PDA

View Full Version : Fix what you got or get something new again?

Dawg61
10-01-2018, 08:44 AM
Everyone needs to be asking themselves if it's easier to get our current head coach to fix his deficiencies or to hire someone knew and learn about their deficiencies and then get them to fix those? We will never hire a perfect coach because they don't exist. Saban might be but he's not human and we can only afford to pay for a human coach. When you ask yourself this you should come to the conclusion hopefully that it's a whole lot easier to just get Moorhead to fix his broken offense than it is to venture out into the deep abyss of unknown again. Moorhead has proven to be capable of running a great offense. His resume can't possibly be false about that. Good offense cures a lot of ills. Score a bunch of points again and win and the bitching starts going away real fast.

TrapGame
10-01-2018, 08:58 AM
Will he though?

If we aren't running AW/KH 60% of the time this Saturday he never will change. Slow developing plays in the SEC will kill you. We have no tempo. We aren't catching defenses out of alignment.

LSU pounded AU. They don't have a Fournette back and still pounded AU.

Doggie_Style
10-01-2018, 08:59 AM
I agree that firing Moorhead after just 1 year carries significant risk of wrecking the overall program going forward. With that said, we are facing a 5 win season that, with a talented team, is hard to swallow. For me it's all about recruiting. If Moorhead can bring in a top 20 class this year including a solid OL class, a top receiver and at least 2 decent RB's I would forgive the poor play this year and see what happens in 2019.

msstate7
10-01-2018, 09:01 AM
We need to have 10 plays scripted and run them as fast as possible to open the game Saturday. No check with me... everyone know the 10 and run. Hopefully we steal a td early by completely catching auburn unexpectedly

Dawg61
10-01-2018, 09:04 AM
I agree that firing Moorhead after just 1 year carries significant risk of wrecking the overall program going forward. With that said, we are facing a 5 win season that, with a talented team, is hard to swallow. For me it's all about recruiting. If Moorhead can bring in a top 20 class this year including a solid OL class, a top receiver and at least 2 decent RB's I would forgive the poor play this year and see what happens in 2019.

If Moorhead will stop changing his initial play call and speed way up on offense we can still get 6/7 wins this year. Maybe 8 with a bowl game win. I think just about all of us would take 8-5 right now if we could. That's wins over La.Tech, OM, Arkansas, 1 upset and 1 bowl win.

TrapGame
10-01-2018, 09:10 AM
We need to have 10 plays scripted and run them as fast as possible to open the game Saturday. No check with me... everyone know the 10 and run. Hopefully we steal a td early by completely catching auburn unexpectedly

This.

And we need Fitz running three plays he can check into. That's it, three. No 15 second check with me just a quick 3 second check at the line and snap the ball. Move with some tempo. We can shock some defenses with a little now.

I seen it dawg
10-01-2018, 10:58 AM
What if it's not Moorhead's deficiencies but it's the programs....I'm gonna wait and see.

Gutter Cobreh
10-01-2018, 12:13 PM
What if it's not Moorhead's deficiencies but it's the programs....I'm gonna wait and see.

I'm in the same boat as you... but we're definitely in the minority!!!

I seen it dawg
10-01-2018, 12:17 PM
I'm in the same boat as you... but we're definitely in the minority!!!

And that's ok. I'm not saying Jomo isn't a worse hire than Crooms but I'm gonna have to get a bigger sample size.

smootness
10-01-2018, 12:20 PM
Everyone needs to be asking themselves if it's easier to get our current head coach to fix his deficiencies or to hire someone knew and learn about their deficiencies and then get them to fix those? We will never hire a perfect coach because they don't exist. Saban might be but he's not human and we can only afford to pay for a human coach. When you ask yourself this you should come to the conclusion hopefully that it's a whole lot easier to just get Moorhead to fix his broken offense than it is to venture out into the deep abyss of unknown again. Moorhead has proven to be capable of running a great offense. His resume can't possibly be false about that. Good offense cures a lot of ills. Score a bunch of points again and win and the bitching starts going away real fast.

There's a difference between a coach who isn't perfect and an incompetent coach. Moorhead so far seems to be more of the latter.

And it isn't just the offense that is the problem, or at least not just playcalling. It is the overall attention to detail, energy, and focus within the program. Right now it's just not there, and that's on the coach.

