PDA

View Full Version : Here is what to be really worried about....

Coursesuper
10-01-2018, 12:34 PM
I know that many of you still feel that this football season is salvageable. I don't believe it but deep down in my soul I would like it to turn around, I just cant get my head where my heart is. Sadly this is a perilous situation that could cost MSU many million of $$ and years of toil and trouble to get out of. Even more pressing is fact that its not 2003 anymore, which is the last time that a situation this bad faced us.

First, they wont can this staff mid season, that's just not going to happen at MSU without it being a Canazarro type scandal.

Second, when its over after the egg we should pray that the right faction wins out and this staff is shown the door. What the people that I know are most worried about is this turning into a ten years wandering in the wilderness rebuild. If the current coaches are retained even with some staff changes to appease the masses (which never ever solves any problems), its only prolonging the inevitable and its the worst imaginable scenario.

Third, pulling the plug sooner than later is also not easy and it's going to hurt, we aren't going to bounce back into contender status any time in the next couple of years, but the long term effects of a horrid decision will be lessened.

Lastly, the vetting and hiring decision has to be in the hands of capable personnel, this might just be the trickiest part of the entire process. The needs of a few have put us in this situation and the good of the athletic department and in turn the university were not given a thought. Your Welcome fellas we appreciate it.

The worst part of all of this is, We all thought that MSU Football was in a position to finally take that big step forward and put our northern breatharian in our shadow. That's now just not the case. its time for hard decisions and putting up with a boat load of crap to get to where we want to be.

Maroonthirteen
10-01-2018, 12:53 PM
2014 and 2017 was enough to Show me we aren’t separating from OM.

If this years egg was played today, I would expect a 2008 final score.

lefty96
10-01-2018, 01:03 PM

Nope. . .

Leeshouldveflanked
10-01-2018, 01:09 PM
Nope. . .

2014 and 2017 were because Mullen was Job Hunting.... 2018 is on Cohen/Moorhead.

lefty96
10-01-2018, 01:19 PM
2014 and 2017 were because Mullen was Job Hunting.... 2018 is on Cohen/Moorhead.

The reasons will vary, but they will always be there.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-01-2018, 01:22 PM

If this years egg was played today, I would expect a 2008 final score.

How could we seperate from OM? Did you really think we were going to?? It is the same as it always has been and it will continue to be. There will never be that much separation between us. Hell even the year we went to number 1 they were right there behind us. Just the way it is.

Coursesuper
10-01-2018, 01:31 PM
How could we seperate from OM? Did you really think we were going to?? It is the same as it always has been and it will continue to be. There will never be that much separation between us. Hell even the year we went to number 1 they were right there behind us. Just the way it is.

This kind of attitude is exactly why we will never be any better than we are and when we regress its a huge step back. Thanks, you are Missipy State. I guess we should just shut it down.

Maroonthirteen
10-01-2018, 01:37 PM

I agree with everything you typed. Also I am going to predict, in the next 50 years, Alabama will win 45-49 of the next 50 we play vs. them.

Really Clark?
10-01-2018, 01:37 PM

Fitz doesn’t get hurt and we win in 2017. Heck if KT isn’t a fumble machine we probably win, he nearly brought us back anyway

Political Hack
10-01-2018, 02:03 PM
Set your calendar and bump this in 5 years. I'm worried you're 100% correct.

TrapGame
10-01-2018, 02:43 PM
If this offense is still a cluster 17 on Thanksgiving night against a bad om defense Moorhead should be fired before he leaves the visitors' locker room. It will not get better next year.

Dawgfan77
10-01-2018, 02:49 PM
I don?t think joe gets this turned around and my fear is we end up keeping him one more year and then make a change. Our coaching talent pool maybe worse than it was when we hired dan. That?s the reason this hire was so damn important not just for this year but for the future of our program. Cohn shit the bed with this hire

Pit Bull
10-01-2018, 03:05 PM
If this offense is still a cluster 17 on Thanksgiving night against a bad om defense Moorhead should be fired before he leaves the visitors' locker room. It will not get better next year.

We lose a lot of talent next year. Next year is the rebuilding year.....gonna be tough. I would be willing to bet ULL and KState will either beat us or come dang close to it.

Coursesuper
10-01-2018, 07:38 PM

90% of the folks on here have no idea how far this can set us back, this situation can so very sideways so very fast. I post about that and get replies about UM. This is a very very bad situation for the football program.

