PDA

View Full Version : Just in from the meeting about DNF... My thoughts:

FFF
10-14-2013, 09:16 PM
1. Thrilled, excited, ecstatic cannot begin to describe how pumped I am Populous and Janet Marie Smith are involved. Scott nailed this part... to be the best, you have to have the best working for you. There's a lot more to a great ballpark than simply what money can build and these guys have the tools to make that a reality.

2. Let's get this out of the way now... people are going to bitch about their lifetime seats. Unfortunately, nothing was said one way or the other about the future of the grandstand. Scott did say if the grandstand was left intact, then the lifetime seats would remain. He all but said if the grandstand goes away, a new seating structure would be implemented. The moderator encouraged people to discuss facilities and not administrative constraints. Sightlines from the bleachers was clearly brought up by several people and was made a point of emphasis.

3. There was some good brainstorming going on. I would guess less than 8 people in attendance have ever sat in the bleachers for a game, but the ones that had were very vocal that they needed to go away. As a matter of fact, no one objected this notion... Cohen himself said it looks awful for a midweek game to have twice the attendance as a Vandy midweek game, but radio/tv announcers would praise vandy for filling seats while at the same time throw us under the bus for having twice the attendance. Cohen spearheaded this thought, but I think everyone there supported the notion that a 10,000 stadium looks bad when 95% of the seats are empty. No solutions were given, however (was a little disappointed in this). I'm glad these issues were brought up.

4. To piggyback off number 3, several people made statements along the lines of making sure we look good on tv. One lady flat out said it looks terrible to see 3 or 4 rows, then a huge concrete wall behind home plate. Let's show off the crowds we have. This makes me optimistic that the planners will seriously look at replacement of the grandstand structure.

5. I really like the notion of a "grand plaza" as you walk into the stadium. No other school in the SEC has the history we do and the names to support that history (not even LSU, UF, OM, or USCe). Lets make this an ENORMOUS selling point of our program and use our baseball stadium to showcase it.

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/56/05/3e/hank-aaron-statue-on.jpg

6. Someone brought up some ideas of an "old time ballpark feel" like scoreboards with lights (see Fenway, Wrigley, or the Phillies' outfield walls as examples). I think it would be downright awesome to have an entire section of the outfield wall dedicated to out of town scores showcased in an old time kind of way. Same with a method to show official scoring since so many people enjoy keeping score. Let's sell this.

http://z.about.com/d/philadelphia/1/0/K/_/1/cbp_013.JPG

7. Everett Kennard said "do not touch LFL." I think it should be restructured in such a way (much like the gridiron club) where some "generic" lounges are offered for rent so that way average fans who aren't privy to the lounge area can experience the lounge. Also, bump up prices significantly. That's administrative, but those are my thoughts.

8. I love the idea of expanding the right field patio and adding concessions or an "outfield club" area for students (much like Turner Field). This could be a badass student section (even adding seats/bleachers below it... make this area accessible to students and really cater this area around them... offer concessions, drinks, food... it doesn't have to be as elaborate as Turner Field, but it could be just as popular).

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/nl/pictures/turn11959.jpg

Overall, no direction was given by the administration, but some good ideas were tossed out there. The more we push our expectations on this project, the more the administration will listen. We, as fans, must set the expectations because baseball is who we are. I have faith in our administration that this project, once underway, will be done well and it will be done right making DNF the absolute best place in the nation to watch college baseball.

Your thoughts?

CadaverDawg
10-14-2013, 09:25 PM
Baseball Stadium wool is a good thing.

Hell of a write up too. Thank you for your breakdown for those of us unable to attend.

bully99
10-14-2013, 09:26 PM
But did anybody get a crick in their neck while attending.

TheRef
10-14-2013, 09:27 PM
But did anybody get a crick in their neck while attending.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/babyISWYDT.gif

smootness
10-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Thanks, FFF. The good news is that Stricklin seems to genuinely want DNF to be the best stadium in the country, and he's hired the right people to make that happen.

FFF
10-14-2013, 09:31 PM
I failed to mention the general consensus among most fans (that I was able to gather) is that the grandstand needs to go away. Between the giant concrete wall behind home plate, the steepness of the steps (an issue for older folks), handicap accessibility, the current state of the concourse, and the sightlines issue (which was brought up several times), the overall consensus I gathered is that it needs to be torn down. The only objections were by a few people who were very vocal about their seats (one lady even said she wants her name back on her seat... REALLY??).

messageboardsuperhero
10-14-2013, 09:33 PM
Thanks for posting, that's good info.

