PDA

View Full Version : ?If you fire him after one year, nobody would take the job? - BS

Dawgs31
09-30-2018, 04:30 PM
Can we put this to bed right now? 3 million a year and a SEC HC gig will always have the line out the door.

Dawg61
09-30-2018, 04:31 PM
We aren't firing him after one year so what's the point.

Dawgfan77
09-30-2018, 04:36 PM
Can we put this to bed right now? 3 million a year and a SEC HC gig will always have the line out the door.

Yup. But nobody seems to agree with us.

yjnkdawg
09-30-2018, 04:36 PM

It ain't happening, but if it did, we wouldn't be able to attract anybody that Cohen, or you or me would want to be our head coach.

Dawgs31
09-30-2018, 04:44 PM

3-9, go to the unemployment line
4-8, you’ll never be great
5-7, choose a new profession
6-6, next year better be fixed
7-5, safely alive

Todd4State
09-30-2018, 04:44 PM
Yup. But nobody seems to agree with us.

It would be surprising. Barring a Cannizaro type scandal.

Todd4State
09-30-2018, 04:45 PM
It ain't happening, but if it did, we wouldn't be able to attract anybody that Cohen, or you or me would want to be our head coach.

At worst Hud would take it.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-30-2018, 04:46 PM

Not a single SEC level HC would jump for 3m. You'd have to grab a random unproven new G5 coach/not cream of the crop P5 coordinator. Top P5 coordinators and top G5 coaches can get 3m anywhere. Aranda and Neil Brown, for instance, could get 3M from a P5 school like it's nothing. And if our top choices are looking at 3m at State, or 3m at a different school, they'll pick the one that doesn't have to play 4 top 15 recruiters every year, and the one that will give them more than 1 year to win.

You'd have 1,000 applications, none of which would have much of a resume or hints they'd be good HCs. The next Saban may be in there but it's an absolute crapshoot, highly unlikely we come out with a good enough hire to keep the program from deteriorating.

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-30-2018, 04:46 PM

But you don't understand. We are Mississippi State. And we are distinctly special in how we can opperate because of reasons I can't tell you.

msstate7
09-30-2018, 04:48 PM

Neal Brown would take it, and he'd be a massive upgrade

Todd4State
09-30-2018, 04:48 PM
Not a single SEC level HC would jump for 3m. You'd have to grab a random unproven new G5 coach/not cream of the crop P5 coordinator. Top P5 coordinators and top G5 coaches can get 3m anywhere. Aranda and Neil Brown, for instance, could get 3M from a P5 school like it's nothing. And if our top choices are looking at 3m at State, or 3m at a different school, they'll pick the one that doesn't have to play 4 top 15 recruiters every year, and the one that will give them more than 1 year to win.

You'd have 1,000 applications, none of which would have much of a resume or hints they'd be good HCs. The next Saban may be in there but it's an absolute crapshoot, highly unlikely we come out with a good enough hire to keep the program from deteriorating.

The silver lining there is we have proven that we will go at least as high as 6 million to someone that is qualified.

Maroonthirteen
09-30-2018, 04:50 PM

Bullshit. We had a coach 9 years and he left the cupboard semi stocked. Not many people wanted it then.

Dawg61
09-30-2018, 04:51 PM
3-9, go to the unemployment line
4-8, you’ll never be great
5-7, choose a new profession
6-6, next year better be fixed
7-5, safely alive

He doesn't have 5 losses yet.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-30-2018, 04:54 PM
At worst Hud would take it.

Why do people act like Hudd is a decent fall back plan? Maybe as an interim he'd be a fine in game coach, but as the full time HC he'd be bad. Dude is a failed G5 coach, and yet people here haven't adjusted their 5 year old opinions on Hudd to the new facts.

The fact is Hudd is not a better hire than Joey Jones would be. If Hudd hadn't been here before this year we'd view him as we do JJ, namely, by the resume.

"At worst Hudd would take it" = "at worst we get a failed G5 coach that's not even an X's and O's guy". That's pretty bad.

Todd4State
09-30-2018, 04:56 PM
Why do people act like Hudd is a decent fall back plan? Maybe as an interim he'd be a fine in game coach, but as the full time HC he'd be bad. Dude is a failed G5 coach, and yet people here haven't adjusted their 5 year old opinions on Hudd to the new facts.

The fact is Hudd is not a better hire than Joey Jones would be. If Hudd hadn't been here before this year we'd view him as we do JJ, namely, by the resume.

"At worst Hudd would take it" = "at worst we get a failed G5 coach that's not even an X's and O's guy". That's pretty bad.

