PDA

View Full Version : Just think

Dawgology
09-30-2018, 01:49 PM
We pony 6 million for Mullen and we are 5-0, top 10, in the hunt for SEC champ. Funny how money equals success. Have to pay to play.

Oh well.

msstate7
09-30-2018, 01:50 PM
I think Mullen was gone regardless. We just screwed up picking Moorhead

MetEdDawg
09-30-2018, 01:50 PM
We pony 6 million for Mullen and we are 5-0, top 10, in the hunt for SEC champ. Funny how money equals success. Have to pay to play.

Oh well.

But you lose the Egg Bowl and lose to Bama and end up 10-2 again. Then next year we rebuild again and go 7-5 or maybe 8-4

Dawgology
09-30-2018, 01:52 PM
But you lose the Egg Bowl and lose to Bama and end up 10-2 again. Then next year we rebuild again and go 7-5 or maybe 8-4

You're right. 5-7 and no Bowl is much better this year**

msstate7
09-30-2018, 01:58 PM

10-2 would be great. 5-7 is reality

MetEdDawg
09-30-2018, 02:23 PM
10-2 would be great. 5-7 is reality

Possibly. But I think with the right guys Moorhead could increase the potential of this program. By the way we are winning more than 5 games this year. It's gonna be 7-5 most likely.

A lot of us can't see past our noses. 10 wins this year is great. But in the end we will still be pissed because we lost a game we shouldn't. Then we do the same crap all over again where we build and hope in another 3-4 years we might compete again.

How often did you ever hear of anyone of Pickering's caliber defending a team publicly he's committed to. Moorhead has got them behind him. His guys in recruiting are backing him. I find that very interesting.

msstate7
09-30-2018, 02:25 PM
Possibly. But I think with the right guys Moorhead could increase the potential of this program. By the way we are winning more than 5 games this year. It's gonna be 7-5 most likely.

You probably right. Should've been a 10-win season though, and we rarely get those

MetEdDawg
09-30-2018, 02:29 PM
You probably right. Should've been a 10-win season though, and we rarely get those

Totally agree. But I think the majority of us realize that Mullen was never taking us to an SEC West title. Everything would have to go perfectly. No mess ups, no mistakes, and player development would have to sync exactly the right year with all that.

In order to build that we are going to have to undo some stuff and rebuild it. It's not easy but there will be some backwards before we get some forwards. This season is unfortunately the sacrificial lamb that came about with Mullen leaving.

maroonmania
09-30-2018, 02:29 PM

Oh well.

Come on people, Cohen has stated on record that Mullen told him he was leaving roughly halfway through last football season. Do you think Mullen was going to change his mind and stay at MSU for roughly the same money he could get at Florida? Think again. Probably would not have stayed for 7 million. Mullen had been trying to get to an "elite" level program since Dak's senior year. He was GONE people if he at all had the opportunity. Mullen never had any intention of making his entire career at MSU. Our mistake looks to be in who we hired to replace him.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 03:21 PM

A lot of us can't see past our noses. 10 wins this year is great. But in the end we will still be pissed because we lost a game we shouldn't. Then we do the same crap all over again where we build and hope in another 3-4 years we might compete again.

How often did you ever hear of anyone of Pickering's caliber defending a team publicly he's committed to. Moorhead has got them behind him. His guys in recruiting are backing him. I find that very interesting.

We ain't getting to 7 unless things improve. we MIGHT beat Arkansas and La Tech. That's all I see right now.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 03:23 PM
Come on people, Cohen has stated on record that Mullen told him he was leaving roughly halfway through last football season. Do you think Mullen was going to change his mind and stay at MSU for roughly the same money he could get a Florida? Think again. Probably would not have stayed for 7 million. Mullen had been trying to get to an "elite" level program since Dak's senior year. He was GONE people if he at all had the opportunity. Mullen never had any intention of making his entire career at MSU. Our mistake looks to be in who we hired to replace him.

That's not what Cohen has said. He said he had a feeling Mullen was leaving halfway through the season. He has never said that Mullen told him so. We had too many people that wanted Mullen gone for him to stay. Few wanted to fire him, but many wanted him to leave. He left. Be careful what you wish for.

