PDA

View Full Version : We All Underestimated How Good Mullen Was

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2018, 07:51 AM
I think it's clear that we took him granted and never realized how much garbage and lack of talent he covered up.

Just look at the evidence:

- Last night Florida's OL can't block us. What does he do? All quick passes. Gets the ball out of the QB's hands with quick reads.

- 2010 vs Florida, has a QB that can't throw and beats Florida at the swamp without throwing in the 2nd half.

- 2015 he has a 160 lb running back and decides to throw all year.

We can complain all day about why Mullen didn't recruit better but it's more than evident that he was willing to adapt his offense to the strengths and weaknesses of the team and it's clear that we never gave him enough credit for that and that JoMo May not have the ability do that.

msstate7
09-30-2018, 07:53 AM
Some of us knew Mullen was really good all along

Maroonthirteen
09-30-2018, 07:55 AM
I didn?t. Mullen was not perfect. He made some mistakes. However he had the MSU football program hitting its head on the glass ceiling.

Jack Lambert
09-30-2018, 08:09 AM
They scored 13 points.

msstate7
09-30-2018, 08:10 AM
They scored 13 points.

We scored 6. We've only scored 13 in 2 sec games combined

mstatefan91
09-30-2018, 08:11 AM
Mullen scored 13 points. Moorhead’s offense beat us last night

msstate7
09-30-2018, 08:12 AM
Mullen scored 13 points. Moorhead’s offense beat us last night

They scored what they had to win. We didn't, and we won't except for maybe la tech and ark

Jack Lambert
09-30-2018, 08:12 AM
We scored 6. We've only scored 13 in 2 sec games combined

My point is Mullen did not beat us. Our suck ass offense beat us.

Dawgfan77
09-30-2018, 08:14 AM
No, it?s not that at all. Please folks get your head out of the sand. The issue is Cohn tried to outsmart folks and went and hired an OC from a big 10 school to be our HC. He had numerous options and he shit the bed. Mullen did a frat job here and left Joe with a ton of talent. Joe Moorhead was the worst hire in the SEC period.

MetEdDawg
09-30-2018, 08:17 AM
No, it?s not that at all. Please folks get your head out of the sand. The issue is Cohn tried to outsmart folks and went and hired an OC from a big 10 school to be our HC. He had numerous options and he shit the bed. Mullen did a frat job here and left Joe with a ton of talent. Joe Moorhead was the worst hire in the SEC period.

Who were our numerous options?

Cooterpoot
09-30-2018, 08:17 AM
Mullen was always good until the last three games of the year when he was hunting a job.

Maroonthirteen
09-30-2018, 08:21 AM
The issue is Cohn tried to outsmart folks and went and hired an OC from a big 10 school to be our HC. He had numerous options and he shit the bed.d.

Who were the options?

Not trying to argue. I’d really like to know.

Dawgs87
09-30-2018, 08:26 AM

Jeremy Pruitt
Lane Kiffin
Mike Leach (Actual offensive genius)
Neil Brown
Chad Morris
Mike Norvell
Bill Clark
Les Miles

Edit: Added Lane Kiffin and Neil Brown

Dawg2003
09-30-2018, 08:42 AM
Mullen did a lot with inferior talent. He wasn't perfect, and no coach is. But he covered up a lot. He made Fitz look amazing last year, and now he looks like crap.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-30-2018, 08:49 AM
Jeremy Pruitt
Chad Morris
Mike Norvell
Bill Clark
Les Miles

Pruitt is a dud, as is Morris. Norvell isn't that good, they were good on O last year but are 2-2 this year. He's not an SEC level coach and he has off field problems. Bill Clark did a nice job resurrecting UAB, but that in no way means he can recruit at a high level, or runs a scheme that'll work in the SEC. All he's proven is that he's a good culture builder, we'd need more. Less Miles is a washed up fool who literally runs a Croom offense with no QB development. "He's a great recruiter!" you say, I say anyone at LSU would have top 10 classes. "he has great defenses", yeah because LSU always paid more than we can for top DCs, plus the talent level which we overall can't compete with. All Miles can do good is motivate the team and create a physical culture.

Mike Leach.... Let me get this straight, we complain about Moorhead ruining our O by throwing the ball more than 40% of the time, and you also want us to hire an air raid coach? If we don't have the QB or WRs to be balanced ho the heck would Leaches system work? It would be a disaster. OM can run it, not us. There's also a reason he's at Washington State and not a bigger program after 17 years of HC data to pull from.

No, if we were to hire someone it should be Neil Brown. He resurrected a dead program (similar to Bill Clark), yet has his team playing at a higher level. This is the 3rd year in a row he's had them pretty good (like upset ranked P5 teams, win 10 kind of good). He knows how to beat big teams in tough environments. I don't know if he needs 2 good coordinators to succeed, if he does then that's a problem due to our small pocket book. But the man can build a roster and a consistent, winning culture. he was the guy I wanted before we hired Moorhead, and if Moorhead really misses a bowl game he's the only one I have confidence in to be good.

TrapGame
09-30-2018, 08:51 AM
Jeremy Pruitt
Chad Morris
Mike Norvell
Bill Clark
Les Miles

OK, other than Coach Asparagus who really was interested in our job?

And Mike Leach couldn't make Fitz any better. And if he brought in Menshew it would have split the fanbase and most of the QBs would have quit the team.

msstate7
09-30-2018, 08:53 AM
Lane Kiffin and Neal Brown would've taken our job

BulldogBear
09-30-2018, 08:58 AM
Mullen scored 13 points. Moorhead?s offense beat us last night

This. Mullen and the country club will not meet Floridsla's expectations and will be gone in 3-4 years. Book it. Mullenz is Mullenz.

