSU 9-4, 6-2, #18
2015 @ Arkie 8-5, 5-3, UR
2014 @ LSU 8-5, 4-4, UR
2014 Auburn 8-5, 4-4, #22
2009 OM 9-4, 4-4, #20

Tbonewannabe
10-02-2018, 10:56 PM

YEAR Team OA SEC Rank
2017 LSU 9-4, 6-2, #18
2014 @ LSU 8-5, 4-4, UR
2009 OM 9-4, 4-4, #20

Also with most of those wins, MSU is pretty close to even in wins and talent. Mullen rarely got the upset but also rarely lost to lesser teams. We also only actually competed with Bama last year in his 9 year stint.

Todd4State
10-02-2018, 11:56 PM

YEAR Team OA SEC Rank
2017 LSU 9-4, 6-2, #18
2014 @ LSU 8-5, 4-4, UR
2009 OM 9-4, 4-4, #20

Thank you for proving my point. As I said- we haven't done anything significant since 2014. And honestly even worse than I thought. What's really sad is this group of seniors is basically going to be remembered for constantly choking with something significant on the line- LSU 2015, 2015 Egg Bowl loss costing us a Sugar Bowl bid, losing season in 2016 with a loss to South Alabama and an extremely sloppy win against Samford, Alabama 2017, Egg Bowl loss in 2017, and the coup de grace is ruining a potentially elite championship caliber defense because of coaches that appear to be unable to adjust to the personnel and players that fail to perform minimal standard football expectations- such as pass blocking and a decent level.

Todd4State
10-02-2018, 11:59 PM
Also with most of those wins, MSU is pretty close to even in wins and talent. Mullen rarely got the upset but also rarely lost to lesser teams. We also only actually competed with Bama last year in his 9 year stint.

And before anyone says anything about our history- from 1996-2000 we defeated the SEC East or West champion FOUR times. The only years we didn't do so in that span was 1998 when that was because we won it ourselves and then 1999 when we won 10 games and won the Peach Bowl. We have the potential to do it- but we've never had the coach that could consistently do it other than Jackie.

msstate7
10-03-2018, 06:30 AM
In the last 4 years, we have 34 wins. I'll let you guys apologize for those wins, and tell us how terrible that is.

smootness
10-03-2018, 07:37 AM

We're currently losing to the SEC East middle echelon.

MedDawg
10-03-2018, 07:37 AM

Is a new coach supposed to run the previous coach's offense? That doesn't happen. If Moorhead ran Mullen's offense we might have beaten Florida, but Moorhead isn't Mullen. Coaches don't run the previous coach's offense.

Moorhead hasn't attempted to run anywhere close to 100% of his offense. He hasn't been adapting in-game as well as he did at Penn State, but our OL is giving Fitz worse protection than last season and they don't seem to be run blocking as well, either. Whether that is on our new OL coach or Moorhead failing to adapt to what would work, I don't know. We have open receivers for the first time in years, but there is only so much an offense can do with poor blocking and missed/dropped passes.

We still don't know how good Kentucky or Florida are, but both are currently ranked. Mullen might have beaten Florida at home, but he didn't have a good record against ranked teams and you definitely can't say he would have beaten the #13 team at their place. Sometimes you get bitten by the schedule, and it's possible that UK and Florida are simply both good teams and much better than preseason expectations. I know I'd rather be playing Vanderbilt and Tennessee this season.

MedDawg
10-03-2018, 07:40 AM
We're currently losing to the SEC East middle echelon.

Kentucky and Florida are currently a combined 9-1, with the one loss being Florida to UK.

smootness
10-03-2018, 07:45 AM
Beginning of the year: 'We are loaded and now have a coach who can actually maximize what we have and not coach scared and compete with the top teams in the West. We've never been set up better. We have a real shot at the SEC title.'

Now: 'This team has obvious weaknesses. We haven't been that good recently and you can't expect a new coach to come in and implement a new scheme right away. We weren't set up well to compete.. It takes time to build.'

smootness
10-03-2018, 07:45 AM
Kentucky and Florida are currently a combined 9-1, with the one loss being Florida to UK.

Mostly because they've both played us.

msstate7
10-03-2018, 07:47 AM
Is a new coach supposed to run the previous coach's offense? That doesn't happen. If Moorhead ran Mullen's offense we might have beaten Florida, but Moorhead isn't Mullen. Coaches don't run the previous coach's offense.

Moorhead hasn't attempted to run anywhere close to 100% of his offense. He hasn't been adapting in-game as well as he did at Penn State, but our OL is giving Fitz worse protection than last season and they don't seem to be run blocking as well, either. Whether that is on our new OL coach or Moorhead failing to adapt to what would work, I don't know. We have open receivers for the first time in years, but there is only so much an offense can do with poor blocking and missed/dropped passes.

We still don't know how good Kentucky or Florida are, but both are currently ranked. Mullen might have beaten Florida at home, but he didn't have a good record against ranked teams and you definitely can't say he would have beaten the #13 team at their place. Sometimes you get bitten by the schedule, and it's possible that UK and Florida are simply both good teams and much better than preseason expectations. I know I'd rather be playing Vanderbilt and Tennessee this season.