Dawgfan77
09-30-2018, 03:24 PM
We ain't getting to 7 unless things improve. we MIGHT beat Arkansas and La Tech. That's all I see right now.
We struggled to put up 200 yds against average defenses and y?all think we are win 7 games. Holy shit!!!! Folks we will be lucky to win one out is the la tech, ark, OM games.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 03:29 PM
Totally agree. But I think the majority of us realize that Mullen was never taking us to an SEC West title. Everything would have to go perfectly. No mess ups, no mistakes, and player development would have to sync exactly the right year with all that.

In order to build that we are going to have to undo some stuff and rebuild it. It's not easy but there will be some backwards before we get some forwards. This season is unfortunately the sacrificial lamb that came about with Mullen leaving.

Exactly.....and it will always be that way. It is for everyone who isn't Coached by Nick Saban at the moment. Heck he didn't win it last year either. Mullen had close in the toughest SEC ever. JWS won it with an 8-5/6-2 team. That ain't happening these days.

Todd4State
09-30-2018, 03:56 PM
That's not what Cohen has said. He said he had a feeling Mullen was leaving halfway through the season. He has never said that Mullen told him so. We had too many people that wanted Mullen gone for him to stay. Few wanted to fire him, but many wanted him to leave. He left. Be careful what you wish for.

When Cohen offered him a 6 million dollar extension after A&M and Dan didn't take it- that's pretty much the writing on the wall.

And literally the only smart thing Cohen has done as AD so far.

And as far as the people that "wanted Dan gone"- speaking for myself- Dan wanted to leave first before I wanted him gone. And most of us only wanted Dan gone because we realized he didn't want to be here.

Bothrops
09-30-2018, 03:58 PM
We pony 6 million for Mullen and we are 5-0, top 10, in the hunt for SEC

Nah man. This wasn't about money but opportunity.

dawgday166
09-30-2018, 03:58 PM
We should've had a 12 win season in '14 and a 10 win season last year too. I've stated repeatedly that Mullen is a very good coach when he wants to be. He didn't always want to be here at State.

Y'all are having some selective memories wrt Mullen. He had some pretty low/bad moments too. Does anyone remember the 2013 Ok St. game to start the season? The 2016 USA game to start the season? He had to learn some things too.
Would we be 5-0 with him this year ... most likely.

Is Mullen elite? Not yet and I'm not sure he'll get there. He always has at least 1 or 2 WTF losses every year, his game clock management in close games still sucks as shown last night, and he has one or 2 other game management flaws. If Grantham leaves him, he might go into a bigger downturn. Maybe he finally learns not to run his DCs off. And we still have yet to see how consistently he recruits at FL.

He probably is a 9 to 10 win a year coach at FL. 11 on a good year. He does have a built in home game with Ga every year which might help him some too. Maybe he will get over the hump and play Bama for SEC title ... don't know yet. At MSU he is 6 to 9 win coach. There were high fan expectations before the '11 and '12 seasons too ... and look how those turned out.

Mullen ain't here, Moorhead is crapping the bed and has to figure it out over the next year or so. He probably won't, but that's where we are right now. He'll probably get 3 years or so to show what he can do. Mullen had a lot to figure out too as he was acclimating to an HC job. For the most part when he's had a good DC his teams have been good, but his O's are mostly average most of the time. But his teams can play tough at times.

I believe Moorhead has come in here with a relaxed attitude and is not pushing the team near hard enough. To me that's the biggest thing so far I see. And he may have made some not-so-good staff hires. That explains all the problems we have with the personnel we have ... and we have issues on D too. We just ain't seen a well-rounded offensive team that can fully exploit those yet.

Maybe Moorhead will learn, maybe he won't.

ETA: And I didn't want Mullen to leave last year cause I figured it would keep us from the 9 to 10 win or maybe more season this year. I was back on his bandwagon at end of last year. It is very difficult to hire a whole new coaching staff and just keep on, keeping on or improving. It is not just the HC that can be an issue, it is all of the assistants too. All it takes is one bad hire.

Todd4State
09-30-2018, 04:20 PM
We should've had a 12 win season in '14 and a 10 win season last year too. I've stated repeatedly that Mullen is a very good coach when he wants to be. He didn't always want to be here at State.

Y'all are having some selective memories wrt Mullen. He had some pretty low/bad moments too. Does anyone remember the 2013 Ok St. game to start the season? The 2016 USA game to start the season? He had to learn some things too.
Would we be 5-0 with him this year ... most likely.