And yes, we need to continue to push that expectations for this are really high. Stricklin seems to have gotten the message.

Political Hack
10-14-2013, 09:33 PM
thanks FFF! Great news on JMS being involved. That's issue #1 to me.

TheRef
10-14-2013, 09:35 PM
And yes, we need to continue to push that expectations for this are really high. Stricklin seems to have gotten the message.

Really high? Oh he's only messing around with the Carnegie Hall of College Baseball with some of the greatest baseball fans in College Baseball. If he messes it up, he will hear it on his way out of Starkville.

messageboardsuperhero
10-14-2013, 09:37 PM
I failed to mention the general consensus among most fans (that I was able to gather) is that the grandstand needs to go away. Between the giant concrete wall behind home plate, the steepness of the steps (an issue for older folks), handicap accessibility, the current state of the concourse, and the sightlines issue (which was brought up several times), the overall consensus I gathered is that it needs to be torn down. The only objections were by a few people who were very vocal about their seats (one lady even said she wants her name back on her seat... REALLY??).

Yeah, some of the lifetime people are going to complain if/when we start over, but I think they'll get over it pretty quickly when they see how much better and closer to the field the seating for a new grandstand would be. Even though they might have "worse" seats priority wise, they'll still probably end up with a closer seat to the field with a better view.

It's good that people are getting the message about a new grandstand though.

bully99
10-14-2013, 09:44 PM
Meanwhile Texas A&M announced today they are installing the largest video board in the SEC at their baseball stadium. One of five largest in college baseball.

smootness
10-14-2013, 09:47 PM
Meanwhile Texas A&M announced today they are installing the largest video board in the SEC at their baseball stadium. One of five largest in college baseball.

I'll be honest, I don't want that at DNF. Turner Field has an absolutely gigantic one, and I don't think it adds anything. Baseball is different; those video boards are phenomenal for football, but it's a different atmosphere in baseball, and there's not a whole lot you can show on those. I just want a great-looking stadium.

Todd4State
10-14-2013, 09:48 PM
1. I'm fired up too. I had heard this a few days ago- and was and am pumped.

2. Agree about getting out of the way. Personally, I can't see the grandstand staying though. I just hope the grandstand people are open minded that they can still have good- and possibly even better seats at the new grandstand. The grandstand people will be mad at first- but I think in the long run, they will be very pleased.

3. Cohen is right. And it was a very good point that I had never thought of. That perspective happens when you coach somewhere like Kentucky.

4. The lady is correct. Her husband is very lucky to have her as well.

5. The plaza is a good idea- the Cardinals, Yankees- all the traditional MLB teams have one. It builds fan pride when they walk in and it is a very good visual recruiting tool- see Will Clark played here.

6. I like that idea as well- we are one of the traditional powers in the SEC. Something retro like that would be good. I would limit it to SEC teams and maybe USM just because there are hundreds of teams and that could be cumbersome- unless you really care about New Mexico/Santa Clara baseball.

7. Everett Kennard has always been very vocal- and sometimes not in a good way. Urban legend has it that he was a key figure in begging Ron Polk to come back in 1991- and that ultimately began to hold us back as a program. I was concerned that he might dominate the meeting- and possibly turn it into something ugly and also turn it from something positive into something negative. I agree with you about the LFL. We can keep it- and we can also make it safer and upgrade it. That is going to mean changing it somewhat, and I know that some LFL will not like that- but the reality is the LFL has been changing since it was started. I'm sure it looks a lot different than it did when my parents were there in the 70's, and it was special then and I think it will continue to be special.

8. We do need a student section, but I'm a little confused about the "as elaborate as Turner Field" comment? Have they added something since I was there last because as far as I can recall it was basic outfield seats?

Will James
10-14-2013, 09:49 PM
I'll be honest, I don't want that at DNF. Turner Field has an absolutely gigantic one, and I don't think it adds anything. Baseball is different; those video boards are phenomenal for football, but it's a different atmosphere in baseball, and there's not a whole lot you can show on those. I just want a great-looking stadium.

Yup

Todd4State
10-14-2013, 09:50 PM

So, there's four non-SEC schools with a larger scoreboard? Do they share a stadium with a MLB team?

