PDA

View Full Version : Let's pretend we got a mulligan - who do you go hire instead?

Irondawg
10-01-2018, 11:34 AM
Aranada? - part of me wonders if he really wants to be a HC since i would certainly think teams have asked about it but I've never even seem him rumored for a HC job

Maybe have kept Thompson? But he doesn't really strike me as a HC

I honestly don't know who I'd feel great about. Really good head coaches are not that easy to find. Especially ones that can win consistently without top 10 recruiting talent.

msstate7
10-01-2018, 11:34 AM
Neal Brown

Irondawg
10-01-2018, 11:38 AM
Neal Brown

And what makes you so confident in him?

msstate7
10-01-2018, 11:44 AM

I asked the magic 8-ball if he was the real deal, and it answered...

https://i.postimg.cc/MGSFwTpc/903_F455_C-8420-404_D-8727-2117_A86_E26_B6.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Wd5n6srj)

Dawgfan77
10-01-2018, 12:04 PM
Aranada? - part of me wonders if he really wants to be a HC since i would certainly think teams have asked about it but I've never even seem him rumored for a HC job

I honestly don't know who I'd feel great about. Really good head coaches are not that easy to find. Especially ones that can win consistently without top 10 recruiting talent.
Scott Saterfield
Neal Brown
Matt Candle
Ryan Day
Chris Hatcher
Bill Clark

Anyone of those would wipe the floor with joe

TrapGame
10-01-2018, 12:08 PM
Scott Saterfield
Neal Brown
Matt Candle
Ryan Day
Chris Hatcher
Bill Clark

Didn't we interview Saterfield for this job? I thought he was one of the coaches Cohen interviewed in Atlanta.

Coldsleeve Jr.
10-01-2018, 12:09 PM
I'd take Les Miles at this point. Seriously. At least he's attended an SEC game before

ScottH
10-01-2018, 12:11 PM
Napier

Cooterpoot
10-01-2018, 12:13 PM
Go ask Mullen who he'd recommend.***

msstate7
10-01-2018, 12:14 PM
Greg Knox beat a team with a pulse, unlike Moorhead. Maybe we should've stuck with him

the_real_MSU_is_us
10-01-2018, 12:14 PM

Troy went 3-9, 6-6, 5-7, 3-9 the 4 years before Brown. He went 4-8, 10-3 (almost upset Clemson), 11-2 (beat LSU), and is currently 3-1 (win over Nebraska) with the only loss coming to Boise, though admittedly that was a blowout. His teams win more with O than D, whatever that means to you.

So he took a bad program and made them elite (for their level, of course), consistent, and able to punch well above their own weight. Troy has never had a 9+ win seasons before Brown. As far as recruiting, he's had great success finding under the radar guys and developing them. Obviously "under the radar" is relative to the kind of teams he's competing against and he isn't getting SEC talent, but he's a good evaluator and developer and those translate to us pretty well in my opinion.

Is he a slam dunk? Nobody is. But he's done a hell of a job at a bad program, and I think the way he does it would translate to us pretty well. Only negative is I think he needs both an OC and a DC, so we may have to pay more for a staff and have less coaching consistency since 2 coordinators can be poached for more money instead of just 1. He's making $800k now so we'd have gotten him last year for cheap.

I'm with 7 on this one, if I could go back in time I'd hire Brown

Really Clark?
10-01-2018, 12:15 PM
Scott Saterfield
Neal Brown
Matt Candle
Ryan Day
Chris Hatcher
Bill Clark

What on Ryan Day’s resume, which includes being fired and tied up with some Chip Kelly offense that stunk, leads you to believe he would succeed as a HC in the SEC? And his 3 years with Addazio they went 4-8, 7-6, 7-6. Don’t get suckered In by an interim coach.

Hatcher had a losing record at Murray St and is 1-3 this season. His success at Valdosta was over a decade ago and he was avg at GA So. But let’s give him an SEC gig? I would ride Moorehead another than go that route

Jason Candle at Toledo? Was that who you mean? He may be good and would have a better idea after another couple of years. The smaller the conference you poach from the longer track record you want to see from that coach. But I think he is a good young coach

Dawgfan77
10-01-2018, 12:18 PM
What on Ryan Day’s resume, which includes being fired and tied up with some Chip Kelly offense that stunk, leads you to believe he would succeed as a HC in the SEC? And his 3 years with Addazio they went 4-8, 7-6, 7-6. Don’t get suckered In by an interim coach.

