PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what to think

MetEdDawg
09-29-2018, 08:24 PM
Hear me out

1) We make a ton of mistakes. OL is not what we thought. WRs are too inconsistent. Fitz makes awful throws and cant read a defense. On almost every play we have a mistake by a different player.

2) We have a better staff and the players rave about them. They have NFL experience. They have head coaching experience. They have big time recruiting experience. By 100% of the accounts I've heard we do a lot of things better than before.

I can't blame Joe Mo entirely for this. Totally different staff, totally different philosophy and it's clear that we have had to adjust our offense because of OL weakness and WR's not capable of doing things.

Here's the question. How much of this is on Joe? Point to something he has done where you say that is 100% on him. We fixed the penalties. Only 2 tonight. We played our ass off on defense. We had our chances on offense.

My conclusion: We are the product of having to undo 9 years of what Mullen did while replacing him with a more cerebral offensive mind. Because of that, we don't have the players necessary to execute what he wants. Fordham is a private research based institution. Penn State has very strict requirements and very high admissions standards. They've got smart kids where Moorhead came from. I think we don't have the smarts on offense to execute his level of offense. I also don't think we have the talent on the OL. I don't think Joe was a bad hire. Everything and everyone pointed to this being great. And he is an offensive genius. That didn't just leave him. Something isn't right and I think we've hit a perfect storm of our coach not having what he needs to execute this offense. I bet we would win more games with Dan this year. But I think it's going to take Joe Mo time to get the right guys in here to have better long term success.

I think we all underestimated the adjustment that would happen with the change.

Gutter Cobreh
09-29-2018, 08:27 PM
Very well said!

AlSwearengen
09-29-2018, 08:27 PM
Mullen’s teams were nothing if not disciplined. Limited mistakes. You could see it his first year here and you can see it the first year he is not here.

Fader21
09-29-2018, 08:29 PM
Next year he is also bringing in his top qb on his board. The one he wants. Not Fitz.

Big4Dawg
09-29-2018, 08:29 PM
Our offense had a chance??? Had a chance to do what? Scored 14?? It was awful. This is all on Moorhead.

MetEdDawg
09-29-2018, 08:30 PM
Our offense had a chance??? Had a chance to do what? Scored 14?? It was awful. This is all on Moorhead.

Tell me that Osirus catch wouldn't have changed the complection of this game completely

Behrdawg
09-29-2018, 08:30 PM
Crooms staff had NFL experience. Get out of here with that shit.

msstate7
09-29-2018, 08:31 PM

Please don't speak logic here... we upgraded at head coach. Thank God the country club is gone

shoeless joe
09-29-2018, 08:33 PM
Agree with your premis but it's still on jomo. He has shown a complete inability to make adjustments

MetEdDawg
09-29-2018, 08:34 PM
Agree with your premis but it's still on jomo. He has shown a complete inability to make adjustments

16 penalties to 2. I would say that's a decent adjustment.

VandelayIndustries
09-29-2018, 08:34 PM
Tell me that Osirus catch wouldn't have changed the complection of this game completely

Know everyone is hot right now, but this is right. He catches it, whole different ball game. Our offense is still really bad though

MetEdDawg
09-29-2018, 08:35 PM
The problem I have is we still have similar issues as last year. We can't pass effectively. WR drops. Special teams not good.

Some of the problems are the exact same. Are we not even considering the fact the players might be the issue here?

We've talked about the talent issue at places. Fitz isn't a QB that can handle the passing load and he never has been. We've got a bunch of OL that had combined a handful of P5 offers. Our WRs are very similar except for Landry and Whop. Outside of Kylin and Aeris, show me an offensive player that has been here more than a year that was even remotely pursued by a good team in recruiting.

msugolf
09-29-2018, 08:36 PM
So where's he going to get all these cerebral, yet super athletic, players to run his system? Cause he sure isn't getting them in the 2019 class. And how long do you plan on giving him to get those guys in? Football doesn't have to be 17ing Calculus, especially in college. The more simplified you make it the faster your players will play.

Fader21
09-29-2018, 08:37 PM
Please don't speak logic here... we upgraded at head coach. Thank God the country club is gone

You act like we wanted to get rid of the country club. Of course I didn't but some did.

msstate7
09-29-2018, 08:40 PM
You act like we wanted to get rid of the country club. Of course I didn't but some did.