Hud is the floor in this situation. And not a bad floor.

msstate7
09-30-2018, 04:57 PM

Hud is better than Moorhead. Don't want either though

TrapGame
09-30-2018, 04:58 PM
The only way Joe remotely gets canned is if we go 3-9 losing to a far lesser talented La Tech, a god awful Ark and a defensively retarded OM. To me I think a semi-plausible case can be made. But, I doubt we fire Joe after a year. Now, next year, if he's still clueless and the offense is sputtering around like a 1982 Toyota and it's a 4-8/5-7 season, he's gone.

Dawgfan77
09-30-2018, 04:59 PM
Bullshit. We had a coach 9 years and he left the cupboard semi stocked. Not many people wanted it then.
That is wrong.
Cohn wanted to be the smartest guy in the room. It was a leap of faith with joe.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-30-2018, 05:02 PM
Neal Brown would take it, and he'd be a massive upgrade

I'm a big fan of him. I was shocked nobody took him last year after his 2nd 10 win season.

However, the fact he didn't have options last year doesn't mean we're ht only game in town this year. And is he gets a decent P5 offer this year that isn't us, why would he pick the one broke the precedent every school in the country follows by firing a coach after 1 year?

Guys, remember that LSU lost to Troy last year after being blown out by us. Every LSu forum was melting as bad as we are. They didn't fire him and now are pretty good. Game 5 results are not proof of long term failure. I know I'll get roasted and I can't find any positives about Moorhead either, but it is possible giving him a year 2 will work out.

msstate7
09-30-2018, 05:06 PM
I'm a big fan of him. I was shocked nobody took him last year after his 2nd 10 win season.

However, the fact he didn't have options last year doesn't mean we're ht only game in town this year. And is he gets a decent P5 offer this year that isn't us, why would he pick the one broke the precedent every school in the country follows by firing a coach after 1 year?

Guys, remember that LSU lost to Troy last year after being blown out by us. Every LSu forum was melting as bad as we are. They didn't fire him and now are pretty good. Game 5 results are not proof of long term failure. I know I'll get roasted and I can't find any positives about Moorhead either, but it is possible giving him a year 2 will work out.

LSU turned it around last year. They ended up winning 9 games

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-30-2018, 05:15 PM
LSU turned it around last year. They ended up winning 9 games

And they started 3-2 with losses to us and Troy. And dang near dropped the Syracuse game.

msstate7
09-30-2018, 05:16 PM
And they started 3-2 with losses to us and Troy. And dang near dropped the Syracuse game.

You thinking we turn it around this year?

bluelightstar
09-30-2018, 05:17 PM
can't wait to see who we hire after going 4-8 and 3-9

msstate7
09-30-2018, 05:20 PM
can't wait to see who we hire after going 4-8 and 3-9

How about Indiana's DC or Wisconsin's RB coach?

Pit Bull
09-30-2018, 05:26 PM

I said this for the baseball team too and it may come back to haunt us still. We really have no more info. that Lemonis will do any better with the baseball program than Henderson did. Letting Henderson go abrubtly after 2 years with him taking us almost to the Championship round sent a message to other future good baseball coaches to make them leary of the MSU job......could be why we only had Lemonis left wanting it. Dont know for sure. I do know this......I saw Hendoo with a lot more fire in his belly than Moorhead.

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-30-2018, 06:01 PM
You thinking we turn it around this year?

Certainly not to 9-3. That would require us winning in Tuscaloosa or Baton Rouge.

Here's what I think of Moorhead though. The guy was universally acclaimed by the college football world as an offensive guru. You don't get the level of praise he got and either a) be a phony or b) suddenly forget everything. I'm afraid that what they meant was "he has a brilliant offensive system" and we took it as "he's going to be highly successful with any personnel and can adapt to anything." Which means I think he can be successful if given a few years and if he's capable of recruiting the players he needs for his system. I think that Fitz is a poor fit in his offense, and I think that years of poor OL and WR recruiting is coming back to bite us. To make up for his inability to recruit talent at OL, Mullen had to get guys that were pretty much specialized to his system and our WRs flat out suck aside from Guidry (who still has more than a few drops this season). I'm disappointed that Moorhead is unwilling or unable to adjust more to Mullen's system, but whether or not he does get enough time to do what he wants is dependent on him figuring out how to adjust for this year, then either molding Key or Mayden into what he wants in a QB or praying that Schrader is ready to roll as a true freshmen. And again, actually being able to recruit the players he needs.

I don't think our pseudo-sociologists are correct in saying "southern kids just need to be yelled and cussed at more than them northern folk" and I sure as hell don't think there is a scenario where we should fire him this season aside from unforeseen scandal or maybe if we were to not win another game this season.

