PDA

View Full Version : Any coaches want to explain why the Oline is so bad?

Tbonewannabe
09-30-2018, 08:16 PM
We have probably given up as many sacks as we did all year and now can't run the ball. Is Johnson a complete bust as Oline coach? I don't know anything about the technical aspects of blocking so was curious if more knowledgeable posters could explain. Other than WRs dropping passes, it seems like this is what has shutdown our offense.

dawgday166
09-30-2018, 08:19 PM
We have probably given up as many sacks as we did all year and now can't run the ball. Is Johnson a complete bust as Oline coach? I don't know anything about the technical aspects of blocking so was curious if more knowledgeable posters could explain. Other than WRs dropping passes, it seems like this is what has shutdown our offense.

Yessss.

WinningIsRelentless
09-30-2018, 08:30 PM
It?s real simple, we have bulldozers in the ol that are being asked to become passive and pass block every done because we can?t be down the field more than 2 yards on rpos.

We have become hunted vs. being the hunter is a easy way to think of it. The athletism of the SEC players have completely caught JOMO off guard.

parabrave
09-30-2018, 08:34 PM
It?s real simple, we have bulldozers in the ol that are being asked to become passive and pass block every done because we can?t be down the field more than 2 yards on rpos.

We have become hunted vs. being the hunter is a easy way to think of it. The athletism of the SEC players have completely caught JOMO off guard.

This and not getting the plays until 5 second to go doesn't help either. Next game watch them presnap. See how they try to figure out their assignments. This will tell you alot about their game preparation and coaching.

Tbonewannabe
09-30-2018, 08:34 PM

I don't understand how JoMo didn't know how to handle SEC defense since he was able to practice against a very good defense all spring and August.

WinningIsRelentless
09-30-2018, 08:37 PM
I don't understand how JoMo didn't know how to handle SEC defense since he was able to practice against a very good defense all spring and August.

I would bet anything he thought you had a lot of players head and shoulders over everyone else except maybe Alabama. I?m reality everyone is play is just as big and fast as our guys, we just might be stronger/more explosive than others at a few positions.

parabrave
09-30-2018, 08:41 PM
I watched LSUs Oline against OM Sat Night. What I saw was a very disciplined line that was well coached. To watch them run their trap blocking reminded me of the redskins hogs from the 80s/90s. They weren't confused and knew what their assignments were. And yes they run a simple offense

msstate7
09-30-2018, 08:43 PM
It doesn't help our oline that we seem to wait to the last second to snap either.... let's dlinemen get good jumps

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2018, 09:07 PM

This is the best explaination that I've heard.

Makes total sense did not being able to get downfield.

So as a follow up, how does Penn State do it?

BuckyIsAB****
09-30-2018, 09:19 PM

We dont practice inside run enough during the week and we dont teach combo blocks. That is from someone on the team. TIFWIW to you

WinningIsRelentless
09-30-2018, 09:23 PM
This is the best explaination that I've heard.

Makes total sense did not being able to get downfield.

So as a follow up, how does Penn State do it?

The same way we are trying to do it. However, the athletism of the comp they are facing on a consistent basis isn?t anywhere near what we face week in and week out in the sec.

Fader21
09-30-2018, 09:23 PM
Johnson is a rebel implant to bring down the program **

Jack Lambert
09-30-2018, 09:26 PM
It doesn't help our oline that we seem to wait to the last second to snap either.... let's dlinemen get good jumps

It seems like there is a play change every play.

dawgday166
09-30-2018, 09:27 PM

Don't really believe this and I see the sarcasterics but ... since he didn't go over and coach Oline at all in 4th qtr it does make me scratch my head some. To just give up in a close game like that ... don't understand it.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2018, 09:41 PM
The same way we are trying to do it. However, the athletism of the comp they are facing on a consistent basis isn?t anywhere near what we face week in and week out in the sec.

Yeah, but they've scored points against extremely talented teams as well.

I get that Bama, LSU, and Auburn may be on a different level, but I refuse to believe that USC, Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State don't have at least as much defensive talent as Kentucky and Florida. The NFL draft says that they have more.

This is just a lame excuse. Moorhead's offense has worked against better defense than he's currently seeing. It doesn't make sense.

msstate7
09-30-2018, 09:44 PM
Yeah, but they've scored points against extremely talented teams as well.

I get that Bama, LSU, and Auburn may be on a different level, but I refuse to believe that USC, Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State don't have at least as much defensive talent as Kentucky and Florida. The NFL draft says that they have more.

This is just a lame excuse. Moorhead's offense has worked against better defense than he's currently seeing. It doesn't make sense.

Did Moorhead call plays at penn st from the booth or field level?

HoopsDawg
09-30-2018, 09:45 PM
Don't really believe this and I see the sarcasterics but ... since he didn't go over and coach Oline at all in 4th qtr it does make me scratch my head some. To just give up in a close game like that ... don't understand it.

Oline is such an important position. How much could Jomo really have known about Johnson when he hired him? 2 year career is not much to go on. Is there any way we hire him if he's not from MS?

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2018, 09:47 PM
Did Moorhead call plays at penn st from the booth or field level?

Good point. I've thought of this as well and it may be an issue.

Perhaps Getsy needs to call plays and Moorhead just OK them.

Perhaps he's out of his element down on the field. That doesn't explain why apparently he was a great play caller at Fordham though.

dawgday166
09-30-2018, 09:49 PM
Oline is such an important position. How much could Jomo really have known about Johnson when he hired him? 2 year career is not much to go on. Is there any way we hire him if he's not from MS?

Don't know but I questioned this hire more than any other and not because he's from OM. Because the his experience level was so low. I didn't like that for the Oline at all.

HoopsDawg
09-30-2018, 10:02 PM
Don't know but I questioned this hire more than any other and not because he's from OM. Because the his experience level was so low. I didn't like that for the Oline at all.

And cutcliff has had that system in place for a long time now at Duke.

BuckyIsAB****
09-30-2018, 10:04 PM
Good point. I've thought of this as well and it may be an issue.

Perhaps Getsy needs to call plays and Moorhead just OK them.

Perhaps he's out of his element down on the field. That doesn't explain why apparently he was a great play caller at Fordham though.

He was on the field at Penn St.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2018, 10:07 PM
He was on the field at Penn St.

Ok. We'll throw that theory out.

Maybe the Penn state OL coach was just that much better

yjnkdawg
10-01-2018, 12:58 AM
Ok. We'll throw that theory out.

Maybe the Penn state OL coach was just that much better

A head coach who either makes the offensive calls, or defensive calls needs to be on the sidelines. They normally have an assistant coach spotting in the booth

Pit Bull
10-01-2018, 01:54 AM

Yeah......so was Bob Tyler***

West Tn Dawg
10-01-2018, 09:53 AM
I think the biggest reason is snapping at the end of the clock on every play. When the clock gets down to 5 seconds or less, it's easy for the D to get the jump. They are no longer guessing when the snap is going to occur.