Neither did I. Neither did I

TUSK
09-29-2018, 08:41 PM
The problem I have is we still have similar issues as last year. We can't pass effectively. WR drops. Special teams not good.

Some of the problems are the exact same. Are we not even considering the fact the players might be the issue here?

We've talked about the talent issues at places. Fitz isn't a QB that can handle the passing load and he never has been. We've got a bunch of OL that had combined a handful of P5 offers. Our WRs are very similar except for Landry and Whop. Outside of Kylin and Aeris, show me an offensive player that has been here more than a year that was even remotely pursued by a good team in recruiting.

this.

EdDawg
09-29-2018, 08:42 PM

So if one play doesn't go our way we will lose the game? Well I'm sure that won't happen again.***

It was definitely a gut punch, but we were playing at HOME. How do you just lose all emotion and motivation at HOME? We never adjusted our offense. We never hit them with a quick passing game. We totally abandoned the run in the fourth quarter. JoMo reverts back to passing when the game doesn't go his way. That's ok when you have a QB that can make those long passes, but we don't.

He doesn't know how to run the ball when we aren't able to throw downfield. Florida couldn't throw downfield either, yet they still ran the ball well enough to beat a talented defense on the road.

Fader21
09-29-2018, 08:43 PM
Neither did I. Neither did I

The fact is the country club left us. I will give JOMO some time to figure it out but his leash is definitely short. There does need to be staff changes.

Maroonthirteen
09-29-2018, 08:44 PM
Offensively,

Terrible coaching. CUSA talent (no speed) and poor execution. We can’t throw catch or block. The offense is an absolute dumpster fire.

Defense is a very good unit

Dawgfan77
09-29-2018, 08:45 PM
Hear me out

1) We make a ton of mistakes. OL is not what we thought. WRs are too inconsistent. Fitz makes awful throws and cant read a defense. On almost every play we have a mistake by a different player.

2) We have a better staff and the players rave about them. They have NFL experience. They have head coaching experience. They have big time recruiting experience. By 100% of the accounts I've heard we do a lot of things better than before.

I can't blame Joe Mo entirely for this. Totally different staff, totally different philosophy and it's clear that we have had to adjust our offense because of OL weakness and WR's not capable of doing things.

Here's the question. How much of this is on Joe? Point to something he has done where you say that is 100% on him. We fixed the penalties. Only 2 tonight. We played our ass off on defense. We had our chances on offense.

My conclusion: We are the product of having to undo 9 years of what Mullen did while replacing him with a more cerebral offensive mind. Because of that, we don't have the players necessary to execute what he wants. Fordham is a private research based institution. Penn State has very strict requirements and very high admissions standards. They've got smart kids where Moorhead came from. I think we don't have the smarts on offense to execute his level of offense. I also don't think we have the talent on the OL. I don't think Joe was a bad hire. Everything and everyone pointed to this being great. And he is an offensive genius. That didn't just leave him. Something isn't right and I think we've hit a perfect storm of our coach not having what he needs to execute this offense. I bet we would win more games with Dan this year. But I think it's going to take Joe Mo time to get the right guys in here to have better long term success.

These are the same players that won 9 games last year and a career RB coach won the bowl game against Petrino. So your post has some valid points but these last two losses are firmly on Joe... oh btw. He is the OC

Irondawg
09-29-2018, 08:46 PM
The problem is that this team was built offensively to execute one very specific scheme. That scheme struggled against top talent but was successful against anything else. And that was pound the football up the middle with some occasional passing success.

Everyone on here agreed that to get better and take the next step we had to be better throwing the ball. We got a coach that fit that bill and didn't think we'd regress in our ground attack.

Problem is we've really regressed on the ground game, suddenly our OT can't block a rusher (which was not a problem last year) and our QB 's are being extremely inaccurate when they do have time. Mix in a few key drops and we suddenly look terrible on offense. I think this offense asks the QB to process things faster than Nick can do them and he's playing confused football. Lots of throws off the back foot, lots of indecisive looking runs.

I think with him we've hit paralysis by analysis state. The question is do we try to go back an and re-establish a power running attack keep trying to install jo's preferred offense?

EdDawg
09-29-2018, 08:46 PM
We recruit MISSISSIPPI, we aren't getting many cerebral players. That's sad to say, but we have a lot of raw talent in MS. The high school systems do not encourage players to think.

