PDA

View Full Version : Something I've been seeing and want to address

Coach34
10-01-2018, 08:00 AM
I've seen people talking about how "Fitz is so confused and its causing us to rush to get the play off"

Fitz is not confused. Moorhead is calling the formation and a play- we get lined up. Then Fitz is supposed to check with Moorhead again once the defense lines up to see if its ok to run that play. If it's not- then Fitz has to go to the line and check to a new play that Moorhead called instead. Then we snap the ball with under 5 seconds every time because of this process.

This dragging, slow-motion offense is all on Moorhead- not Fitz.

dawgday166
10-01-2018, 08:03 AM
Yea ... folks saying Fitz is a dummy ... I just ain't believing that. The only really question I have with Fitz some, and it's because TV doesn't show entire field, is how far he makes it thru his post snap progressions.

jdwhite
10-01-2018, 08:07 AM
Bingo!

At least some of the time Moorhead should have a hot play against the other team's normal defenses. If Fitz walks to the line and sees the current play isn't designed to attack the defense automatically check to the hot play and go.

hacker
10-01-2018, 08:22 AM
Wasn't this supposed to be a system that gave the QB a lot of autonomy? What happened to that? Maybe Moorhead doesn't think Fitz can handle it yet?

Jack Lambert
10-01-2018, 08:23 AM
I knew this however after fitz changes the play then the defense changes again. You can see it every time. The Defense is adjusting after our change of play. Like I said in another thread my son can guess what is coming.

Coursesuper
10-01-2018, 08:34 AM
[QUOTE=Coach34;1002024]I've seen people talking about how "Fitz is so confused and its causing us to rush to get the play off"

Fitz is not confused. Moorhead is calling the formation and a play- we get lined up. Then Fitz is supposed to check with Moorhead again once the defense lines up to see if its ok to run that play. If it's not- then Fitz has to go to the line and check to a new play that Moorhead called instead. Then we snap the ball with under 5 seconds every time because of this process.

This dragging, slow-motion offense is all on Moorhead- not Fitz.[/QUOT

There is some major league over thinking going on its paralysis by analysis. I understand the primes but we are not on the same page.

Leroy Jenkins
10-01-2018, 08:37 AM
My issue with this way of doing things is it creates a Chinese fire drill before the snap where we have to rush to get the play off. This prevents us from being able to mentally prepare for a second or two before the snap and get our head right for what we are going to execute. It's like we are "tempo-ing" our own selves and causing our own miscues. It's football dude run the damn play. The game has been played for a hundred years; the wheel can get only so round.

A good plan executed on time is better than a perfect plan executed too late

The perfect is the enemy of the good.

RougeDawg
10-01-2018, 08:41 AM
I knew this however after fitz changes the play then the defense changes again. You can see it every time. The Defense is adjusting after our change of play. Like I said in another thread my son can guess what is coming.

Yes. Our playcalling this year is even more predictable than the DM offenses. If people like you and I can see this after tailgating 5-7 hours, you know a well trained defense that studies film all week can. I was sick to my stomach watching our new HC drive a Ferrari 15 mph on the frontage road.

Not only does the slow tempo kill our offensive momentum, it takes the fans out of the game. I cannot stand watching any team or game that is played that slow. That?s why the new baseball rules in college and MLB have increased viewership. In this day of instant everything, you can?t go into a no tempo offense.

Dawg61
10-01-2018, 08:59 AM
Good point. Moorhead is being a moron right now about this. Smells like insecurity to me. How does he even know his initial call is going to be unsuccessful unless he runs it a couple times and sees it getting shut down first? He's changing the play before even knowing it's not going to work. He's getting his ass handed to him by the other DC's right now but more so than that he's out thinking himself and it's totally destroying his offense. The #1 reason he was hired in the first place.

munk_munk92
10-01-2018, 09:10 AM
Its a combinations of things, 1. Look at how long it takes us to run a play. Last year Dan ran the ball over 60% of the time last year and we still averaged around 72 plays a game. Right now we are averaging around 60 and we are passing the ball about 50% of the time. 2. Look at the stats and you'll see the running backs took most of the running plays last year. This year it ain't even close. We have no running call plays and to much RPO. 3. Running like we did last year imposes your will and it's easier to block than pass blocking. Imposing your will on a team pays off in late 3rd and 4th qtr. That's how we beat most teams last year. We have to get back to imposing our will, we need about 5 good running plays that the team can run in their sleep. We can mix the formation up but still run the same play. Mix that in with a few pass plays and we will win.

Liverpooldawg
10-01-2018, 09:14 AM
One thing y'all are missing in the play count, if you can't move the ball it's going to be low. We can't move the ball.

Cooterpoot
10-01-2018, 09:16 AM
Just say it. Moorhead is lost vs this kind of competition and seems to not give a shit that we returned a wealth of talent. He's just going to continue to bang his head against the wall and pray for 5 wins.

Tbonewannabe
10-01-2018, 09:29 AM
Also running the clock down every time benefits the defense. The defense knows that we aren't snapping it so they know when to fire off on the Oline. The flip side is the Oline is basically doing yoga sitting in a stance for 30 seconds every play. This is wearing down our oline instead of us pounding on the Dline and wearing them out. Instead of us getting stronger in the 4th quarter, we are wearing ourselves out and look worse. UK and UF started getting more pressure in the 4th because the Oline is just wore out.

yjnkdawg
10-01-2018, 09:57 AM
I don't think this "dragging slow-motion offense" is good for any of our players, to perform to their best abilities. I'm not blaming Fitz, as he shoukdn't be in this situation. This check with me concept is getting to the point where it is over thinking by our coach, I believe. It is basicaly a cat and mouse game between our offense and the opposing defense. It is back and forth and we are trying to be the "Cat" but better defenses are making us be the mouse. It is definitely not helping our offensive line's performance, by having to wait out the count down of the play clock just before the play clock expires., and then the ball is snapped. By that time a good defense will be in the set they want to be in. Why can't we do a check with me, and then maybe change the play, but then snap the ball before we give the defense time to adjust. I think we need a quicker snap high tempo offense to be effective. Even Saban now realizes that.