FFF
10-14-2013, 09:51 PM

Completely and totally agree with this. You cannot show in-game action on a baseball video board like you can football (only a picture and stats). Hell Wrigley field still doesn't have one and they don't really care. I like the nostalgia aspect of baseball... the old scoreboard and stadium look. I really liked that idea brought up at the meeting and hope that will be incorporated. I'd much rather go to a game at Fenway or Wrigley than a park like the Marlins or Nationals just because they have big stuff. I want the full experience.

Todd4State
10-14-2013, 09:51 PM

The one in St. Louis is not the biggest in the world, but it's adequate. Us not having a ginormous video board would also be adequate- especially if the picture is HD.

FFF
10-14-2013, 09:59 PM
8. We do need a student section, but I'm a little confused about the "as elaborate as Turner Field" comment? Have they added something since I was there last because as far as I can recall it was basic outfield seats?

I was talking about the right field "club" area. Incorporate an outfield "club" with seats below somewhat like Turner has in the picture (trustmark has something similar to this). I meant it doesn't have to be elaborate as their outfield club (if you want to call it that) or identical, but an area specifically for the students that is THEIRS and has perks that no other area in the stadium has that will help draw them in. Maybe a sit-down picnic/grilling area beside a concession stand that serves a more extensive menu than just hot dogs and nachos... then have some bleachers/chairbacks below and in front of the elevated restaurant/picnic table area where students can sit. It doesn't have to be extensive, but the students NEED an area they can call theirs.

Todd4State
10-14-2013, 10:08 PM
I was talking about the right field "club" area. Incorporate an outfield "club" with seats below somewhat like Turner has in the picture (trustmark has something similar to this). I meant it doesn't have to be elaborate as their outfield club (if you want to call it that) or identical, but an area specifically for the students that is THEIRS and has perks that no other area in the stadium has that will help draw them in. Maybe a sit-down picnic/grilling area beside a concession stand that serves a more extensive menu than just hot dogs and nachos... then have some bleachers/chairbacks below and in front of the elevated restaurant/picnic table area where students can sit. It doesn't have to be extensive, but the students NEED an area they can call theirs.

I see what you are saying now.

engie
10-14-2013, 10:10 PM
I've never understood why they didn't just make a video board in right center where the giant "wall" is now blocking the hitter's view of the buildings behind there. Great thread that I agree wholeheartedly with, by the way...

DCdawg
10-14-2013, 10:11 PM
Someone brought up Isotopes Park a couple of months ago as a model to follow and from what I've been looking at lately, it's a good one. Google "Isotopes Park" and checkout the layout and berm I right field. The only thing that would have to be changed is the left field bleachers and those just wouldn't be there. I can put up some photos if anyone is interested.

Todd4State
10-14-2013, 10:13 PM

I'd love to hear her reason why she wants her name on her seat.

Todd4State
10-14-2013, 10:15 PM
Isotopes Park- I hope this works:

http://www.virtualalbuquerque.com/VirtualABQ/IsotopesPark/

CadaverDawg
10-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Ha, nope.

Todd4State
10-14-2013, 10:19 PM
Ha, nope.

Yes, that was a complete epic fail on my part.

bully99
10-14-2013, 10:20 PM
Todd, don't know who has bigger video screens, but A&M website said it would be biggest in sec and one of give biggest in college baseball. Too lazy to research it.

TheRef

I laughed for a good two minutes on that one. You win post of the month

CadaverDawg

Haha shoulda left it just to see what responses you would get.

engie
10-14-2013, 10:32 PM
Took 18 months and $25mil to build Isotopes Park(would be right at $30mil today)....

engie
10-14-2013, 10:37 PM
Todd, don't know who has bigger video screens, but A&M website said it would be biggest in sec and one of give biggest in college baseball. Too lazy to research it.

New Mexico(Isotopes),
Creighton(TD Ameritrade),
Nebraska(Haymarket Park)

I'm sure those are 3 of the "larger" ones...

Haymarket is something to look at as well. It's in the $30mil price range today and is closer on needed capacity than Isotopes.

http://www.levyrestaurants.com/images/haymarket-square/header.jpg

As tempted as I am to use AutoZone or Coolray as points of reference, both are simply outside of reason from a price perspective...

Irondawg
10-15-2013, 12:49 AM
The "how it looks on TV" issue with 4K people in a 10K stadium is hard to solve for me. Because for the big weekend series and the post-season you need the seats. The only solution that pops into my head at the moment it to find some way to hide the seats like the Jacksonville Jags have to do with big banners or something. It's not fantastic looking, but does look better than a huge section of empty seating.