So I think the answer in this case is clearly to get something new again.

smootness
10-01-2018, 12:20 PM

If it's the program's, though...did Mullen just mask them somehow for almost a decade? Is he just brilliant?

Also, wasn't the argument that the program was better than anybody thought and Mullen was holding us back? That any competent coach could come in and do similar things to Mullen? But now it's that Moorhead is good and the program is holding us back?

I seen it dawg
10-01-2018, 12:22 PM
If it's the program's, though...did Mullen just mask them somehow for almost a decade? Is he just brilliant?

This is a thought we were pondering Saturday night....did he actually just recruit guys that could only really run his system...I think it's plausible.

TrapGame
10-01-2018, 12:26 PM
And that's ok. I'm not saying Jomo isn't a worse hire than Crooms but I'm gonna have to get a bigger sample size.

I respect you ISID. You're one of my favs around here. But, if we have returning offensive personnel for next year still unable to execute Moorhead's scheme by the time we play the EB we need to be very worried about the future.

Now I really hope we start turning this thing around Saturday. Plays start clicking, reads are quicker and maybe we find a little tempo. We actually score some TDs and look good I think some of us (including me) might be able to climb down from the ledge.

I seen it dawg
10-01-2018, 12:29 PM
I respect you ISID. You're one of my favs around here. But, if we have returning offensive personnel for next year still unable to execute Moorhead's scheme by the time we play the EB we need to be very worried about the future.

Now I really hope we start turning this thing around Saturday. Plays start clicking, reads are quicker and maybe we find a little tempo. We actually score some TDs and look good I think some of us (including me) might be able to climb down from the ledge.

Appreciate that. I'm not trying to be right here. I'm just saying just like we couldn't anoint him Bill Walsh the first 3 games we can't anoint him Sylvester Ray after the last 2. I'm not real happy with what I see so far but I am also not sold we are going 3-8 and never gonna be able to beat South Alabama again....oh wait...

smootness
10-01-2018, 12:32 PM
This is a thought we were pondering Saturday night....did he actually just recruit guys that could only really run his system...I think it's plausible.

But a lot of the guys we have on offense were at least decent recruits. We don't have a lot of world beaters on that side, but they're at least good. 2 4-star RBs. Our OL doesn't have guys who were big-time recruits, but they weren't duds, either. Stewart Reese and Darryl Williams definitely had some other good offers, and these are all guys who graded out well last year. It's not like the zone blocking scheme we were running is some bizarre thing that requires only a very specific skillset that nothing else needs.

Stephen Guidry is supposedly as talented as they come. And while guys like Mitchell and Austin Williams weren't great recruits, they're at least playing ahead of Devonta Jason.

Nick Fitzgerald is obviously the guy who maybe just can't run certain schemes. But it's not as though Moorhead's scheme is night and day from Mullen. We're not going from the triple option to a pro set. Fitzgerald passed the ball plenty well enough last year and looked confident doing it. He led the SEC in total offense.

I just don't get how the narrative has done such a 180 so quickly. The program was supposedly the asset that Mullen was wasting...now it's the thing holding us back? If that's the case, then Mullen is a genius and anyone who ever called for him to go is an absolute moron.

He also took Tyson Lee and at least made him competitive. He took Chris Relf and won 9 games. He made Dak Prescott into an NFL QB. He turned Nick Fitzgerald into a force. If Moorhead can't take a guy who isn't 100% perfectly suited for his offense and coach him a little to at least be mildly effective, then he sucks. Period.

smootness
10-01-2018, 12:34 PM
Appreciate that. I'm not trying to be right here. I'm just saying just like we couldn't anoint him Bill Walsh the first 3 games we can't anoint him Sylvester Ray after the last 2. I'm not real happy with what I see so far but I am also not sold we are going 3-8 and never gonna be able to beat South Alabama again....oh wait...

Why still take shots at Mullen at this point? If your argument is correct, we should worship the ground he walks on.

I seen it dawg
10-01-2018, 01:27 PM
Why still take shots at Mullen at this point? If your argument is correct, we should worship the ground he walks on.

I'm not arguing he's the right guy. I'm not arguing he's the wrong guy. I'm arguing a larger sample size needs to be seen. That's all. I'm just throwing out other side things to think about than lynch Moorhead bc no one else is hardly.

And **** Mullen.