Nothing changed for Florida last night. Everything changed for us. It is NoJo that we overestimated, not Don that we undervalued.

Dawgs87
09-30-2018, 08:59 AM
No, if we were to hire someone it should be Neil Brown. He resurrected a dead program (similar to Bill Clark), yet has his team playing at a higher level. This is the 3rd year in a row he's had them pretty good (like upset ranked P5 teams, win 10 kind of good). He knows how to beat big teams in tough environments. I don't know if he needs 2 good coordinators to succeed, if he does then that's a problem due to our small pocket book. But the man can build a roster and a consistent, winning culture. he was the guy I wanted before we hired Moorhead, and if Moorhead really misses a bowl game he's the only one I have confidence in to be good.

Forgot about Neil Brown. Great coach. I have a great admiration for Bill Clark given what he went through. Took UAB to their first Bowl game in over 10 years. Don't forget he's one of the reasons people didn't think much of us at first in 2014, because of the way they played us in Starkville. The program is terminated, he stays and fights to get it back. First season back he goes 8-5. This year 3-1.

The difference in Pruitt, Morris and Moorhead is that Tennessee and Arkansas had both lost the fans and the team. They had to start from ground 0. Moorhead started with what was anticipated to be a top 10 team, maybe our best of all time and is currently running it into the ground.

About Mike Leach, I don't give a 17 how we score as long as it's more than 6.5 ppg.

shoeless joe
09-30-2018, 09:00 AM
What folks undervalued was how Mullen ran the program. Everybody bitched and bitched about how he chose to play players...specifically RBs but that was all part of his program expectations. No doubt Mullen had control of the team. Folks bitched that he had too much control but we never looked unorganized and undisciplined under him.

IMO the lack of real discipline is the biggest thing this team lacks. It's showing up in our play and it's costing us.

BeastMan
No we didn’t. Some of us were smart enough to understand how great Mullen’s success was in context with our history. Only a total idiot didn’t appreciate Mullen.

Dawgs87
Lane Kiffin and Neal Brown would've taken our job

Forgot about Lane. At the time, I was #AllIn for Lane.

msstate7
09-30-2018, 09:05 AM
This board bragged all offseason about how much we upgraded and that we hired the best of any teams in the offseason. Even went so far to say Moorhead > jimbo. We a bunch of dummies

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2018, 09:06 AM
No we didn?t. Some of us were smart enough to understand how great Mullen?s success was in context with our history. Only a total idiot didn?t appreciate Mullen.

You must've been living under a rock for the past 9 months if you don't think a good portion of the fan base underestimated Mullen. Maybe not you, but many many did.

TrapGame
09-30-2018, 09:09 AM
This board bragged all offseason about how much we upgraded and that we hired the best of any teams in the offseason. Even went so far to say Moorhead > jimbo. We a bunch of dummies

That also goes for a bunch of "dummies" in sports media. The same "dummies" had Coach O fired by early October.

Dawgfan77
09-30-2018, 09:23 AM

Neal Brown
Matt Candle
Mike Norvell
Scott Saterfield
Chris Hatcher
Dana Holgerson has some interest with his ties to MS.

dawgday166
09-30-2018, 09:26 AM
I've said all along that Mullen can be very good ... WHEN he wants to be. Also when he has talent. I tried earlier before KY team to caution everyone about this when everyone was counting FL as a sure win.

Let's all not forget that when Mullen had 8 wins or more going into Egg Bowl he lost to 2 very bad OM teams, 1 decimated by injuries, and 1 very good OM team (the only 1 that was better than us of the 4).

Mullen is a very good underdog. When picked to win easily over good team (like KY this year), he will do that also. And remember HIS clock management at end of 1st half.

Hev can really coach too ... when he wants to. Both he and Mullen didn't always WANT TO.

Moorhead has come down here and guess what ... HE'S been country clubbing it. And with the team too. We have talent, but walk-through, easy practices ain't gonna cut it down here. The staff and the players all have to put in the extra time outside of practice too.

Dawg61
09-30-2018, 09:34 AM
Some of us knew Mullen was really good all along

Get 17ed. Mullen is a loser in big games vs tough coaches.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 09:36 AM
I think it's clear that we took him granted and never realized how much garbage and lack of talent he covered up.

- Last night Florida's OL can't block us. What does he do? All quick passes. Gets the ball out of the QB's hands with quick reads.

- 2010 vs Florida, has a QB that can't throw and beats Florida at the swamp without throwing in the 2nd half.

We can complain all day about why Mullen didn't recruit better but it's more than evident that he was willing to adapt his offense to the strengths and weaknesses of the team and it's clear that we never gave him enough credit for that and that JoMo May not have the ability do that.

Some of us knew all along.

smootness
09-30-2018, 09:39 AM
What folks undervalued was how Mullen ran the program. Everybody bitched and bitched about how he chose to play players...specifically RBs but that was all part of his program expectations. No doubt Mullen had control of the team. Folks bitched that he had too much control but we never looked unorganized and undisciplined under him.

IMO the lack of real discipline is the biggest thing this team lacks. It's showing up in our play and it's costing us.

They complained that he played RBs because of the way they pass blocked...now we're upset we're playing the RB who can't pass block.

BeastMan
09-30-2018, 09:42 AM
You must've been living under a rock for the past 9 months if you don't think a good portion of the fan base underestimated Mullen. Maybe not you, but many many did.

Oh I agree with that but I’m just saying it was crazy talk. Folks were fatigued with Mullen and the leaving every year rumors and it clouded judgement

dawgday166
09-30-2018, 09:44 AM
They complained that he played RBs because of the way they pass blocked...now we're upset we're playing the RB who can't pass block.

