PDA

View Full Version : DJ Stewart

Dawg61
09-26-2018, 10:18 PM
need a little break from the football melt? Here's DJ Stewart freshman basketball player for MSU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23eRFm9r6V0

Bothrops
09-27-2018, 12:05 AM
OV this weekend, fingers crossed.

Dawg61
09-27-2018, 12:32 AM

Howland lands that fish it'll improve the mood around here for sure

Pit Bull
09-27-2018, 05:32 AM

Thought he was already committed? What happened?

timotheus
09-27-2018, 05:50 AM
Thought he was already committed? What happened?

He is currently a freshman on the team.

msbulldog
09-27-2018, 06:03 AM
Ya'll are thinking of DJ Jefferies, who is OVing this weekend, top player in Mississippi this year.

msstate7
09-27-2018, 06:30 AM
He is currently a freshman on the team.

My sources say howland will get him

ZedFedder
09-27-2018, 06:57 AM
Speaking of, what are our chances with DJ Jeffries?

Dawg61
09-27-2018, 09:25 AM

Howland lands that fish it'll improve the mood around here for sure

I am aware Stewart is on our team that's why I started a thread about him being a freshman on our team. I'm also aware Jefferies is OVing this weekend thus the "Howland lands that fish it'll improve the mood" comment. Carry on.

Bully13
09-27-2018, 09:34 AM
anybody have any info as to how much playing time / impact he may have for us this year? film looks awesome. thanks 61.

smootness
09-27-2018, 09:41 AM
I am aware Stewart is on our team that's why I started a thread about him being a freshman on our team. I'm also aware Jefferies is OVing this weekend thus the "Howland lands that fish it'll improve the mood" comment. Carry on.

Perhaps he was talking about Bothrops and Pit Bull?

Dawg61
09-27-2018, 09:47 AM
Perhaps he was talking about Bothrops and Pit Bull?

Maybe lol this thread got strange. Back to the video though DJ Stewart has some serious hops and a pretty nice lefty stroke from outside.

MCsMGs
09-27-2018, 10:13 AM
anybody have any info as to how much playing time / impact he may have for us this year? film looks awesome. thanks 61.

I recently had a chance to ask Coach about how he was gonna manage minutes for all these guys...His comment was "winning makes that a lot easier". My guess is that some of these guys are not gonna get the minutes they want/expect this year, but will be getting groomed for next year. Managing that is not going to be easy with the depth of talent we have and may be Howland's biggest challenge this year.

As for Stewart, I was told he can get his head above the rim.

LC Dawg
09-27-2018, 02:52 PM
This is my favorite thread this week. Being confused is much better than being pissed.

Pit Bull
09-27-2018, 05:11 PM
Ya'll are thinking of DJ Jefferies, who is OVing this weekend, top player in Mississippi this year.

OK.....now makes sense.

Pit Bull
09-27-2018, 05:15 PM
I recently had a chance to ask Coach about how he was gonna manage minutes for all these guys...His comment was "winning makes that a lot easier". My guess is that some of these guys are not gonna get the minutes they want/expect this year, but will be getting groomed for next year. Managing that is not going to be easy with the depth of talent we have and may be Howland's biggest challenge this year.

As for Stewart, I was told he can get his head above the rim.

I know one thing.....I am just under 6'5", played basketball in high school and walked on for a little while at MSU. My most difficult defending assignments were guys who were lefthanders. Period. They do everything opposite of what your mind as a righthander would do. It's always hard to defend a lefty.....especially one who shoots well from the outside like DJ Stewart. He will be a tough cookie IMO.

Bully13
09-27-2018, 05:21 PM
I know one thing.....I am just under 6'5", played basketball in high school and walked on for a little while at MSU. My most difficult defending assignments were guys who were lefthanders. Period. They do everything opposite of what your mind as a righthander would do. It's always hard to defend a lefty.....especially one who shoots well from the outside like DJ Stewart. He will be a tough cookie IMO.

Thank you for walking on at MSU. Please post more about hoops.

msbulldog
09-27-2018, 05:53 PM
I went the school (Riverside) Stewart comes from in the 6th through the 9th grade and that ain't the same gym I played in. I guess I'm so old the old gym just went back to dust! Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, if the whiskey don't get me then the women must!

Bully13
09-27-2018, 05:58 PM
I went the school (Riverside) Stewart comes from in the 6th through the 9th grade and that ain't the same gym I played in. I guess I'm so old the old gym just went back to dust! Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, if the whiskey don't get me then the women must!

LOL MSBULLDOG. I remember after we beat the Bear in '80, it was "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, if old age don't get you, the Bulldogs Must!' (ode to Bear Bryant)

timotheus
09-27-2018, 10:02 PM
Speaking of, what are our chances with DJ Jeffries?

I have seen him play multiple times. He originally committed to UK and then backed off after Penny got the Memphis job. One of my high school showcase friends say that Jeffries is totally open at this time. I still say that he ends up in Memphis but we shall see.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-27-2018, 10:05 PM
I have seen him play multiple times. He originally committed to UK and then backed off after Penny got the Memphis job. One of my high school showcase friends say that Jeffries is totally open at this time. I still say that he ends up in Memphis but we shall see.