Really Clark?
09-30-2018, 06:02 PM
Vandy fired Caldwell after his one 2-10 season and hired James Franklin. Franklin was an OC and considered an up and comer and good recruiter but not on the same level as Moorehead was thought of. And Franklin was about to be looking for a job since the Maryland HC was fired that season.

A right hire has to be a fit for the program and both sides buy in to the program and the HC for him to be successful

DownwardDawg
09-30-2018, 06:09 PM

Not understanding this. He?s the best coach in the history of ULL?s program. I know it?s ULL, but just saying.

DownwardDawg
09-30-2018, 06:11 PM
Lane Kiffin would walk to Starkville for $3 million a year. He’d leave in a few years, but he wouldn’t turn it down.

Captain Falcon
09-30-2018, 06:14 PM
Vandy fired Caldwell after his one 2-10 season and hired James Franklin. Franklin was an OC and considered an up and comer and good recruiter but not on the same level as Moorehead was thought of. And Franklin was about to be looking for a job since the Maryland HC was fired that season.

A right hire has to be a fit for the program and both sides buy in to the program and the HC for him to be successful

Robbie Caldwell was an interim coach. Bobby Johnson retired in mid July before the season started. Not exactly the same situation.

Really Clark?
09-30-2018, 06:17 PM
Not understanding this. He?s the best coach in the history of ULL?s program. I know it?s ULL, but just saying.

The issue is that after the NCAA crushed the Saunders connection (which Hud knew exactly what he was getting with Saunders and turned a blind eye) the team took a quick and decisive downturn. He has to rehab his career and move back up through the ranks before getting a shot again.

Really Clark?
09-30-2018, 06:19 PM
Robbie Caldwell was an interim coach. Bobby Johnson retired in mid July before the season started. Not exactly the same situation.

Right but the closest in recent memory of a coach just lasting one year and being fired. I wasn’t saying we necessarily should fire a HC after just one season, just thinking of an example where it actually happened. And it’s semantics but the interim tagged was dropped prior to the season and he was given an extension

DownwardDawg
09-30-2018, 06:33 PM
Maybe Moorehead will turn this around with his passing QB next season. I just hate we are “rebuilding “ again. This shoulda been a great year but obviously these players don’t fit his system n

Dawgs87
09-30-2018, 06:44 PM
I said this for the baseball team too and it may come back to haunt us still. We really have no more info. that Lemonis will do any better with the baseball program than Henderson did. Letting Henderson go abrubtly after 2 years with him taking us almost to the Championship round sent a message to other future good baseball coaches to make them leary of the MSU job......could be why we only had Lemonis left wanting it. Dont know for sure. I do know this......I saw Hendoo with a lot more fire in his belly than Moorhead.

I can't even imagine doing something that foolish. Gary takes over after the season has started in turmoil and goes to the freaking CWS. We reward him by letting him go. That's my cue that IB might not have any clue wtf he's doing. Exactly how many times did IB take any team to Omaha? Oh, the same exact number of times as Gary. What a joke. No, no. Let's hire the guy who's best finish is T-3rd in the B1G and never made it out of a regional.

Great decision making right there.Is this real life?

The bears kept Matt Luke after a 6-6 year. Not saying they had better options, but the point still stands. Is Lemonis objectively a better option? And what objective evidence could possibly lead you to this conclusion?

Dawgfan77
09-30-2018, 06:57 PM
They prob had over 200 yds of offense in each loss.

Randolph Dupree
09-30-2018, 08:49 PM
I can't even imagine doing something that foolish. Gary takes over after the season has started in turmoil and goes to the freaking CWS. We reward him by letting him go. That's my cue that IB might not have any clue wtf he's doing. Exactly how many times did IB take any team to Omaha? Oh, the same exact number of times as Gary. What a joke. No, no. Let's hire the guy who's best finish is T-3rd in the B1G and never made it out of a regional.

Great decision making right there.Is this real life?

The bears kept Matt Luke after a 6-6 year. Not saying they had better options, but the point still stands. Is Lemonis objectively a better option? And what objective evidence could possibly lead you to this conclusion?

Lotta baseball jobs got filled this year. Where is Hendo coaching? Hmm...didn't even get on as an assistant anywhere...interesting that nobody else wanted him either.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2018, 09:03 PM
Maybe Moorehead will turn this around with his passing QB next season. I just hate we are “rebuilding “ again. This shoulda been a great year but obviously these players don’t fit his system n

In all of MSU's football years, have we ever gotten better when throwing more?

