PDA

View Full Version : My very educated opinion of Mullen****

Alphadog
09-30-2018, 04:35 PM
17 him.
I admit that he did some great things here, and yes, this is the opinion of someone who has been spoiled by our recent success. With that being said, Mullen was not winning a SEC championship with this MSU team this year. He couldn't beat Bama with Dak, Bear, and Jrob. He sure as hell isn't beating them with Nick, Aries/Kylin, and whatever WR you want to enter here. In 9 year he proved that he can win some games but he couldn't beat Saban and that wasn't going to change this year or any year in the future with his style of offense with the caliber of player that he recruited.

Half of me is in the camp that says that State must be a run first team. But then I think of Freeze beating Bama a few years back and how he did it and I'm jealous of that. There is no reason why we can't have that type of WR. Hell, they're starting a kid from Starkville and a kid from Oxford. So yes, those receivers are available in MS and we need to have an offensive system in place to attract those type of players.

I enjoyed the 7-8 wins per year run but I'm 40 years old now and I'm ready to take the next step while I'm still in good enough health to get to see it. So I was glad to see Dan go and ready to shoot for the moon with a different style of offense. Now, obviously, what we are seeing now is not going to get it done. And who knows it Moorhead will be the guy to do it, but I'm glad we took a chance. And this does not work out, I hope we take another chance to reach the next level.

Of course, a few more losses and my whole mindset will change and i will want to go back pounding the foot ball and getting to a bowl.

AROB44
09-30-2018, 05:01 PM
Please enlighten me as to who has beaten Saban.....yes I know OM did it twice, but who else? And when he leaves, Bama will still be Bama.

Alphadog
09-30-2018, 05:08 PM
Please enlighten me as to who has beaten Saban.....yes I know OM did it twice, but who else? And when he leaves, Bama will still be Bama.

Not many have. That's my point. It seems that Freeze had as good of a blue print as anyone to do it as anyone and that blue print was not in the same universe as what Mullen liked to do. I am in no way saying that Moorhead is the answer. What I am saying is if we want to beat Bama, we needed to go in a different direction than the direction Mullen wanted to go. If Moorhead fails, I hope we still go in a direction that is more receiver friendly.

Of course, a few more losses and I'll completely change my opinion of that

AROB44
09-30-2018, 05:19 PM
Can't disagree....but we will need an exceptional QB as well.

Alphadog
09-30-2018, 05:26 PM
Can't disagree....but we will need an exceptional QB as well.

I would agree that Kelly was an exceptional QB but Beautiful Bo was not. I'm too lazy to look it up and see if they actually beat Bama with Bo at QB but it seems like they did.
I honestly don't think there is a QB on the roster right now that can throw it well enough to challenge a decent team with the pass and I KNOW we don't have the receivers to do it. I hope the QB committed is legit and maybe we can swing some receivers our way somewhere along the way.

I just think the future of the game is more of what Freeze was doing than what Dan is doing and I don't want to be the team stuck in the past rather than leading the charge into the future.

Pit Bull
09-30-2018, 05:32 PM
Mullen will be in Hotlanta for the SECCG and the National playoffs within 5 years or less.

Alphadog
09-30-2018, 05:57 PM
Mullen will be in Hotlanta for the SECCG and the National playoffs within 5 years or less.

You may be correct. But if he is meeting Saban in Atlanta I know who I would put my money on. Look, I think Mullen is a good coach. I don't think his system will ever beat Bama as long as Saban is bringing in the talent that he is currently bringing in. I just don't see anyone lining up and beating them by running the ball (even though we were damn close last year.). And the more I see Nick play, I don't know that I buy into the QB whisperer persona of Mullen. I'm not real sure Nick has progressed that much as a true QB. He is still a good athlete, but he still is not a good/great QB. And he wasn't one last year under Mullen. Say what you will but we were completely blown out is a few games last year against teams that we should have been able to at least compete with. And I never got the feeling with Nick that he was going to do something to win a game for us like Dak would do. Look Fitz is a good QB for what he is but I just never thought that he was the guy that was going to get us to the next level. It has to suck to be the guy after Dak. I get that. And Nick has probably gotten as much out of his talent as he can get. But he was not the guy to beat UGA, Aub, or UA. It takes a special type of player to do that. I don't know if we have a QB on the roster that is type of player. We may not. Key looked good in the few games he has played but we don't get to see practice everyday to see if he has it or not.

