PDA

View Full Version : Baseball stadium:

MsStateBaseball
10-14-2013, 08:32 PM
Does anyone know the cost of stadium in 1987?

HoopsDawg
10-14-2013, 08:42 PM
No, I wish we could start from scratch and still preserve the LFL.

messageboardsuperhero
10-14-2013, 08:50 PM
No, I wish we could start from scratch and still preserve the LFL.

Why can't we start from scratch on the grandstand but leave LFL intact? I see absolutely no reason why this shouldn't be possible. In fact, that's exactly what I'm hoping they do.

messageboardsuperhero
10-14-2013, 08:50 PM
I'm not sure what it costed. I'd be interested to know though.

bully99
10-14-2013, 08:56 PM
Don't quote me, but I remember about 3 million, but they reduced the project because of lack of money. The original plan called for a visiting team clubhouse and several other things. Like I've said before the project was done on the cheap to keep Ron Polk here.

messageboardsuperhero
10-14-2013, 08:59 PM
Don't quote me, but I remember about 3 million, but they reduced the project because of lack of money. The original plan called for a visiting team clubhouse and several other things. Like I've said before the project was done on the cheap to keep Ron Polk here.

Even more reason to tear it down. It's nothing more than a poorly designed hunk of concrete and would be a terrible base for any future expansion.

Todd4State
10-14-2013, 09:01 PM
Per my 1995 media guide that I dug out of my archives- it cost 3.5 million for the granstand in 1987. That doesn't include however much it cost to put in the skyboxes in 1997, and I don't think they did anything to the field, the fence, the LFL, or the scoreboard.

They simply moved the bleachers in from somewhere (Scott Field?) else, and that saved some cost I'm sure.

Esmerelda Villalobos
10-14-2013, 09:04 PM
I believe it was around 3.3 million at the time.

TheRef
10-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Can I just say I'm loving the pitchers' suggestions. Here are my two favorites:

@Jholder14: Actual 20ft flames around the field everytime a pitching change is made #DNF

@bbrace4: A horse and chariot to retrieve every entering pitcher from the bullpen. #DNF

CadaverDawg
10-14-2013, 09:10 PM

@Jholder14: Actual 20ft flames around the field everytime a pitching change is made #DNF

@bbrace4: A horse and chariot to retrieve every entering pitcher from the bullpen. #DNF

That is good stuff

Todd4State
10-14-2013, 09:17 PM

Sounds like they are ripping off Kenny Powers Mexican League entrance- and that is a very good thing.

My favorite part of the Powers entrance is the visiting players coughing in their smoke filled dugout.

bully99
10-14-2013, 09:17 PM
The bleachers came from the football field. My recollection is the project was on verge of collapse when the city of Starkville stepped in at the last minute to guarantee the bonds. That's when they project was reduced in size.

MsStateBaseball
10-14-2013, 09:24 PM
Well then we got our money's worth out of it. Now we need a 30 million one, we will get our money back w all the championships.

Todd4State
10-14-2013, 09:28 PM
The bleachers came from the football field. My recollection is the project was on verge of collapse when the city of Starkville stepped in at the last minute to guarantee the bonds. That's when they project was reduced in size.

Back in black...

TheRef
10-14-2013, 09:31 PM
@DHerrington
@HailStateBB @Jholder14 parachutes in for every save situation with an American flag on his back and bald eagles circling the mound. #DNF

Dear Scott Stricklin,

Make this happen.

Sincerely,
Every MSU fan ever.

messageboardsuperhero
10-14-2013, 09:42 PM
Well then we got our money's worth out of it. Now we need a 30 million one, we will get our money back w all the championships.

This X1000^^^

Belegal
10-14-2013, 09:45 PM
I like to sit in a lawn chair in right field and let my grand kids play- in the 80's my son use to climb the trees in the outfield- good times!!!

FFF
10-14-2013, 09:47 PM

Just as a matter of perspective, in 1987 $3.5MM was an ENORMOUS amount of money for any college baseball stadium. It was, in no way, "done on the cheap."

bully99
10-14-2013, 10:11 PM
Sorry pal, the project was done as cheaply as could be to meet minimum requirements to keep Polk at State. Many things were cut out to reduce costs.

FFF
10-14-2013, 10:26 PM
$3.5MM was still a lot of money to spend on a stadium in a sport most schools didn't give a shit about in 1987. It was an impressive structure in it's time... unfortunately, it did not take too long for it to become outdated because it wasn't designed to adapt. To me, that's the most unfortunate part.

messageboardsuperhero
10-14-2013, 10:33 PM
$3.5MM was still a lot of money to spend on a stadium in a sport most schools didn't give a shit about in 1987. It was an impressive structure in it's time... unfortunately, it did not take too long for it to become outdated because it wasn't designed to adapt. To me, that's the most unfortunate part.