I did complain when he played Holloway over Aeris. Aeris missed assignments but when he didn't he at least tried his best to pass block and was way better than Holloway at it. Holloway didn't miss those assignments but, although he tried his best, the rusher would just swat him out of the way. You got the same result as Aeris missing an assignment ... but Aeris could gain yardage up the middle too ... which Holloway couldn't do.

Hill doesn't even try to pass block at all and he can't gain the tough yardage up the middle either.. He skeered of pass blocking tho.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 09:45 AM

Exactly. It's not just that either.

MetEdDawg
09-30-2018, 09:45 AM
Neal Brown
Matt Candle
Mike Norvell
Scott Saterfield
Chris Hatcher

If they are so good, why are they ALL still at the job they had last year? They might eventually be good, but no one knocked down their doors and said oh my God younare the missing piece.

So you think the Memphis HC, the Samford HC, the Toledo HC, the Troy HC, and the App State HC were all guaranteed to be better than this?

Holgerson wasn't coming to MSU. If you can't see how awful that list is or can't see how awful it is for you to justify that those guys guaranteed would not be in the same position then I can't help you. Before this moment right now ALL of us would take Joe Moorhead every day of the week over every one of those guys. If you are being objective you take Moorhead over every one of them.

msudawg1200
09-30-2018, 09:46 AM
I?ve never said Mullen wasn?t good, but it wasn?t anything he did special to beat us. It was the bumbling giant on our sideline that did that.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2018, 09:47 AM
Neal Brown
Matt Candle
Mike Norvell
Scott Saterfield
Chris Hatcher

Holgerson would've been just as bad because he would've changed the scheme as well.

I don't think you can make a sound argument that we should've hired another outside coach. I think the argument is if we should've just stayed in house and promoted from within, thus keeping the same schemes.

I'm under the belief that our players would've struggled with any scheme change.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 09:48 AM
Oh I agree with that but I’m just saying it was crazy talk. Folks were fatigued with Mullen and the leaving every year rumors and it clouded judgement

It's starting to look like that won't be a problem with Moorhead. I never minded those rumors. It's nice to have a coach that's in demand. That means you are winning. Unless you are one of just a handful of places those rumors will be there if you are winning.

msstate7
09-30-2018, 09:48 AM
Get 17ed. Mullen is a loser in big games vs tough coaches.

Moorhead is a loser in small games

msstate7
09-30-2018, 09:49 AM
I did complain when he played Holloway over Aeris. Aeris missed assignments but when he didn't he at least tried his best to pass block and was way better than Holloway at it. Holloway didn't miss those assignments but, although he tried his best, the rusher would just swat him out of the way. You got the same result as Aeris missing an assignment ... but Aeris could gain yardage up the middle too ... which Holloway couldn't do.

Hill doesn't even try to pass block at all and he can't gain the tough yardage up the middle either.. He skeered of pass blocking tho.

Maybe Mullen didn't play aeris then to make the aeris the player he became.

Dawgfan77
09-30-2018, 09:51 AM
If they are so good, why are they ALL still at the job they had last year? They might eventually be good, but no one knocked down their doors and said oh my God younare the missing piece.

So you think the Memphis HC, the Samford HC, the Toledo HC, the Troy HC, and the App State HC were all guaranteed to be better than this?

Holgerson wasn't coming to MSU. If you can't see how awful that list is or can't see how awful it is for you to justify that those guys guaranteed would not be in the same position then I can't help you. Before this moment right now ALL of us would take Joe Moorhead every day of the week over every one of those guys. If you are being objective you take Moorhead over every one of them.
Damn you sound like croom after the Tulane game. We have put up 400 yds in 2 games. I have no idea what those other coaches would have done but bet damn sure they would have put up more than 400 yds of offense. Hell Troy won at LSU and at Nebraska this year. App state damn near beat penn state.
I?m sure your a great guy and I respect you all I?m saying is get your head out of the sand and understand we made a bad hire

dawgday166
09-30-2018, 09:55 AM
Maybe Mullen didn't play aeris then to make the aeris the player he became.

I'm not arguing that point .. just saying that's why I complained then. The thing we lacked in '15 more than anything was a running game.

MetEdDawg
09-30-2018, 09:55 AM
Damn you sound like croom after the Tulane game. We have put up 400 yds in 2 games. I have no idea what those other coaches would have done but bet damn sure they would have put up more than 400 yds of offense. Hell Troy won at LSU and at Nebraska this year. App state damn near beat penn state.
I?m sure your a great guy and I respect you all I?m saying is get your head out of the sand and understand we made a bad hire

Then Auburn better fire Malzahn today because he's done as bad as us against worse teams. It just so happens they won because they played Arkansas and Southern Miss.

I'm not rushing to judgment after 5 games. We at least had track record of Croom before Tulane. We literally have less than half a season of Moorhead.

How many of you thought Scott Frost was a good coach? Does Nebraska all of a sudden suck that bad? I don't think so. Takes time folks. We all are shocked when other programs don't give guys time yet some were ready to cut Moorhead after 4 games.

BrunswickDawg
09-30-2018, 10:04 AM

Last 9 months? There are a lot of folks on here being quiet who wanted Mullen gone in 2013, in 2015 and after USA in 2016. I believe they coined phrases like The Country Club, Checkdown Charlie, Danny Two-Gloves, etc.

The absolute worst part of all of this is that all the people outside MSU who believe that Dan Mullen the miracle worker is the only reason MSU could win are for the moment being proven right.

BB30
09-30-2018, 10:09 AM
Then Auburn better fire Malzahn today because he's done as bad as us against worse teams. It just so happens they won because they played Arkansas and Southern Miss.

I'm not rushing to judgment after 5 games. We at least had track record of Croom before Tulane. We literally have less than half a season of Moorhead.

How many of you thought Scott Frost was a good coach? Does Nebraska all of a sudden suck that bad? I don't think so. Takes time folks. We all are shocked when other programs don't give guys time yet some were ready to cut Moorhead after 4 games.

