PDA

View Full Version : Dejavu all over again? The season may end up being like 2001. The wheels are

Saltydog
09-30-2018, 09:38 AM
already falling off this thing and we're starring straight down the barrel of a 5 win season, IF we can win the Egg on the road and I would say that's doubtful. I'm sure the finger pointing has started in the locker room and Mofo'ing JoMo won't be able to get a handle on it. This season is slowly spiraling out of control. It's going to get ugly folks.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2018, 09:43 AM
already falling off this thing and we're starring straight down the barrel of a 5 win season, IF we can win the Egg on the road and I would say that's doubtful. I'm sure the finger pointing has started in the locker room and Mofo'ing JoMo won't be able to get a handle on it. This season is slowly spiraling out of control. It's going to get ugly folks.

I'm afraid you're right.

Not sure who we should've hired though. Maybe Grantham as head coach and Knox as OC? That would've been what Ole Miss basically did, but that's the only other viable alternative that I see

If you want to be mad at anyone, be mad at Mullen for bailing on his team. It's a big problem with college football that successful power 5 coaches bail to bigger programs, and thus always leaving the 2nd tier programs rebuilding

Coursesuper
09-30-2018, 09:47 AM

Your correct, this 2001 all over again and it's a terrible feeling.

Dawgfan77
09-30-2018, 09:47 AM
When there is a players only meeting after the fourth game and then they come out and lay an egg. Against the former coach. This team is done.
Keenum and Cohn have a decsion to make. Keep Moorhead and let 18 turn into 01 and then spiral out of control. Or cut the snakes head off get a head start on 19. I say fire Moorhead Monday. Promote hud to intern. Laugh all you want but we wouldn?t win anymore games with hud as the coach or Moorhead. Best case is 5 wins this year

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2018, 09:51 AM
When there is a players only meeting after the fourth game and then they come out and lay an egg. Against the former coach. This team is done.
Keenum and Cohn have a decsion to make. Keep Moorhead and let 18 turn into 01 and then spiral out of control. Or cut the snakes head off get a head start on 19. I say fire Moorhead Monday. Promote hud to intern. Laugh all you want but we wouldn?t win anymore games with hud as the coach or Moorhead. Best case is 5 wins this year

Ridiculous to fire Moorhead Monday. Completely absurd way to run a business.

That being said, I better see some improvement between now and the end of the season or I may get a happy trigger finger.

TrapGame
09-30-2018, 09:55 AM
Does Keenum and Cohen try to start a Howland Maneuver? Do they put out feelers to a few coach's agents? Can they turn the narrative to "We gave him a top 15 team and we're looking at a 4-8 season."?

Dawgfan77
09-30-2018, 09:55 AM
Ridiculous to fire Moorhead Monday. Completely absurd way to run a business.

That being said, I better see some improvement between now and the end of the season or I may get a happy trigger finger.
Ok then wait til end of the year? If the answer to should we keep him is the same oct 1 as it is dec 1. Why wait??

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2018, 09:57 AM
Ok then wait til end of the year? If the answer to should we keep him is the same oct 1 as it is dec 1. Why wait??

Well, since Dec 1st in the future from Oct 1st, it's impossible for anyone to know that.

3rdGen
09-30-2018, 10:02 AM
This season is going to suck. It’s already a dumpster fire. No need to make a bigger. Let him get a q.v. that can complete a 10yard pass for Christ sake.

Leroy Jenkins
09-30-2018, 10:43 AM
If you think he is the guy long term you keep him. If you think he is not the guy he as to be let go.

-what must be done eventually should be done immediately.

BeardoMSU
09-30-2018, 10:58 AM
I say fire Moorhead Monday.

Good luck ever hiring a decent coach again...that's a fabulous business strategy.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 11:04 AM

It had that vibe coming in. It REALLY does now.

Maroonthirteen
09-30-2018, 11:08 AM
It had that vibe coming in. It REALLY does now.

It sucks we were right. But you and I called it a few months back.

preachermatt83
09-30-2018, 01:48 PM
Didn't somebody bring something like this up before the season. Seems like it and seems like he was treated like an idiot for even suggesting it was even a possibility. Idk

preachermatt83
09-30-2018, 01:53 PM
Didn't somebody bring something like this up before the season. Seems like it and seems like he was treated like an idiot for even suggesting it was even a possibility. Idk

Ah yes here it is. Smh. Look at some of the responses. Ole preach got raked over the coals and looks like he was pretty close to right as bad as I didn't want to be.

