PDA

View Full Version : Random theory - our secondary screwed with Moorhead's head

Irondawg
09-30-2018, 12:00 AM
All the talk in the offseason was about how going against such a strong DL in practice would make us better.

However, i think going against a weaker secondary has hurt us. The only rationale I can come up with for some of the stuff we are running is that it's open in practice and Joe is now realizing that other secondaries are way better than ours so guys aren't as open and reads aren't as clear.

I just can't imagine that if we looked in the spring like we've looked the last two weeks that these would be the SEC gameplans. I just can't imagine he become incompetent at offense overnight.

Todd4State
09-30-2018, 12:02 AM
My theory:

Fitz didn't put in enough time with the offense and the receivers like he should.

Our WR's are not that good and can't catch 100 MPH fastballs.

No one realized how shitty our tackles were at pass blocking.

Irondawg
09-30-2018, 12:08 AM
But that same OL wasn't bad pass protection last year. But both QB's when they are missing are missing by 5 yards and that's happening often. Fitz is also throwing off his back foot a ton and not stepping into throws with confidence.

Quaoarsking
09-30-2018, 12:13 AM
Theory: Fitz and our OL have never run an offense like this and just can't do it. Maybe they actually could and just don't believe that they can.

Moorhead's career now hinges on either Keytaon or Shrader being able to halfway competently run it in 2019, or I doubt he'll be our head coach in 2020. To be fair, this offense was run masterfully at Penn State, so it's entirely possible that one of them does it really well and we all love Moorhead by 2020.

dawgday166
09-30-2018, 12:15 AM
I think the WHOLE problem revolves around effort and toughness during practices, film rooms, etc. Moorhead ain't being near demanding enough, and the guys aren't working that hard ... including film study.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 12:17 AM
I think the WHOLE problem revolves around effort and toughness during practices, film rooms, etc. Moorhead ain't being near demanding enough, and the guys aren't working that hard ... including film study.

I've heard this as well. This offense can be good, but it ain't going to work this year, and I don't think it will next year either, unless we have a miraculous recruiting year with every offensive recruit being perfect for it.

Dawgs87
09-30-2018, 12:18 AM
My theory:

Fitz didn't put in enough time with the offense and the receivers like he should.

The tackles woudn't be a problem if we let our RBs RTGDFB. How many times do we need to revisit this?

Dawgs87
09-30-2018, 12:21 AM
I've heard this as well. This offense can be good, but it ain't going to work this year, and I don't think it will next year either, unless we have a miraculous recruiting year with every offensive recruit being perfect for it.

My opinion is Fitz is playing like a guy that only got recruited by Don and MTSU. And since we are not giving our RBs carries and Fitz has 36 for 52 yards over the last 2 games and is under 50% completions. I mean what do you expect?

It's not rocket science or the Da Vinci code. Compare to last years offense. Go look at the Box Scores. RBs got significantly more carries.

dawgday166
09-30-2018, 12:22 AM

I was sold on the PSU offense. Not so sure now and it's not because of what we're doing with it. In SEC, you gotta be able to run the ball up the middle and pound it some. Especially when eating a clock to win a game.

If Moorhead could get it to where we can do both, that would be good. But I think he may love explosive plays too much to do that. I like them too but ... so did Freeze. And he always lost a couple of games cause they couldn't run the ball.

Todd4State
09-30-2018, 12:22 AM
The tackles woudn't be a problem if we let our RBs RTGDFB. How many times do we need to revisit this?

I guess it's too much to ask an OT from Mississippi to pass block because they are only smart enough to run block.**

Dawgs87
09-30-2018, 12:24 AM
I guess it's too much to ask an OT from Mississippi to pass block because they are only smart enough to run block.**

That's a silly and undignified response. The other team's ends wouldn't be able to T off every play because they already know we aren't going to run was more my line of reasoning. Interesting that you went there.

Think about it. 26 passes and 20 rushes from the QB. We only ran 58 plays and they didn't need to bother stopping a RB carry on 46 of them.
Speaking of which, if you look at Fitz's rushing stats you wouldn't think they know how to run block either. But, the RB rushing stats says that they do.

duncflydawg
09-30-2018, 12:52 AM
I’m just not sure Fitz is smart enough to run this offense. Time for Key, it really can’t get worse.

BuckyIsAB****
09-30-2018, 03:18 AM
My theory:

Yea blame Fitz for not being able to pass it when we knew coming in we werent a passing team. Yall are killing me. I promise you a week before the season started had yall known that in week 5 we would be 3-2 and look like hot garbage on offense against UK and UF yall would be on the fire Moorhead wagon real quick.

I just love how now we have all these player problems. Moorhead is a failure and looks totally lost. He's a loser

tcdog70
09-30-2018, 09:12 AM
My opinion is Fitz is playing like a guy that only got recruited by Don and MTSU. And since we are not giving our RBs carries and Fitz has 36 for 52 yards over the last 2 games and is under 50% completions. I mean what do you expect?

It's not rocket science or the Da Vinci code. Compare to last years offense. Go look at the Box Scores. RBs got significantly more carries.

The running backs got more carries because we didn't have many 3 and outs. Last year we ran more plays. Now we are passing more and suckin more.

Political Hack
09-30-2018, 09:30 AM
Fitz played pretty well last night. Dropped passes and too many QB draw calls killed us.

Lord McBuckethead
09-30-2018, 09:52 AM
Well since I have not seen but maybe 3 plays this year where our coverage was as tight as every other sec secondary, this is plausible. I mean our guys run with WR giving them a 5 yard cushion at all times. Always late to the ball because 15 feet is a ways to make up.

basedog
09-30-2018, 09:57 AM
Fitz played pretty well last night. Dropped passes and too many QB draw calls killed us.

I must have watched a different Msu team play last night as I didn't see any offensive players have a good game. Maybe A Train with 3 carriers for 31 yards!

Dawgs87
09-30-2018, 09:59 AM

41% completions for 81 yards, 20 carries for 32 yards (1.8 ypc), 202 yards total offense, and 6 points is playing pretty well? Sorry, but I will never adopt that standard of pretty well. In my opinion that would be playing pretty well for the left bench position, not a 5th year 3 year starting SEC QB with hype.

There might have ben 2 or 3 dropped passes. There were not 15. There were more passes thrown skipping across the field than were dropped.

dawgs
09-30-2018, 10:06 AM

The Mitchell drop was huge and there was another drop or 2, but fitz didn't play well. He was missing guys way more than they were dropping them. I know we don't have the WRs that can really be difference makers but it doesn't matter if the ball is skipping along the dirt by the time it reaches them or is 5 feet behind them or 5 feet over their head.