Hatcher had a losing record at Murray St and is 1-3 this season. His success at Valdosta was over a decade ago and he was avg at GA So. But let’s give him an SEC gig? I would ride Moorehead another than go that route

Jason Candle at Toledo? Was that who you mean? He may be good and would have a better idea after another couple of years. The smaller the conference you poach from the longer track record you want to see from that coach. But I think he is a good young coach
It?s a list I?d start with but honestly Saterfield and brown would be the two best fits

MetEdDawg
10-01-2018, 12:20 PM
Someone explain how Ryan Day would be any different than Moorhead?

That list isn't good which should tell us everything we need to know. Mullen elevated the program, but anyone that would have taken our job would have been a gamble because they would have either been unproven as a head coach or have been a HC at a G5 program. We got in Moorhead someone that had done both. He was a coordinator at a Top 10 program and was a successful head coach at a lower level.

He had the pedigree and background to indicate he would be successful. That still doesn't change the fact that no matter who we brought in that we would have some growing pains. We have no clue what our staff would have looked like if we hired someone else or what our recruiting class would have looked like. We might not have Lovett, Whop, or a few others. Maybe we win another game. Who knows. But no one can say this or any other hire wouldn't have gone the exact same way it has thus far.

smootness
10-01-2018, 12:23 PM
There is no clear answer to that question. There never is. You never fully know what a coach will do in a given situation until they're put into that situation. You just do the best you can and then evaluate.

And I think we did the best we could. I loved the hire and was fully behind it. But it seems clear Moorhead is not actually good enough. So you try again.

I seen it dawg
10-01-2018, 12:26 PM
Nick Saban for ****s sake

Fader21
10-01-2018, 12:29 PM
The more you think about it Neal Brown is a great choice.

Tbonewannabe
10-01-2018, 12:30 PM
We would have to continue going down the shitter before I see Moorhead not getting another year. Everyone thought Moorhead was a homerun hire including the national media.

I haven't broke down and watched any of the Matt Wyatt film breakdown or anything like that but are we at least close to having a good offense? I know we had receivers wide open when Fitz was sacked but I haven't really rewatched anything. Is it on the players as much as the coaches? Players have to catch the damn ball or throw it to open guys. Our Oline looks like they have no clue what they are doing which looks like it is coaching on that part.

I just find it hard to believe that the difference in a SEC defense is that much different than a Big10 defense or the jump from Fordham athletes going against Div 1. He has been very successful everywhere he has been but I guess it doesn't matter if the players can't pick it up.

We have all seen how Mullen's offense could go to shit if WRs don't block correctly or the QB or RB don't read where the hole is going to open up. Is this the case with our players now?

I seen it dawg
10-01-2018, 12:33 PM
Osiris catches the TD we are talking totally different today. Literally one play from we have righted the ship to we have to fire this guy now.

Really Clark?
10-01-2018, 12:36 PM
It?s a list I?d start with but honestly Saterfield and brown would be the two best fits

I think they are really good coaches as well BUT especially for Satterfield, that is an enormous jump running an SEC program from App St. And App St is pretty much all he knows. He did help and did a great job transitioning to the FBS ranks. The last 2 coaches to make the jump from the Sunbelt to SEC, Malzhan and Freeze also had SEC experience as well. And Malzhan was considered the next coach in line for an SEC job prior. He was smart enough to leave Chiz before being fired with everyone else.

Neal Brown was the OC for Stoops the first 2 years so we do have a little glimpse to what his offense can do in the SEC as well as in the Big 12 at TX Tech. Was 13th the first year and increased 9 points to 9th in the SEC the second year. But has done really well at Troy.