Nebraska went 4-8 last year... We won 9 games. Nebraska is a complete rebuild, we are not.

I was one of those that felt we undervalued Mullen the last few years. Obviously if he hadn’t shopped around most years I think the fan base wouldn’t have been as frustrated with him. Is what it is. Hopefully we can get back on track.

I’m here to eat my crow. I really thought we would bounce back this week and win. This is a complete disaster.

Let’s hope our defensive players don’t pack it in for the draft. If they do it could get ugly.

I do think Moorhead could be a decent coach but we are paying for him to learn on the job and that’s not what we needed at this point. Extremely frustrating.

Coach007
09-30-2018, 10:14 AM
Don't throw me into "we all" just because you now have a revelation.

Todd4State
09-30-2018, 10:14 AM
If Joe doesn't win here he would be the first coach since the 50's to not have a winning season here. A lot of coaches can win here. And if people think a coach that didn't want to be here was going to reach our ceiling- I don't know what to tell people other than that's not right.

Dawg61
09-30-2018, 10:22 AM
Is this the losers patting themselves on the back and trying to goat C34 to return thread?

msstate7
09-30-2018, 10:25 AM
Is this the losers patting themselves on the back and trying to goat C34 to return thread?

C34 and ISID in hiding. They built this staff up to be belichick level lol

Coach007
09-30-2018, 10:26 AM
If Joe doesn't win here he would be the first coach since the 50's to not have a winning season here. A lot of coaches can win here. And if people think a coach that didn't want to be here was going to reach our ceiling- I don't know what to tell people other than that's not right.

Just because a coach has an agent who is doing his job does not mean that he does not want to be here. Is it possible, in your mind, that the agent and the coach knows how fickle a fan base can be and knows that they need to get the money while they can?

Maybe fans will learn.

Dawg61
09-30-2018, 10:28 AM
C34 and ISID in hiding. They built this staff up to be belichick level lol

They aren't returning anytime soon so why does everyone keep trying to goat them back onto the board to take some medicine?

Todd4State
09-30-2018, 10:32 AM
Just because a coach has an agent who is doing his job does not mean that he does not want to be here. Is it possible, in your mind, that the agent and the coach knows how fickle a fan base can be and knows that they need to get the money while they can?

Maybe fans will learn.

There is a right and a wrong way to do that. Dan did it the wrong way. You don't go active job seeking while your season is still going on. That's unprofessional.

And if you want to be somewhere you don't look for jobs every offseason five years in a row.

bulldawg28
09-30-2018, 10:38 AM
I am still a Mullen fan.

Coach007
09-30-2018, 10:41 AM
There is a right and a wrong way to do that. Dan did it the wrong way. You don't go active job seeking while your season is still going on. That's unprofessional.

And if you want to be somewhere you don't look for jobs every offseason five years in a row.

No he didn't. Our OWN Coach was in contact with us during the season. That's the way it actually works. That's why those that don't end up WAY behind in recruiting for a year.

Mullen is gone, and that ship has sailed. I'm just saying ya'll got your wish. Now live with the results until we either Moorhead figures it out or we replace him.

Dawg61
09-30-2018, 10:49 AM
No he didn't. Our OWN Coach was in contact with us during the season. That's the way it actually works. That's why those that don't end up WAY behind in recruiting for a year.

Mullen is gone, and that ship has sailed. I'm just saying ya'll got your wish. Now live with the results until we either Moorhead figures it out or we replace him.

Mullen let Ole Miss dog piss on our field, intentionally break our QBs ankle, intentionally try to break our backup QBs ankle, totally disrespect our fans and team for 4 quarters on Thanksgiving night and did absolutely nothing to try to stop it. He bolted on Nick without going to check on him in the hospital. He's a forever piece of dog shit for that. 17 Dan Mullen and 17 anyone patting themselves on the back trying to tell other bulldog fans "I told you so" right now. Mullen was offered $6 million dollars a year by us. That's like $12 million dollars in anywhere outside of Starkville money.

Todd4State
09-30-2018, 10:53 AM

Don't worry. You can get your wish and get Mullen back in about three years. Which would be the most MSU thing ever. I can live with the results because I know and am OK firing a failing coach at any time. Hiring Rick Ray didn't destroy our basketball program- neither will Joe destroy our football program.

And again there is a right and a wrong way to handle changing jobs. Dan handled it the wrong way. And if he was still here this season would have ended much the same way as 2014-2017.

Todd4State
09-30-2018, 10:55 AM
Mullen let Ole Miss dog piss on our field, intentionally break our QBs ankle, intentionally try to break our backup QBs ankle, totally disrespect our fans and team for 4 quarters on Thanksgiving night and did absolutely nothing to try to stop it. He bolted on Nick without going to check on him in the hospital. He's a forever piece of dog shit for that. 17 Dan Mullen and 17 anyone patting themselves on the back trying to tell other bulldog fans "I told you so" right now. Mullen was offered $6 million dollars a year by us. That's like $12 million dollars in anywhere outside of Starkville money.

But you fans don't get it.**

Joe may not be the answer. But as far as growing our program Dan wasn't the answer anymore either.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2018, 11:01 AM

Joe may not be the answer. But as far as growing our program Dan wasn't the answer anymore either.

I actually agree with this.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 11:09 AM
Don't worry. You can get your wish and get Mullen back in about three years. Which would be the most MSU thing ever. I can live with the results because I know and am OK firing a failing coach at any time. Hiring Rick Ray didn't destroy our basketball program- neither will Joe destroy our football program.

And again there is a right and a wrong way to handle changing jobs. Dan handled it the wrong way. And if he was still here this season would have ended much the same way as 2014-2017.

