PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals outfielders

HereComesTheSpiral
10-14-2013, 09:00 PM
Can they just not catch a fly ball at Dodger Stadium?

Todd4State
10-14-2013, 09:06 PM
That is all about the center fielder NOT communicating and that is unacceptable at the MLB level. The biggest injury the Cardinals had was to Oscar Taveras. He would be starting in CF for the Cardinals right now- and he is superior to Jon Jay in pretty much every area except maybe range. And that's debatable- and not enough to keep Jay out there in the lineup. I'd much rather have Jay coming off the bench than start. Jay> Shane Robison as a fourth outfielder.

The last play wasn't Jay's fault so much as the other in terms of being a mental mistake- he just couldn't quite get to the ball.

HereComesTheSpiral
10-14-2013, 09:16 PM
Last one was going to be hard to get to, but the one that dropped between him and Beltran was just pathetic.

Todd4State
10-14-2013, 09:26 PM
Last one was going to be hard to get to, but the one that dropped between him and Beltran was just pathetic.

The first hit that Carpenter almost caught- Jay has to help him out there too. I think Carpenter pulled up on that because he either didn't know where Jay was because he wasn't talking to him or because Jay called him off and then realized he couldn't get it. Jay had communication issues in game one as well- and that was at his home field. Thank God Carlos Beltran pretty much told him to get the f*** out of the way so he could throw out Ellis and save the game.

And that may be part of the problem- Beltran is really a CF that doesn't have the range to play CF anymore. But because of who he is- a younger player has to respect him, and that may compromise Jay's authority a little bit. Regardless- Jay has to take the bull by the horns and take over because that is what he is supposed to do- I don't care if he has Willie Mays and Ken Griffey, Jr. flanking him.

HereComesTheSpiral
10-14-2013, 09:38 PM
I hope this isn't the start of a 3-1 meltdown like last year. This game has just been bad. Shitty base running, miscommunication in the outfield. Just bad.

Todd4State
10-14-2013, 10:05 PM
Not a good night- but one thing to remember about dropping a 3-1 lead- unlike last year, they have to come back to St. Louis to win. That's a BIG difference.