I'm drinking on a Sunday so bare with me.

I see Clemson do what they did a couple of years ago and it comes down to a special QB. We don't have that on the field right now. To beat Bama, you have to have that. QB doesn't have to be a NFL QB but he has to be a special college QB. Believe it or not, Chad Kelley, was a special QB in my opinion. Or at least he played in a system that made him look special. (no jokes about him looking "special")

Jack Lambert
09-30-2018, 05:57 PM

Auburn beat them in 2013 and 2017. I think Gus became coach in 2012.

dawgday166
09-30-2018, 05:58 PM
Gus became coach in 2013.

Jack Lambert
09-30-2018, 06:01 PM
Gus became coach in 2013.

Gen was fired in 2012 and Auburn hired Gus. So Gus was coach in both 2013 and 2017.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 06:01 PM

Strong chance of that.

Alphadog
09-30-2018, 06:06 PM
Strong chance of that.

Serious question,

Do you guys think the offense that Dan ran with Tebow in Florida is a think of the past or can still win? Now given, that Gator team was loaded with NFL talent but I just wonder if the big game can still be won with a QB with very limited passing ability. Of course, defenses are always playing catch up to the ever evolving offenses but I just feel, unless you have a loaded team, you better be able to spread it out and toss it around the yard.

dawgday166
09-30-2018, 06:20 PM
Gen was fired in 2012 and Auburn hired Gus. So Gus was coach in both 2013 and 2017.

2013 was Gus' first HC year at AU. Gus was coach in both 2013 & 2017. OC in 2010 when they beat Bama.

DownwardDawg
09-30-2018, 06:37 PM

He’ll never beat Georgia.

Pit Bull
09-30-2018, 07:22 PM

Croom did.....and it doesn't even matter what kind of team BAMA had then.....They ALWAYS have quality athletes. To go into Tuscaloosa against their worst team EVER and win would be pretty good in my book. So, I do give Croom that.

Pit Bull
09-30-2018, 07:23 PM
He’ll never beat Georgia.

Know a lot of folk who lost a lot of money saying "Never".

Barkman Turner Overdrive
10-01-2018, 05:19 PM
Zero chance of that.

FIFY

Barkman Turner Overdrive
10-01-2018, 05:21 PM
If someone buys him tickets to the games, Mullen will be in Hotlanta for the SECCG and the National playoffs within 5 years or less.

FIFY

Dawg61
10-01-2018, 05:58 PM

No no he won't.

msbulldog
10-01-2018, 06:47 PM
I would agree that Kelly was an exceptional QB but Beautiful Bo was not. I'm too lazy to look it up and see if they actually beat Bama with Bo at QB but it seems like they did.
I honestly don't think there is a QB on the roster right now that can throw it well enough to challenge a decent team with the pass and I KNOW we don't have the receivers to do it. I hope the QB committed is legit and maybe we can swing some receivers our way somewhere along the way.

I just think the future of the game is more of what Freeze was doing than what Dan is doing and I don't want to be the team stuck in the past rather than leading the charge into the future.

Key and Whop hooked up for some serious passing yardage in HS.

I seen it dawg
10-02-2018, 04:08 PM
No he won't. There is a little problem in Athens he will always have to deal with.

parabrave
10-02-2018, 04:17 PM
Key and Whop hooked up for some serious passing yardage in HS.

I followed them during their senior year. They were all that the LA sports talked about. After their HS won the state Championship KTs senior year you could see O on the field begging KT to go to LSU. The kid is a winner and has proven that he can run a offense.

Tbonewannabe
10-02-2018, 04:23 PM
17 him.
I admit that he did some great things here, and yes, this is the opinion of someone who has been spoiled by our recent success. With that being said, Mullen was not winning a SEC championship with this MSU team this year. He couldn't beat Bama with Dak, Bear, and Jrob. He sure as hell isn't beating them with Nick, Aries/Kylin, and whatever WR you want to enter here. In 9 year he proved that he can win some games but he couldn't beat Saban and that wasn't going to change this year or any year in the future with his style of offense with the caliber of player that he recruited.

