PDA

View Full Version : Reality is ...

dawgday166
10-01-2018, 07:13 AM
Before the season started everybody in media was in love with AU. But they were replacing 4 Olinemen with guys who hadn't played much. I said before the season that teams usually take a step back when that happen, cause it is very hard to do. Of any position group, the Oline has to work as a team more than any other. Communication is key with them.

Well AU is struggling big time on O and honestly, if this were last year's MSU team with coaching staff we would wax them next weekend.

Well ... the same can be said for replacing a whole coaching staff (in college at least). There is always a big step back when that happens. Saban has replaced his whole staff this year but, Saban is Saban so that don't count ... plus he has the best players money can buy.

I initially said we'd probably take a step back, but then bought into Joe and staff (even tho I really questioned 2 hires a lot) and figured with our upperclass leadership we might be very good.

Well we're not. And the 2 staff position coaches I questioned the most, Johnson and Lukubu, those positions aren't playing near as well as they should be IMO. I wasn't bothered by Johnson playing in college at OM, what bothered me was his lack of experience as an Oline coach. I wanted an experienced, very established Oline coach.

What I'm saying is ... we replaced the whole staff and we're taking a step (or maybe a couple) backwards. I ignored that and wanted to believe ... but it turned out like deep down I know it always will.

2015 Georgia team lost 3 games (1 to Bama). 2016 lost 6 when Kirby was in his 1st year, when everyone thought they'd be really good cause of the talent they had. Then look at Ga last year. While Bama wasn't that good year before Saban, Saban did lose to Croom his first year.

Joe needs to make some staff adjustments. He also needs to increase the intensity and work of the team. He needs to make them tough. If he does those things, he may turn out alright.

msstate7
10-01-2018, 07:27 AM
I agree a year can make a big difference, but saban and smart are terrible comparisons. We ain't pulling in a top 3 class this year like saban and smart did their first full cycle

dawgday166
10-01-2018, 07:28 AM
No doubt. It will take Joe longer plus he's learning a lot now that I don't believe he was prepared for. SEC is a ferocious league and I'm not sure he was prepared for that.

msstate7
10-01-2018, 07:31 AM
If we can find some semblance of an offense this week and win this game, it could flip the whole season. I'm not holding my breath, but I am crossing my fingers

dawgday166
10-01-2018, 07:35 AM
Yea .. me too. If you could flip it on O, we may could still win 8. Not counting on it tho.

Post I saw somewhere else was ... every team Joe has went to, whether as OC or HC, he's started 3-2 with some losses no one really expected or some ass whuppins. Each team has turned it around and went on to finish very well that season.

If it weren't for Johnson's inexperience and him being overwhelmed, I might would be more optimistic. This issue concerns me a lot.

BrunswickDawg
10-01-2018, 07:39 AM
This is a correct perspective. Most of us ignored it because "18 returning starters!!!" and the media helping us along the hype train. Learning entirely new systems is not easy. You spend as much time un-learning as you do learning. Especially when you have been doing something 1 way for 4 years. I'd love to see some of our fans try it. Yes, we have looked terrible on offense the last two games and given away winnable games.

There is a difference in Saban replacing a bunch of staff too - the wholesale system stays the same. No change in terminology, no change in base playbook, no change in scheme. It's still the Saban system. It's why our defense - other than the year moving from 4-3 to 3-4 - was able to move forward with a new DC every year. It was still the same play book, coverages, and guiding philosophy.

And Kirby Smart had these recruiting classes on campus - 7 (2011), 9 (2012) ,8 (2013), 12 (2014), 6( 2015) and went 6-6.

msstate7
10-01-2018, 07:49 AM
Yea .. me too. If you could flip it on O, we may could still win 8. Not counting on it tho.

Post I saw somewhere else was ... every team Joe has went to, whether as OC or HC, he's started 3-2 with some losses no one really expected or some ass whuppins. Each team has turned it around and went on to finish very well that season.

If it weren't for Johnson's inexperience and him being overwhelmed, I might would be more optimistic. This issue concerns me a lot.

21-10 state. I've had a good feeling about this since Saturday night. Not sure why, but I think we get it done. I did not have a good feeling about Florida

dawgday166
10-01-2018, 07:57 AM
21-10 state. I've had a good feeling about this since Saturday night. Not sure why, but I think we get it done. I did not have a good feeling about Florida

I sorta have too. Not sure why. I think we've looked so bad AU may overlook us some on their D side of the ball. And if our front 7 plays to their capabilities, I kind think they should live in the AU backfield and Stidham ain't mobile ... he struggles a lot under pressure.

