PDA

View Full Version : Dan Mullen returns to Vegas (an audience participation column)

Rick Cleveland
09-28-2018, 12:43 PM
https://mississippitoday.org/2018/09/28/dan-mullen-returns-to-scene-of-success/

Dawg61
09-28-2018, 12:57 PM
Whose Dan Mullen? It's Don Muffins.

fishwater99
09-28-2018, 01:02 PM

Learn More.

Early in his tenure, a veteran assistant coach left Mullen’s staff making, at best, a lateral move. “Why?” I asked the assistant coach.

“Because my name is not sonuvabitch and I got tired of being called that by my boss,” he answered.

Rustydawg
09-28-2018, 01:43 PM
Rick, you lost me with your recent Kaepernick = Ali comments.

Jack Lambert
09-28-2018, 01:51 PM
I am going to boo. Not because I don't like him I just want the boo's to get in his head.

Dawg61
09-28-2018, 01:57 PM
Rick, you lost me with your recent Kaepernick = Ali comments.

https://i.imgflip.com/1ly2rr.jpg

TrapGame
09-28-2018, 02:14 PM
I am going to boo. Not because I don't like him I just want the boo's to get in his head.

You gotta think of the surreal atmosphere of tens of thousands of cowbells ringing against you when they used to ring for you.

Behrdawg
09-28-2018, 02:20 PM

Good read, Rick. As always- we appreciate you posting on the site.

Turfdawg67
09-28-2018, 02:43 PM
Thanks Rick!

Political Hack
09-28-2018, 02:51 PM
I'm not going to boo, but I'm damn sure not going to clap for him.

The way he left was more classless than most people realize. He flat out lied to everyone and so did his wife. There's a way to answer things without lying through your teeth. There's also a better way to handle a "good bye" with the 100 or so young men you've asked to come play for you. I honestly just don't have any respect left for him. He's a petty egomaniac that knew he couldn't compete in the SEC West... and now it looks like he's going to have the same problem in the East, considering Kirby Smart owns him.

msu15
09-28-2018, 02:57 PM
Learn More.

Early in his tenure, a veteran assistant coach left Mullen’s staff making, at best, a lateral move. “Why?” I asked the assistant coach.

“Because my name is not sonuvabitch and I got tired of being called that by my boss,” he answered.

David Turner?

Msu65
09-28-2018, 03:29 PM
Same here. No more Rick Cleveland columns for me, including the one
Above. And I have read his columns from the very first days he was at
The CL.

basedog
09-28-2018, 03:31 PM
Let's hope the post game show is in our favor when Dan gets up and talks about the game! Regardless Dan will "sugar coat" the results.

Political Hack
09-28-2018, 03:39 PM
Same here. No more Rick Cleveland columns for me, including the one
Above. And I have read his columns from the very first days he was at
The CL.

It's amazing to me how some people let political opinions bother them so much. If someone says something that's inconsistent with your political thoughts, you just shut them out? I suppose that's one way to live.

msu15
09-28-2018, 03:54 PM
I suppose that's one way to live.

Man you just served up the biggest softball in history.

Msu65
09-28-2018, 04:33 PM
It's amazing to me how some people let political opinions bother them so much. If someone says something that's inconsistent with your political thoughts, you just shut them out? I suppose that's one way to live.

When I read a Rick Cleveland article, I expect for it to be about sports - not politics. Same as watching ESPN. If I want politics I watch the news channels. Frankly I care less what Rick?s political opinions are - just keep them to yourself on a sports blog board. Especially sports writers, broadcasters, and sports stations. Give me a Rick Cleveland column with - you know - SPORTS.

Homedawg
09-28-2018, 04:37 PM
I'm not going to boo, but I'm damn sure not going to clap for him.

The way he left was more classless than most people realize. He flat out lied to everyone and so did his wife. There's a way to answer things without lying through your teeth. There's also a better way to handle a "good bye" with the 100 or so young men you've asked to come play for you. I honestly just don't have any respect left for him. He's a petty egomaniac that knew he couldn't compete in the SEC West... and now it looks like he's going to have the same problem in the East, considering Kirby Smart owns him.

I'll agree on the how he left. That was terrible. And not shocking really. As for the lying, I really don't know how he was supposed to handle it or say? I've never, ever heard a coach say they were leaving.....until they left. If you don't answer it, people say, I don't know why he won't come out and say, "he's not leaving!" And when you do answer it you are a liar when you leave. He took a better job. I'm glad he helped us get better. And now I hope we kick his ass Saturday.

Statecoachingblows**
09-28-2018, 05:28 PM
I'll agree on the how he left. That was terrible. And not shocking really. As for the lying, I really don't know how he was supposed to handle it or say? I've never, ever heard a coach say they were leaving.....until they left. If you don't answer it, people say, I don't know why he won't come out and say, "he's not leaving!" And when you do answer it you are a liar when you leave. He took a better job. I'm glad he helped us get better. And now I hope we kick his ass Saturday.

The shitty part is, at least from memory, it was the only year he really did come out and make at least a Semi-commitment to state. I don't remember 100% but I'm sure last year there were some statements with somewhat more definitive comments regarding leaving than most other years.

