PDA

View Full Version : Looking back at our 1st 10 offensive possessions against UK

Irondawg
09-27-2018, 10:03 AM
Decided to torture myself and go back and see where it all went wrong each time and see how far behind the chains we were really getting on each drive.

#1 PF put us in 2nd and 18 - PUNT

#2 FS turns 2nd and 1 into 2-6 - PUNT

#3 FS and Delay, we convert a 3rd and 13 - TD (btw 59 yards passing on that 80 yard drive)

#4 clean 3 and out - PUNT

#5 FS puts us 1-15 - PUNT

#6 running out the clock essentially

#7 FS puts us 2-14 then we have the back to back bad drops - PUNT

#8 can't convert 3rd and 2 at midfield - PUNT

#9 sacks and holding get us 3rd and 39 - hosed by ref on picking up PI

#10 Fitz overthrows Mixon for INT

So not counting the drive where we essentially ran out the clock at the half, we had 2 clean drives out of our 9 while the game was in question.

confucius say
09-27-2018, 10:09 AM
Great post. We were behind the chains all night. And the 2-3 times we were not, we didn't execute via dropped passes and fitz missing a read on that 3rd and 2 you referenced (if he keeps there it may be a 50 yd td).

I think we win by double digits this Saturday.

Lord McBuckethead
09-27-2018, 10:38 AM
Not to mention, those first 3 or 4 drives had us deep on our side of the field.

Lord McBuckethead
09-27-2018, 10:39 AM
As all the coaches and players have said, we lost the game based on dumb mistakes. Execute 30% of the time and we win by 2 tds.

Political Hack
09-27-2018, 11:47 AM
I don't think most people understand how hard it is to keep a drive going after a penalty. You've essentially gotta make it up with an explosive play.

Dawg61
09-27-2018, 11:54 AM
We basically went 0'fer on offense while at the same time doing it at a snails pace

smootness
09-27-2018, 11:54 AM
The penalties are a large reason why I was so upset, and this just further affirms that. That is a coaching issue, and it has to be corrected.

Doggie_Style
09-27-2018, 12:10 PM
The penalties are a large reason why I was so upset, and this just further affirms that. That is a coaching issue, and it has to be corrected.

the issue with the false starts could have and should have been corrected DURING the game, no adjustments......that's what blew me away

Maroonthirteen
09-27-2018, 12:11 PM

Yep. It seems we had pre snap penalties and untimely play penalties all 4 games so far. I would chalk the Kentucky game up as anomaly but we have been consistently penalized it seems. We can’t continue to have these penalties Saturday and expect to win.

Irondawg
09-27-2018, 12:13 PM
And even then the playcalling - never running at Allen or trying a screen or anything. Hard to see without the coaches film but from Wyatt's study there appeared to be some massive holes that could have been exploited.

I also have concerns about how we preach a championship standard but we've been a little sloppy most of the year. We kept hearing about it getting cleaned up but instead it got way worse last Saturday. Very curious to see how it looks going forward.

Tbonewannabe
09-27-2018, 12:21 PM
And even then the playcalling - never running at Allen or trying a screen or anything. Hard to see without the coaches film but from Wyatt's study there appeared to be some massive holes that could have been exploited.

I also have concerns about how we preach a championship standard but we've been a little sloppy most of the year. We kept hearing about it getting cleaned up but instead it got way worse last Saturday. Very curious to see how it looks going forward.

This makes me wonder if we had some things called but Fitz was checking out of them. His reads might have told him to check into another play. I don't know if that was the case but it would make sense because JoMo said the defense did an excellent job disguising what they were doing.

Dawg61
09-27-2018, 12:26 PM
the issue with the false starts could have and should have been corrected DURING the game, no adjustments......that's what blew me away

Nothing was getting corrected all over the field

DownwardDawg
09-27-2018, 01:02 PM
Nothing was getting corrected all over the field

It was the worst coached State game in a long time.

fishwater99
09-27-2018, 01:06 PM
Not to mention, those first 3 or 4 drives had us deep on our side of the field.