If you hope he won't win at Florida you are going to be very disappointed.

msstate7
09-30-2018, 11:10 AM
I actually agree with this.

We hit our ceiling under Mullen. We may not hit it again for a long time

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 11:11 AM
I?ve never said Mullen wasn?t good, but it wasn?t anything he did special to beat us. It was the bumbling giant on our sideline that did that.

They totally changed their approach at half time. Florida was a train wreck last year. They aren't good now, but the improvement is remarkable.

Dawgs87
09-30-2018, 11:13 AM
Nebraska went 4-8 last year... We won 9 games. Nebraska is a complete rebuild, we are not.

I was one of those that felt we undervalued Mullen the last few years. Obviously if he hadn?t shopped around most years I think the fan base wouldn?t have been as frustrated with him. Is what it is. Hopefully we can get back on track.

I?m here to eat my crow. I really thought we would bounce back this week and win. This is a complete disaster.

Let?s hope our defensive players don?t pack it in for the draft. If they do it could get ugly.

I do think Moorhead could be a decent coach but we are paying for him to learn on the job and that?s not what we needed at this point. Extremely frustrating.

I come off as a pessimist, but i'm a realist. I feel certain they will pack it in after yesterday. What incentive do they have? We already know Sweat and Simmons will be 1st rounders. Why would they risk getting injured playing their hearts out for a crappy team. I'm sure that love State, but not enough to risk millions of dollars. Think Jadaveon Clowney and Leonard Fournette. We live in an incentive based, "What have you done for me lately?" society.

Like Boobie said vs Kentucky in his post game:

https://i.postimg.cc/dVt7YPwd/boobie.gif

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 11:18 AM

Growing a program from where we came from was never going to be a straight shot up. Mullen got us to where we were bowling in down years. The trajectory for the program was still going up.

Spiderman
09-30-2018, 11:18 AM

No, we all didn't

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 11:20 AM

What kind of rock do you live under? Good grief. If that were the case nobody in any field would ever change jobs as long as they had one.

Todd4State
09-30-2018, 11:23 AM
If you hope he won't win at Florida you are going to be very disappointed.

Win in terms of what he did here? Yes he will. The problem is he actually has to win championships there and that's where he will fail. 9-3 with a loss to Georgia simply isn't acceptable there. At MSU that gets you a 6 million dollar extension.

Dawg61
09-30-2018, 11:25 AM
Growing a program from where we came from was never going to be a straight shot up. Mullen got us to where we were bowling in down years. The trajectory for the program was still going up.

He left on his own dude that means he wasn't the answer anymore. We offered him $6 million dollars. That's almost 3x what Joe is getting. He barely beat Joe and we could only muster 200 yards of offense. Hell Mullen doesn't even beat Joe if Osirus could catch a damn wide open touchdown. Mullen is still gonna skull****ed by Georgia and LSU every single year and he'll lose more than he should to Kentucky and Missouri. He can ride 9-4 seasons there for awhile but eventually they will get hungry for more just like we did only much faster. It's the nature of the beast.

Todd4State
09-30-2018, 11:27 AM
What kind of rock do you live under? Good grief. If that were the case nobody in any field would ever change jobs as long as they had one.

Hiring is part of my job duties at work. People can change jobs and there is nothing wrong with that. But as I have said there is a right and wrong way to do it. Dan literally did everything wrong. You don't actively admit to seeking jobs if you have one already which he did by not denying that he was talking to people. At most places you get fired for that. We tried to give him a raise.

And then when you leave a place on good terms you don't give your team a two minute "well, bye" speech.

Todd4State
09-30-2018, 11:31 AM

He didn't do anything that Jackie didn't. And Jackie won more games and a SEC West Title.

Dawg2003
09-30-2018, 11:33 AM

I thought maybe Mullen hit his ceiling, but I'm not at all convinced that the program itself hit its ceiling under Mullen. Football is just so much different than baseball or basketball as far as chances to win a natty. We are also severely disadvantaged at recruiting because we have to go against Ole Miss, Bama, and LSU. Auburn and LSU recruit at a much higher level than us and still go 8-4. They still struggle to get an SEC Championship. It's just so much less fluid with who can actually win a championship in football.

Dawg2003
09-30-2018, 11:34 AM
Win in terms of what he did here? Yes he will. The problem is he actually has to win championships there and that's where he will fail. 9-3 with a loss to Georgia simply isn't acceptable there. At MSU that gets you a 6 million dollar extension.

I think he is capable of winning a natty at FL. I guess we'll see in the coming years. Either way, he wanted to try.

Todd4State
09-30-2018, 11:41 AM
I think he is capable of winning a natty at FL. I guess we'll see in the coming years. Either way, he wanted to try.

I think he is capable from a potential standpoint but he has too many issues that I doubt he will change that will allow him to do it.

Coach007
09-30-2018, 11:45 AM

Oh? so Mullen let them break his ankle? Are you listening to what you are saying? He did check on Nick. Stop with the crap.

The fact is people got their wish. Now we have to either choose as fans to support the current coach or again actively seek to replace him.

Coach007
09-30-2018, 11:49 AM
They totally changed their approach at half time. Florida was a train wreck last year. They aren't good now, but the improvement is remarkable.

Grantham has majorly improved that defense. They are now at #19 in defense. If people don't see the improvements on their offense, they are blinded by misplaced hate for Mullen

smootness
09-30-2018, 11:49 AM
I think he is capable from a potential standpoint but he has too many issues that I doubt he will change that will allow him to do it.

Or maybe what we saw as issues won't be the same problem at Florida that they were here.

Dawg61
09-30-2018, 11:52 AM
Oh? so Mullen let them break his ankle? Are you listening to what you are saying? He did check on Nick. Stop with the crap.