Jack Lambert
10-01-2018, 07:58 PM
I don't worry about anything Miss State Sports. I roll with it. I worry about things that effects my life. State winning or losing don't pay my bills or put food on the table. Going to football games is something I do not because I have to but because I want to.

ShotgunDawg
10-01-2018, 08:18 PM
I agree with the general sentiment in this thread, but I try to take a more process oriented view of things.

I'm pissed, but, at this point, we could be experiencing general growing pains of a drastically different offense that for whatever reason the coaches chose to not dumb down or focus on our personnel when designing.

However, if it's just growing pains and we show quality progress throughout the year, I'm willing to give him another year. However, if we are stuck looking awful and with no progress, then you've got to let him go.

I genuinely believe that that Moorhead is a good football coach, but I'm not sure if he can run this offense at MSU with what we've already got on campus and what we are capable of consistently recruiting.

You don't fire guys as punishment for 17ing up. You fire them when they aren't in the best interest of your future.

Political Hack
10-01-2018, 08:24 PM
It's possible that this could be a huge set back, but it's also very possible we look back on this in a matter of weeks and laugh about it. That's up to JoMo and the players. The wheels are coming off right now though. They better fix it quick or it's going to be bad.

Lord McBuckethead
10-01-2018, 09:38 PM
I don?t think joe gets this turned around and my fear is we end up keeping him one more year and then make a change. Our coaching talent pool maybe worse than it was when we hired dan. That?s the reason this hire was so damn important not just for this year but for the future of our program. Cohn shit the bed with this hire

It's not over. I am still with Moorhead.

timotheus
10-01-2018, 09:44 PM

I'm in the Cohen shit the bed crowd. Got him a "yes man".

Dawg61
10-01-2018, 10:03 PM
90% of the folks on here have no idea how far this can set us back, this situation can so very sideways so very fast. I post about that and get replies about UM. This is a very very bad situation for the football program.

Why are you melting so hard? We can't fire Moorhead this early. Drink a beer.

Todd4State
10-02-2018, 12:53 AM
A lot of the problem is we haven't shown that we are willing to play the recruiting game hard enough. I bitched about Hevesy and Gonzalez for years and look at what is killing us now on offense. But recruiting rankings are overrated.

I agree with ISID in another thread- our program is soft. We haven't won a game with anything major on the line since 2014 Auburn. We let Ole Miss take cheap shot after cheap shot last year and then the Elston his on Dak in 2014 and our guys just sat there with their thumbs up their ass. Not to mention the multiple times we absolutely bitched out against Alabama. But of course we have multiple fans that supported all of that blindly.

Joe may not work out- Cohen probably won't work out as AD or doesn't appear to me to be working out on multiple levels. But there is no way we let it go on for 10 years. We didn't even let Croom or Felker have that much time- we actually gave them half of that. We can't afford to and I think the right people would step up before it got that out of hand. And in today's current SEC climate MSU is not going to give Moorhead 5 years to figure it out. It's just not going to happen in today's day and age.

I agree about the needs of the few putting us in this situation. Honestly, that's probably more urgent for us at the moment than the football team. Obviously, you have the baseball scandal with Cann, the baseball search going sideways with the "we're getting a guy with Omaha experience who is a HOF guy comment before the ink was dry which blew up in Cohen's face and has unfairly hurt Lemonis from a support standpoint IMO when otherwise we should be reasonably excited and now you have Moorhead looking really bad and no one with a lot of confidence that he is going to actually turn it around at this point. And then you have the video department suffering which hurts MSU's brand and marketing and fan morale and interest plus football gameday is a complete cluster. And I'm sure that there are many other things that I don't see because I'm not around MSU athletics 40 hours+ a week.

Todd4State
10-02-2018, 12:55 AM

How about not shooting ourselves in the foot every time they go on probation? That would be a good start. If we have a National type program for five years while they struggle through probation it absolutely would affect Ole Miss negatively for years to come. No question about it.

Dawgfan77
10-02-2018, 06:18 AM
I just do not understand how you can not see he is a failure. In his PC yesterday he said he can see the light at the end of the tunnel.... why should we be looking for a light. He was given the train loaded up and he has proceeded to run it off the tracks. Next week will be we need to execute better in two weeks he will blame the coaches after A&M he starts blaming players. Joe is predictable and just a terrible hire. He will probably have more quotes to tweet out and talk about in interviews.

Dawgtini
10-02-2018, 06:53 AM

Ditto. His first six games at Penn State looked similar- let?s see what he can do going forward.