I love the concourse idea - heck put in a mini MSU baseball museum with some fun fan experience stuff geared toward kids, etc. It sounds like some great ideas are floating around so now it's all in the execution but I'm confident with the people we're using to deliver a standout product.

Will James
10-15-2013, 06:16 AM
I'm the one that found isotopes about a year ago. I really really want that here. We could brick it and make it even nicer on the outside.

PassInterference
10-15-2013, 06:34 AM
The "how it looks on TV" issue with 4K people in a 10K stadium is hard to solve for me. Because for the big weekend series and the post-season you need the seats. The only solution that pops into my head at the moment it to find some way to hide the seats like the Jacksonville Jags have to do with big banners or something. It's not fantastic looking, but does look better than a huge section of empty seating.

I love the concourse idea - heck put in a mini MSU baseball museum with some fun fan experience stuff geared toward kids, etc. It sounds like some great ideas are floating around so now it's all in the execution but I'm confident with the people we're using to deliver a standout product.

I say make the stadium smaller. No need for all that vacant capacity so we can fill it a few games a year.

FFF
10-15-2013, 07:04 AM

Like Arkansas has at their football stadium. You could have a flat concrete area say down the first base line with picnic tables and have portable temporary seating (today's portable/collapsable chairbacks are very nice looking... You'd never know it was temporary) stored away in a bricked up storage location. Pull out the seating for big weekends and during midweek games, store the seats in a storage location and pull the picnic tables back out.

Before you condemn this idea, Nearly every major multipurpose arena in the country (FedEx, Staples, American Airlines arena, etc.) uses some form of collapsible seating, even for prime, high dollar seats.

messageboardsuperhero
10-15-2013, 07:16 AM
As for flexibility during midweek games, we can tarp the sections closest to the foul poles so that it looks like our grandstand holds only 5,000. The tarp could have logos; pictures of famous players; etc. to make it look nice. This is exactly what the Oakland A's do in their upper deck, and it would make a 3,500 crowd look really good from TV. For a weekend series, we can take the tarp off. I also like the idea of wide, open conconcourses and picnic areas for families in the sunny part of the concourse. Then, when we really needed the extra capacity for SBW or hosting, we could take the picnic tables out and put in temporary bleachers to handle the crowds.

This is the type of flexibility a new, open concourse grandstand would give us; we could essentially change the entire look and feel of our stadium for each game every different type of crowd. Please do this Scott.

messageboardsuperhero
10-15-2013, 07:20 AM
Like Arkansas has at their football stadium. You could have a flat concrete area say down the first base line with picnic tables and have portable temporary seating (today's portable/collapsable chairbacks are very nice looking... You'd never know it was temporary) stored away in a bricked up storage location. Pull out the seating for big weekends and during midweek games, store the seats in a storage location and pull the picnic tables back out.

Before you condemn this idea, Nearly every major multipurpose arena in the country (FedEx, Staples, American Airlines arena, etc.) uses some form of collapsible seating, even for prime, high dollar seats.

This is a good idea too and a lot like what I'm talking about.^^^ I hope Stricklin has someone reading these threads.

bully99
10-15-2013, 07:56 AM
Why do you have to cover up areas during midweek games. Those games are not on TV. Let's face it, the only time we come close to filling up Dudy is super bulldog weekend and postseason and the old Saturday doubleheaders. Even today the only time we draw a "big " crowd is Saturday sec games. Friday and Sunday are not big draws. I've been going to DNF since the late 70's.

Will James
10-15-2013, 08:42 AM
I say make the stadium smaller. No need for all that vacant capacity so we can fill it a few games a year.

Look at most MLB stadiums during the reg season. Who cares if its empty for McNeese State on a Tuesday

Bark
10-15-2013, 09:06 AM
Look at most MLB stadiums during the reg season. Who cares if its empty for McNeese State on a Tuesday

Exactly. It's not a big deal. It happens everywhere.

SnakePlissken
10-15-2013, 09:11 AM
Yeah, some of the lifetime people are going to complain if/when we start over, but I think they'll get over it pretty quickly when they see how much better and closer to the field the seating for a new grandstand would be. Even though they might have "worse" seats priority wise, they'll still probably end up with a closer seat to the field with a better view.
I think even the LFL needs to be reseated so to speak as well. If you tear down the grandstand and take away the priority of the seat owners then LFL needs to be "reseated" as well. That would give those folks who have wanted to be there an opportunity to get a spot just like reseating the grandstand will give others the opportunity to finally get in the grandstand.