We had 201 yards vs Kentucky. We had 202 yards vs Florida. We're last in every offensive category in conf games except passing where we're 13th. We haven't broken 100 yards total in the 2nd half of sec games combined. We haven't scored a 2nd half point yet in sec games. Florida and Kentucky both held us to their least amount of yards and points for this season; they've both played an fcs team. Yeah, Florida and Kentucky are the best defenses since 2011 Bama and LSU. No way it's just we were terrible offensively... can't blame joe

msstate7
10-03-2018, 07:50 AM
Beginning of the year: 'We are loaded and now have a coach who can actually maximize what we have and not coach scared and compete with the top teams in the West. We've never been set up better. We have a real shot at the SEC title.'

Now: 'This team has obvious weaknesses. We haven't been that good recently and you can't expect a new coach to come in and implement a new scheme right away. We weren't set up well to compete.. It takes time to build.'

The Mullen hate here is deep... won't let them see past their noses

smootness
10-03-2018, 07:57 AM
If you think Mullen loses either of those games with this team, you're insane.

smootness
10-03-2018, 08:00 AM
Beginning of the year: ' We may not lose more than 1 game. LSU's a definite win, we can definitely beat Auburn, we can challenge Bama, and nobody else is even a threat.'

Now: 'Hey, Kentucky is really good.'

bluelightstar
10-03-2018, 08:05 AM
Beginning of the year: ' We may not lose more than 1 game. LSU's a definite win, we can definitely beat Auburn, we can challenge Bama, and nobody else is even a threat.'

Now: 'Hey, Kentucky is really good.'

This sort of rationalization is really mind-boggling.

dawgday166
10-03-2018, 08:06 AM

YEAR Team OA SEC Rank
2017 LSU 9-4, 6-2, #18
2014 @ LSU 8-5, 4-4, UR
2009 OM 9-4, 4-4, #20

I'm telling you ... Mullen >>>>>> Saban. The majority of posters on here are already aware of that. *

smootness
10-03-2018, 08:09 AM
I'm telling you ... Mullen >>>>>> Saban. The majority of posters on here are already aware of that. *

None of this is about Mullen. You'll notice the only people bringing up Mullen are the people who want to explain away our crapfest this year. No one you think is pumping him up is even bringing him up initially.

This is about Moorhead. Mullen was gone either way, and any weaknesses or deficiencies he had are gone with him. This is about evaluating Moorhead. And so far, he sucks.

dawgday166
10-03-2018, 08:19 AM
Moorhead does suck so far. But to say we'll never win more than 8 with him is a little premature just yet IMO. He's going through some growing pains right now and it's painful for all of us. The question is will he and his staff learn from this and evolve to become better.

Bo Bounds was raving about how good Mullen was the other other day. Said someone told him that Mullen told them (you know the drill) that after watching the tape, Mullen knew he'd win the game. Bo also said Mullen put together a brilliant game plan. Not saying game plan wasn't good, it was. But to listen to Bo you would've thought FL won 35-6, not 13-6 with lone TD using a gimmick play.

And while I think we beat KY with Mullen, I think it probably would've been close and is also the type of game Mullen can lose. Mullen doesn't do too well as a big favorite against a good team, and KY is pretty decent ... not great but good. It's the kind of game Mullen can overlook and lose.

bluelightstar
10-03-2018, 08:21 AM
And while I think we beat KY with Mullen, I think it probably would've been close and is also the type of game Mullen can lose. Mullen doesn't do too well as a big favorite against a good team, and KY is pretty decent ... not great but good. It's the kind of game Mullen can overlook and lose.

We almost never lost games as a favorite with Mullen. Of course, we rarely won as the underdog.

smootness
10-03-2018, 08:22 AM
Moorhead does suck so far. But to say we'll never win more than 8 with him is a little premature just yet IMO. He's going through some growing pains right now and it's painful for all of us. The question is will he and his staff learn from this and evolve to become better.

Bo Bounds was raving about how good Mullen was the other other day. Said someone told him that Mullen told them (you know the drill) that after watching the tape, Mullen knew he'd win the game. Bo also said Mullen put together a brilliant game plan. Not saying game plan wasn't good, it was. But to listen to Bo you would've thought FL won 35-6, not 13-6 with lone TD using a gimmick play.

No, that's precisely the game Mullen almost never did lose. He lost the games we were underdogs in, but as favorites? No.

And I didn't say Moorhead would never win more than 8, though at this point I'll be shocked if he does. I said he wouldn't take us past the 7-8 win level that Mullen supposedly had us stagnant at. Moorhead will not take us beyond the level Mullen had us. That seems pretty clear at this point.

msstate7
10-03-2018, 08:30 AM
So far, Moorhead's offense = sirmon's defense

dawgday166
10-03-2018, 08:38 AM
No, that's precisely the game Mullen almost never did lose. He lost the games we were underdogs in, but as favorites? No.

And I didn't say Moorhead would never win more than 8, though at this point I'll be shocked if he does. I said he wouldn't take us past the 7-8 win level that Mullen supposedly had us stagnant at. Moorhead will not take us beyond the level Mullen had us. That seems pretty clear at this point.

Your key phrase there was "almost never did". I said he'd most likely win it but it would've probably been close. But every so often he could lose those ... mostly to OM tho.

smootness
10-03-2018, 08:40 AM
Your key phrase there was "almost never did". I said he'd most likely win it but it would've probably been close. But every so often he could lose those ... mostly to OM tho.

Everyone loses those from time to time. Mullen won games he was favored more often than most coaches. We would have beaten Kentucky and Florida if he were the coach. And if he didn't, he would have been absolutely crucified and run out of town. Justifiably.

msstate7
10-03-2018, 08:41 AM

Now we'll get losses to most everyone