All started with a short kickoff and we never got good field position after that.

Tbonewannabe
09-27-2018, 01:18 PM
It was the worst coached State game in a long time.

Did you watch the South Alabama game a couple of years ago? At least this was on the road against a good team in the rain, it was the definition of a trap game also.

Dawg61
09-27-2018, 01:44 PM
Did you watch the South Alabama game a couple of years ago? At least this was on the road against a good team in the rain, it was the definition of a trap game also.

The rain really did 17 us up. Allen was a close 2nd. He abused our tackles. Eiland is way too damn big to handle Allen.

Tbonewannabe
09-27-2018, 01:46 PM
The rain really did 17 us up. Allen was a close 2nd. He abused our tackles. Eiland is way too damn big to handle Allen.

I can't remember but we replaced Eiland at some point and the back up got abused almost just the same.

RougeDawg
09-27-2018, 01:59 PM
This makes me wonder if we had some things called but Fitz was checking out of them. His reads might have told him to check into another play. I don't know if that was the case but it would make sense because JoMo said the defense did an excellent job disguising what they were doing.

So why keep something hg what we were done by? If we know they are disguising well, why not change up the checks and try to catch them guess wrong?

Cooterpoot
09-27-2018, 02:04 PM
About half to those noted were manageable. #2- 2nd and 6 is not bad. #4 was clean. #6 we chose to run out the clock. #8 3rd and 2 should be easy for us.
We sucked. We played and coached terribly. The end.
Move on to FL.

DownwardDawg
09-27-2018, 02:21 PM

Of course I watched that game. The coaching wasn’t nearly as bad as it was this past Saturday. Mullen had no idea what to do at QB and it was a against a team we should have been able to sleepwaand beat. This past Saturday we had all the pieces in place and we were playing against a team we knew we had to play hard against to beat. Our coaching staff was totally lost Saturday. I hope they have it figured out now. Run. The. Damn. Football.

Tbonewannabe
09-27-2018, 02:50 PM
Of course I watched that game. The coaching wasn’t nearly as bad as it was this past Saturday. Mullen had no idea what to do at QB and it was a against a team we should have been able to sleepwalk and beat. This past Saturday we had all the pieces in place and we were playing against a team we knew we had to play hard against to beat. Our coaching staff was totally lost Saturday. I hope they have it figured out now. Run. The. Damn. Football.

UK was the a big time trap game. We had only lost to UK once in 9 years and we have UF coming up this week. UK is also a good team and we played on the road. Do you really think losing to South Alabama at home is equal to UK on the road? The UK game was a crappy game all the way around but there was a lot that went against us.

smootness
09-27-2018, 03:21 PM
UK was the a big time trap game. We had only lost to UK once in 9 years and we have UF coming up this week. UK is also a good team and we played on the road. Do you really think losing to South Alabama at home is equal to UK on the road? The UK game was a crappy game all the way around but there was a lot that went against us.

This was not a trap game, it was the biggest game we'd played all year to that point. And regardless, that is not even close to an excuse for laying the absolute egg we laid Saturday.

Who gives a crap about this dumb comparison to the South Alabama game? This is not Moorhead vs. Mullen. It's simply an evaluation of Moorhead and the current coaching staff. 'Nuh uh, this is NOT as bad as Mullen's worse loss ever,' is not a ringing endorsement of our new coach 4 games into a season we all thought could result in at least 9-10 wins.

msstate7
09-27-2018, 03:21 PM

When weighing the 2 losses, consider the talent level of both teams and the expectations. In 2016, we were nowhere close to an sec west contender

Todd4State
09-27-2018, 03:26 PM
When weighing the 2 losses, consider the talent level of both teams and the expectations. In 2016, we were nowhere close to an sec west contender

So you think that we weren't expected to beat South Alabama in 2016?

Is that you Croom?

Tbonewannabe
09-27-2018, 03:38 PM

MSU >>>>>>>>>>>South Alabama

MSU>>UK

It isn't like UK is the normal UK crap program a long time ago.