Unfortunately there is no direct magic formula but on average a highly successful coordinators at big programs seem to do a little better going straight to a P5 HC position than HC from small programs. The main thing is it has to be a good fit with the school, program, and vision

smootness
10-01-2018, 12:47 PM
Osiris catches the TD we are talking totally different today. Literally one play from we have righted the ship to we have to fire this guy now.

Anyone claiming we have righted the ship simply because we scored one TD and barely beat Florida would be a crazy person.

Irondawg
10-01-2018, 12:47 PM
Doesn't Troy throw a lot as well though? I know it's quicker stuff but i don't recall them being a power spread team

Really Clark?
10-01-2018, 12:52 PM
Doesn't Troy throw a lot as well though? I know it's quicker stuff but i don't recall them being a power spread team

Normally but they are running at at 56% clip this year. But he has been around 50-53% pass to run the previous 3 years

preachermatt83
10-01-2018, 12:57 PM

This is not correct. At all.

preachermatt83
10-01-2018, 12:58 PM
Anyone claiming we have righted the ship simply because we scored one TD and barely beat Florida would be a crazy person.

Yup

Lord McBuckethead
10-01-2018, 01:00 PM
I am still on Moorheads side. All of this is terrible, because by all accounts we should be 5-0 right now. Best team ever.....blah blah blah. Well the play calling is grade A terrible. Doesn't mean Moorhead cannot learn how to call this team. Just wish he would have done it in August versus after 2-4 losses.

ShotgunDawg
10-01-2018, 01:09 PM
Greg Knox beat a team with a pulse, unlike Moorhead. Maybe we should've stuck with him

I like Knox but he beat Peter Sirmon.

Keep it in context

msstate7
10-01-2018, 01:10 PM
I like Knox but he beat Peter Sirmon.

Keep it in context

It was a shot at Moorhead, and a joke

I seen it dawg
10-01-2018, 01:29 PM

And you can be damn sure people would be doing it just like people are lynching Moorhead now.

I seen it dawg
10-01-2018, 01:30 PM
This is not correct. At all.

Yes i know it's wrong to do. But would have been done anyway.

HaggardDawg
10-01-2018, 03:36 PM
Shane Beamer?

Really Clark?
10-01-2018, 03:37 PM
Shane Beamer?

Don’t see these ***

smootness
10-01-2018, 03:38 PM
And you can be damn sure people would be doing it just like people are lynching Moorhead now.

Come on, you have to admit Moorhead deserves the criticism right now.

If you can't, then all your criticisms of Mullen can be chalked up to bias.

dawgs
10-01-2018, 03:43 PM

I don't know that many of us would say the offense has righted the ship if we win 14-13, but it's a lot easier to discuss flaws after a W than after an L without jumping straight to the "fire the bum!" conclusion.

bulldawg28
10-01-2018, 03:51 PM
Kiffin

msstate7
10-01-2018, 03:55 PM
Kiffin

I'm with you, but he's not realistic with Cohen

Dawg61
10-01-2018, 03:57 PM
Art & Kendal Briles. Lock up two HCs for the next two decades that'll always score a ton of points and nobody will try to poach from us.

Really Clark?
10-01-2018, 04:11 PM
Art & Kendal Briles. Lock up two HCs for the next two decades that'll always score a ton of points and nobody will try to poach from us.

The CFL team had to fire him after one day because of the public backlash last year. The only job Art could get was in Italy. You are insane to even bring his name up. Hiring him should immediate grounds to fire the AD and remove the president. Not to mention he can’t get confirmed by the State school board anyway. Until all of the legal is settled, he is absolutely untouchable

Dawg61
10-01-2018, 04:40 PM
The CFL team had to fire him after one day because of the public backlash last year. The only job Art could get was in Italy. You are insane to even bring his name up. Hiring him should immediate grounds to fire the AD and remove the president. Not to mention he can’t get confirmed by the State school board anyway. Until all of the legal is settled, he is absolutely untouchable

I want a coach that'll score a bunch, win a bunch and nobody else will ever want. Starkville & MSU football isn't gonna suddenly develop a rape culture problem because Briles is hired. Gene Hackman got a 2nd chance in Hoosiers.

