PDA

View Full Version : Did some R&D on keto/gluten free fried food

BeastMan
09-26-2018, 03:16 PM
This week I fried fish, shrimp, and chicken using food processed pork rinds as the batter. It?s actually really damn good. The consistency is very similar to panko. Do not use egg wash or buttermilk as your binding agent. The only thing I could use to make it stick was whole eggs. Just beat some eggs and coat your meat with that. If you?re watching carbs or someone in your family can?t do gluten, I highly recommend trying this to scratch the fried food itch. Even if you aren?t doing it for health, just try it. Last thing, pork skins grind down to almost nothing. 2 of the big Kroger brand bags was barely enough to do 20 fish filets.

Bully13
09-27-2018, 05:18 PM
This week I fried fish, shrimp, and chicken using food processed pork rinds as the batter. It?s actually really damn good. The consistency is very similar to panko. Do not use egg wash or buttermilk as your binding agent. The only thing I could use to make it stick was whole eggs. Just beat some eggs and coat your meat with that. If you?re watching carbs or someone in your family can?t do gluten, I highly recommend trying this to scratch the fried food itch. Even if you aren?t doing it for health, just try it. Last thing, pork skins grind down to almost nothing. 2 of the big Kroger brand bags was barely enough to do 20 fish filets.

Interesting Beast. I happen to be a nutrition nerd. When I cook my fish, I soak them in beaten eggs then sprinkle bread crumbs. Never thought of pork skins though. I've always been a fan of pork skins. Even though I'm a nutrition nerd, I still like my butter, pork chops & steaks. Even though I rarely eat bread , rice or potatoes (have replaced with beans, quinoe, & other more nutricious starches) , I don't consider my occasional bread crumbs or pork skins to be that bad.

The major changes I've made involve no more soft drinks, bread and shit. Also, I've incorporated a lot more high fiber fruits and veggies on a daily basis. I feel those changes give me some flexibility on other stuff. I've also replaced my late night sweet tooth with plain yogurt mixed with honey & fresh chopped fruits.