I will say it seems like the players and the coaches screwed up about as much as possible. We will definitely know what kind of coach we have this Saturday. I think at the end of the year that UK will be a good team but without the penalties we still had the talent to win. I am very disappointed in the lack of adjustments made by the coaching staff.

Dawg61
09-27-2018, 03:39 PM

Lol you're actually arguing Dan Mullen in his 7th year losing the home opener to a Sun Belt school that went 6-7 is somehow not worse than Moorhead losing his very first SEC game on the road in the rain vs the #2 team in the SEC East.

msstate7
09-27-2018, 03:46 PM
This site has built Kentucky into some good program. Whatever though, Moorhead killed it last week. Who wants to win 10 games anyway?

Dawg61
09-27-2018, 03:56 PM
This site has built Kentucky into some good program. Whatever though, Moorhead killed it last week. Who wants to win 10 games anyway?

Currently Kentucky is a good program. Remember how frustrated we used to get when the rest of the CFB world kept picking us to finish last in the West despite continuously going to bowl games? Sometimes you gotta recognize when a program has turned a corner. That's Kentucky currently. Will they sustain it past this season? Yet to be determined but it actually makes sense that Kentucky would finally be getting better now that Tennessee has fallen way off, Florida has fallen back some, South Carolina still can't get back to Spurrier days and Louisville is starting to look pretty bad as well. The entire East can't be a shit show besides Georgia. That's just impossible. Somebody has to rise up if the traditional powers fall back.

Cooterpoot
09-27-2018, 03:58 PM
I'm agreeing with MS7 too much lately. 2016 was a rebuild year. And it's part of why we've got so much juco talent on the team now. KY will be a middle of the road SEC team with a good record due to the east schedule. Won't be surprised if they lose this week but SC isn't great either. We should be a top 3-4 SEC team.

msstate7
09-27-2018, 03:58 PM
Currently Kentucky is a good program. Remember how frustrated we used to get when the rest of the CFB world kept picking us to finish last in the West despite continuously going to bowl games? Sometimes you gotta recognize when a program has turned a corner. That's Kentucky currently. Will they sustain it past this season? Yet to be determined but it actually makes sense that Kentucky would finally be getting better now that Tennessee has fallen way off, Florida has fallen back some, South Carolina still can't get back to Spurrier days and Louisville is starting to look pretty bad as well. The entire East can't be a shit show besides Georgia. That's just impossible. Somebody has to rise up if the traditional powers fall back.

We'll see how much they've turned the corner as the season plays out. I think South Carolina beats them Saturday night.

msstate7
09-27-2018, 03:59 PM
I'm agreeing with MS7 too much lately..

Better get that checked out lol

BrunswickDawg
09-27-2018, 04:08 PM

We weren't a west contender, but we were far better than a 5-7 team back-dooring into a bowl to get a 6th win. If Dan had given two shits about MSU and not spent the offseason pouting about not getting the Miami gig we probably have a QB situation squared away in Spring camp instead of USA game week; which leads to beating USA, and possibly beating LSU, BYU, and UK. All winnable games where we were as talented or better on paper than the other team.

Instead Dan splits the locker room and it takes half the season to get the team on the same page. So yeah, I consider the USA loss incredibly big in terms of what was going on that season.

smootness
09-27-2018, 04:20 PM
So you think that we weren't expected to beat South Alabama in 2016?

Is that you Croom?

You know who that 2016 team did beat? Kentucky

Todd4State
09-27-2018, 04:22 PM

They're good this year compared to their historical norm. You can attempt to spin it how you want but they're almost a shoe in to win 8 games this year and have already beaten ya boy Dan at Gainesville for the first time in 31 years.

No one is saying that Joe did a good job last week or that we shouldn't have been able to beat them. We're saying that they're better than South Alabama 2016 and Heaven forbid yes, Dan lost a game that would be considered worse than Joe has so far by rational people that aren't going completely off the rails.

We're saying 8 win SEC teams are better than 6 win Sun Belt teams.