Dawgfan77
10-01-2018, 05:01 PM
I am still on Moorheads side. All of this is terrible, because by all accounts we should be 5-0 right now. Best team ever.....blah blah blah. Well the play calling is grade A terrible. Doesn't mean Moorhead cannot learn how to call this team. Just wish he would have done it in August versus after 2-4 losses.
What gives you hope in Moorehead? Honest question. He has shown no signs of being able to adjust in game and in halftime. He continues to call his offense with no plan. He looks like a deer in the headlights. 4th down he threw his hand ups and then asked the ref was that targeting? If he was gonna fix the offense like he said last week after UK you would have seen something different. Nothing was different. He abandons the run and never tries anything to get outside

Bothrops
10-01-2018, 05:21 PM

He did a good job for the bowl, but Louisville had Peter Sirmon, which invalidates them.

Really Clark?
10-01-2018, 06:15 PM
I want a coach that'll score a bunch, win a bunch and nobody else will ever want. Starkville & MSU football isn't gonna suddenly develop a rape culture problem because Briles is hired. Gene Hackman got a 2nd chance in Hoosiers.

Yeah ashamed that you post that absurd take. Have a drop of integrity and morals...Waco HS wouldn?t even hire him. A high school won?t touch him

3rdGen
10-01-2018, 06:42 PM
I?m taking Kiffin. At the least we would be more potent on offense simply because he knows how to adjust in game. I have seen it.

Dawg61
10-01-2018, 06:45 PM
Yeah ashamed that you post that absurd take. Have a drop of integrity and morals...Waco HS wouldn?t even hire him. A high school won?t touch him

Expected

Really Clark?
10-01-2018, 07:13 PM
Expected

You should have expected it and no other college or HS or pro football team in this country agree with you either

Dawg61
10-01-2018, 07:16 PM
You should have expected it and no other college or HS or pro football team in this country agree with you either

Great so we get to win a shit ton of games and never have our coach poached.

Really Clark?
10-01-2018, 07:25 PM
Great so we get to win a shit ton of games and never have our coach poached.

He’s done and IF he ever gets another job it won’t be at a major university. High probability he is never successful again either. Most never can rehab their image or ever recreate their past success after something like this. Especially in this day and time...and the idea of winning football by hiring him is completely skewed point of view. Life is much much larger than football

Dawg61
10-01-2018, 07:28 PM
He’s done and IF he ever gets another job it won’t be at a major university. High probability he is never successful again either. Most never can rehab their image or ever recreate their past success after something like this. Especially in this day and time...and the idea of winning football by hiring him is completely skewed point of view. Life is much much larger than football

We can hire his son.

Really Clark?
10-01-2018, 07:32 PM
We can hire his son.

Different circumstance and he would have to be vetted extremely closely. But an easier sell, IF he is cleared from the lawsuits about his knowledge and/or cover-ups and is at a major program as OC or HC at a smaller school with appropriate success to be considered. Still 2-3 years away most likely before any decision can be made

Dawg61
10-01-2018, 07:38 PM
Different circumstance and he would have to be vetted extremely closely. But an easier sell, IF he is cleared from the lawsuits about his knowledge and/or cover-ups and is at a major program as OC or HC at a smaller school with appropriate success to be considered. Still 2-3 years away most likely before any decision can be made

He's been the OC for Baylor, Lane Kiffin (FAU) and currently Houston. Houston had 671 yards of offense in their last game.

Really Clark?
10-01-2018, 07:54 PM
He's been the OC for Baylor, Lane Kiffin (FAU) and currently Houston. Houston had 671 yards of offense in their last game.