I also kinda think that with KY, we just took them for granted. With FL, I do think that Fitz (and maybe others) may have wanted to beat them too bad and that was in his (their) head some. Maybe since no one expects much from us this week, we can come out relaxed and just playing ball and do pretty decent.

Dawg61
10-01-2018, 07:58 AM
The speed of our offense is very worrisome to me right now. Fitz seems to really be struggling with it and I don't see Moorhead having an urgency for him to pick it up faster. He wants Fitz taking his lumps to learn the offense but then at the same time wants him triple checking with the sideline first before snapping the ball. Speed the damn offense up. Way up. We won't win any SEC games getting so few snaps off. The only TD we scored in the last two games took over 8 minutes to do so.

Lance Harbor
10-01-2018, 08:02 AM
2015 Georgia team lost 3 games (1 to Bama). 2016 lost 6 when Kirby was in his 1st year, when everyone thought they'd be really good cause of the talent they had. Then look at Ga last year. While Bama wasn't that good year before Saban, Saban did lose to Croom his first year.

AND

These are monster points. Give them a few hundred more game reps and a even more practice reps and eventually things will click. The raised bar is that the click needs to happen vs SEC Blue Bloods.

Before the season started everybody in media was in love with AU. But they were replacing 4 Olinemen with guys who hadn't played much. I said before the season that teams usually take a step back when that happen, cause it is very hard to do. Of any position group, the Oline has to work as a team more than any other. Communication is key with them.

Well AU is struggling big time on O and honestly, if this were last year's MSU team with coaching staff we would wax them next weekend.

Well ... the same can be said for replacing a whole coaching staff (in college at least). There is always a big step back when that happens. Saban has replaced his whole staff this year but, Saban is Saban so that don't count ... plus he has the best players money can buy.

I initially said we'd probably take a step back, but then bought into Joe and staff (even tho I really questioned 2 hires a lot) and figured with our upperclass leadership we might be very good.

Well we're not. And the 2 staff position coaches I questioned the most, Johnson and Lukubu, those positions aren't playing near as well as they should be IMO. I wasn't bothered by Johnson playing in college at OM, what bothered me was his lack of experience as an Oline coach. I wanted an experienced, very established Oline coach.

What I'm saying is ... we replaced the whole staff and we're taking a step (or maybe a couple) backwards. I ignored that and wanted to believe ... but it turned out like deep down I know it always will.

Joe needs to make some staff adjustments. He also needs to increase the intensity and work of the team. He needs to make them tough. If he does those things, he may turn out alright.

Really Clark?
10-01-2018, 08:09 AM

At Penn St his first year they lost to #23 Pitt 42-39 and 49-10 to # 6 Michigan

I seen it dawg
10-01-2018, 10:16 AM

I can agree on Johnson as our OL especially LT is not helping us in pass game. But it is hard to block 8 in the box all the time.

I disagree at LB outside of Leo. He has been playing flag football. Errol and Willie are all over the place and making plays. They need to play and Leo needs to leave. He's killing us.

I seen it dawg
10-01-2018, 10:18 AM

AND

These are monster points. Give them a few hundred more game reps and a even more practice reps and eventually things will click. The raised bar is that the click needs to happen vs SEC Blue Bloods.

Very good historical perspective. I'll add Clemson wanted to tie cinder blocks around Dabos ankles and drop him the ocean when he started...

Really Clark?
10-01-2018, 11:00 AM
Very good historical perspective. I'll add Clemson wanted to tie cinder blocks around Dabos ankles and drop him the ocean when he started...

That was mainly after his second year when they went 6-7 but he didn’t get the massive support at the beginning. Some thought he would just be a weak extension of Tommy Bowden.

smootness
10-01-2018, 11:08 AM
What Moorhead does is offense. The last two games are the two worst back-to-back offensive showings we've had in 10 years, with a team that should in no way be producing it. Period. You can throw out all the comparisons you want, teams in situations that aren't ours.

What he is producing, through his coaching, right now, is awful and unacceptable. I made excuses for Croom. I made excuses for Rick Ray. No more. Moorhead is not good enough.