In short, what's good for the grandstand should be good for the LFL as well. Reseat/reprioritize the whole damn place.

DCdawg
10-15-2013, 09:21 AM
In midweek games the seats closest to the foul lines should be covered by something. A general admission ticket in a midweek game should get you in a grandstand seat until someone with the ticket for the seat arrives. Like what is done for students - just do it for everyone in the midweek.

Political Hack
10-15-2013, 09:42 AM
The triple A affiliate for the Braves in Gwinnett County GA has a great ballpark. They simplified everything in the outfield and put a play place in right field and and picnic tables in right. That allowed them to focus all their money on the grandstand and extras in that area. we could do something similar with the LFL insert and center and a student lounge in right. The grandstand is nice too, but is like to see the grand plaza type entrance where people enter either down the first base line or the outfield, or both. If there's room they should do a small area with a playground or kids activities. It would make it much easier for families to come to the games, and families fill up ballparks. A group of 4+ is better than a guy and his buddy showing up.... which is typically how I've gone to baseball games at the Dude because there's nothing for smaller kids to do there for 3 hours.

engie
10-15-2013, 10:05 AM
Why do you have to cover up areas during midweek games. Those games are not on TV. Let's face it, the only time we come close to filling up Dudy is super bulldog weekend and postseason and the old Saturday doubleheaders. Even today the only time we draw a "big " crowd is Saturday sec games. Friday and Sunday are not big draws. I've been going to DNF since the late 70's.

There will be a tremendous amount of those games on TV going forward after this season. The SECNetwork is going to dictate major changes to how baseball is scheduled and "viewed" around the conference. Especially after the first year when ESPN gets the actual ratings and realizes that people in the southeast would much rather watch college baseball than anything else they show us from April-June.

engie
10-15-2013, 10:05 AM
Gwinnett is tough to take too much from -- since it was a $60mil project....

engie
10-15-2013, 10:11 AM

Open concourses, especially 360* concourses, give tremendous flexibility in the size of a crowd that you can support via standing room only, basically like our outfield already provides. You go lighter on the chairbacks -- with the ability to bring in temp seating on the concourses for big weekends.

One thing I'm confident in is that whatever we do, it will maintain the full "capacity" of our current venue on big weekends -- while likely reducing it somewhat during average weekends...

Political Hack
10-15-2013, 10:13 AM
Gwinnett is tough to take too much from -- since it was a $60mil project....

oh I agree we can't replicate it, but the focus on improving the grandstand while keeping open areas in the outfield is the direction I'd like to see us take.

bobcat91
10-15-2013, 11:08 AM
Since Stricklin is in charge of it, expect a lot of big talk and just some low level cosmetic changes. Hope he mans up and proves me wrong, but since he is wondering around with no plan already, I think we are screwed.

smootness
10-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Since Stricklin is in charge of it, expect a lot of big talk and just some low level cosmetic changes. Hope he mans up and proves me wrong, but since he is wondering around with no plan already, I think we are screwed.

If you can explain in what other ways he shown this to be true, I'd like to see it. Do you consider the DWS upgrade to be 'low level cosmetic changes'? How about the football facility? Basketball practice facility?

The people he has brought on board for this, in addition to his statements that he wants the best stadium in the country for college baseball (you don't put yourself out there like that unless you plan on attempting to follow through with it), tell me otherwise. Not to mention the fact that he knows Mississippi State and knows that if he messes this up, he won't be around any longer.

I think some of our fans hear him talk and think of him as just a nice guy and assume he doesn't have the balls to get things done the way they need to be done. And I don't get it. Because his actions prove otherwise.

Can someone provide one reason (outside of the Ray hire, which I personally think will prove to be phenomenal) as to why he's thought of as in over his head?

bully99
10-15-2013, 11:28 AM
60 million for a stadium that everytime I watch on tv is almost empty. That has to be the deadest stadium in baseball. Worse than even the M Braves

TheRef
10-15-2013, 11:30 AM
60 million for a stadium that everytime I watch on tv is almost empty. That has to be the deadest stadium in baseball. Worse than even the M Braves

Only time the M Braves stadium is full is when MSU and Ole Miss play. Or whenever Atlanta came for the Pros v. Minors game.