Memphis people aren't even confident in pulling him right now. He may end up at Memphis but if he was deciding tonight it would be MSU.

Dawg61
09-27-2018, 10:10 PM
Memphis people aren't even confident in pulling him right now. He may end up at Memphis but if he was deciding tonight it would be MSU.

I love it when you talk wooly to us

msstate7
09-27-2018, 10:11 PM

Howland is a BA. I would never doubt him.

KentuckyDawg13
09-28-2018, 06:17 AM
Have always thought he was the surprise of our signing class last year with the other "stars" we got too. Dude can play.

msstate7
09-28-2018, 07:29 AM
On the subject of basketball, is the 4 the only starting position up in the air? Gotta figure our line up is...

Peters
Nick
Q
Holman/Perry
Ado

Could carter or Woodard push their way in?

I love this team. I think this will be the best men's team miss state fields/courts this season. I expect us to contend in the sec and be at least a sweet 16 team

louisvilledawg
09-28-2018, 07:40 AM

I mean i don't know how Memphis isn't the favorite.

He played for team Penny on the AAU Circuit, he's from just south of Memphis.

smootness
09-28-2018, 08:11 AM
On the subject of basketball, is the 4 the only starting position up in the air? Gotta figure our line up is...

Peters
Nick
Q
Holman/Perry
Ado

Could carter or Woodard push their way in?

I love this team. I think this will be the best men's team miss state fields/courts this season. I expect us to contend in the sec and be at least a sweet 16 team

I can't see any way Carter or Woodard end up starting, barring injury.

And yes, I think the 4 is the only position where we don't know who will get the majority of playing time. Having said that, I think you'll see a bunch of different lineups. Some with Holman at the 5 when we go small, some with Peters at the point, some with Nick at the point. Shoot, we could even play Q at the point with Carter, Woodard, Perry, and Ado with him.

msstate7
09-28-2018, 08:17 AM
I can't see any way Carter or Woodard end up starting, barring injury.

And yes, I think the 4 is the only position where we don't know who will get the majority of playing time. Having said that, I think you'll see a bunch of different lineups. Some with Holman at the 5 when we go small, some with Peters at the point, some with Nick at the point. Shoot, we could even play Q at the point with Carter, Woodard, Perry, and Ado with him.

Only reason I mentioned carter and Woodard is I think our weakness could be outside shooting. If one of those 2 could consistently hit the 3, I think they could force their way in

ZedFedder
09-28-2018, 08:33 AM
Any chance DJ Jeffries could commit this weekend?

smootness
09-28-2018, 08:44 AM
Only reason I mentioned carter and Woodard is I think our weakness could be outside shooting. If one of those 2 could consistently hit the 3, I think they could force their way in

But both Peters and Q should be and have been good shooters in the past. I don't know what happened last year, where literally everyone's shooting numbers decreased by quite a bit, but hopefully we've got that fixed.

And I just don't see them starting anyway. Even if they're better shooting options, I still see them coming off the bench.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-28-2018, 09:06 AM
I mean i don't know how Memphis isn't the favorite.

He played for team Penny on the AAU Circuit, he's from just south of Memphis.

ok name me 5 players that Penny molded for the NBA? It has been said over and over and over by DJ and his father that he likes that Howland has gotten players to the NBA and DJ wants to get there as soon as possible. That might be what it comes down to.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-28-2018, 09:07 AM
Any chance DJ Jeffries could commit this weekend?

yes

RiverCityDawg
09-28-2018, 09:54 AM
ok name me 5 players that Penny molded for the NBA? It has been said over and over and over by DJ and his father that he likes that Howland has gotten players to the NBA and DJ wants to get there as soon as possible. That might be what it comes down to.

That's fine, but I think you're underestimating the pull Penny has in the Memphis area. And then of course he played in the league at a high level so kids will believe him when he says he knows what it takes to get there.

MCsMGs
09-28-2018, 02:57 PM

Another take away from my recent conversation with coach was that he had watched the shoot around the day before for an hour and a half and he never saw Tyson miss a shot the whole time. If he can consistently bring that on game day, he will be an integral part of our success. He also said that his defensive intensity was on a whole different level from last year.

If Reggie consistently sees more minutes than Holman, we will be a sweet 16 team. (my take)

MCsMGs
09-28-2018, 05:16 PM
But both Peters and Q should be and have been good shooters in the past. I don't know what happened last year, where literally everyone's shooting numbers decreased by quite a bit, but hopefully we've got that fixed.

And I just don't see them starting anyway. Even if they're better shooting options, I still see them coming off the bench.

Peters and Q won't be coming off the bench...unless Peters blanks out like he did in OOC play last year and Q is hurt.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-28-2018, 11:01 PM
anybody have any info as to how much playing time / impact she may have for us this year? film looks awesome.

FIFY

wait, you mean the basketball player not the girl.. My bad.