PDA

View Full Version : My Next Requirement of An MSU Head Coach

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2018, 10:50 PM
I've still got hope for Moorhead but, if I were ever interviewing to find a football head coach, I have a new requirement.

- You must have worked with the guy that will you're OL coach and he must already know your system.

It may just be that simple guys. Mullen is a good coach, but they key in that deal is that he had already worked with Hev and knew that Hev knew his offense.

Why is Fisher hit the ground running at A&M? His OL coach is a 20 year veteran and was retained from Sumlin's staff.

It's not just about getting an offensive guy as your head coach. Batman needs his Robin or it'll be a pain in the ass to implement a new scheme.

That's my next qualification of trying to find the right guy. My guess is if Moorhead could've gotten the Penn State OL coach to come with him or Hev would've stayed, we are in a different spot right now.

Todd4State
09-30-2018, 10:55 PM
I mean we could just hire a better o-line coach in the offseason?

I think we would be better off with a "CEO" type head coach rather than a HC/coordinator guru.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2018, 11:00 PM
I mean we could just hire a better o-line coach in the offseason?

I think we would be better off with a "CEO" type head coach rather than a HC/coordinator guru.

Sure, but I'm not sure it has to do so much with who is a good OL coach and who is an average one as much as it does with everyone being on the same page along with the OL coach being good.

Make fun of the country club all you want, but the country are all on the same page and thats the secret to that operation. They've all worked with each other forever. Gonzo and Hev were with Mullen at Florida before MSU.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2018, 11:25 PM
Think about it:

Look at the previous jobs of our offensive coaches vs Florida's and A&M's

- The entire Florida offensive staff has worked under Mullen before
- 3 of the 5 A&M offensive coaches have worked under Fisher.

MSU -

Huff - Worked with Moorhead
Getsy - Green Bay
Johnson - Duke
Hud- ULL

Point is, not only did Moorhead have to teach his offense to the players, he damn near has had to teach it to his entire offensive staff. How are those coaches supposed to know every adjustment to an offense they barely know themselves? How are they supposed to have instincts with it?

Point is, when hiring an assistant, the biggest risk may not be their coaching ability but rather the ability to bring guys with them that know their offense backwards and forwards and/or put the staff together correctly.

Our offensive staff has FAR less experience than most SEC offensive staffs and all but one has never worked with Moorhead.

You want the overarching problem with our offense right now, look no further than that.

Todd4State
10-01-2018, 12:02 AM
Think about it:

Look at the previous jobs of our offensive coaches vs Florida's and A&M's

- The entire Florida offensive staff has worked under Mullen before
- 3 of the 5 A&M offensive coaches have worked under Fisher.

MSU -

Huff - Worked with Moorhead
Getsy - Green Bay
Johnson - Duke
Hud- ULL

Point is, not only did Moorhead have to teach his offense to the players, he damn near has had to teach it to his entire offensive staff. How are those coaches supposed to know every adjustment to an offense they barely know themselves? How are they supposed to have instincts with it?

Point is, when hiring an assistant, the biggest risk may not be their coaching ability but rather the ability to bring guys with them that know their offense backwards and forwards and/or put the staff together correctly.

Our offensive staff has FAR less experience than most SEC offensive staffs and all but one has never worked with Moorhead.

You want the overarching problem with our offense right now, look no further than that.

Getsy worked with Moorhead before- I think at Akron. Breiner worked with him at Fordham. The TE coach is usually for recruiting. I'm not sure how much of this is on Johnson but I could definitely see him being a scapegoat in the offseason.

Cary Hudson's little bro
10-01-2018, 08:21 AM
JoeMo's system is not hard to teach to coaches. That's ridiculous. They are there every day with him. It may have taken a couple days or maybe a week once they were hired.

ShotgunDawg
10-01-2018, 08:32 AM
JoeMo's system is not hard to teach to coaches. That's ridiculous. They are there every day with him. It may have taken a couple days or maybe a week once they were hired.

How do you know?