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?68294-2001-preseason&highlight=2001

Dawgs87
09-30-2018, 01:58 PM
Good luck ever hiring a decent coach again...that's a fabulous business strategy.

Didn't seem to hinder Florida much.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2018, 02:01 PM

Ok. You're right. Along with sucking, if Moorhead gets caught 17ing a shark in the next month or so, i agree

Dawgs87
09-30-2018, 02:02 PM
Ok. You're right. Along with sucking, if Moorhead gets caught 17ing a shark in the next month or so, i agree

I hope that's sarcasm. Hard to tell on a message board.

Dawgology
09-30-2018, 02:03 PM

It's how you run a successful business. It sends a message that you are serious about success. We aren't stuck trying to find an assistant coach for 2 million a year. We could easily go out and hire a proven winner and pay them 4-6 million a year starting out. And there are more than a few coaches who would jump at the chance.

msu4ever
09-30-2018, 02:04 PM
Ah yes here it is. Smh. Look at some of the responses. Ole preach got raked over the coals and looks like he was pretty close to right as bad as I didn't want to be.

Maybe it is as simple as, "you don't want to be the person who follows the favorite/long timer/successful preacher/leader/coach, you want to be the preacher/leader/coach who follows the person who followed the long time favorite."

Internally, there is often a larger adjustment that talent can account for.

Just a thought.....

Bothrops
09-30-2018, 02:07 PM
Play Key Saturday against Auburn to prove that he can or can't do better. We have naught to lose.

Dawg61
09-30-2018, 02:31 PM

Shark 17er wasn't fired after only coaching 5 games total.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-30-2018, 02:48 PM
It's how you run a successful business. It sends a message that you are serious about success. We aren't stuck trying to find an assistant coach for 2 million a year. We could easily go out and hire a proven winner and pay them 4-6 million a year starting out. And there are more than a few coaches who would jump at the chance.

No it isn't. Name me all the teams that fired a coach after year 1 and then went on to succeed. Nobody does that, even the teams that have money coming out of their ass

5-6 million starting out? After we pay the buyout for the whole staff? I understand that crap sounds great but the reality is we don't have that money. LSU has way more than us, and their fans don't think they can afford to fire coach O this year. There's a reason 5-6M a year is top dollar, it's because it's very hard for any program to round up that kind of cash for a coach. Much less a program with a little money as we have, not to mention we'd be rounding up 5-6m for a guy that's unproven in the SEC, whoever we'd be getting.

But lets say you did round up 5-6M a year after paying several $M in buyouts. What coach would come for that? well any coach with that money would have options. If we fire a 2.7m coach after year 1 just because we didn't like the play on the field, any potential coach would know he's on the hot seat immediately. Especially if we're paying him double the last guy. So if a guy is a $3-4m coach with options, we would still struggle to get him at 5-6m because he knows he may get 1 year instead of 3 at a lower paying school. We'd get shafted on value. Not that any of that matters though, because the idea we could buyout a year 1 staff and then pony up more money that we ever paid Dan is laughable

bulldawg28
09-30-2018, 02:51 PM
Go get Kiffin if he'll come

Matt3467
09-30-2018, 02:54 PM
You can't fire a guy in his first season unless there's a legitimate pr reason or else no one would come here.

Saltydog
09-30-2018, 03:02 PM
that we're losing with 17 effing starters returning and looking bad in doing so, so yeah there's a big difference. You can tell the team is lost. You can tell JoMo has no control over them. The locker room is going to split and if you think an already incompetent, inexperienced coach can rectify it then you have no idea about organizational management. Once you lose it, it's hard to ever get it back.

yjnkdawg
09-30-2018, 03:13 PM

That ain't happening, but if it did, what coach do you think would be interested in wanting our hc job. None, that we would want.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 03:17 PM
You can't fire a guy in his first season unless there's a legitimate pr reason or else no one would come here.

Yep, you can't fire him after one season. You can fire who hired hm though.