Exactly. It was poorly designed, and had little-to-no foresight when it comes to future expansion. Renovating just doesn't make sense, as the design is terrible and will always be second rate no matter how much lipstick we put on it. DNF grandstand served its purpose, but now it's simply time to start over.

Bark
10-14-2013, 10:41 PM

30 is shooting to low. To put us at the top it's going to run us at least $40

engie
10-14-2013, 10:43 PM
Sorry pal, the project was done as cheaply as could be to meet minimum requirements to keep Polk at State. Many things were cut out to reduce costs.

It's hard to say that -- when it was the best college baseball stadium in the country for 15 years.

Baum was a superior design in it's initial form -- but it didn't become a superior stadium until they extended it down the foul lines...

bully99
10-14-2013, 10:57 PM
The worst thing they did was cut down the trees in behind center and right field. It was a great background and provided shade. Also the right field area was a berm type area where people brought chairs and blankets to sit on and was very popular with families and kids who didn't want to be involved in the mish mash of the lounge.

mjh94
10-15-2013, 11:59 AM
To get a perspective, $3.5MM in 1987 is equal to around $7.2MM in today's dollar. that doesn't get shit these days.

Barking 13
10-15-2013, 12:56 PM
I may be in left field, but where the hell are they going to play if they tear the whole thing down? I'm thinking what everyone would like to see would take almost two years to complete like DWS. Are we talking about relocating a new facility somewhere else and playing in DNF until complete or razing it and rebuilding on the same footprint, and finding somewhere else to play for around two seasons?

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see a completely new facility, just haven't heard any ideas on a contingency plan...

engie
10-15-2013, 12:58 PM
I may be in left field, but where the hell are they going to play if they tear the whole thing down? I'm thinking what everyone would like to see would take almost two years to complete like DWS. Are we talking about relocating a new facility somewhere else and playing in DNF until complete or razing it and rebuilding on the same footprint, and finding somewhere else to play for around two seasons?

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see a completely new facility, just haven't heard any ideas on a contingency plan...

Trustmark Park was built in 11 months.

At very worst, we would be displaced for a single season...

Barking 13
10-15-2013, 01:00 PM

Good to know.. maybe they can play home games at Trustmark...

Homedawg
10-15-2013, 01:05 PM

If we go the new stadium route, fine. If there is little difference in cost it's a no brainer all of course assuming we have the funds. However, trustmark didn't have a stadium to demolish. So we will for sure be a season w no park.

messageboardsuperhero
10-15-2013, 01:31 PM

If it's done good and right, we'd probably have to play in Trustmark for a year. That really wouldn't be too bad though; we'd draw good crowds in Jackson. Bama will likely play some in Hoover while fixing up their stadium, so there will be a precedent for this.

The worst thing about it is that's a good bit of traveling during midweeks, but all in all, it's still a good option.

TrueMaroon
10-15-2013, 02:22 PM

No way in HECK they will do anything that forfeits homefield for a season. Period.

Baseball will be played in Starkville, MS, no matter what.

messageboardsuperhero
10-15-2013, 02:31 PM
No way in HECK they will do anything that forfeits homefield for a season. Period.

What makes you say this? I'd certainly be fine with playing a season in Jackson if it meant that we'd have the best stadium in college baseball in Starkville waiting for us when we got back. Alabama will probably be playing games in Hoover while they work on their stadium. Why couldn't we do the same?

CadaverDawg
10-15-2013, 02:37 PM

Are you the one that stood up and said they wanted their name back on their seat?*

I kid.

Homedawg
10-15-2013, 02:48 PM

Ultimately, I think you will be correct. Time shall tell.

messageboardsuperhero
10-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Ultimately, I think you will be correct. Time shall tell.

Why is it such a big deal for us to play some games at Trustmark Park, even if it was for a full year at the absolute worst until we could get a new DNF rebuilt? Is there some kind of super-powerful "baseball magic" in the town of Starkville that will not allow us to play a few months to a year's worth of games in Pearl? I hope Stricklin doesn't have the same stubborn "MSU baseball caint play home gamezz out of Starkville eer I might die!!1!1!1" mentality... Again, a year would be the absolute highest, most conservative estimate. It might not even take that long if we don't do much work in the LFL and leave it mostly alone.

Of course we could strategically build some of it that we absolutely needed for the next year (base of grandstand, concessions and bathrooms, pressbox, etc.) in one offseason, and then have plans to finish the rest the next offseason. Arkansas sort of did theirs this way, in that they expand and renovate a little bit almost every year.