Dawgowar
09-28-2018, 07:59 PM

Hack - a different for what it's worth perspective. I know without getting involved in this board's political discussions there are fellow dogs with whom I vehemently disagree on politics. I also know that I do not let politics dictate my friendships. I know further that most of the same people in DC who yell and scream on TV will go to their kids weddings, birthdays, etc and play sports with each other. That said - I am so sick and tired of losing my various escapes FROM politics and real world BS that yes, I do walk away from some outlets if they go political. Rick wouldn't be one of them, columnists are opinions writers, little pointless to stay pissed beyond the one offensive column. The present day vitriol in this country has ruined comedy in most forms, you pick late night shows the way you do cable news outlets now, and sports are getting less enjoyable by the day. I fully empathize if anyone has hit their limit with the media these days. I have gone back to wire services and some other sites for the news. Don't even watch the news channels I agree with unless there is a natural disaster. Some of the sports outlets are making me rethink how I watch and listen. It's just tiresome all the screaming.

msbulldog
09-29-2018, 06:47 AM
Rick, let me thank you for helping me realize I had an actual autographed copy of your book 'Boo'.

As to your column, I have no personal reason to dislike DM, since I have never met him. I do appreciate what he did for us, even though his idea of what he did for us is overblown. However, I feel after his first 2 years, MSU never got his 100% effort and he was getting paid damn well for less than 100%. I wish him and his family much luck and good fortune after today.

As always Rick good read and thank you for your MSU columns.

Cooterpoot
09-29-2018, 09:19 AM
Had Dan not shut it down at Bama every season and left for another SEC school, I wouldn’t care. But he did, so he can suck it!

Todd4State
09-29-2018, 09:39 AM
Had Dan not shut it down at Bama every season and left for another SEC school, I wouldn’t care. But he did, so he can suck it!

Worst thing he did to me was shut it down in the Egg Bowl. He wins two out of the three among 2014, 2015, and 2017 and he is viewed much differently by me.

It not only cost us bragging rights- it cost us two Sugar Bowls.

Todd4State
09-29-2018, 09:40 AM
Rick to answer your question I won't boo him and I won't cheer for him either. Booing him feeds his ego which is what he wants.

robert
09-29-2018, 11:14 AM
Normally I only boo when the officials screw up. I will not be booing Dan and will try to restrain myself when Croom is introduced. Coach Sherrill gets a loud cowbell ring and a cheer.

tcdog70
09-29-2018, 12:08 PM
Why is it a question.. Boo the shit out of Him and the Gators. He is coming to our house hoping to stomp us. Go to Hell Dan.

basedog
09-29-2018, 12:49 PM
Well. This Is Our House! I've never ever been to Davis Wade Stadium and cheered for another team but less a visiting Coach!

See y'all at the game!

Political Hack
09-29-2018, 04:03 PM
Hack - a different for what it's worth perspective. I know without getting involved in this board's political discussions there are fellow dogs with whom I vehemently disagree on politics. I also know that I do not let politics dictate my friendships. I know further that most of the same people in DC who yell and scream on TV will go to their kids weddings, birthdays, etc and play sports with each other. That said - I am so sick and tired of losing my various escapes FROM politics and real world BS that yes, I do walk away from some outlets if they go political. Rick wouldn't be one of them, columnists are opinions writers, little pointless to stay pissed beyond the one offensive column. The present day vitriol in this country has ruined comedy in most forms, you pick late night shows the way you do cable news outlets now, and sports are getting less enjoyable by the day. I fully empathize if anyone has hit their limit with the media these days. I have gone back to wire services and some other sites for the news. Don't even watch the news channels I agree with unless there is a natural disaster. Some of the sports outlets are making me rethink how I watch and listen. It's just tiresome all the screaming.

That I can agree with. In this specific thread however, Rick didn't bring politics. Posters did. That's what I was reacting to, but I can absolutely sympathize with the point you and 65 are making. If you can't tell, I get annoyed when people talk politics.

ScoobaDawg
09-29-2018, 04:18 PM
Rick to answer your question I won't boo him and I won't cheer for him either. Booing him feeds his ego which is what he wants.

Exactly. the most powerful thing everyone could do is just be dead quiet.

Commercecomet24
09-29-2018, 04:20 PM

This! I really hope we don't boo him not because he doesn't deserve it but because I think he would get off on it!

BrunswickDawg
09-29-2018, 04:22 PM
This! I really hope we don't boo him not because he doesn't deserve it but because I think he would get off on it!

Well, my daughter just texted me that the student section broke out into a chant of "17 Dan Mullen" - so I think that hope is already gone.

Commercecomet24
09-29-2018, 04:23 PM
Well, my daughter just texted me that the student section broke out into a chant of "17 Dan Mullen" - so I think that hope is already gone.

Lol ouch!

msbulldog
09-29-2018, 04:46 PM

Reminds me of an ole miss game in Jackson and we saw Stan Torgeson (sp") walking down the steps, he was hard to miss. We all broke into 17 you Fat Stan!

Mutt the Hoople
09-29-2018, 04:58 PM
That cowardly sumbitch lying traitor LIED to our players and fans when he said he wasn't leaving...then slunk out of town like some little bitch afraid her pimp would beat her again.

Because of his incessant November job-hunting, we were NEVER prepared for Alabama nor Ole Miss. We pay him MILLIONS, give him a MILLION DOLLAR HOME, and he's plotting his exit from Starkvegas, instead of doing what we paid him MILLIONS to do, which is prepare and coach an SEC football team.

That hunchbacked gnome needs his ass kicked.