Esmerelda Villalobos
10-15-2013, 11:45 AM
Completely and totally agree with this. You cannot show in-game action on a baseball video board like you can football (only a picture and stats). Hell Wrigley field still doesn't have one and they don't really care. I like the nostalgia aspect of baseball... the old scoreboard and stadium look. I really liked that idea brought up at the meeting and hope that will be incorporated. I'd much rather go to a game at Fenway or Wrigley than a park like the Marlins or Nationals just because they have big stuff. I want the full experience.

The wrigley and boston old school scoreboards are cool and look awesome but they are a tremendous pain in the ass.

I say go simple or all in. Either a smaller board like we have now or a huge board like the cardinals in memphis with a led fence either in left or right field and led fascia all over the grandstand for stats and updates.

FFF
10-15-2013, 12:42 PM
The wrigley and boston old school scoreboards are cool and look awesome but they are a tremendous pain in the ass.

I say go simple or all in. Either a smaller board like we have now or a huge board like the cardinals in memphis with a led fence either in left or right field and led fascia all over the grandstand for stats and updates.

I wasn't necessarily suggesting a manual board like Fenway. Citizens bank park uses the old theme with LED lights to illuminate real time game scenarios and scores. That board is real time, interactive, and really ties in the old theme of baseball with new technology (check out the picture in my original post). I wasn't expecting we'd front the money to hire a crew to run a manual board ha.

Political Hack
10-15-2013, 12:51 PM

people are usually in the outfield with blankets popped out in the grass and with their kids in the jump land area.

messageboardsuperhero
10-15-2013, 01:01 PM

I think Stricklin will do this right because 1) he hired a freaking dream team of sports architects who do everything first class and 2) he then told this dream team to build the best college stadium in America. Based on last night, I'd say Stricklin is doing everything right at the moment.

messageboardsuperhero
10-15-2013, 01:04 PM
I love the scoreboard on the right field wall idea. It would be great and add a lot to the park.

And no, it wouldn't be manual, we can make it look old school but with electronic numbers. Citizens Bank Park is a good example, as FFF says.

WeWonItAll(Most)
10-15-2013, 01:22 PM

^^^^^
This

An empty baseball stadium is different from an empty football stadium. It's not that big of a deal.

Also, would you rather have the announcers on ESPN compliment you because your 4k stadium is full against Auburn during the regular season, or would you rather have them complimenting you for having your 14k stadium full during a super regional? And mention how it cracks the top 10 attendence records list, which, by the way, we own all 10 of?

smootness
10-15-2013, 01:57 PM
I think Stricklin will do this right because 1) he hired a freaking dream team of sports architects who do everything first class and 2) he then told this dream team to build the best college stadium in America.

Yep, and now the only possible constraint is how much money we'll throw at it in order to accomplish this. Obviously it should be great no matter what, but they can only make it the best if they have the funds to do it.

If I were Stricklin, I would tell them to provide 2 initial plans, one that is a plan for the absolute best stadium in the country (at the lowest possible cost) and one for the best stadium they can come up with for a budget of X (a number that he feels comfortable we can raise).

Then he should pitch them both to the fanbase in order to raise as much money as possible, and let the fans knows it is up to them as to which we go with. Based on how the initial fundraising goes (along with any funds we can already allocate), we should then break ground and actually start building.

bobcat91
10-15-2013, 04:07 PM
[QUOTE=smootness;66058]If you can explain in what other ways he shown this to be true, I'd like to see it. Do you consider the DWS upgrade to be 'low level cosmetic changes'? How about the football facility? Basketball practice facility?

The people he has brought on board for this, in addition to his statements that he wants the best stadium in the country for college baseball (you don't put yourself out there like that unless you plan on attempting to follow through with it), tell me otherwise. Not to mention the fact that he knows Mississippi State and knows that if he messes this up, he won't be around any longer.

I think some of our fans hear him talk and think of him as just a nice guy and assume he doesn't have the balls to get things done the way they need to be done. And I don't get it. Because his actions prove otherwise.
Can someone provide one reason (outsideof the Ray hire, which I personally think will prove to be phenomenal) as to why he's thought of as in over his head?[/QUO
He has had one major decision so far and that's hiring the head basketball coach. If you don't know why we have Rick Ray and how bad that was handled then you are clueless and I have no time to waste. Scott is LT with a personality. Yep he is that damn bad so don't expect miracles unless Cohen threatens to kick his ass.