Really Clark?
10-02-2018, 07:18 AM
Ditto. His first six games at Penn State looked similar- let?s see what he can do going forward.

Other than the Michigan game (who ended up 10th in the country) which produced 10 pts and 191 yards, the record is really the only similarity. They put up 406 yards and 39 pts in the loss to Pitt (ranked 23rd at the time but finished unranked). Not saying he won’t or can’t turn it around but they never had back to back offensive games against unranked opponents like the last 2 we just played

Coursesuper
10-02-2018, 07:25 AM
A lot of the problem is we haven't shown that we are willing to play the recruiting game hard enough. I bitched about Hevesy and Gonzalez for years and look at what is killing us now on offense. But recruiting rankings are overrated.

I agree with ISID in another thread- our program is soft. We haven't won a game with anything major on the line since 2014 Auburn. We let Ole Miss take cheap shot after cheap shot last year and then the Elston his on Dak in 2014 and our guys just sat there with their thumbs up their ass. Not to mention the multiple times we absolutely bitched out against Alabama. But of course we have multiple fans that supported all of that blindly.

Joe may not work out- Cohen probably won't work out as AD or doesn't appear to me to be working out on multiple levels. But there is no way we let it go on for 10 years. We didn't even let Croom or Felker have that much time- we actually gave them half of that. We can't afford to and I think the right people would step up before it got that out of hand. And in today's current SEC climate MSU is not going to give Moorhead 5 years to figure it out. It's just not going to happen in today's day and age.

I agree about the needs of the few putting us in this situation. Honestly, that's probably more urgent for us at the moment than the football team. Obviously, you have the baseball scandal with Cann, the baseball search going sideways with the "we're getting a guy with Omaha experience who is a HOF guy comment before the ink was dry which blew up in Cohen's face and has unfairly hurt Lemonis from a support standpoint IMO when otherwise we should be reasonably excited and now you have Moorhead looking really bad and no one with a lot of confidence that he is going to actually turn it around at this point. And then you have the video department suffering which hurts MSU's brand and marketing and fan morale and interest plus football gameday is a complete cluster. And I'm sure that there are many other things that I don't see because I'm not around MSU athletics 40 hours+ a week.

I'm not suggesting that it will take ten years to move this staff out but if its allowed to be bad for three years then that could be how long it will take the program to get back to being competitive. Three years of loosing will set the program back so far in recruiting that we are looking a "Remember the Maine" type scenario. With the lack of winning we don't just lose players, but giving will take a nose dive, ticket sales and crowds will tank and then who cares if we have the metal detector lines. I don't think anyone wants to go back to those days.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-02-2018, 07:28 AM
This kind of attitude is exactly why we will never be any better than we are and when we regress its a huge step back. Thanks, you are Missipy State. I guess we should just shut it down.

It's not a matter of attitude it's facts bro. It has been that way for years.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-02-2018, 07:30 AM
That's quite the attitude you have there, poor ole missppi State.***

Dawg61
10-02-2018, 07:35 AM
Other than the Michigan game (who ended up 10th in the country) which produced 10 pts and 191 yards, the record is really the only similarity. They put up 406 yards and 39 pts in the loss to Pitt (ranked 23rd at the time but finished unranked). Not saying he won’t or can’t turn it around but they never had back to back offensive games against unranked opponents like the last 2 we just played

He also was just the OC at PSU and had Saquon Barkley & Trace McSorley to help him.

Coursesuper
10-02-2018, 07:41 AM
It's not a matter of attitude it's facts bro. It has been that way for years.

So your effectively saying that Mississippi State shouldn't even try, we are just what we are and should be satisfied. Read Todd's post he summed it up pretty well.

Dawg2003
10-02-2018, 07:48 AM
I just do not understand how you can not see he is a failure. In his PC yesterday he said he can see the light at the end of the tunnel.... why should we be looking for a light. He was given the train loaded up and he has proceeded to run it off the tracks.

Somebody made this point to me yesterday. Greg Knox won without a DC coordinator, no OL coordinator, a freshman QB, and a bunch of GAs. Because Greg Knox stuck to the plan and did what they had been doing. When you think about it like that, it makes you really made at JoMo. What we have is essentially the same team that won a bowl game under bad conditions. All JoMo had to do was not wreck it. Just let it do what it had been doing and then change more next year if he wanted to. And he couldn't even do that.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-02-2018, 07:48 AM
So your effectively saying that Mississippi State shouldn't even try, we are just what we are and should be satisfied. Read Todd's post he summed it up pretty well.

