PDA

View Full Version : Bottom line offense is horrible.

Jack Lambert
09-30-2018, 08:11 AM
Shakes things up. Don't care what but anything is better then 13 points in two games.

Coursesuper
09-30-2018, 08:20 AM
"You can't fix stupid, there's no pill there's no therapy, stupid is forever. " Ron White. This sums up what we're trying to do on offense. The scheme is the problem and that's on the staff, this is their core belief in how to operate their offense. So there in lies the issue. I don't think you can just shake this up.

Jack Lambert
09-30-2018, 08:26 AM
"You can't fix stupid, there's no pill there's no therapy, stupid is forever. " Ron White. This sums up what we're trying to do on offense. The scheme is the problem and that's on the staff, this is their core belief in how to operate their offense. So there in lies the issue. I don't think you can just shake this up.

That goes back to my anything wording. Hell I am sure there is a Mullen Play book laying around somewhere.

Coursesuper
09-30-2018, 08:30 AM
That goes back to my anything wording. Hell I am sure there is a Mullen Play book laying around somewhere.

You serious Clark?

TrapGame
09-30-2018, 08:36 AM

Yeah, talk about shaking things up. I thought it would have been hilarious is Joe would have let Fitz and the offense run a few of Mullen's old plays every now and then.

Seriously, we are in deep shit. Pull back the offense install and just run zone read with some designed plays. Don't let Fitz overthink shit. Just play the game with what you have not what you don't.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2018, 08:38 AM

Maybe your right but this scheme has never been an issue at literally anywhere else he's coached.

Therefore, instead of blaming the scheme, we need to dig deeper and ask why the a scheme that has worked everywhere else is so putrid here.

Jack Lambert
09-30-2018, 08:48 AM
Maybe your right but this scheme has never been an issue at literally anywhere else he's coached.

Therefore, instead of blaming the scheme, we need to dig deeper and ask why the a scheme that has worked everywhere else is so putrid here.

One: SEC defenses. Two: His offense is easy to read. At least the way State runs it. The QB is either going to hand it off or pass. That's not fooling anyone. My 14 year old son guesses correctly whats going to happen every play.

defiantdog
09-30-2018, 08:52 AM

This scheme doesn't work against real defenses..... also, you can't expect a QB to hold the ball in the pocket for 6 seconds waiting for a play to open up. To be successful in the SEC, you have to get the ball out of the QB's hands as fast as possible.

Coursesuper
09-30-2018, 08:54 AM

Look, this is football it's really not that deep, any good football coach will come into a situation and evaluate the talent available then adapt their schemes to fit what those players do well. Theses guys are coaching like their playing Xbox, they are throwing shat at a wall and seeing what will stick. They are asking many of the players on the offensive side of the ball to do things they aren't capable of doing period. It's scheme, inflexiblity or just plain hard headedness. But the bottom line is they are easy to defend due to these failures.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2018, 08:54 AM
This scheme doesn't work against real defenses..... also, you can't expect a QB to hold the ball in the pocket for 6 seconds waiting for a play to open up. To be successful in the SEC, you have to get the ball out of the QB's hands as fast as possible.

Except it did work against real defenses at Penn state.

msstate7
09-30-2018, 08:56 AM

It's working better for penn state without Moorhead. They lost Barkley, gesicki, and Moorhead, and they're better offensively

TrapGame
09-30-2018, 08:56 AM

Yeah, Michigan had the #3 defense last year when Joe shredded it.

Really Clark?
09-30-2018, 10:01 AM
It's working better for penn state without Moorhead. They lost Barkley, gesicki, and Moorhead, and they're better offensively

I agree but they are still running HIS offense (with a senior QB who knows the scheme intimately), prior to that they didn’t have a very good offense and Franklin was suppose to be a great offensive coach when he was hired.

Sacrifice
09-30-2018, 10:14 AM
It looks to me like Mullen had this offense set up the way he wanted it. Mullen was a great run game coordinator. He could produce explosive plays through the run game. Joe isn't near Mullen when it comes to that. Joe wants to produce big plays through the air and we're not built like that.
We could change QBs, but I'm not sure it would make much of a difference at this point. We don't have a QB on the roster that can pick a D apart with his arm and Joe hasn't shown the ability to call explosive plays on the ground. I'm not sure what we're gonna do at this point.