He would need 3-4 years to implement everything, bring in enough cerebral players (out of state mostly), and even then we don't know if it will work.

TrapGame
09-29-2018, 08:47 PM

Best pass of the night...and we never saw anything even remotely close to it the rest of the game. If we are waiting for one play to change the game we're gonna get killed in every SEC game from here on out.

Todd4State
09-29-2018, 08:48 PM
My concern about Joe is the lack of support he already seems to have. If that is the case we need to get rid of him ASAP. Even though that may not be fair to Joe.

Novoodoo
09-29-2018, 08:49 PM
We have to upgrade our expectations as a Tier 1 school. Cohen hires assistants when we should be hiring proven winners. Just wait until BB season and Lavoris (sic) takes over. Same hype as MoJo. MOJO GOTTA GO!

Todd4State
09-29-2018, 08:50 PM
We recruit MISSISSIPPI, we aren't getting many cerebral players. That's sad to say, but we have a lot of raw talent in MS. The high school systems do not encourage players to think.

He would need 3-4 years to implement everything, bring in enough cerebral players (out of state mostly), and even then we don't know if it will work.

A lot of them handle it when they're in the NFL. Nick shouldn't be this bad. And our o-line can't pass block. A lot of it is a talent issue because they're not executing.

MetEdDawg
09-29-2018, 08:52 PM
The problem is that this team was built offensively to execute one very specific scheme. That scheme struggled against top talent but was successful against anything else. And that was pound the football up the middle with some occasional passing success.

Everyone on here agreed that to get better and take the next step we had to be better throwing the ball. We got a coach that fit that bill and didn't think we'd regress in our ground attack.

Problem is we've really regressed on the ground game, suddenly our OT can't block a rusher (which was not a problem last year) and our QB 's are being extremely inaccurate when they do have time. Mix in a few key drops and we suddenly look terrible on offense. I think this offense asks the QB to process things faster than Nick can do them and he's playing confused football. Lots of throws off the back foot, lots of indecisive looking runs.

I think with him we've hit paralysis by analysis state. The question is do we try to go back an and re-establish a power running attack keep trying to install jo's preferred offense?

This is basically what I was getting at. This team is fit to run exactly what Mullen wanted. He knew how to disguise weaknesses in that offense. Moorhead doesn't have that luxury because he doesn't yet know what players tend to make what mistakes.

bulldawg28
09-29-2018, 08:52 PM

We've talked about the talent issue at places. Fitz isn't a QB that can handle the passing load and he never has been. We've got a bunch of OL that had combined a handful of P5 offers. Our WRs are very similar except for Landry and Whop. Outside of Kylin and Aeris, show me an offensive player that has been here more than a year that was even remotely pursued by a good team in recruiting.

Gibson, Mixon, Whop, Guidry. Mixon should be starting imo. These new WR's don't have the connection with Fitz and it's killing the offense.

Fader21
09-29-2018, 08:53 PM
My concern about Joe is the lack of support he already seems to have. If that is the case we need to get rid of him ASAP. Even though that may not be fair to Joe.

Agreed. Has any brand new coach that was labeled an offensive guru ever been fired 5 games into their first year. You got to give him some time.

Todd4State
09-29-2018, 08:54 PM
This is basically what I was getting at. This team is fit to run exactly what Mullen wanted. He knew how to disguise weaknesses in that offense. Moorhead doesn't have that luxury because he doesn't yet know what players tend to make what mistakes.

He oughta know by now though. LOL.

shannondawg
09-29-2018, 08:56 PM
It seems to work this way, usually we picked for the cellar and finish higher, we picked High we finish in cellar.

VandelayIndustries
09-29-2018, 08:57 PM
It seems to work this way, usually we picked for the cellar and finish higher, we picked High we finish in cellar.

It always seems to work that way haha

EdDawg
09-29-2018, 08:59 PM
A lot of them handle it when they're in the NFL. Nick shouldn't be this bad. And our o-line can't pass block. A lot of it is a talent issue because they're not executing.

Yes that's AFTER 4 years of college coaching, and nfl coaching. What I am getting at is we would need several years to get players up to speed with all the reads. Almost like Croom stating that he needed 3 years for players to learn his system.