Dawgfan77
09-30-2018, 03:28 PM
Thank you good sir. Some people are comfortable being status quo or how will we survive if we fire a coach. The real message it sends is we don?t fuq around anymore at state we are committed to winning
This excuse of he needs time or let the season play out is what teams that except losing do. Sorry if I want more out of my athletic teams. Again if he ain?t the right guy in October then he won?t be the right guy in December.

yjnkdawg
09-30-2018, 03:29 PM

OK you be Cohen for now.You decide to fire JoeMo either this Monday, or at the end of this season. Now tell us who you think you possibility may be able to get to replace him, after you fired JoeMo that quickly? This board goes from unreal to stupidity sometimes.

Dawgfan77
09-30-2018, 03:32 PM
That ain't happening, but if it did, what coach do you think would be interested in wanting our hc job. None, that we would want.
Plenty.
So your a rock star at company A making 800k. Now company B just let there president of sales go 11 months into the job for lack of production. So company A Comes to you offering you a million more than you make now. What are you going to do??

Dawgfan77
09-30-2018, 03:36 PM
OK you be Cohen for now.You decide to fire JoeMo either this Monday, or at the end of this season. Now tell us who you think you possibility may be able to get to replace him, after you fired JoeMo that quickly? This board goes from unreal to stupidity sometimes.
Ok let?s do this. We get beat soundly this weekend at home in front of a liberal 37,600 against Au. We again struggle offensively only this time the D clearly gives up. Now for three weeks straight against SEC teams the offense continues to fail and now the other parts of the team are falling apart. You have an off week. Then you make the call and promote Hud to interm
You asked that?s what I would do

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-30-2018, 03:52 PM

Dude stfu. You literally said this feels like 2001 then predicted 10-2 a few posts later. Its easy to be "right" when you cover the all the realms of possibility in your predictions.

I got a prediction for you. We will beat Auburn next Saturday, unless we lose.

Jack Lambert
09-30-2018, 03:59 PM
I think it is going to be more like 2013.

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-30-2018, 04:11 PM
Plenty.
So your a rock star at company A making 800k. Now company B just let there president of sales go 11 months into the job for lack of production. So company A Comes to you offering you a million more than you make now. What are you going to do??

College football isn't a sales company, and the fact that literally no program in the nation behaves this way tells me that you're wrong. Not even the most entitled, batshit crazy programs you can think of. So I'll ask again, what makes MSU so unique that we could pull that off, besides "investors in Starkville deserve it" or whatever bs you were spewing last night.

Dawgfan77
09-30-2018, 04:14 PM
I think it is going to be more like 2013.

I wished. We at least could score in 13. Joe couldn?t score at the bunny ranch with this offense

Dawgfan77
09-30-2018, 04:18 PM
College football isn't a sales company, and the fact that literally no program in the nation behaves this way tells me that you're wrong. Not even the most entitled, batshit crazy programs you can think of. So I'll ask again, what makes MSU so unique that we could pull that off, besides "investors in Starkville deserve it" or whatever bs you were spewing last night.

If you don?t think $$ invested in Starkville has a correlation to success on the football field you are sorely mistaken.

Dawg61
09-30-2018, 04:27 PM
If you don?t think $$ invested in Starkville has a correlation to success on the football field you are sorely mistaken.

That's the risk of doing business in a SEC town. Go checkout out how many restaurants have opened and closed in Knoxville in the last ten years.

RocketDawg
09-30-2018, 04:28 PM

It's looking that way, but I'm not sure it's "slowly". It's a bit faster than that.

We should beat Arkansas, and we should beat LaTech (but that's not guaranteed). If we beat OM, we have a 6-win season and get invited to the B'ham Bowl, and maybe should turn it down. OM looked pretty bad against LSU last night, so they're probably beatable. It most likely will be the least attended Egg Bowl in modern history though.

RocketDawg
09-30-2018, 04:30 PM

The price of hotel rooms in Starkville may take a big dip before long if our stellar play keeps up.

RocketDawg
09-30-2018, 04:32 PM

I'll bet MSU football, and other sports to a degree, affect Starkville a lot more than Tennessee sports affect businesses in Knoxville.

RocketDawg
09-30-2018, 04:35 PM
Ok let?s do this. We get beat soundly this weekend at home in front of a liberal 37,600 against Au. We again struggle offensively only this time the D clearly gives up. Now for three weeks straight against SEC teams the offense continues to fail and now the other parts of the team are falling apart. You have an off week. Then you make the call and promote Hud to interm
You asked that?s what I would do

I wish somebody would explain the love affair with "Hud".

