PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe that Moorhead can eventually be successful here?

Quaoarsking
09-30-2018, 08:51 AM
I don't necessarily think he will, but I still think he can. I think his whole career rides on having a QB next year (probably Shrader, but if Keytaon or Mayden can pick it up, great) who can actually run his offense, along with OL who get it and WRs who don't drop the passes the QB gets to them.

Moorhead was too highly respected nationwide to actually be a bad coach. The question is now whether he can get players in here who can run his system.

msstate7
09-30-2018, 08:59 AM
Charlie weis and Tyrone willingham were well respected too

Quaoarsking
09-30-2018, 09:02 AM
Charlie weis and Tyrone willingham were well respected too

I take it you're a No?

msstate7
09-30-2018, 09:03 AM
I take it you're a No?

Yeah, chalk me up lol

Can't see polls on mobile view

TrapGame
09-30-2018, 09:07 AM
It's a no for me. Square peg, round hole here in the SEC. He might get things looking better with Shrader but what does that cost us in fans and recruiting by the time he does? I hope he proves me wrong but I don't think so.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2018, 09:11 AM
Moorhead can be successful if he can find a way to recruit well while his offense sucks.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-30-2018, 09:13 AM
Honestly I think yes. In time he'll have the OL understand pass Pro better this they do now, and in time he'll find a smart QB who can throw. He's recruiting better than Mullen and hasn't messed up the defense. He can always change his coaching style to show a bit more fire and demand more physicality (SEC requires more physicality than he's used to).

Now, that's not to say he will be successful, just that I think he can be. If the O keeps playing like this he doesn't deserve the time to get his QB ready to go. If he can't get a real OL coach he won't have success.

I think Johnson is a bigger problem for this O than Fitz is, or even the play calling. Look at the KSU, we were able to run the ball against a bad D and JoMo passed very little till we had the game in hand. At Kentucky the Ol was ass in both run blocking and pass pro, we can complain about the number of passes but nothing would have worked with that OL. Then yesterday almost every blitz has guys coming free. yes we should have run more, yes Fitz isn't accurate, but the fact is the OTs and OL as a whole have regressed a lot. That's on Johnson. If the line from last year were playing tonight, we'd have run the ball down their throats and had time to pass. Not trying to be a Moorhead apologist because he clearly has his issues, I'm just saying we all should agree that Johnson needs to go at the very least

WinningIsRelentless
09-30-2018, 09:16 AM
No.

Dawgfan77
09-30-2018, 09:18 AM
A Big NO. If he cant move the ball against average SEC defenses with this years team. He never will. I don?t get why folks think he will get better he has shown no improvements

Drugdog
09-30-2018, 09:20 AM
Not a Chinaman?s chance.

TrapGame
09-30-2018, 09:20 AM
Honestly I think yes. In time he'll have the OL understand pass Pro better this they do now, and in time he'll find a smart QB who can throw. He's recruiting better than Mullen and hasn't messed up the defense. He can always change his coaching style to show a bit more fire and demand more physicality (SEC requires more physicality than he's used to).

Now, that's not to say he will be successful, just that I think he can be. If the O keeps playing like this he doesn't deserve the time to get his QB ready to go. If he can't get a real OL coach he won't have success.

I think Johnson is a bigger problem for this O than Fitz is, or even the play calling. Look at the KSU, we were able to run the ball against a bad D and JoMo passed very little till we had the game in hand. At Kentucky the Ol was ass in both run blocking and pass pro, we can complain about the number of passes but nothing would have worked with that OL. Then yesterday almost every blitz has guys coming free. yes we should have run more, yes Fitz isn't accurate, but the fact is the OTs and OL as a whole have regressed a lot. That's on Johnson. If the line from last year were playing tonight, we'd have run the ball down their throats and had time to pass. Not trying to be a Moorhead apologist because he clearly has his issues, I'm just saying we all should agree that Johnson needs to go at the very least

I did notice Joe was a little more fiery on the sideline last night. He chewed on some refs and "bullshit!" escaped his lips several times.

Johnson needs to go. I don't think he understands Joe's offense.

Dawgs87
09-30-2018, 09:27 AM
No. I do believe his system works. I do not believe it will work at State in a reasonable amount of time to keep him from being fired or resigning. I also see no ability to make in-game adjustments. We've gotten dominated in the 2nd half of both games because the other teams did make adjustments. Expect more of the same.

dawgday166
09-30-2018, 09:33 AM
I believe he might can. Not sure tho. He crapping the bed right now. I don't think it's that we don't have the players either. I believe it's due to lack of effort in practice and not doing the film study. That's why we are looking like so much hot garbage.

The media thought we were good, the team thinks their good, and the coaches thought we were good. They all relaxed and didn't and are not working hard.

The more I think about it, that's what I think it is. That would explain all the confusion on offense and the lack of physicality on Oline and back 7 on defense.

Dawg61
09-30-2018, 09:38 AM
Yes if he can fix the OL.

Dawgs87
09-30-2018, 09:47 AM
Yes if he can fix the OL.

My quote from another thread:

"I would argue that the OTs are getting beat because we throw an incomplete pass on nearly every 1st down play, and our RBs touch the ball on approximately 20% of our offensive snaps. When you combine those two factors and add in 3rd and longs, it's not hard to figure out why they are struggling."

Add to that a QB incapable of throwing an accurate pass, and completely forget about timing routes, rhythm throws, back shoulders, leading receivers so they get YAC, or even making sure he's at least throwing to the hot receiver when he audibles for the 57th time out of 58 plays. Any OL would struggle when you're averaging 3.8 yards per completion and your QB runs 36 times in 2 games at 1.5 yards per carry.

Edit: He also holds the ball in the pocket way, way, way tooo long

msudawg1200
09-30-2018, 09:48 AM
Not no, but he... yeah you get it. Terrible fit and hire.

Dawg496
09-30-2018, 09:50 AM
I don't think he's a good fit for the SEC. Bama, LSU and Georgia are gonna jump on us like Brett Kavanaugh drunk at a frat party.

BB30
09-30-2018, 10:16 AM
I don't think he's a good fit for the SEC. Bama, LSU and Georgia are gonna jump on us like Brett Kavanaugh drunk at a frat party.

Yea, I think he got here saw the talent and assumed we were extremely talented and we probably are compared to a large majority of big 10 teams that he saw.

We are a pretty talented team but we aren’t heads and tails above anyone else in the sec and it’s showing what inferior coaching will get you. Sad thing is we are wasting a great defense. Possibly one of the best Ds we have had talent wise.

Todd4State
09-30-2018, 10:29 AM
I think he can succeed if he is given time to bring in players that fit his system but I'm not sure that he will be given time to do that.

And by time I mean one offseason.

Pit Bull
09-30-2018, 06:04 PM
I don't necessarily think he will, but I still think he can. I think his whole career rides on having a QB next year (probably Shrader, but if Keytaon or Mayden can pick it up, great) who can actually run his offense, along with OL who get it and WRs who don't drop the passes the QB gets to them.

Moorhead was too highly respected nationwide to actually be a bad coach. The question is now whether he can get players in here who can run his system.

He's not a bad coach....it's just whether he can be a good P5 Head Coach. You have to be a CEO like Sherrill and run an effective organization below you. The players seem to love him....what's not to love about your coach who loves Rap music. When Sherrill lost his grip during his last 3 years.....we see what happened. You HAVE to control your team...….like Saban.