I've never said we shouldn't try but we don't have the benefit that LSU has with being the only P5 school in state. I am not saying we won't have really good years but to say we're gonna run off and leave OM is just ridiculous. With all the crap they have been through with the NCAA bs and Hugh Freeze, if we couldn't separate then we ain't separating.

Dawg61
10-02-2018, 08:05 AM
Somebody made this point to me yesterday. Greg Knox won without a DC coordinator, no OL coordinator, a freshman QB, and a bunch of GAs. Because Greg Knox stuck to the plan and did what they had been doing. When you think about it like that, it makes you really made at JoMo. What we have is essentially the same team that won a bowl game under bad conditions. All JoMo had to do was not wreck it. Just let it do what it had been doing and then change more next year if he wanted to. And he couldn't even do that.

That's kinda impossible to expect him to let the team run the system for a year basically since almost none of the coaches he hired were here last year.

Dawgfan77
10-02-2018, 08:14 AM
I've never said we shouldn't try but we don't have the benefit that LSU has with being the only P5 school in state. I am not saying we won't have really good years but to say we're gonna run off and leave OM is just ridiculous. With all the crap they have been through with the NCAA bs and Hugh Freeze, if we couldn't separate then we ain't separating.
Your the epitome of ?we should know our place? crown. GTFO with that. We had a great opportunity to leave OM and we hired Moorhead. I bet you were in the give croom time genespage crowd as well
We don?t have the benefit of being the only P 5 team in state but most people tend trend to more of the MSU culture than the OM culture and that leads us to have the built in benefit of getting a higher % of in state recruits. But. What did Cohn do.. he hires Moorhead
We had a window and we still have time but we have to make a change EOY

Coursesuper
10-02-2018, 08:30 AM

That's where your missing the point, this year and this team was the opportunity to begin the put that space between us. This year should have been the beginning of a process, if we could have done what was expected we would continue to gain momentum so far we have literally dropped the ball. But this is all a moot point now because its not going to happen.

Dawg61
10-02-2018, 09:18 AM
Your the epitome of ?we should know our place? crown. GTFO with that. We had a great opportunity to leave OM and we hired Moorhead. I bet you were in the give croom time genespage crowd as well

This is a terrible comment. OM has just as much resources as we do and they're an SEC school just like we are. They've been playing this game of trying to separate just as long as we have. Nobody succeeds in being able to do so. Know your enemy. Dawg-gone-dawgs isn't wrong.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-02-2018, 03:56 PM
This is a terrible comment. OM has just as much resources as we do and they're an SEC school just like we are. They've been playing this game of trying to separate just as long as we have. Nobody succeeds in being able to do so. Know your enemy. Dawg-gone-dawgs isn't wrong.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dawg61 again.

MedDawg
10-02-2018, 04:33 PM
I just do not understand how you can not see he is a failure. In his PC yesterday he said he can see the light at the end of the tunnel.... why should we be looking for a light. He was given the train loaded up and he has proceeded to run it off the tracks. Next week will be we need to execute better in two weeks he will blame the coaches after A&M he starts blaming players. Joe is predictable and just a terrible hire. He will probably have more quotes to tweet out and talk about in interviews.

Bullsh*t. Failure? Fire Moorhead after just 2 losses? Kentucky is #13 and Florida is #22. State receiver catches one perfect 50-yard throw and we probably beat Florida.

So many great coaches have started out worse. Even Saban at Alabama lost to UL-M and Croom, even after he had already been a head coach at Michigan State, LSU, and with the Miami Dolphins.

That doesn't mean Moorhead will become a great coach but it does mean you can't know he isn't one.

Worst damn fans I've ever seen.

lastmajordog
10-02-2018, 05:21 PM
delete

Dawgfan77
10-03-2018, 05:45 AM
Bullsh*t. Failure? Fire Moorhead after just 2 losses? Kentucky is #13 and Florida is #22. State receiver catches one perfect 50-yard throw and we probably beat Florida.

So many great coaches have started out worse. Even Saban at Alabama lost to UL-M and Croom, even after he had already been a head coach at Michigan State, LSU, and with the Miami Dolphins.

That doesn't mean Moorhead will become a great coach but it does mean you can't know he isn't one.