Todd4State
09-27-2018, 04:22 PM

No we didn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_South_Alabama_Jaguars_football_team

And even worse- South Alabama that year played two FCS teams and took one of them to OT.

msstate7
09-27-2018, 04:23 PM

No they didn't. It was Mullen's only loss to them... on a last second fg, not a 3-td beat down

msstate7
09-27-2018, 04:27 PM
After the USA loss, Mullen rebounded nicely with a drubbing of South Carolina. Let's hope Moorhead does the same.

smootness
09-27-2018, 04:28 PM
No we didn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_South_Alabama_Jaguars_football_team

And even worse- South Alabama that year played two FCS teams and took one of them to OT.

Oh, I'm dumb. I was looking at Kentucky's schedule that year and saw the W and mixed it up. My b.

So the only time Mullen lost to Kentucky was a year in which he also lost to South Alabama and won 5 regular season games.

Bodes well for this year!

Dawg61
09-27-2018, 04:36 PM
No they didn't. It was Mullen's only loss to them... on a last second fg, not a 3-td beat down

Beat down? Come on man it was 14-7 with 8 minutes left in the game. We only gave up 300 yards on defense and that's with our offense producing almost nothing the entire game and surrendering two very late scores. We got almost half our total offensive yards in one drive.

msstate7
09-27-2018, 04:40 PM
Beat down? Come on man it was 14-7 with 8 minutes left in the game. We only gave up 300 yards on defense and that's with our offense producing almost nothing the entire game and surrendering two very late scores. We got almost half our total offensive yards in one drive.

We only managed 201 yards.

Todd4State
09-27-2018, 04:43 PM

As the title of the thread suggests- penalties really killed us. If we even manage to cut that in half- very good chance we pull out a win. Kentucky didn't really stop us as much as we stopped us ourselves.

Dawg61
09-27-2018, 04:46 PM
We only managed 201 yards.

And they only managed 300 (220 before their two late scores). It was a very ugly game played in 4 hours of a rain storm.

msstate7
09-27-2018, 04:46 PM
And they only managed 300 (220 before their two late scores). It was a very ugly game played in 4 hours of a rain storm.

Uglier for 1 side

Dawg61
09-27-2018, 04:48 PM
Uglier for 1 side

Yea I noticed

Turfdawg67
09-27-2018, 07:09 PM

Somebody's been drinking... at least I hope so.

Turfdawg67
09-27-2018, 07:15 PM

Geez, big D... it was 7 pts with 8 minutes left. It was an ugly game... not a beat down.

(7's response, foreshadowing)
"Yeah but the final score, man. Go Braves!"

Homedawg
09-27-2018, 07:15 PM

250 rushing vs 56. That's all I need to know.

msstate7
09-27-2018, 07:22 PM
Geez, big D... it was 7 pts with 8 minutes left. It was an ugly game... not a beat down.

(7's response, foreshadowing)
"Yeah but the final score, man. Go Braves!"

We got held to 201 total yards... by Kentucky, not bama. Murray state got 302. Here's each of Kentucky's opponents yds/play: central Michigan 3.86, Florida 5.37, Murray st 4.87, and us 3.35. They destroyed our offense... total beat down of Moorhead's offense. We only had 62 more yards of offense than penalty yards

Dawg61
09-27-2018, 07:59 PM
We got held to 201 total yards... by Kentucky, not bama. Murray state got 302. Here's each of Kentucky's opponents yds/play: central Michigan 3.86, Florida 5.37, Murray st 4.87, and us 3.35. They destroyed our offense... total beat down of Moorhead's offense. We only had 62 more yards of offense than penalty yards

Nobody is saying our offense wasn't total shit. If it's still total shit when it ain't raining and we don't have a billion penalties I'll be concerned. Till then it's just Moorhead getting gaped in his first SEC road game. He'll be better here on.

Turfdawg67
09-27-2018, 08:08 PM
Nobody is saying our offense wasn't total shit. If it's still total shit when it ain't raining and we don't have a billion penalties I'll be concerned. Till then it's just Moorhead getting gaped in his first SEC road game. He'll be better here on.