Homedawg
10-15-2013, 03:25 PM
Why is it such a big deal for us to play some games at Trustmark Park, even if it was for a full year at the absolute worst until we could get a new DNF rebuilt? Is there some kind of super-powerful "baseball magic" in the town of Starkville that will not allow us to play a few months to a year's worth of games in Pearl? I hope Stricklin doesn't have the same stubborn "MSU baseball caint play home gamezz out of Starkville eer I might die!!1!1!1" mentality... Again, a year would be the absolute highest, most conservative estimate. It might not even take that long if we don't do much work in the LFL and leave it mostly alone.

Of course we could strategically build some of it that we absolutely needed for the next year (base of grandstand, concessions and bathrooms, pressbox, etc.) in one offseason, and then have plans to finish the rest the next offseason. Arkansas sort of did theirs this way, in that they expand and renovate a little bit almost every year.

I never said that we couldn't play somewhere else. Or it was magical or anything else. I said ultimately I don't think we will spend and entire season away from DNF. I'm of the opinion we wont bulldoze it and start over. Quite frankly I will be surprised if we do. I could be wrong. Great, we get a new stadium, good by me. I just don't think we will start over. It's my opinion and I'm sticking with it until I hear something major that makes me change my mind. (meaning something from our administration that makes me change my mind)

bully99
10-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Bama has already said they're likely to play in Hoover in 2015. Last time I checked Trustmark has a full-time tenant. The contractor could build around the clock,that might work, but would be very expensive.

Esmerelda Villalobos
10-15-2013, 04:22 PM
Or we could play at dnf and everyone could watch from the outfield while they are building the grandstand. It is how a typical game at msu is watched anyway.

Red Sox Dawg
10-15-2013, 04:27 PM

I agree. I don't think they give up home field and the crowds are better in Starkville.

CadaverDawg
10-15-2013, 04:29 PM
Or we could play at dnf and everyone could watch from the outfield while they are building the grandstand. It is how a typical game at msu is watched anyway.

+1

engie
10-15-2013, 04:50 PM
If we go the new stadium route, fine. If there is little difference in cost it's a no brainer all of course assuming we have the funds. However, trustmark didn't have a stadium to demolish. So we will for sure be a season w no park.

Didn't have a stadium to demolish -- but did have to clear a forest worth of land for parking -- had to build a field -- completely do a drainage and playing surface setup, etc...

There are ALOT of things that had to be done at Trustmark that wouldn't be required @ Dudy Noble -- exactly like there are things required at Dudy Noble that weren't required at Trustmark.

engie
10-15-2013, 04:59 PM

You know this, how? How does playing in Memphis and Pearl "forfeit home field"? Last I checked, MORE people show up to actually watch us at those venues than come to Starkville on the average week/weekend.

I don't care if we play in Starkville and everyone has to watch from the outfield -- or if we make a combination of Trustmark, Auto Zone, and Regions our home for a year. But I AM NOT in favor of giving up an opportunity to be the BEST at something for the next 25 years of MSU baseball -- so we can play games in Dudy Noble for one season.

engie
10-15-2013, 05:01 PM
I never said that we couldn't play somewhere else. Or it was magical or anything else. I said ultimately I don't think we will spend and entire season away from DNF. I'm of the opinion we wont bulldoze it and start over. Quite frankly I will be surprised if we do. I could be wrong. Great, we get a new stadium, good by me. I just don't think we will start over. It's my opinion and I'm sticking with it until I hear something major that makes me change my mind. (meaning something from our administration that makes me change my mind)

So, all this "be the best" talk from our administration is just bullshit -- in your opinion?

messageboardsuperhero
10-15-2013, 05:17 PM
You know this, how? How does playing in Memphis and Pearl "forfeit home field"? Last I checked, MORE people show up to actually watch us at those venues than come to Starkville on the average week/weekend.

I don't care if we play in Starkville and everyone has to watch from the outfield -- or if we make a combination of Trustmark, Auto Zone, and Regions our home for a year. But I AM NOT in favor of giving up an opportunity to be the BEST at something for the next 25 years of MSU baseball -- so we can play games in Dudy Noble for one season.

Exactly. Why make a decision that will dramatically improve our program over the next 20-30 years based on where we play for one season? Once again, some of our fans can't see long-term and realize that relatively small sacrifices in the short run could help our program tremendously for decades to come. Try to see past tomorrow and any one year and realize that it is about the big picture.

Besides, we always do well and draw big crowds when we go to those places anyway.

Homedawg
10-15-2013, 05:21 PM
So, all this "be the best" talk from our administration is just bullshit -- in your opinion?

No I think they do want the best. But I think when it's all added up-cohens input meaning a ton- including what would happen while we build it- I don't think they are going to smash it to the ground and start over. And I think John was pretty clear last night he didn't want to move the location, as if it were an option anyway. I'm not saying there is no chance at a new stadium, but I wouldnt like the odds of that happening. Let's see what the architects come up with and find out!