The fact is people got their wish. Now we have to either choose as fans to support the current coach or again actively seek to replace him.

I didn't see Mullen fighting for our team that night. I saw him bend over and take it from OM & Luke and then walk out on his team and seriously injured QB a day later.

Dawg61
09-30-2018, 11:53 AM
Grantham has majorly improved that defense. They are now at #19 in defense. If people don't see the improvements on their offense, they are blinded by misplaced hate for Mullen

Lol they've played Kentucky and us with our currently most dysfunctional offense in all of P5 football.

Coach007
09-30-2018, 11:56 AM
Hiring is part of my job duties at work. People can change jobs and there is nothing wrong with that. But as I have said there is a right and wrong way to do it. Dan literally did everything wrong. You don't actively admit to seeking jobs if you have one already which he did by not denying that he was talking to people. At most places you get fired for that. We tried to give him a raise.

And then when you leave a place on good terms you don't give your team a two minute "well, bye" speech.

That's 100% not true. My wife had a returning contract every year and still went to all interviews set up for her.

You are showing the proof of why people in these types of positions do what they do. If he never took interviews, then 2 things happen:

1- People stop calling as often.

2- Once fans turn (like you) their value decreases and that effects them personally.

None of that means that they did not and will not do their jobs. If they didn't, then their value drops. If you don't value yourself, nobody else will either. That is the nature of this business.

Commercecomet24
09-30-2018, 11:58 AM
Look Mullen is a good coach, no doubt about it. Wish he would've stayed but he didn't want to be here for several years now. We didn't fire him. He left. He was given big money, facilities and support here. He left, he's gone and not coming back. Whether you like him or not, Everyone needs to move on. We got problems that have to be fixed here NOW!

Coach007
09-30-2018, 11:58 AM
Or maybe what we saw as issues won't be the same problem at Florida that they were here.

+1

Coach007
09-30-2018, 12:00 PM
Look Mullen is a good coach, no doubt about it. Wish he would've stayed but he didn't want to be here for several years now. We didn't fire him. He left. He was given big money, facilities and support here. He left, he's gone and not coming back. Whether you like him or not, Everyone needs to move on. We got problems that have to be fixed here NOW!

+1

It's just a shame to see fans still blaming Mullen.... for winning here.

Todd4State
09-30-2018, 12:02 PM
That's 100% not true. My wife had a returning contract every year and still went to all interviews set up for her.

You are showing the proof of why people in these types of positions do what they do. If he never took interviews, then 2 things happen:

1- People stop calling as often.

2- Once fans turn (like you) their value decreases and that effects them personally.

None of that means that they did not and will not do their jobs. If they didn't, then their value drops. If you don't value yourself, nobody else will either. That is the nature of this business.

Did your wife tell the people she had a contract with that she was interviewing with other jobs? That's a poor strategy even if it happened to work out for her because it could have burned her with the contract company.

It's not about valuing yourself. It's about being ethical and having class. Something Dan miserably failed at during his job seeking.

And nowhere did I ever say that he shouldn't take interviews. Just take them after the regular season is over.

Todd4State
09-30-2018, 12:07 PM
+1

It's just a shame to see fans still blaming Mullen.... for winning here.

No one is blaming Dan for winning here. We're blaming him for not giving 100% when he was working here. How dare we fans expect that from a coach?

BuckyIsAB****
09-30-2018, 12:07 PM

You guys are acting like the ex who thought he wasnt good enough. Mullen is still Mullen. He just outcoached a guy who is incapable of doing it guys.

I couldve outcoached Moorhead last night if all I had to do was throw perimeter game. I do agree he did what his guys can do and not what he wants to do. Moorhead is too smart for that

BuckyIsAB****
09-30-2018, 12:12 PM
Holgerson would've been just as bad because he would've changed the scheme as well.

I don't think you can make a sound argument that we should've hired another outside coach. I think the argument is if we should've just stayed in house and promoted from within, thus keeping the same schemes.

I'm under the belief that our players would've struggled with any scheme change.

Who would you have promoted? Grantham? Knox? Hevesy?

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 12:18 PM
You are going to be disappointed. He will win at least the SEC there.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 12:19 PM
He left on his own dude that means he wasn't the answer anymore. We offered him $6 million dollars. That's almost 3x what Joe is getting. He barely beat Joe and we could only muster 200 yards of offense. Hell Mullen doesn't even beat Joe if Osirus could catch a damn wide open touchdown. Mullen is still gonna skull****ed by Georgia and LSU every single year and he'll lose more than he should to Kentucky and Missouri. He can ride 9-4 seasons there for awhile but eventually they will get hungry for more just like we did only much faster. It's the nature of the beast.

I never said he didn't. As usual you are making up stuff to argue against.

Coach007
09-30-2018, 12:19 PM
Did your wife tell the people she had a contract with that she was interviewing with other jobs? That's a poor strategy even if it happened to work out for her because it could have burned her with the contract company.

It's not about valuing yourself. It's about being ethical and having class. Something Dan miserably failed at during his job seeking.

And nowhere did I ever say that he shouldn't take interviews. Just take them after the regular season is over.

1- It's not an issue to interview. Never has been. You are the one making it an issue.

2- It's not a bad strategy. It's needed.

3- It's 100% about valuing yourself. All one has to do is come to a message board like this and you will see exactly why. At any point, a person under contract can be fired. a large portion of the fans base already wants Moorhead fired.

4- There is nothing unethical about interviewing

5- There is nothing classless about interviewing.

Again, you prove my point over and over. What you are saying is that a personal does not have the right to be valued. If a person in this position sucks it up for 2 years and that GREAT contract is bought out, what does that person do? Forced into a lesser job because they lost the fan base which pays the bills. You are the proof of why. A winning coach can be put now on the hot seat these days. If you don't like that, then you can call a meeting of all colleges and say from here on out, a coach can not be fired or bought out if they suck.