Todd4State
09-29-2018, 09:02 PM
Yes that's AFTER 4 years of college coaching, and nfl coaching. What I am getting at is we would need several years to get players up to speed with all the reads. Almost like Croom stating that he needed 3 years for players to learn his system.

That's one reason why I bitched about Dan's recruiting. It has forced us to play sophomores in some spots.

shoeless joe
09-29-2018, 09:02 PM

We didn't have false starts cuz we were at home. How about helping out a struggling left tackle? How bout running the damn ball? How bout putting the best pass protecting back on the last drive when the whole world knows what's going to happen? How bout realizing the strengths of your players and utilizing them??

And I was talkin in game adjustments...he's not good rite now. He's not. Maybe he will get better. But he absolutely didn't know what to expect coming into the SEC.

MetEdDawg
09-29-2018, 09:05 PM

I don't think we need several years to bring kids up to speed. You bring in kids that have a higher aptitude for the offense. Talented kids that ran a similar style offense that knows the reads. Shrader is that guy at QB.

The difference with this coaching change is that we sucked when Mullen got here. But a lot of us forget that year one was simply higher competence coming in. We literally have never been in this spot in most of our fan bases lifetime. We've never lost a successful coach and replaced him with someone else in this modern era of football.

I don't know the answer, but I want to know over the last 15 years how many P5 programs had a coach leave for a better job after 5+ years and they did as good or better than the previous year. I would bet that number is damned low.

shoeless joe
09-29-2018, 09:05 PM
He oughta know by now though. LOL.

Exactly...

Maroonthirteen
09-29-2018, 09:15 PM
Offensively,

Terrible coaching. CUSA talent (no speed) and poor execution. We can’t throw catch or block. The offense is an absolute dumpster fire.

Defense is a very good unit

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-29-2018, 09:30 PM
This is the decision I'm coming to after some thought. This offense, especially Fitz, is a square peg in a round hole. Which would be fine if we weren't hyped up as a top 15 team by the media. Now our fanbase is on suicide watch and ready to burn the program to the gound and start over.

There's certainly a lot of valid concern, but we were obviously fools to think the coaching change would be a seamless transition.

Irondawg
09-29-2018, 11:15 PM
This is the decision I'm coming to after some thought. This offense, especially Fitz, is a square peg in a round hole. Which would be fine if we weren't hyped up as a top 15 team by the media. Now our fanbase is on suicide watch and ready to burn the program to the gound and start over.

There's certainly a lot of valid concern, but we were obviously fools to think the coaching change would be a seamless transition.

While all true, it's not like we were running real complicated stuff last year. We're not running as many designed QB runs with the blocking set up for that to happen as we've done in the past for example. Nick is running as much but he doesn't have the same kind of lanes for this reason and b/c he's spending some time doing the RPO thing he's less decisive and slower to find holes than he was last year. And it's killing us b/c those RPO's are generating any explosive plays for us.

A big question is what the coaches see when they review the film. Is there an easy read with an open guy that we're missing. Did we audible to a pass when we should have stuck with run?

My biggest beef is that when we're in gut check time in the 2nd half of these games and we're not throwing well while we just aren't fully committing to called plays and running more power sets with a dose of play action. Dan made a living of running Fitz behind Aeris and then going 5 wide and telling him to find the running lane and hit it hard. We've run some of that but way less than last year.

Coach007
09-29-2018, 11:38 PM
Hear me out

1- The OL is what we thought. The plays and scheme changed. A HC's job is to put the team (which is made up of players) in the best position to win! Did he do that? It's his job to hire he staff to train those players to be able to carry out those plays.

2- We do not have a better staff. The proof is right in front of you. When they start winning, then you can say that.

To your questions:

It's 100% on Jomo. He is the head coach. He calls the plays. The penalties that cost us the last game was HIS fault. Our DL and blitz schemes are typical and not effective. Compare UF's hands on our QB vs our's to their QB.

--------
What exactly is the horrible issue of what the past 9 years has given MSU? Bowl games every year? AND AGAIN... if we don't have the "smarts" it's on our HC to either dumb it down, change the playbook, or teach them better.

He will never get the people he needs here if he is NOT winning.