Homedawg
10-15-2013, 05:24 PM
Didn't have a stadium to demolish -- but did have to clear a forest worth of land for parking -- had to build a field -- completely do a drainage and playing surface setup, etc...

There are ALOT of things that had to be done at Trustmark that wouldn't be required @ Dudy Noble -- exactly like there are things required at Dudy Noble that weren't required at Trustmark.

I think either way u go it won't be ready completely. So your point is valid. But the previous DNF took 9 months and they didn't have anything to demolish. Now I saw someone say they might could already have prep work done. I think that's possible and a must, new or a redo.

engie
10-15-2013, 05:47 PM
I think we're just going to have to accept the fact that we will be off DNF for at least part of a season...

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2013, 05:59 PM
Why does the new field have to sit on the existing site? Couldn't you build the new stadium in the parking lot between the hump and the Sanderson center? And then turn the former DNF site into the a parking lot to replace the one you lost?

If not, I have a proposition:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=la+coliseum+baseball&source=images&cd=&docid=-SMIiNaeRmZgUM&tbnid=uPe9vNubQlydjM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.baseballpilgrimages.com%2Fcol iseum.html&ei=mMhdUoHQAsiX2QW5poD4DQ&bvm=bv.54176721,d.b2I&psig=AFQjCNF0oGF1r33Oa7NscYSflqwUvnRUTA&ust=1381964300845833

Yes, play a season in Davis Wade

Homedawg
10-15-2013, 06:05 PM
Why does the new field have to sit on the existing site? Couldn't you build the new stadium in the parking lot between the hump and the Sanderson center? And then turn the former DNF site into the a parking lot to replace the one you lost?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=la+coliseum+baseball&source=images&cd=&docid=-SMIiNaeRmZgUM&tbnid=uPe9vNubQlydjM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.baseballpilgrimages.com%2Fcol iseum.html&ei=mMhdUoHQAsiX2QW5poD4DQ&bvm=bv.54176721,d.b2I&psig=AFQjCNF0oGF1r33Oa7NscYSflqwUvnRUTA&ust=1381964300845833

John wants everything right there. I know you are only talking about a couple of hundred yard but still, he's a minute by minute guy. Not wasting any. Also to move it where u want will take away our sun field advantage bc of the hump blocking the sun.

Homedawg
10-15-2013, 06:07 PM
I think we're just going to have to accept the fact that we will be off DNF for at least part of a season...

I don't see how to avoid a part of it. Agree for sure.

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2013, 06:08 PM
Play 2016 in Davis Wade

CadaverDawg
10-15-2013, 06:09 PM
Play 2016 in Davis Wade

Here ya go...

http://www.baseballpilgrimages.com/coliseum.html

Interesting idea actually. Would be fun for a year.

Esmerelda Villalobos
10-15-2013, 06:11 PM
Yall ever thought about moving dudy noble? Could they convert old dnf into the nicest softball complex in country?

Kill 2 birds with one stone.

engie
10-15-2013, 06:11 PM

I'd love to move it to the top of that hill. Make it the showcase of that athletics corner -- instead of a shadow. Cohen's point was that he likes having it very close to the Palmeiro and Templeton Center. It would still be both of those things in moving it to the top of the hill -- and we would never "lose" a game in Starkville.

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2013, 06:13 PM
Here ya go...

http://www.baseballpilgrimages.com/coliseum.html

Interesting idea actually. Would be fun for a year.

Heck yea it would be, and, at the same time, we could put the whole on-campus attendance record out of reach for any other school

Homedawg
10-15-2013, 06:15 PM
I'd love to move it to the top of that hill. Make it the showcase of that athletics corner -- instead of a shadow. Cohen's point was that he likes having it very close to the Palmeiro and Templeton Center. It would still be both of those things in moving it to the top of the hill -- and we would never "lose" a game in Starkville.

Right, farther away from palmeiro and templeton and the coaches offices. Is it a big deal? Not to anyone except him probably. When u have limits on time per week, time matters. Rain falls- go to palmeiro in one minute not 5. Overkill of details is in all the great ones. And we have a great one.

engie
10-15-2013, 06:18 PM
Right, farther away from palmeiro and templeton and the coaches offices. Is it a big deal? Not to anyone except him probably. When u have limits on time per week, time matters. Rain falls- go to palmeiro in one minute not 5. Overkill of details is in all the great ones. And we have a great one.

LOL

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2013, 06:20 PM

Come on man, if we build a new stadium, the coaches offices will be in the new stadium, and for and extra million we could build a baseball only Palmeiro Center and turn the current one completely over to football. Think big, not small!

Homedawg
10-15-2013, 07:03 PM
Come on man, if we build a new stadium, the coaches offices will be in the new stadium, and for and extra million we could build a baseball only Palmeiro Center and turn the current one completely over to football. Think big, not small!