6- Take them after the season is over? LMAO! Most jobs are filled. BTW... OUR OWN JOMO didn't.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2018, 12:20 PM
Romo quote today is dead nuts on.

https://twitter.com/jonmachota/status/1046445853219663872?s=21

Todd4State
09-30-2018, 12:21 PM

We'll see. It won't be this year for sure. And I don't see him beating Smart.

Coach007
09-30-2018, 12:23 PM
No one is blaming Dan for winning here. We're blaming him for not giving 100% when he was working here. How dare we fans expect that from a coach?

Interviewing does not equal NOT giving their 100%.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 12:24 PM
He didn't do anything that Jackie didn't. And Jackie won more games and a SEC West Title.

Yes he did. Jackie never got us to Number One. JWS never went to 9 straight bowls. Jackie also had several 3 win seasons, Mullen never did. The SEC was much easier back then too. Mullen coached here during what will be seen as THE Golden Age of SEC football. Jackie also didn't leave on his on either. We hadn't had a football coach since the 50s to do that. Mullen had a better win % too.

Todd4State
09-30-2018, 12:27 PM
1- It's not an issue to interview. Never has been. You are the one making it an issue.

2- It's not a bad strategy. It's needed.

3- It's 100% about valuing yourself. All one has to do is come to a message board like this and you will see exactly why. At any point, a person under contract can be fired. a large portion of the fans base already wants Moorhead fired.

4- There is nothing unethical about interviewing

5- There is nothing classless about interviewing.

Again, you prove my point over and over. What you are saying is that a personal does not have the right to be valued. If a person in this position sucks it up for 2 years and that GREAT contract is bought out, what does that person do? Forced into a lesser job because they lost the fan base which pays the bills. You are the proof of why. If you don't like that, then you can call a meeting of all colleges and say from here on out, a coach can not be fired or bought out if they suck.

6- Take them after the season is over? LMAO! Most jobs are filled. BTW... OUR OWN JOMO didn't.

And you're still missing the point. There is nothing wrong with interviewing. I never said there was. But it is wrong and unethical to publically do so when you are a football coach and your season is still going on. There is a right and wrong way to do it.

Joe didn't publically say that he was looking for jobs when he was at Penn State. You are completely and utterly clueless on this which is why you are trying to make up reasons why it is somehow right for a coach to treat us wrong. Which ironically shows how little you value MSU.

Really Clark?
09-30-2018, 12:30 PM
And you're still missing the point. There is nothing wrong with interviewing. I never said there was. But it is wrong and unethical to publically do so when you are a football coach and your season is still going on. There is a right and wrong way to do it.

Joe didn't publically say that he was looking for jobs when he was at Penn State. You are completely and utterly clueless on this which is why you are trying to make up reasons why it is somehow right for a coach to treat us wrong. Which ironically shows how little you value MSU.

Wait? He publicly announced he was interviewing with other schools?

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 12:31 PM
Interviewing does not equal NOT giving their 100%.

Exactly right. I always thought that whole argument was just hilarious.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 12:32 PM

Mullen never actively admitted that. You are just making that up.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 12:34 PM

Do you interview people that are currently employed. Given your stance here I assume you only interview the unemployed.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 12:36 PM
We'll see. It won't be this year for sure. And I don't see him beating Smart.

Of course he wont. Florida is a total rebuild. Our job WASN'T, but Florida is going to do better than we will.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 12:39 PM
I didn't see Mullen fighting for our team that night. I saw him bend over and take it from OM & Luke and then walk out on his team and seriously injured QB a day later.

Dude, he was all over the refs after the Rebs's hit men committed felony assault on Fitz. I was at the game and saw it with my own eyes. That's one of those narritives that got started by TV fans. Just stop.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 12:41 PM
Lol they've played Kentucky and us with our currently most dysfunctional offense in all of P5 football.

They are still much better than they were last year. Y'all are just blinded by irrational hate.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 12:45 PM

So there were cameras at the interviews were there? Mullen said so too? Got a link. This is hilarious.

Dawg61
09-30-2018, 12:52 PM

Hahahaha you think Mullen is gonna get to Atlanta and beat Bama. No that is never happening. Saban coaching till he's 140 is more likely than that.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 12:55 PM
Hahahaha you think Mullen is gonna get to Atlanta and beat Bama. No that is never happening. Saban coaching till he's 140 is more likely than that.

He won't beat Saban, but Saban won't be there that much longer. He will get to Atlanta at Florida if they for once allow a rebuild to happen. That was a BAD football team last year.

Dawg61
09-30-2018, 01:26 PM
He won't beat Saban, but Saban won't be there that much longer. He will get to Atlanta at Florida if they for once allow a rebuild to happen. That was a BAD football team last year.

Mullen will be lucky to go 8-4 this year. 7-5 is possible if FSU figures it out by the end of the year. He ain't beating UGA, LSU or Mizzou.

BuckyIsAB****
09-30-2018, 01:33 PM

If Mullen wins the SEC at UF I will never post again

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 01:43 PM
Mullen will be lucky to go 8-4 this year. 7-5 is possible if FSU figures it out by the end of the year. He ain't beating UGA, LSU or Mizzou.

Both of which would be a dramatic improvement.

Bothrops
09-30-2018, 01:53 PM
Yes, Mullen was mostly good, but he gone. It's not like we ran him off, he left because he wanted to. We did what we had to do from there and that's make a hire from a small group of candidates.

Dawg61
09-30-2018, 02:33 PM
Both of which would be a dramatic improvement.

From an interim coach not from McElwain it isn't.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 03:18 PM
From an interim coach not from McElwain it isn't.

It is an improvement from last year. I know that upsets you.

