PDA

View Full Version : How did you come to like the sports you like?

Jack Lambert
10-01-2018, 09:50 AM
As a youth I played two years of baseball. I didn't really like it but my first time at bat I got hit by the ball and made me fearful to get into the batter box so at the age of 9 was my last year to play baseball. I never watched it so I never developed that love for it.

As A teenage I play football, was good at it and loved it. I had a few scholarships offers but did not play. I was just burned out. I also watched the NFL on Sundays. Hated the Steelers but loved the Saints. Funny thing is most of my favorite football players where from the late 70's Steelers. I only had three channels to watch but with UHF I was able to get four. Growing up on a farm I was too busy on Saturdays to watch college football so I never developed the love for it.

When I joined the Marine Corp I did not watch much football. However I do remember watching the Super Bowl. A lot of times we were given a 72 hour weekend pass for the Super Bowl. I always went to the USO to watch that game. Sometimes watched it on Monday afternoon depending on where I was. Obviously I did not watch college football.

After the Marine Corp but while in college I found my love for the NFL and watched it all the time. I did not have any interest in College Football.

After finishing at State I started watching Miss State football and feel in love with college football. After a while I liked it more then the NFL. Now I have lost all interest in the NFL. Too political, run by idiots and the quality on the field is not where it should be.

I only follow Miss State baseball and basketball. I do not watch those sports out side that.

I will watch NHL ever once in a while.

Tbonewannabe
10-01-2018, 10:07 AM
I grew up watching MLB. I played baseball in school and backyard basketball. We had a satellite out in the country so I watched the Braves and Yankees. I didn't watch football until high school and only watched occasionally. I watched more NBA and MLB than anything else and occasionally MSU football and basketball. In college I watched all the MSU games and started watching the NFL every week. I also started watching college baseball and basketball on a regular basis.

I now live in Atlanta and have gone to a few soccer games which I now occasionally watch.

Leroy Jenkins
10-01-2018, 10:07 AM
I was a 3-sport guy in HS in the early 90s. I loved football (by a large margin over other sports), liked basketball, and tolerated baseball because my friends liked it. See, I was going to be Dan Marino when I grew up, but by the time I was 16-17 I knew that wasn't going to pan out. MSU fandom in any sport came from dad.

Cubs fandom came from Harry Caray, Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, Greg Maddox, Shawn Dunston, Mitch Williams, and Andre Dawson (WGN was 1 of 4 channels we received) in the late 80s.

These days I wouldn't watch a basketball game if they were playing in my front yard, but I will still school my kid on the hoop in the driveway from time to time.

BrunswickDawg
10-01-2018, 11:03 AM
Grew up in a sports junkie family. My granddaddy was a 4 sport letterman in HS, played minor league ball, and was playing JUCO football at Georgia Military College with an offer to transfer to UGA to play RB when his National Guard unit went active duty in December 1940. My uncle was a HS All-American linebacker who got a full ride to GT. My other grandfather was a scratch golfer. So sports was a huge part of our lives.
My mom tells stories of me being 2-3 and re-enacting football and baseball games I'd watched on TV or listened to on the radio by myself in the yard. And doing it for hours. Falcons, Braves, UGA, Hawks, 80s GT basketball (Mark Price era) fan. Grew up playing football, baseball, basketball, soccer, and golf. Was probably best at soccer but loved baseball too much. Had a couple of JUCO/small school baseball scholarship offers that I didn't pursue. Atlanta Chiefs NASL team was big influence, playing at Graham Tutt youth soccer clinics during the late 70s early 80s "first wave" of youth soccer. Really only follow MSU, the Braves, Atlanta United, Liverpool, and Celtic FC now.