BuckyIsAB****
09-30-2018, 09:41 PM
In all of MSU's football years, have we ever gotten better when throwing more?

No. So stop trying. Be who we are.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2018, 09:43 PM
No. So stop trying. Be who we are.

I agree. Even if that means we lose to Bama every year, it's what we can recruit year in and year out. It makes us competitive and gives us a chance.

Jack Lambert
09-30-2018, 09:46 PM

I have no way given up. Too much football left to be played.

Dawgfan77
10-01-2018, 06:30 AM
I have no way given up. Too much football left to be played.

Honest question what in 5 games gives you any confidence he can turn it around? The guy can?t even make in game and half time adjustments. He looks like a deer in the headlights.
Saturday night I had no confidence at kickoff. On the third play Guidry clearly drops a pass and joe goes ballistic on the refs. It was clear he dropped the ball yet joe is trying to argue a drop. Smdh. The guy has no clue what he is doing

AROB44
10-01-2018, 08:31 AM

Yea....but who is in that line? That's what counts.

munk_munk92
10-01-2018, 09:12 AM
I agree with this. Nobody is passing up millions of dollars.

I seen it dawg
10-01-2018, 10:10 AM
Certainly not to 9-3. That would require us winning in Tuscaloosa or Baton Rouge.

Here's what I think of Moorhead though. The guy was universally acclaimed by the college football world as an offensive guru. You don't get the level of praise he got and either a) be a phony or b) suddenly forget everything. I'm afraid that what they meant was "he has a brilliant offensive system" and we took it as "he's going to be highly successful with any personnel and can adapt to anything." Which means I think he can be successful if given a few years and if he's capable of recruiting the players he needs for his system. I think that Fitz is a poor fit in his offense, and I think that years of poor OL and WR recruiting is coming back to bite us. To make up for his inability to recruit talent at OL, Mullen had to get guys that were pretty much specialized to his system and our WRs flat out suck aside from Guidry (who still has more than a few drops this season). I'm disappointed that Moorhead is unwilling or unable to adjust more to Mullen's system, but whether or not he does get enough time to do what he wants is dependent on him figuring out how to adjust for this year, then either molding Key or Mayden into what he wants in a QB or praying that Schrader is ready to roll as a true freshmen. And again, actually being able to recruit the players he needs.

I don't think our pseudo-sociologists are correct in saying "southern kids just need to be yelled and cussed at more than them northern folk" and I sure as hell don't think there is a scenario where we should fire him this season aside from unforeseen scandal or maybe if we were to not win another game this season.

Whole lot of correct here....one thing i will say though is I would rather rip the bandaid off and make it his system and program if that's the issue. Do not adapt to Mullen's system with guys Mullen got here for his system just to win a few more games THiS year. Rip the band aid off and make the guys here get with the program. Recruit your guys and start to improve it.

Taking a deep hard look at our roster and what was left by the previous staff should make you question how many players we really do have and the ones that are here where did they really come from...and before some of the ledge standers flame the hell out of it...I'm not happy with things and there are things we need to do different BUT..the guy may be pounding a square nail into a round hole because by god we are gonna change the program to what I Want it and get my system players in here..and that I am ok with. As painful as it is today.

Too many college football guys that actually work in college football, not just media douches, hold this guy in high regard. I'm not firing him yet.

Liverpooldawg
10-01-2018, 10:16 AM

Oh somebody would take it, and there is the trouble.

Johnson85
10-01-2018, 10:17 AM

Bullshit. We got one of the most highly thought of Power 5 coordinators. We had plenty of options. If you want to say we could pull a proven Power 5 Head coach or the hottest G5 head coach, then no, we couldn't do that, but the search was less than a year ago and we locked down one of our top choices pretty early.

We'er not firing Moorhead after this year, so it's irrelevant, but I'm not sure it would hurt us that much. We had a team ready to win this year, and which won last year, and we've gotten worse in every phase of the game, despite having basically the same players. A new coach would be walking into a rebuilding job and we have a history of giving people time. It'd certainly make us a less desirable stop; but I'm not sure it'd be less desirable than we'll be after letting us flounder for a few years. If we are able to recruit ok, then we'll be as fine as any non-blueblood is when they make a bad coaching hire. IF we don't recruit ok, we will be in deep shit, and won't have a good option going forward.

smootness
10-01-2018, 10:56 AM
He doesn't have 5 losses yet.

He will.

Pit Bull
10-02-2018, 01:45 PM

Yeah....but what will you have standing in that line?

Pit Bull
10-02-2018, 01:47 PM
I agree with this. Nobody is passing up millions of dollars.

Then I'll throw my hat in the ring! Never coached before, but well.....you know.