You are speaking to deaf ears. Homodawg and MS7 don't want to hear logic... only our shortcomings!

msstate7
09-27-2018, 08:11 PM
You are speaking to deaf ears. Homodawg and MS7 don't want to hear logic... only our shortcomings!

Logic is blaming it on the rain? Are you and 61 the real voice in the milli vanilli classic, Blame it on the rain?

Dawg61
09-27-2018, 08:15 PM
Logic is blaming it on the rain? Are you and 61 the real voice in the milli vanilli classic, Blame it on the rain?

Name another game this offense played in a 4 hour rain storm.

msstate7
09-27-2018, 08:21 PM

Name another game where we played a defense with a pulse

Dawg61
09-27-2018, 08:25 PM
Name another game where we played a defense with a pulse

You're right we'll obviously only average 200 yards of offense here on.

msstate7
09-27-2018, 08:27 PM
You're right we'll obviously only average 200 yards of offense here on.

Only if it rains, milli

Homedawg
09-27-2018, 08:31 PM

No. I stated facts. And I don't want to see that set of facts again. It was a whipping against a team w less talent. We are better than that. Or should be.

Homedawg
09-27-2018, 08:33 PM

Funny how it didn't stop them from ramming it down our ass. Never thought you'd be the guy w so many excuses. I expect us to win sat. If we don't.........this is a crash and burn.

msstate7
09-27-2018, 08:35 PM
And for the record, I think we bounce back and win this week. I won't forgive Moorhead and the team for that crap show last week though. I wanted 10 wins this regular season, and that Kentucky loss gives us no margin of error with bama loss already written in sharpie.

Dawg61
09-27-2018, 08:50 PM
And for the record, I think we bounce back and win this week. I won't forgive Moorhead and the team for that crap show last week though. I wanted 10 wins this regular season, and that Kentucky loss gives us no margin of error with bama loss already written in sharpie.

Maybe you should cry about it all week long and make us all suffer more.

Dawg61
09-27-2018, 08:52 PM
Funny how it didn't stop them from ramming it down our ass. Never thought you'd be the guy w so many excuses. I expect us to win sat. If we don't.........this is a crash and burn.

We shitting on our defense now too? Usually teams win more than lose when they only give up 300 total yards.

msstate7
09-27-2018, 08:54 PM
Maybe you should cry about it all week long and make us all suffer more.

I plan on it... few more weeks too. It was a pathetic awful loss

Dawg61
09-27-2018, 08:57 PM

Foambat broke you

dawgday166
09-27-2018, 09:05 PM

LOL. Deep breath iiinnn ... let it out slooowwwlly. Relax and breathe deeply. Now have another Scotch or Bourbon ... or both ***

msstate7
09-27-2018, 09:10 PM
LOL. Deep breath iiinnn ... let it out slooowwwlly. Relax and breathe deeply. Now have another Scotch or Bourbon ... or both ***

Few and far between are the years where we have a legitimate shot at 10 regular season wins. I chalked LSU and bama up as losses, and planned on winning the others. I don't think we can win at LSU to make up the Kentucky loss, and I have no confidence we can run the table on the others. Kentucky was a must win to get 10 imo. Sucks we messed up our shot to semi-contend... aTm's move to auburn/LSU level leaves us no shot at 10 in foreseeable years

dawgday166
09-27-2018, 09:14 PM
Few and far between are the years where we have a legitimate shot at 10 regular season wins. I chalked LSU and bama up as losses, and planned on winning the others. I don't think we can win at LSU to make up the Kentucky loss, and I have no confidence we can run the table on the others. Kentucky was a must win to get 10 imo. Sucks we messed up our shot to semi-contend... aTm's move to auburn/LSU level leaves us no shot at 10 in foreseeable years

If we can win this weekend, we still have AU, LSU, and TAM (Bama's a loss). If Moorhead can get it turned around, LSU has major Oline issues. Bunch of injuries and moving DL over to OL that's how depleted they are. We gotta be able to score against Aranda tho ... big concern there. AU has Oline issues too. Depending on if we can turn it around or not, the team I fear the worst is TAM. There QB can move ... the other 2 QBs can't.

