PDA

View Full Version : QB next year

NWADAWG
09-30-2018, 10:18 PM
I don't think KT is the heir apparent. I think Schader (sp?) will be our starter next year. He was originally recruited by Moorhead to Penn state. He looks very accurate in his highlight video. And for some reason, it doesn't seem that JoMo has faith in KT. I think he would have gotten a series or two in recent games, especially if you plan on him being your resurrection qb next year.

I don't see KT's skill set being that different than Fitz.

Maridian Dawg
09-30-2018, 10:32 PM
I think the job will be between Shraeder and Key. I don't see Mayden playing much at all while he's at state. I think Mayden might transfer next season bc of lack of pt. I wish Moorhead would go ahead and put Key in and see what he does. Fitz is going nowhere with this scheme. I haven't seen Schraeder's highlights, but I know he can throw the long ball 10x better than fitz. I think the battle between Key and Schraeder is going to be like Fitz/ D. Williams in 2016.

Todd4State
09-30-2018, 10:38 PM
I think if there is something that KT has going for him it's that he throws a more catchable ball than Fitz. He's not as fast as Fitz but he's fast enough for this offense. Throughout the rest of the year we need to figure out if KT can actually run this offense or not. If he can't I would rather us find a JUCO or a transfer QB rather than go with a true freshman next year. At the very least for depth purposes. I'm not high on Mayden for this system. I think Schraeder is going to be very good for us- but I'm leery about throwing any true freshman to the wolves right out of the gate.

bluelightstar
09-30-2018, 11:17 PM
Not that recruiting stars are always correct, but isnt Key basically our highest rated QB signee ever? Looking back, he was .9258 on the 247 composite, #5 dual threat, and a top 200 player. He wasn?t signed as some kid we were taking a flyer on in the hopes that he would pan out. If Moorhead?s offense is such that neither Fitz (a talented 5th year senior) or a high 4 star QB can run it, Moorhead might need to look himself in the mirror... And if that?s the case, I find it hard to believe that a freshman QB is going to be the savior.

Dawg61
09-30-2018, 11:23 PM
Key is our starter next year as he should be. He needs to be starting at some point this year unless Fitz drastically improves overnight. Let's not start throwing away all our built up QB depth because Moorhead has been running a shitshow offense so far. It ain't our 2nd and 3rd strings QBs fault our coach and current QB can't call a play and snap a ball before halftime.

NWADAWG
09-30-2018, 11:24 PM
Not that recruiting stars are always correct, but isnt Key basically our highest rated QB signee ever? Looking back, he was .9258 on the 247 composite, #5 dual threat, and a top 200 player. He wasn?t signed as some kid we were taking a flyer on in the hopes that he would pan out. If Moorhead?s offense is such that neither Fitz (a talented 5th year senior) or a high 4 star QB can run it, Moorhead might need to look himself in the mirror... And if that?s the case, I find it hard to believe that a freshman QB is going to be the savior.

I had similar questions on the other site.

With Fitz's injury, KT has had more time to work in JoMo's system so should know the system better. On paper, KT has a significantly better overall skill set than Fitz. JoMo will play a younger guy over established former starter (see K Hill). Yet KT hasn't been seeing the field.
In the bowl game and season opener, KT had most of his success running and didn't scare any defenses with his arm.
If JoMo thought he could win with KT, KT would be playing.

I, personally, don't care who plays QB but hope someone steps and leads this team to promise land.

Dawg61
09-30-2018, 11:27 PM
I had similar questions on the other site.

With Fitz's injury, KT has had more time to work in JoMo's system so should know the system better. On paper, KT has a significantly better overall skill set than Fitz. JoMo will play a younger guy over established former starter (see K Hill). Yet KT hasn't been seeing the field.
In the bowl game and season opener, KT had most of his success running and didn't scare any defenses with his arm.
If JoMo thought he could win with KT, KT would be playing.

I, personally, don't care who plays QB but hope someone steps and leads this team to promise land.

Who comes in and immediately benches the star heisman candidate senior QB? Nobody does that even if they think the backup is miles better and it's not realistic at all to expect Moorhead to have done that already.

Quaoarsking
09-30-2018, 11:57 PM
Is Shrader coming in January?

yjnkdawg
10-01-2018, 12:16 AM
I think the job will be between Shraeder and Key. I don't see Mayden playing much at all while he's at state. I think Mayden might transfer next season bc of lack of pt. I wish Moorhead would go ahead and put Key in and see what he does. Fitz is going nowhere with this scheme. I haven't seen Schraeder's highlights, but I know he can throw the long ball 10x better than fitz. I think the battle between Key and Schraeder is going to be like Fitz/ D. Williams in 2016.

You may be correct on Mayden, but I think he will compete. He is a competitor. Mayden should fit in this type of offensive scheme better than a DM one.