Somewhere lost in all of your comments is this- we have a coaches building that cost over a million bucks. A new palmeiro center costs tens of millions. Where are we getting all this money? I know the tv money is going up. And we have over ten million in projects before we get to baseball and not counting football which is being debt serviced each year. Money is getting better but the price of poker goes up each year just to compete. Not an easy task here

Homedawg
10-15-2013, 07:04 PM
LOL

Lol all you want- it's true.

engie
10-15-2013, 07:08 PM
Somewhere lost in all of your comments is this- we have a coaches building that cost over a million bucks. A new palmeiro center costs tens of millions. Where are we getting all this money? I know the tv money is going up. And we have over ten million in projects before we get to baseball and not counting football which is being debt services each year. Money is getting better but the price of poker goes up each year just to compete. Not an easy task here

Do some research please. Instead of throwing bullshit numbers against a wall.

engie
10-15-2013, 07:09 PM
Lol all you want- it's true.

You don't know what you are talking about with baseball -- and you have made that clear.

Homedawg
10-15-2013, 07:23 PM
Do some research please. Instead of throwing bullshit numbers against a wall.

Do some research. Well then, what did I say that was bullshit? Mr fcuking know it all. Out coaches office for baseball didn't cost near a million? Bs. A new palmeiro center wouldn't cost near ten? Bs. As for your post about me knowing nothing about baseball makes me laugh. U throw your chest out to everybody on here and they coward down. **** that shit. U played baseball in Jc. Whoop de ****ing do! I Played -1. Who cares and about you resume. I don't.

messageboardsuperhero
10-15-2013, 07:33 PM
Do some research. Well then, what did I say that was bullshit? Mr fcuking know it all. Out coaches office for baseball didn't cost near a million? Bs. A new palmeiro center wouldn't cost near ten? Bs. As for your post about me knowing nothing about baseball makes me laugh. U throw your chest out to everybody on here and they coward down. **** that shit. U played baseball in Jc. Whoop de ****ing do! I Played -1. Who cares and about you resume. I don't.

Settle down there compadre.

Homedawg
10-15-2013, 07:34 PM
You don't know what you are talking about with baseball -- and you have made that clear.

Its clear arguing with an architect and a baseball guru is dumb of me. Oh, you aren't either. Just a dip shit w a computer. And someone who has never stepped on Dudy noble field.

Homedawg
10-15-2013, 07:38 PM
Settle down there compadre.

For what? I posted numbers. Name one thing I said that wasnt true? Defend him. I don't care. But when someone call bs on me give me some substance where I was wrong- he doesn't have any. Period

engie
10-15-2013, 07:43 PM

LOL. Keep going full retard. It's hilarious. I love when people try to make it personal. You aren't insecure -- at all...

You don't know who I am -- what I did in baseball -- or anything else about me. People here don't think I know baseball because of a resume' -- they KNOW I know baseball because of a posting history.

By all means, continue being a moron and losing your mind when you get called out for throwing out bullshit numbers in an argument FOR mediocrity -- and you can be known for that. Fine by me.

engie
10-15-2013, 07:50 PM
For what? I posted numbers. Name one thing I said that wasnt true? Defend him. I don't care. But when someone call bs on me give me some substance where I was wrong- he doesn't have any. Period

Somewhere lost in all of your comments is this- we have a coaches building that cost over a million bucks. A new palmeiro center costs tens of millions. Where are we getting all this money? I know the tv money is going up. And we have over ten million in projects before we get to baseball and not counting football which is being debt serviced each year. Money is getting better but the price of poker goes up each year just to compete. Not an easy task here

We have a coach's office and banquet hall that costs $1.5 million. The VAST majority of that money went toward the 9500 sq ft, 350 seat banquet hall -- which is fine in that location and wouldn't require moving. You REALLY are trying to tell me that we've got over a mil in baseball coach's offices? Literally all I can do is laugh.

The Palmeiro Center costed $3.8 million total. So, PLEASE explain to me how inflation went up 300% over the past 8 years. I'd love to hear it.

Your numbers were bullshit. Hence why the whole diatribe was bullshit. But by all means -- keep arguing FOR mediocrity...

FFF
10-15-2013, 07:57 PM
To get a perspective, $3.5MM in 1987 is equal to around $7.2MM in today's dollar. that doesn't get shit these days.

To get more perspective, how much were we paying our football coach in 1987? By your math, we were paying him $972,000 a year. We weren't paying that much for a coach until the late Croom years. Also, there were no luxury boxes, no club levels, no jumbotrons at college football stadiums at that time, either. No one was spending near the money they do now on college football, much less college baseball. $3.5MM was a lot of money spent on college baseball in 1987.

godlluB
10-15-2013, 08:05 PM
You don't know who I am -- what I did in baseball -- or anything else about me. People here don't think I know baseball because of a resume' -- they KNOW I know baseball because of a posting history..