Half of me is in the camp that says that State must be a run first team. But then I think of Freeze beating Bama a few years back and how he did it and I'm jealous of that. There is no reason why we can't have that type of WR. Hell, they're starting a kid from Starkville and a kid from Oxford. So yes, those receivers are available in MS and we need to have an offensive system in place to attract those type of players.

I enjoyed the 7-8 wins per year run but I'm 40 years old now and I'm ready to take the next step while I'm still in good enough health to get to see it. So I was glad to see Dan go and ready to shoot for the moon with a different style of offense. Now, obviously, what we are seeing now is not going to get it done. And who knows it Moorhead will be the guy to do it, but I'm glad we took a chance. And this does not work out, I hope we take another chance to reach the next level.

Of course, a few more losses and my whole mindset will change and i will want to go back pounding the foot ball and getting to a bowl.

I like the idea of JoMo's offense. It takes explosive plays to beat Bama. Mullen's offense is grinding yards which isn't going to work against great defenses. When you have to get 10-14 plays consecutively to score TDs, Bama and UGA don't give up that many plays in a row. If you can manage to score in 4-8 plays then you have a chance.

Tbonewannabe
10-02-2018, 04:26 PM

If his recruiting somehow becomes top 5-10 then maybe. We are about to see if UF can really recruit itself. I will be surprised if Mullen doesn't have his annual shit the bed game every year in Jacksonville since UGA is built like Bama. Mullen has typically lost games unless he has the talent advantage. You might can occasionally find enough diamonds in the rough to compete against good SEC teams but not against Bama and UGA who are always going to be top 5 talent.

NCDawg
10-03-2018, 12:31 AM

He has to get by Georgia first, which I'm not sure he can do. As far us, I don't see any hope for us getting to Atlanta for a long time. We were lucky getting there in '98, but we did and it was a great experience. Tremendous atmosphere.

Dawg61
10-03-2018, 02:08 AM
Mullen is gonna struggle with Kentucky, LSU and Missouri. He won't beat Georgia once and FSU isn't gonna suck forever. Nor will Tennessee. 8/9 wins is gonna be common ground in Gainesville. He'll do enough not to get fired but eventually they'll get sick of him and run him off somehow.

BrunswickDawg
10-03-2018, 07:38 AM
Mullen is gonna struggle with Kentucky, LSU and Missouri. He won't beat Georgia once and FSU isn't gonna suck forever. Nor will Tennessee. 8/9 wins is gonna be common ground in Gainesville. He'll do enough not to get fired but eventually they'll get sick of him and run him off somehow.

Yeah, Missouri will be a game to watch for Mullen. Their offense is built around passing kind of like Ole Miss. I can see them blowing up on UF like OM did on us. Having LSU as permanent West opponent doesn't help either.

smootness
10-03-2018, 07:55 AM
If you think Moorhead is taking us past the 7-8 win level, you're insane.

Liverpooldawg
10-03-2018, 08:38 AM
Florida won't suck forever either, they are Florida and they just hired a good football coach. They made the best hire of anyone other than maybe A&M.

smootness
10-03-2018, 08:49 AM

He didn't struggle with Kentucky here, and you think he will at Florida?

tcdog70
10-03-2018, 09:33 AM
what was the Freeze plan?--5 turnovers and bounce a TD pass off a helmet?

smootness
10-03-2018, 09:40 AM
what was the Freeze plan?--5 turnovers and bounce a TD pass off a helmet?

Yeah, their '14 win was a great win. Their '15 win was more luck.

StateDawg44
10-03-2018, 09:46 AM
Man..... so many still just can't get Mullen out of their domes.

Who cares what you think of him now? He gone. It's like still being butt hurt over a gf leaving you well over 6 months after the fact. You're the only one who looks dumb by holding on and still complaining or trying to justify reasons after it's been that long.

Nothing in this thread is a fresh take at all. Why keep beating this dead horse and not just turn the corner with it?

parabrave
10-03-2018, 09:48 AM
Yeah, their '14 win was a great win. Their '15 win was more luck.

Their 14 win was because Lane Kiffen got a case of dumbass in the 3rd qtr about to score TD 3 running the ball down their throat he abandons the run and start passing.