It does kinda suck that we lost to KY but ... it might have woken us up too. Not saying it has ... saying it might have.

Percho
09-27-2018, 09:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAAKPJEq1Ew

dawgday166
09-27-2018, 09:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAAKPJEq1Ew

Dammit man ... that teared me up ****

TUSK
09-27-2018, 09:29 PM

LSU and AU are very beatable, IMO... Hell, I think they both kinda "suck" right now...

AU struggled (especially the OL) at home vs Arkie (super shitty) and LSU is the same ole LSU save a slightly "less than shitty" QB...

Ole Miss is extree shitty... A&M is lookin' much improved (certainly "better than shitty")...

The West isn't nearly as stout as a lot of people thought it'd be... Ya just gotta not play so shitty next go around....

Commercecomet24
09-27-2018, 09:31 PM
LSU and AU are very beatable, IMO... Hell, I think they both kinda "suck" right now...

AU struggled (especially the OL) at home vs Arkie (super shitty) and LSU is the same ole LSU save a slightly "less than shitty" QB...

Ole Miss is extree shitty... A&M is lookin' much improved (certainly "better than shitty")...

The West isn't nearly as stout as a lot of people thought it'd be... Ya just gotta not play so shitty next go around....

How is it you say it.,,,,,I'll allow it

dawgday166
09-27-2018, 09:32 PM
My thinking ... The KY game woke us up. The guys are gonna say "F*** it, we ain't losing again!!!" Go into Bama with 1 loss, slap their less than outstanding Oline and D around some, walk out with a 7 point win. F*** Saban. Bama's beatable.

Dawg2003
09-27-2018, 09:36 PM

Yup. This was the year to get to a New Year's Six Bowl, which is pretty much our ceiling. And everything has to fall just right for that to happen. The thing about a program like ours is that you can't afford to loose to KY. That can never happen. Arkansas is terrible, but everyone else in the SEC West is a potential loss every year. We don't play in the ACC. Even when LSU and Ole Miss are having down years, we can still lose to them.

And we're not going to Atlanta for the forseeable future. I'm all about having high expectations, but we just can't recruit at that level. We can go to Omaha, and we can go to the final four. But we're not going to Atlanta. I mean, you literally have to catch LSU, Auburn, Alabama and, Texas A&M all down in the same year. This is why I pretty much just accept football for what it is and don't have any expectations for our team.

TUSK
09-27-2018, 09:38 PM
My thinking ... The KY game woke us up. The guys are gonna say "F*** it, we ain't losing again!!!" Go into Bama with 1 loss, slap their less than outstanding Oline and D around some, walk out with a 7 point win. F*** Saban. Bama's beatable.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/sites/fieldandstream.com/files/styles/655_1x_/public/import/2014/import/BlogPost/embed/BigHook.jpg?itok=-WPkwK6a

dawgday166
09-27-2018, 09:42 PM
https://www.fieldandstream.com/sites/fieldandstream.com/files/styles/655_1x_/public/import/2014/import/BlogPost/embed/BigHook.jpg?itok=-WPkwK6a

Took you long enough. They are beatable tho. Not by us but by somebody unless the Oline and D get a lot better ... which they will. Gotta watch big, slow white TE too. He was the back breaker. Saban tricky and slipped that one in on Jimbo. Can't gift TDs to Bama with stupid picks to start game either.

ETA: They won't lose tho till SECC game or CFP.

TUSK
09-27-2018, 09:50 PM
Took you long enough. They are beatable tho. Not by us but by somebody unless the Oline and D get a lot better ... which they will. Gotta watch big, slow white TE too. He was the back breaker. Saban tricky and slipped that one in on Jimbo. Can't gift TDs to Bama with stupid picks to start game either.

ETA: They won't lose tho till SECC game or CFP.

I think you're correct... with a few turnovers and poor play by Bammer, I believe UGA, OSU and maybe Okie would have a chance at the upset...