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-30-2018, 04:44 PM

Yea it does. Just like it does in every college town in America, and again, no one fires their coach after one year. Let alone 5 or 6 freaking games into his first season.

Dawgs87
09-30-2018, 05:41 PM
Yea it does. Just like it does in every college town in America, and again, no one fires their coach after one year. Let alone 5 or 6 freaking games into his first season.

I don't think the conventional response of "no one does" means that we shouldn't. How far down the trash chute should we let him take us before we say enough? I personally don't want to endure 19 more games before we finally cut the cord. I do think we should give him this 3 game stretch. If it doesn't get better, then I think we've seen all we need to see.

Like if there is no improvement at all, it will not get better no matter what personnel may change. I don't know of a team ever that basically returned the entire team and got significantly worse overnight. This started with UK. If he can't show any improvement in a 5 game span WITH a bye week, it will not get better. I don't know what else to say. What team shows 0 improvement and makes 0 adjustments? Furthermore, what does that say about the HC?

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 05:57 PM
I don't think the conventional response of "no one does" means that we shouldn't. How far down the trash chute should we let him take us before we say enough? I personally don't want to endure 19 more games before we finally cut the cord. I do think we should give him this 3 game stretch. If it doesn't get better, then I think we've seen all we need to see.

Like if there is no improvement at all, it will not get better no matter what personnel may change. I don't know of a team ever that basically returned the entire team and got significantly worse overnight. This started with UK. If he can't show any improvement in a 5 game span WITH a bye week, it will not get better. I don't know what else to say. What team shows 0 improvement and makes 0 adjustments? Furthermore, what does that say about the HC?

If we are Alabama and Joe inherited Saban talent then, yeah, we could get away with it. As it is we are a bit suspect because people were actually wanting Mullen to leave. Mullen is seen as a miracle worker nationally because of what he did her. We have to give hm two, and more likely, three years.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 05:58 PM

Me too, a failed lower level coach who cheated his butt off to achieve what success he had doesn't seem to be an ideal guy.

Dawgs87
09-30-2018, 06:21 PM
If we are Alabama and Joe inherited Saban talent then, yeah, we could get away with it. As it is we are a bit suspect because people were actually wanting Mullen to leave. Mullen is seen as a miracle worker nationally because of what he did her. We have to give hm two, and more likely, three years.

That just seems like the same old mentality to me. Yes, I am accustomed to winning. No, I do not want to be a doormat. I personally don't think a single prospective HC 1. Knows that a silent minority of MSU fans hoped Merlin would leave. 2. If they somehow had their ears on the MSU beat that intensely, they wouldn't give two 17's if asked to be the coach. "You mean I can can make 2-10x as much money as i'm currently making? Where do I sign?" Let's be realistic. Living in Starkville and Mississippi in general is a way bigger hurdle in a national search than what some random fans are saying on message boards. Let's stop pretending like that makes any 17ing difference.

Dawgfan77
09-30-2018, 07:02 PM
Ok how about we promote Joey jones as interm. It?s not the love of hud it?s the fact in 5 games joe blows

Really Clark?
09-30-2018, 07:14 PM
Ok how about we promote Joey jones as interm. It?s not the love of hud it?s the fact in 5 games joe blows

You don’t and can’t remove a HC 5 games into his first season. It’s an automatic destruction of the program for the foreseeable future. You just told every potential new coach hire, if your team sucks for 2 games of your first 5 games your gone. Not to mention financial implications of aggressive HC turn over like that.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 08:10 PM
That just seems like the same old mentality to me. Yes, I am accustomed to winning. No, I do not want to be a doormat. I personally don't think a single prospective HC 1. Knows that a silent minority of MSU fans hoped Merlin would leave. 2. If they somehow had their ears on the MSU beat that intensely, they wouldn't give two 17's if asked to be the coach. "You mean I can can make 2-10x as much money as i'm currently making? Where do I sign?" Let's be realistic. Living in Starkville and Mississippi in general is a way bigger hurdle in a national search than what some random fans are saying on message boards. Let's stop pretending like that makes any 17ing difference.
It's not old mentality, it's eternal mentality. Perception trumps reality. Agents know what's going on....it's their job.