Your blind to the fact that we have amassed 400 yds of offense in two sec games. 2! And It?s not getting any easier. He was not hired for a re build. He was hired to win now. It boils down to Cohn tried to be the smartest guy in the room and hired someone who had no business being an SEC coach. If I?m wrong after theses next few weeks I will come back and say, I?m sorry guys I was wrong. But having seen the last two weeks and based on the PC this week no way we get this turned around. Some coaches don?t think we have any issues just execution.

TrapGame
10-03-2018, 08:20 AM
Your blind to the fact that we have amassed 400 yds of offense in two sec games. 2! And It?s not getting any easier. He was not hired for a re build. He was hired to win now. It boils down to Cohn tried to be the smartest guy in the room and hired someone who had no business being an SEC coach. If I?m wrong after theses next few weeks I will come back and say, I?m sorry guys I was wrong. But having seen the last two weeks and based on the PC this week no way we get this turned around. Some coaches don?t think we have any issues just execution.

Right now he's looking more Charlie Weiss than Charlie Strong. If Moorhead can get the offense going and win four of the next seven then he's proven to me he can be a decent head coach. If we go 3-9/4-8 it shows he's in way over his head in the conference.

Really Clark?
10-03-2018, 08:21 AM

Not calling you out with the bulk of your post but are you saying that execution is just an excuse used by the coach? Because our execution on offense is a very legitimate problem. Game planning and play calling are secondary if we can’t execute as one unit 25% of the plays. Not saying the other parts are not a concern along with in game adjustments, execution is not just coach speak or throwing players under the bus (most coaches refer to that are meaning they have not taught the players well enough to execute)

StarkVegasSteve
10-03-2018, 08:31 AM

Everyone loves to bring up the Saban losing to ULM and Croom in his first year. Saban took over an absolute train wreck at Bama. It's damn impressive how fast he built it up no matter if it's Bama or not. Moorhead was given a CFP contender and he effectively ran it into the ground. I'm not saying Moorhead isn't a good coach or that he can't turn it around. But this isn't 2007 in the SEC. We don't have time to wait for a rebuild. Right now we're probably between 6-8 in the SEC, but we have even 2 bad years and we'll fall to the 11-14 range real fast.

Really Clark?
10-03-2018, 08:56 AM
Everyone loves to bring up the Saban losing to ULM and Croom in his first year. Saban took over an absolute train wreck at Bama. It's damn impressive how fast he built it up no matter if it's Bama or not. Moorhead was given a CFP contender and he effectively ran it into the ground. I'm not saying Moorhead isn't a good coach or that he can't turn it around. But this isn't 2007 in the SEC. We don't have time to wait for a rebuild. Right now we're probably between 6-8 in the SEC, but we have even 2 bad years and we'll fall to the 11-14 range real fast.

Wait now, for Bama they were not a great program but they won 10 games just the year prior in 2005 and won 6 in 2006. Lets not act like he stepped into a program that had nothing. They just needed the right coach at the right time to step in. And there are always growing pains the first year and they were very close to winning 10+ his first year anyway

StarkVegasSteve
10-03-2018, 09:14 AM
Wait now, for Bama they were not a great program but they won 10 games just the year prior in 2005 and won 6 in 2006. Lets not act like he stepped into a program that had nothing. They just needed the right coach at the right time to step in. And there are always growing pains the first year and they were very close to winning 10+ his first year anyway

That's like saying we're really close to being 5-0. It still didn't happen. But I'll agree with you that they probably only needed the right coach. I guess it was more of a culture thing than a dumpster fire.

Really Clark?
10-03-2018, 10:03 AM
That's like saying we're really close to being 5-0. It still didn't happen. But I'll agree with you that they probably only needed the right coach. I guess it was more of a culture thing than a dumpster fire.

I get that but they beat ranked Ark that year lost to GA in overtime and I don’t think they lost by more than 7 points any game. To show he is not a perfect coach either, if he kicks the FG in our game they win that one most likely, instead we get a pick six and some had a false sense that Croom was righting the ship that year. Ha

Saban is good but he was the perfect fit for that program and that point in time. I don’t think he would have had the same elite success anywhere else. Perfect storm really

Johnson85
10-03-2018, 11:24 AM

All we needed to do was make a good hire. Obviously easier said than done, but it's not like it takes some miracle. Two out of our last four football hires have been good. If we had made another good hire that gave us 5-7 years, we would be on a 13-15 year bowl streak when UM had significant problems. It's never going to be the difference between Ohio State and Ohio, but we could have come close to maybe Virginia Tech and Va or UGA and Ga Tech.