If we can get the LB situation straightened out and continue to minimize TOs & convert on 3rd down, it's gonna be boring.

dawgday166
09-27-2018, 09:55 PM
I think you're correct... with a few turnovers and poor play by Bammer, I believe UGA, OSU and maybe Okie would have a chance at the upset...

If we can get out LB situation straightened out and continue to minimize TOs & convert on 3rd down, it's gonna be boring.

TAM made some critical mistakes and the TE hurt them a few times. A good front 7 will give your Oline problems cause TAM did a few times. Gotta have the back end too tho. I think teams can run on you too, as long as they can also throw so your D has to play honest and not load the box.

ETA: Which means it really takes a pretty well rounded team to exploit your flaws. Ain't many of those.

I will give it to Saban tho ... sheer brilliance telling writers to write about how bad they are. So now writers are pointing out their flaws and getting them right too. That little midget F***er. **

Dawg61
09-27-2018, 09:56 PM
Only for sure loss we have left is Bama. We can beat everyone else and we will if our defense keeps holding everyone to 300 yards. Our offense will never play that shitty again (unless it's vs Bama then maybe).

msstate7
09-27-2018, 09:59 PM
Only for sure loss we have left is Bama. We can beat everyone else and we will if our defense keeps holding everyone to 300 yards. Our offense will never play that shitty again (unless it's vs Bama then maybe).

I think we can, but it will be tough. If the crowd at Kentucky gave our oline trouble, imagine Death Valley.

TUSK
09-27-2018, 10:05 PM
TAM made some critical mistakes and the TE hurt them a few times. A good front 7 will give your Oline problems cause TAM did a few times. Gotta have the back end too tho. I think teams can run on you too, as long as they can also throw so your D has to play honest and not load the box. ETA:

Which means it really takes a pretty well rounded team to exploit your flaws.

I will give it to Saban tho ... sheer brilliance telling writers to write about how bad they are. So now writers are pointing out their flaws and getting them right too. That F***er.

You made a couple really good points there, buddy... If a team has a baddass DL (AU, CLM, MSU, etc) that can simultaneously stuff the run game while affecting (effecting?) and containing Tua using 4 or fewer and their DBs can cover Bammer's WR corps/TE they will have a good chance if their offense can score ~40+...

Dawg61
09-27-2018, 10:09 PM
I think we can, but it will be tough. If the crowd at Kentucky gave our oline trouble, imagine Death Valley.

The most troubling thing I've seen from our team the last two SEC games is their inability to not let the opponent get in their heads. Word is out now that all you gotta do to beat us is talk a bunch of shit and we'll melt.

dawgday166
09-27-2018, 10:09 PM
You made a couple really good points there, buddy... If a team has a baddass DL (AU, CLM, MSU, etc) that can simultaneously stuff the run game while affecting (effecting?) and containing Tua using 4 or fewer and their DBs can cover Bammer's WR corps/TE they will have a good chance if their offense can score ~40+...

Yea ... it's gonna take a lot no doubt. After I read that I said hell, it will take a helluva a team ha. Although, if TAM played them again at TAM and knowing about the TE now, they might could give you a better tussle. Playing in Ttown is a tough gig.

If you had your typical game manager type QB, y'all be in trouble. But seriously, there are maybe 2 or 3 in country that can beat you maybe, and it's all because of Tua and WRs mostly. Everything y'all usually super at, is not there yet this year.

TUSK
09-27-2018, 10:18 PM
Yea ... it's gonna take a lot no doubt. After I read that I said hell, it will take a helluva a team ha. Although, if TAM played them again at TAM and knowing about the TE now, they might could give you a better tussle. Playing in Ttown is a tough gig.

If you had your typical game manager type QB, y'all be in trouble. But seriously, there are maybe 2 or 3 in country that can beat you maybe, and it's all because of Tua and WRs mostly. Everything y'all usually super at, is not there yet this year.

Yeah, the QB/WR/TE thing just made this all ridiculous, IMO...