Liverpooldawg
09-29-2018, 11:40 PM
Hear me out

1) For roughly 50% of the games last year this is the same OL. They were WAY better than this last year, WAY better. Fitz is being asked to be something he isn't. We all know, and have known, what he is and what he isn't. Up till this year we played to what he did well. Now we play to what he doesn't do well. With the RPO you take what's given. For it to work you have to be able to do that. Fitz has never been able to do one phase of that on a consistent basis.
2) Saying we have a better staff doesn't mean we do. The evidence says otherwise. From my experience around the game for a long, long time in a different level, when the players REALLY like their coaches.....you are headed for trouble more often than not. We are NOT better than last year.

I don't think the OL is weak. They weren't last year. They look like they are lost and don't know what to do. That wasn't a problem last year.

One of the PRIME characteristics of a good coach in high school and college, where the entire team turns over every 3-5 years, is being able to adapt your scheme to what you have to work with. This staff shows no signs they are even remotely capable of that. That doesn't make them "cerebral" in my book. It makes them just the opposite.

Bubb Rubb
09-29-2018, 11:58 PM
Hear me out

You called JoMo a cerebral offensive mind. That's the problem with this post. There is nothing cerebral about what he is doing right now.

MetEdDawg
09-30-2018, 12:01 AM
You called JoMo a cerebral offensive mind. That's the problem with this post. There is nothing cerebral about what he is doing right now.

So what changed between now and 5 weeks ago before the start of the season? What changed between now and when he was hired? Because everyone knew he was smart and that he could coach the hell out of offense. Did he just get dumb since he was hired?

msstate7
09-30-2018, 12:05 AM
So what changed between now and 5 weeks ago before the start of the season? What changed between now and when he was hired? Because everyone knew he was smart and that he could coach the hell out of offense. Did he just get dumb since he was hired?
We see we were wrong?

Bubb Rubb
09-30-2018, 12:09 AM

No, we were wrong. I was wrong, for sure. I liked everything about him.

These last two games have been horrific and they are not correctable. It's a philosophical issue at this point. He doesn't know how to put this roster in position to be successful, and he's not going to be able to recruit in a way to get the players he needs for what he wants to do, because he's crapping the bed.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 12:23 AM

Perhaps they were wrong? His scheme does not fit what we have, at all. There were plenty of people I talk to worried about it when we hired him. If he was really smart he would have recognized that and adapted accordingly. We all thought with his smarts he would, at least till he could get his guys in. So far he hasn't. He was THE guy I wanted. To say I'm disappointed is a "mild" understatement.

Todd4State
09-30-2018, 01:08 AM
No, we were wrong. I was wrong, for sure. I liked everything about him.

These last two games have been horrific and they are not correctable. It's a philosophical issue at this point. He doesn't know how to put this roster in position to be successful, and he's not going to be able to recruit in a way to get the players he needs for what he wants to do, because he's crapping the bed.

I'd sell the recruits in early playing time.

Todd4State
09-30-2018, 01:11 AM

I think for coaches certain offenses are more natural to call based on their personality and I would imagine it's hard to adjust that to a degree. Like Paul Johnson wouldn't be comfortable in the Air Raid and Mike Leach wouldn't be comfortable in the flexbone triple option.

I think Joe likes to throw the ball. But if he's smart he'll shift his recruiting focus on getting some JUCO's and transfers that fit what he wants to do for the short term.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2018, 02:16 AM
I think for coaches certain offenses are more natural to call based on their personality and I would imagine it's hard to adjust that to a degree. Like Paul Johnson wouldn't be comfortable in the Air Raid and Mike Leach wouldn't be comfortable in the flexbone triple option.

I think Joe likes to throw the ball. But if he's smart he'll shift his recruiting focus on getting some JUCO's and transfers that fit what he wants to do for the short term.

Most guys are at JUCOs for one of two reasons: they didn't qualify or they weren't good enough to go D1. You obviously don't want the latter, and I'm not sure the former can handle this scheme. There always sleepers of course, we have had our share of them. But as a rule what I said is true.

BhamDawg205
09-30-2018, 02:53 AM

One game doesn't make a trend... 2 seems more like a abnormality

BhamDawg205
09-30-2018, 02:56 AM
So where's he going to get all these cerebral, yet super athletic, players to run his system? Cause he sure isn't getting them in the 2019 class. And how long do you plan on giving him to get those guys in? Football doesn't have to be 17ing Calculus, especially in college. The more simplified you make it the faster your players will play.

This