PDA

View Full Version : What if we aren't that talented?

Man in Ole Detroit
10-01-2018, 01:54 PM
Just a thought. After watching this team, we are only above average talented on the defensive line, safety and Kylin Hill.

Seems to me like this team was built for Dan Mullen's offense, which sort of elevated their talent.

Political Hack
10-01-2018, 01:56 PM
We're more talented than Kentucky.

ShotgunDawg
10-01-2018, 01:59 PM
Just a thought. After watching this team, we are only above average talented on the defensive line, safety and Kylin Hill.

Seems to me like this team was built for Dan Mullen's offense, which sort of elevated their talent.

I definitely think this is part of it.

Begs the question though, shouldn't MSU be running an offense that fits what we can typically recruit?

Jack Lambert
10-01-2018, 02:01 PM
Nice ****ing first post Bear!

bluelightstar
10-01-2018, 02:01 PM
We have more than enough talent to score more than 13 points and gain more than 403 combined yards in 2 games.

smootness
10-01-2018, 02:02 PM
Then a whole bunch of 3rd party observers were entirely wrong, and Mullen and his staff are as good as any in the country.

That, or Moorhead just isn't good.

Which is more likely?

MadDawg
10-01-2018, 02:21 PM
Then a whole bunch of 3rd party observers were entirely wrong, and Mullen and his staff are as good as any in the country.

Which is more likely?

Are these really mutually exclusive?

Doggie_Style
10-01-2018, 02:31 PM

Which is more likely?

You are correct, it's essentially the same personnel so the only difference is the coaching staff

DawgFromOxford
10-01-2018, 02:39 PM
Doesn't matter if you think we are talented or not. This same team won 9 games last year, so there is no reason we shouldn't be able to win 9 again this year.

Man in Ole Detroit
10-01-2018, 03:04 PM
I definitely think this is part of it.

Begs the question though, shouldn't MSU be running an offense that fits what we can typically recruit?

No question on this. I think Mullen's offense or its variations (run-based spread) were perfect for MSU. He just failed to recruit well enough across the board.

I still cannot believe the guy let Cam Newton get away, 8 years later.

Pit Bull
10-01-2018, 03:09 PM

Well, this same team from last year basically had a QB run for 150 yds. and the RB ran for about a 100 vs BAMA. Should be interesting to see how we do vs BAMA this year. And both of said players rushed for almost a 1000 yds and over a 1000 yds. respectively for the season. This year is starting to feel like the X-Files.

BrunswickDawg
10-01-2018, 03:32 PM
Doesn't matter if you think we are talented or not. This same team won 9 games last year, so there is no reason we shouldn't be able to win 9 again this year.

We thought the same thing after winning 9 in 2010 and had a team that had lost 3 players on defense (McPhee, Wright, and Chris White), and brought basically everyone back on offense except 2 OL (sherrod and brignone)
We then had a terrible offense with 2 NFL RB, the guy who would be our #2 all-time receiver in yards and #1 in TDs, and 3 future NFL OL (Clausell, Jackson, and Day).
Our defense had 12 guys who either made an NFL roster or practice squad.

We went 7-6.