However, don't underestimate the defense, buddy... (The O is just atypically good for a Bammer team.) There are prolly 8 or 10 NFL guys on this D, they just still "finding themselves"...

dawgday166
09-27-2018, 10:27 PM
Yeah, the QB/WR/TE thing just made this all ridiculous, IMO...

However, don't underestimate the defense, buddy... (The O is just atypically good for a Bammer team.) There are prolly 8 or 10 NFL guys on this D, they just still "finding themselves"...

Most times a QB/WR/TE combo by itself won't win a championship, no matter how good they are. And if for some reason they have an off day ... big problems then. D usually wins out long term. That's why Saban's overall philosophy is D comes first cause the O can have a bad day.

I did caveat everything with a "not there yet" in my post. Saban will get them better as usual. How good is the question.

TUSK
09-27-2018, 10:32 PM
Most times a QB/WR/TE combo by itself won't win a championship, no matter how good they are. And if for some reason they have an off day ... big problems then. D usually wins out long term. That's why Saban's overall philosophy is D comes first cause the O can have a bad day.

I did caveat everything with a "not there yet" in my post. Saban will get them better as usual. How good is the question.

You're dead on, with that... I look to see Bammer start to run the ball a teeny bit more come November and reduce the "volatility" of game control...

Oh, did I mention we're 3-4 deep with NFL RBs?
https://www.theonlinefisherman.com/images/00_reel_news/2014/12/15/corks-bobbers-floats-teaser.jpg

Commercecomet24
09-27-2018, 10:33 PM
You're dead on, with that... I look to see Bammer start to run the ball a teeny bit more come November and reduce the "volatility" of game control...

https://www.theonlinefisherman.com/images/00_reel_news/2014/12/15/corks-bobbers-floats-teaser.jpg

Y'all need to get a room lol.

dawgday166
09-28-2018, 06:21 AM

I knew you were deep at RB. Odd thing tho ... they having trouble running ball cause Oline isn't that dominant. Not sure that unit will get up to historical levels either. They weren't good last year either ... actually very, very average. We won't revisit what all I think went down to hand that Natty to Bama last year ***

Also not sure they are all NFL RBs, and most Bama backs are not outstanding NFL backs anyway ... dare I say Trent Richardson, the guy Jim Brown said would never make it before he was drafted. It's easy to gain a lot of yards behind a dominant Oline when running through gaping holes and not touched by the D for the first 5 to 7 yards upfield. Check out Derrick Henry, who I said I didn't think he'd be that great in NFL. 3.2 yds/carry. Goes down too easy. At Bama, rarely touched but when he was, he went down. Then would burst a 50 yarder about every 7 or 8 plays. D. Harris will probably be a productive NFL back tho.

Bama Oline just isn't that good yet this year, as I said might be the case going into this year. We'll see how that turns out. Y'all are averaging only 5.38 yd/carry and ain't played no one except TAM.

Oline also hasn't faced an exceptional Dline/Front 7 with very good pressure on QB. Not too many of those in college tho. And Bama plays maybe 2 or 3 that are pretty good, not counting postseason. It will take one to affect Tua adversely. Those WRs get open quick and are wide open too. And he can hit them in stride. That's what separates Bama from everyone else right now.

https://i1.wp.com/fishinglbi.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/img_3715.jpg?ssl=1

dawgday166
09-28-2018, 06:38 AM
Y'all need to get a room lol.

LOL. Tusk keeps forgetting those other 8 "players" on the field that help Bama starting 11's out each close game against good teams. Every real good team plays 19 opposing "players" on each snap ****

MedDawg
09-28-2018, 08:35 AM
3-4 deep with NFL RBs?

since 2009.

Bully13
09-28-2018, 08:42 AM
If a RB is gonna get paid (NFL $ that is), he needs to have high YAC #'s.

Dental Dawg33
09-28-2018, 09:25 AM

We have to take the crowd out of it early.

msstate7
09-28-2018, 09:31 AM
We have to take the crowd out of it early.

Yep. Opening drive td