Todd4State
09-30-2018, 03:38 PM
Wait? He publicly announced he was interviewing with other schools?

He never denied that he was looking around when he was asked. He said "If a better opportunity comes along you have to look at it."

Also see my post below.

Todd4State
09-30-2018, 03:45 PM
So there were cameras at the interviews were there? Mullen said so too? Got a link. This is hilarious.

"I'm not talking about any of that," Mullen said, via the Clarion Ledger. "Every year I come here, every single year, you guys ask me the same questions. I'm not going to waste my time commenting on rumors on the Internet."

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/12/mississippi_states_dan_mullen_8.html

By not talking about it he basically left the door open that he could leave. This comment alone hurt us in recruiting for two years- and this was the same offseason we lost Lashley and AJ Brown FWIW.

Dawg61
09-30-2018, 04:30 PM
It is an improvement from last year. I know that upsets you.

Not at all. I never said he wouldn't do better than an interim.

Really Clark?
09-30-2018, 04:48 PM
"I'm not talking about any of that," Mullen said, via the Clarion Ledger. "Every year I come here, every single year, you guys ask me the same questions. I'm not going to waste my time commenting on rumors on the Internet."

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/12/mississippi_states_dan_mullen_8.html

By not talking about it he basically left the door open that he could leave. This comment alone hurt us in recruiting for two years- and this was the same offseason we lost Lashley and AJ Brown FWIW.

Outside media even applauded his response to job rumors

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/mississippi-state-bulldogs-dan-mullen-coaching-job-rumors-112315

Even late this past season his response was on target

http://www.starkvilledailynews.com/content/mullen-again-addresses-rumors-about-other-jobs

He answered those rumors as well as any other sitting HC, and those responses are what?s public. Sorry but you are stretching the public addressing of jobs being an issue

Todd4State
09-30-2018, 04:52 PM
Outside media even applauded his response to job rumors

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/mississippi-state-bulldogs-dan-mullen-coaching-job-rumors-112315

He answered those rumors as well as any other sitting HC, and those responses are what’s public

Are you telling me that my link from an Alabama newspaper quoting Dan from the Clarion-Ledger isn't "public"?

He did start to answer that question better after he hired Sexton- but of course that was AFTER my article and by then the damage was done to the point where no one outside of the delusional like Liverpool actually believed it.

Really Clark?
09-30-2018, 05:03 PM
Are you telling me that my link from an Alabama newspaper quoting Dan from the Clarion-Ledger isn't "public"?

He did start to answer that question better after he hired Sexton- but of course that was AFTER my article and by then the damage was done to the point where no one outside of the delusional like Liverpool actually believed it.

The Fox article I linked was Before the article you linked. And if that was your idea of an indictment of how he should talk about job rumors, completely disagree that his comments meant he was publicly looking at other jobs. Did not get that at all.

Coach007
10-01-2018, 01:32 AM

That is not saying "HEY!! I'M LOOKING FOR A JOB ELSE WHERE!

Coach007
10-01-2018, 01:35 AM
The Fox article I linked was Before the article you linked. And if that was your idea of an indictment of how he should talk about job rumors, completely disagree that his comments meant he was publicly looking at other jobs. Did not get that at all.

Correct. His response was due to the question being asked on a regular basis. I was happy with his response. Why? Because it was like the media was saying "why the hell would you want to be in Starkville, Ms"

Pit Bull
10-01-2018, 02:31 AM

I always thought Mullen was good. The difference between him at UF and JoMo at PennState is TWO National Championship rings. Kind of a big difference if you ask me. Now, I didn't think Mullen was a great coach. He said early on when someone asked him how long he would stay at MSU....."when it gets to the point where he realized he could not win a Championship at MSU". Apparently, he finally realized that in 2014 when he got us to #1 with Dak and still couldn't win it.

Pit Bull
10-01-2018, 02:36 AM
Mike Norvell would have been very intriguing to me. What he's done at Memphis and their paltry talent, makes me wonder what he could have done with our current talent.

Todd4State
10-01-2018, 07:02 AM

You can take it however it makes you feel better. However the reality is our very own athletic administration and President took it the same way I did. As did opposing coaches who use it against us in recruiting. Hence why he wasn't given an extension after an eight win season. And there is a reason why they interpreted it that way. A very good reason.

As I said no denial is the same as coming up and saying I'm looking around.

Todd4State
10-01-2018, 07:03 AM
Correct. His response was due to the question being asked on a regular basis. I was happy with his response. Why? Because it was like the media was saying "why the hell would you want to be in Starkville, Ms"

No it was because he thought he was going to Miami.

Really Clark?
10-01-2018, 08:03 AM
You can take it however it makes you feel better. However the reality is our very own athletic administration and President took it the same way I did. As did opposing coaches who use it against us in recruiting. Hence why he wasn't given an extension after an eight win season. And there is a reason why they interpreted it that way. A very good reason.

As I said no denial is the same as coming up and saying I'm looking around.

You said he “publicly” stated he was interviewing for other jobs. Nothing you linked remotely alludes to something being public. That is what I questioned from your OP. He never went public

Liverpooldawg
10-01-2018, 08:21 AM
Todd, none of that even remotely says Mullen publically said he was looking for another job. You just made it up and ran with it like it was fact. He NEVER came out and said he was looking for another job in public. Our fans sometimes.... There were rumors every single year because Mullen was winning at MSU and he was a young up and comer. He undoubtedly was being looked at every single year by bigger programs. The only one we know he interviewed with for SURE is Florida. Here is a news flash for you: if Moorhead somehow rights this ship and starts wining, you are going to hear the same rumors about HIM. If he keeps losing your problem is solved, no rumors then and we can keep him forever if we want. I always thought that being pissed about those rumors was stupid. It meant we had a good coach and were winning.