Yeah, about that:

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2013/10/13/restore-carnigie-hall-baseball-dudy-noble-field/

" My friend who goes by the Internet screen name engie has some illustrations that may explain this better or further my point. He knows a lot more about this than me- he is an engineer and former high school and junior college baseball player that has taken an interest in ballpark design as a hobby. "

I'm not trying to pick a fight. I'm mostly on your side on this issue, but Todd4State has outed a bit of your background, including the Juco baseball player part that he referenced.

Homedawg
10-15-2013, 08:16 PM
We have a coach's office and banquet hall that costs $1.5 million. The VAST majority of that money went toward the 9500 sq ft, 350 seat banquet hall -- which is fine in that location and wouldn't require moving. You REALLY are trying to tell me that we've got over a mil in baseball coach's offices? Literally all I can do is laugh.

The Palmeiro Center costed $3.8 million total. So, PLEASE explain to me how inflation went up 300% over the past 8 years. I'd love to hear it.

Your numbers were bullshit. Hence why the whole diatribe was bullshit. But by all means -- keep arguing FOR mediocrity...

The baseball coaches office cost by itself when built 800k. Fact. And yes we wouldn't have to have the other part added on for a meeting room in the palmeiro center. So it wouldn't total 10 with that not on it. I was giving replacement costs on a building that was upward of 5 million when it was originally built.

Homedawg
10-15-2013, 08:19 PM
Yeah, about that:

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2013/10/13/restore-carnigie-hall-baseball-dudy-noble-field/

" My friend who goes by the Internet screen name engie has some illustrations that may explain this better or further my point. He knows a lot more about this than me- he is an engineer and former high school and junior college baseball player that has taken an interest in ballpark design as a hobby. "

I'm not trying to pick a fight. I'm mostly on your side on this issue, but Todd4State has outed a bit of your background, including the Juco baseball player part that he referenced.

I didn't even read that. He went on some long rant one day about what a great catcher he was in Jc. Otherwise I wouldnt have known.

engie
10-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Yeah, about that:

Got it. Didn't realize that it was included in that article.

Todd knows who I am personally -- and knows my baseball background overall, so I don't have a problem with that. I don't care to apologize for how/when my career ended either(torn labrum and never really got velocity back) with multiple d1 offers still on the table. I wanted to be at MSU or nowhere at all -- and I couldn't do that without throwing velocity behind Craig Tatum and Ed Easley. It is what it is.

If I wanted to be a baseball coach today, I would be -- either at my highschool(where I've had an offer before that is still on the table to this day) or with my highschool coach in the college ranks. I'd love to go do that when I've got enough money to not worry about that anymore(which obviously may never come).

godlluB
10-15-2013, 08:31 PM
Play 2016 in Davis Wade

I had the same thought, although I'm not sure that it could be made to fit. Not the mention the fact that Cohen would probably make us carpet it first.

bully99
10-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Damnit, can't we all just get along. And the crowd said AMEN!!!

engie
10-15-2013, 08:43 PM
Davis Wade...

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20131016-thtk-97kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20131016-thtk-97kb)

Just don't think it can be wide enough....

CadaverDawg
10-15-2013, 08:45 PM
That's what I was afraid of.

engie
10-15-2013, 08:49 PM
If you took out concrete, fences, and hedges...

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20131016-pnb3-79kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20131016-pnb3-79kb)

FFF
10-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Davis Wade...

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20131016-thtk-97kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20131016-thtk-97kb)

Just don't think it can be wide enough....

Those were my thoughts, as well. The coliseum was built with track in mind, too (since it hosted Olympic events). USC has to bring portable bleachers onto the field for it to be suitable for football... even then, its still not a very comfortable stadium.

http://www.holyculture.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/USC-Coliseum.jpg

godlluB
10-15-2013, 08:56 PM
Yeah, I was playing around with it in Google Earth too. It just can't be done without making Hendu play in the bleachers.

engie
10-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Wow, I never noticed that before. It looks like crap.

Esmerelda Villalobos
10-15-2013, 09:10 PM
Put it in the middle of the end zone. Should have plenty to left and right.

engie
10-15-2013, 09:30 PM
Put it in the middle of the end zone. Should have plenty to left and right.

It's almost a 90* angle on the baselines. Not nearly enough room...

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20131016-xpjl-83kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20131016-xpjl-83kb)

messageboardsuperhero
10-15-2013, 10:10 PM

It really does blow my mind how you openly campaign for something that is less than what we can have and less than what we deserve. Stricklin has said two nights in a row that we are fully committed to having the best baseball facility in the country, and he backed that statement up by hiring the best architecture/planning team that we could possibly have gotten. Shit, there are MLB teams who probably wish they could get JM Smith to work with them like we just did. With all that being said, have you ever seen/been to South Carolina's or LSU's stadiums? Because a LOT of our fans (particularly the older ones) don't realize just how far behind DNF is compared to these places. The absolutely ONLY way we can have anything come close to what those two have is to start over. Period.