Yeah and you don’t hire an OC from outside of the P5 to lead your SEC program. Baylor ties him to his dad too closely, in football terms you question when he was there how much play calling and game planning he was ahead of with Art being heavily involved. Outside of football, you have to know what, if any, improper conduct he knew about intimately or a part of the coverup or completely innocent in the wrong doing. He has to do it at a big program without his dad or be in charge of a smaller program first. The number of big number coordinators or HC from smaller conferences that completely flopped in bigger conferences is a big concern for running a complete program in the P5

Dawg61
10-01-2018, 08:36 PM
Yeah and you don’t hire an OC from outside of the P5 to lead your SEC program. Baylor ties him to his dad too closely, in football terms you question when he was there how much play calling and game planning he was ahead of with Art being heavily involved. Outside of football, you have to know what, if any, improper conduct he knew about intimately or a part of the coverup or completely innocent in the wrong doing. He has to do it at a big program without his dad or be in charge of a smaller program first. The number of big number coordinators or HC from smaller conferences that completely flopped in bigger conferences is a big concern for running a complete program in the P5

If he was a perfect candidate we'd never get him and even if we could he'd leave on the first bus available. Baylor is a P5 program that was the best offense in the country under him. His offense hasn't fallen off at all at either of his next two stops. I want a coach that'll score a lot of points and be here for twenty years.

FISHDAWG
10-01-2018, 08:52 PM
I?m taking Kiffin. At the least we would be more potent on offense simply because he knows how to adjust in game. I have seen it.

well if you're taking Kiffin then I'm taking B Petrino .... with the caveat that doesn't include Sirmon

Really Clark?
10-01-2018, 08:52 PM
If he was a perfect candidate we'd never get him and even if we could he'd leave on the first bus available. Baylor is a P5 program that was the best offense in the country under him. His offense hasn't fallen off at all at either of his next two stops. I want a coach that'll score a lot of points and be here for twenty years.

I want a coach to prove his offense works in a P5 without daddy doing much of the game planning and play calls. Putting up numbers, like Sumlin did at Houston, doesn’t equal same success in the SEC consistently. Malzhan hasn’t either. Charlie Strong had big offenses at Louisville, not at Texas. Herman hasn’t scored the same at Texas as he did in Houston. In fact at this point, numbers put up at Houston doesn’t give me confidence that it will translate to the SEC at all. Since Briles we are starting to see a pattern that it’s the league and playing against poor defensive’s are inflating numbers.

dawgday166
10-01-2018, 08:56 PM
Freeze baby!!!!!!

Dawg61
10-01-2018, 09:33 PM
I want a coach to prove his offense works in a P5 without daddy doing much of the game planning and play calls. Putting up numbers, like Sumlin did at Houston, doesn’t equal same success in the SEC consistently. Malzhan hasn’t either. Charlie Strong had big offenses at Louisville, not at Texas. Herman hasn’t scored the same at Texas as he did in Houston. In fact at this point, numbers put up at Houston doesn’t give me confidence that it will translate to the SEC at all. Since Briles we are starting to see a pattern that it’s the league and playing against poor defensive’s are inflating numbers.

I agree with all of this except the daddy play calling part. K Briles has proven he can still score just as many points without his daddy's help on the sideline. Granted it's not the SEC though. I do think we need to get a coach that's not gonna leave right away or be a hot candidate regardless of success though. Our fragile fan base can't take another coach ditching us for awhile.

HoopsDawg
10-01-2018, 09:46 PM
Troy went 3-9, 6-6, 5-7, 3-9 the 4 years before Brown. He went 4-8, 10-3 (almost upset Clemson), 11-2 (beat LSU), and is currently 3-1 (win over Nebraska) with the only loss coming to Boise, though admittedly that was a blowout. His teams win more with O than D, whatever that means to you.

So he took a bad program and made them elite (for their level, of course), consistent, and able to punch well above their own weight. Troy has never had a 9+ win seasons before Brown. As far as recruiting, he's had great success finding under the radar guys and developing them. Obviously "under the radar" is relative to the kind of teams he's competing against and he isn't getting SEC talent, but he's a good evaluator and developer and those translate to us pretty well in my opinion.

Is he a slam dunk? Nobody is. But he's done a hell of a job at a bad program, and I think the way he does it would translate to us pretty well. Only negative is I think he needs both an OC and a DC, so we may have to pay more for a staff and have less coaching consistency since 2 coordinators can be poached for more money instead of just 1. He's making $800k now so we'd have gotten him last year for cheap.

I'm with 7 on this one, if I could go back in time I'd hire Brown

Impressive

Pit Bull
10-02-2018, 05:14 AM

Joey Jones on our own staff would do better than this.