Bothrops
10-01-2018, 12:34 AM

What's wrong with Mayden?

yjnkdawg
10-01-2018, 12:43 AM
What's wrong with Mayden?

I would be interested in knowing that too, because he should be able to run a JoeMo type offense.

Pit Bull
10-01-2018, 01:33 AM

Rodney Hudson was likely the highest rated QB ever, then after that.....not sure how John Bond was rated, but he was definitely highly recruited. Hudson was the equivalent of a 5 star rated player. Believe he was considered the top QB prospect in the nation his senior year in high school.

Maridian Dawg
10-01-2018, 08:36 AM
I would be interested in knowing that too, because he should be able to run a JoeMo type offense.

From what I've seen, he's very similar to Fitz in his running style. I think he does have a better arm, but its not that impressive. Plus I think he is a DM qb, not a Moorhead qb. Hopefully I'm wrong about this.

Jack Lambert
10-01-2018, 09:21 AM
Key is our starter next year as he should be. He needs to be starting at some point this year unless Fitz drastically improves overnight. Let's not start throwing away all our built up QB depth because Moorhead has been running a shitshow offense so far. It ain't our 2nd and 3rd strings QBs fault our coach and current QB can't call a play and snap a ball before halftime.

Yep!

msu15
10-01-2018, 09:50 AM
Rodney Hudson was likely the highest rated QB ever, then after that.....not sure how John Bond was rated, but he was definitely highly recruited. Hudson was the equivalent of a 5 star rated player. Believe he was considered the top QB prospect in the nation his senior year in high school.

Kevin Fant was also very highly rated, and I believe was even higher than Eli at one point.

thf24
10-01-2018, 09:59 AM
I hate to be a "backup QB is always better" guy, but I'd like to see Key get a shot at this point, because

1. whatever we're doing on offense right now, it's stagnant against decent teams
2. Key has had more work in Moorhead's system due to Fitz' injury
3. Key hasn't displayed much, if any, better accuracy than Fitz, but unlike Fitz, the way he usually misses at least gives the receiver a chance to make a play

None of that inspires much confidence in getting better going with Key, but at this point I think it's clear we've got to do something different to get anything meaningful out of this season.

parabrave
10-01-2018, 10:08 AM
Guys with Moors current offensive strategy it wouldn't matter who we had. We have seen KT perform and know he is very capable QB but not in this system. So is Fitz but as we have seen this cerebral overthinking sh%^ is killing us. Mullen probably whispering to him Hey Key come to Florida.

yjnkdawg
10-01-2018, 10:08 AM
From what I've seen, he's very similar to Fitz in his running style. I think he does have a better arm, but its not that impressive. Plus I think he is a DM qb, not a Moorhead qb. Hopefully I'm wrong about this.

Some think he fits this offense better than a DM offense, because of his passing ability (touch, accuracy, etc.). Guess we will see.

parabrave
10-01-2018, 10:09 AM
Kevin Fant was also very highly rated, and I believe was even higher than Eli at one point.

Eli had a oline. Kevin got killed back then.

the_real_MSU_is_us
10-01-2018, 10:21 AM
Personally I'm not for benching Fitz, I think it'll cause more chaos in the locker room and I think the OL and play calling are the problem. I see no reason to think Key is a better passer, runner, or quicker at making reads than Fitz is, but I know that playing young QBs when the OL is terrible can screw up development. imo the problems with our O are 1) OL can't pass block, 2) JoMo won't run it, 3) Fitz is inaccurate. And again, I don't really think Key would solve 3).

BUT, for next year, none of us can really say if Shrader will win the job. Yes he's talented and can do what JoMo wants, but the limiter for most Fr is mental. And none of us have any clue if he'll be able to read SEC defenses, handle the speed of the game, or even pick up the system in his first year. We wont have any idea if Shrader will start till inside sources start leaking next spring

yjnkdawg
10-01-2018, 10:44 AM

He was, and possibly could have been one of the best quarterbacks in MSU history, but our players let him down. Another one of those quarterback controversies. Our coaching staff should have stepped in, but they didn't. Players wouldn't block for him. I knew one player on that team that didn't like the way Fant was treated.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-01-2018, 10:50 AM
I don?t see KT or Whop on the team January 1 if things keep trending like they are.

I seen it dawg
10-01-2018, 01:42 PM
KT is a winner....his whole life...can't teach that

dawgs
10-01-2018, 02:42 PM
Even if you think fitz can eventually grasp the offense and be productive in it, he doesn't have much time to get there. By the time he might get there, we won't really be in a position to reap the benefits. At least if it takes key a month or so of starting to get a grasp on things and get rolling, we potentially reap the benefits next year. There's just no real upside to letting fitz figure it out but there's lots of upside to letting key figure it out.