And I think you seriously underestimate how much pride our alumni take in our baseball program. When called upon and when we need to, we can spend with just about anyone in college baseball, especially after getting a taste of playing in the National Championship series.

MsStateBaseball
10-15-2013, 10:36 PM
If we could take some of these people to LSU or Pearl and have them sit in certain sections, they would change their mind.

engie
10-15-2013, 10:42 PM
If we could take some of these people to LSU or Pearl and have them sit in certain sections, they would change their mind.

Exactly. LSU, Pearl, Baum, Carolina, AutoZone, etc would all blow these people away...

Swayze and Blue Bell won't change their minds -- but I've already said my piece on why I think both schools made big mistakes in how they went with renovations to old stadiums instead of rebuilds.

Well, monumental for Ole Miss. aTm will just throw $50 mil in the bucket and build a new one whenever they get good and ready...

Homedawg
10-15-2013, 10:43 PM
It really does blow my mind how you openly campaign for something that is less than what we can have and less than what we deserve. Stricklin has said two nights in a row that we are fully committed to having the best baseball facility in the country, and he backed that statement up by hiring the best architecture/planning team that we could possibly have gotten. Shit, there are MLB teams who probably wish they could get JM Smith to work with them like we just did. With all that being said, have you ever seen/been to South Carolina's or LSU's stadiums? Because a LOT of our fans (particularly the older ones) don't realize just how far behind DNF is compared to these places. The absolutely ONLY way we can have anything come close to what those two have is to start over. Period.

And I think you seriously underestimate how much pride our alumni take in our baseball program. When called upon and when we need to, we can spend with just about anyone in college baseball, especially after getting a taste of playing in the National Championship series.

Openly campaign? Wow. I don't think you have read what I said very clearly. I never once said I wanted to keep what we have. I said, it was my opinion, we would keep what we have and modify it. Not that i wanted it that way. Clearly, many on here don't like that opinion. But at the end of the day, I repeat, I don't think we are going to bulldoze the place and start over. That doesn't mean I don't want or do want a new stadium! I recognize we as a fan base understand this is our best program, however,any who recognize that are the same ones who want to pay the assistants more, as do I, yet, don't give one single dollar to support that plan. So, if that reads to you I don't want a new stadium then so be it, however inaccurate that may be. But remember it took a 12 million dollar gift to build a 25 million dollar building for football so no matter how bad we want a new or renovated DNF, someone has to pony up period. ...and to answer no I haven't been to sc stadium but I have beem to ark and lsu's. And I went to all of the sec venues when they were dumps. And yes we are behind the times. No doubt.

Todd4State
10-15-2013, 10:49 PM
I think I can maybe solve this issue a little bit with some educated guessing. The plaque that Scott showed that the current grandstand opened or was dedicated in April.

We could very easily play a weekend series at Trustmark, a weekend series in Biloxi at their new stadium, maybe play Memphis in Autozone, and then go to a tournament or play a road series somewhere out west. Then the new ballpark/renovated ballpark could be ready for SEC play if all goes well.

Let's say they start building in May or late June- that would give us about 10-11 months to build- and some things could be built along the way as well.

bully99
10-15-2013, 10:50 PM
The big question is can you watch the game without getting a crick in your neck.

engie
10-15-2013, 10:56 PM
The big question is can you watch the game without getting a crick in your neck.

Dudy Noble bleachers are the only place I've ever gotten a crick. Nothing pissed me off worse as a student than being stuck out there -- with an empty grandstand right there -- with 25 rent a ticket cops not allowing us to sit in the grandstand...

messageboardsuperhero
10-15-2013, 11:46 PM

It would be really funny if we could grab a handful of these outspoken lifetime seat members, throw them in a bus, and take them to some of these stadiums. They would find our real quick what our best option is and why we are so adamant about it. I don't think those people are stupid, they are just uninformed about the tremendous advantages of a modern ballpark design and can be a little too stubborn anytime someone suggests even the slightest of changes.

They also need to realize that even though the priority of their seat might technically become "worse" in a sense, they would more than likely end up with a seat that is at least as good, if not BETTER than their old one because of the better views of modern grandstands.

messageboardsuperhero
10-16-2013, 12:02 AM
I think I can maybe solve this issue a little bit with some educated guessing. The plaque that Scott showed that the current grandstand opened or was dedicated in April.

We could very easily play a weekend series at Trustmark, a weekend series in Biloxi at their new stadium, maybe play Memphis in Autozone, and then go to a tournament or play a road series somewhere out west. Then the new ballpark/renovated ballpark could be ready for SEC play if all goes well.