Is Mullen elite? Not yet and I'm not sure he'll get there. He always has at least 1 or 2 WTF losses every year, his game clock management in close games still sucks as shown last night, and he has one or 2 other game management flaws. If Grantham leaves him, he might go into a bigger downturn. Maybe he finally learns not to run his DCs off. And we still have yet to see how consistently he recruits at FL.

He probably is a 9 to 10 win a year coach at FL. 11 on a good year. He does have a built in home game with Ga every year which might help him some too. Maybe he will get over the hump and play Bama for SEC title ... don't know yet. At MSU he is 6 to 9 win coach. There were high fan expectations before the '11 and '12 seasons too ... and look how those turned out.

Mullen ain't here, Moorhead is crapping the bed and has to figure it out over the next year or so. He probably won't, but that's where we are right now. He'll probably get 3 years or so to show what he can do. Mullen had a lot to figure out too as he was acclimating to an HC job. For the most part when he's had a good DC his teams have been good, but his O's are mostly average most of the time. But his teams can play tough at times.

I believe Moorhead has come in here with a relaxed attitude and is not pushing the team near hard enough. To me that's the biggest thing so far I see. And he may have made some not-so-good staff hires. That explains all the problems we have with the personnel we have ... and we have issues on D too. We just ain't seen a well-rounded offensive team that can fully exploit those yet.

Maybe Moorhead will learn, maybe he won't.

ETA: And I didn't want Mullen to leave last year cause I figured it would keep us from the 9 to 10 win or maybe more season this year. I was back on his bandwagon at end of last year. It is very difficult to hire a whole new coaching staff and just keep on, keeping on or improving. It is not just the HC that can be an issue, it is all of the assistants too. All it takes is one bad hire.

Good post.

Dan staying would be kind of like Ron Polk staying after 1991. We would still be "good" but would also not really progress much past our norm and still have obvious flaws that would hold the program back.

maroonmania
09-30-2018, 06:19 PM

From the recent SI article:

For Cohen, Mullen’s departure was not a surprise. He knew the coach planned to leave the Bulldogs about two months before he actually did. “A series of events unfolded that really led me to believe that Dan wouldn’t be here after that year,” Cohen said this week, though he declined to reveal those events. Oscar Miskelly, a Jackson-based furniture store owner and Mississippi State booster as part of the Bulldog Club, supplies one: “They had discussions and Dan was like, ‘I think I’ve done everything I can here.’ I do think he was distracted in the Egg Bowl.”

That's about as plain as a coach can be in 'coachspeak' that when this season is over I'm out the door. No, Mullen was not going to come out and just SAY flat out he was quitting his current job until he had another job to go to and I didn't mean it that way. But in every way a coach can tell you he is leaving, Mullen did.

maroonmania
09-30-2018, 06:28 PM
When Cohen offered him a 6 million dollar extension after A&M and Dan didn't take it- that's pretty much the writing on the wall.

And literally the only smart thing Cohen has done as AD so far.

And as far as the people that "wanted Dan gone"- speaking for myself- Dan wanted to leave first before I wanted him gone. And most of us only wanted Dan gone because we realized he didn't want to be here.

Bingo, I don't know of anyone who wanted Mullen gone when Mullen was focused on being here. But when he was spending every November trying to find another job and the Egg Bowl effort and our recruiting were all suffering because of it, yes, a good segment of our fanbase was fine with him moving on.

Maridian Dawg
09-30-2018, 10:45 PM
I do think Mullen was gone either way last year. He saw us a a stepping stone. And I don't think he planned on being here 9 years. I think that there were issues between Mullen and Cohen. Cohen wanted unconditional focus and W's in the books. He wanted Mullen to coach 12 games a year instead of 9/10. That still pisses me off. Does Moorhead want to be here. IDK, honestly. I watched him at times during the game and he didn't show a lick of emotion and that pissed me off.

Pit Bull
10-01-2018, 02:14 AM

Oh well.

Dont think we know that for sure unless you've been living in a hermetically sealed mayonnaise jar on the front porch of Funk & Wagnalls and a guy named Karnak from the Far East opens up the jar and asks you. Then......maybe!

Maroonthirteen
10-01-2018, 05:56 AM
I thought Moorhead ?got the memo ? and showed more emotion this game. I watched him Before we ran onto the field pregame. He was as jacked up as you will see him.

msbulldog
10-01-2018, 06:33 AM
Moorhead got into the refs on a bad call in the first half. I distinctly read bull-$hit on his lips.