Let's say they start building in May or late June- that would give us about 10-11 months to build- and some things could be built along the way as well.

This probably is the best and most likely option. The first year would be tricky, but it would still be more than worth the hassle.

Coach34
10-16-2013, 12:15 AM
We're going to build a new grandstand. Stricklin is playing the middle right now to appease some people.

We are going to go first class on this project.

Todd4State
10-16-2013, 12:22 AM
It would be really funny if we could grab a handful of these outspoken lifetime seat members, throw them in a bus, and take them to some of these stadiums. They would find our real quick what our best option is and why we are so adamant about it. I don't think those people are stupid, they are just uninformed about the tremendous advantages of a modern ballpark design and can be a little too stubborn anytime someone suggests even the slightest of changes.

They also need to realize that even though the priority of their seat might technically become "worse" in a sense, they would more than likely end up with a seat that is at least as good, if not BETTER than their old one because of the better views of modern grandstands.

I think they agree that our stadium needs updating- at least based on the meeting I attended. But I think they are going through the "fear of the unknown" right now- there is a possibility that their seats could be worse. But there is a much higher possibility that their seats will actually be better than ever.

I don't think their intentions are bad- they're just scared. And I imagine they will be mad at first- and I pity Scott for having to deal with that- but I really think that once they see what is going to be built, they're going to be happy.

Just like they weren't happy with Cohen's "cussing" at first- but you better believe they enjoyed that run in Omaha this year and wouldn't trade it for anything.

The only thing I can't figure out is why the want their names on their seat? That's a little weird to me.

Todd4State
10-16-2013, 12:25 AM
We're going to build a new grandstand. Stricklin is playing the middle right now to appease some people.

Yeah- you could tell that he's easing some of the lifetime season ticket holders in as easily as possible- like giving them a two year heads up.

I'm not an architect, but I don't see any way that they can do what it seems like most people want with the grandstand as it currently is. The architect mentioned the sightlines being really hard to work with and I can't see how they would do a concourse with the current structure.

messageboardsuperhero
10-16-2013, 08:49 AM

Based on how Stricklin is playing his cards right now, I'd say you are correct.

messageboardsuperhero
10-16-2013, 08:53 AM
I think they agree that our stadium needs updating- at least based on the meeting I attended. But I think they are going through the "fear of the unknown" right now- there is a possibility that their seats could be worse. But there is a much higher possibility that their seats will actually be better than ever.

I don't think their intentions are bad- they're just scared. And I imagine they will be mad at first- and I pity Scott for having to deal with that- but I really think that once they see what is going to be built, they're going to be happy.

Just like they weren't happy with Cohen's "cussing" at first- but you better believe they enjoyed that run in Omaha this year and wouldn't trade it for anything.

The only thing I can't figure out is why the want their names on their seat? That's a little weird to me.

I agree with you, the lifetimers will be pissed off at first, but once they see what we are going to build, they'll be sort of okay with it. Then once they actually go to the stadium for a few games, they'll absolutely love it. Scott just needs to be patient; everything will work itself out over time.

smootness
10-16-2013, 08:59 AM
I agree with you, the lifetimers will be pissed off at first, but once they see what we are going to build, they'll be sort of okay with it. Then once they actually go to the stadium for a few games, they'll absolutely love it. Scott just needs to be patient; everything will work itself out over time.

Yeah, it's fear of the unknown, and it's to be expected. All they know now is that they love their seats and don't want to lose them...and the stadium seems fine with them.

Once they see what a new stadium looks like (and presumably don't end up with worse seats, at least not to a large degree), they'll accept it.

Esmerelda Villalobos
10-16-2013, 09:14 AM
Im a lifer. I wont be pissed. I actually emailed the ath dept stating that we would gladly give up our lifetimes for the betterment of the program.

messageboardsuperhero
10-16-2013, 09:21 AM
Im a lifer. I wont be pissed. I actually emailed the ath dept stating that we would gladly give up our lifetimes for the betterment of the program.

I didn't intend to lump all the lifetime people together, I was just referring to the "You can have my seat when you pry it from cold, dead hands" crowd.

Thanks for doing that, by the way. Scott needs to know that there are lots of people who would be okay with giving up their seat if it meant building the best college baseball grandstand in the country.

CadaverDawg
10-16-2013, 09:44 AM

Good boodaw right here^

TheRef
10-16-2013, 10:17 AM
6 pages about the Baseball stadium....and who said we don't have the greatest baseball fans in America?

CadaverDawg
10-16-2013, 10:44 AM
6 pages about the Baseball stadium....and who said we don't have the greatest baseball fans in America?

Boom.

And during the middle of football season too.

godlluB
10-16-2013, 10:44 AM
I've actually checked in a few times and thought "Why are these people talking about football?"