PDA

View Full Version : JoMo Has A Lot at Stake Saturday......

ShotgunDawg
09-26-2018, 01:09 PM
Most of us have mentioned that, while we are very disappointed about the Kentucky game, we understand that games like that happen to everyone & it’s more about how JoMo responds that counts. I think most feel that way & have acknowledged that, however, I think there is something more at stake Saturday than the support of the fan base & that is the trust of the players.

When a new coach takes over a program, regardless of the level or current status of that team, every new coach has to get “buy in”. Every new coach must convince players that their plan works & will help the team & player reach their goals. Every player & coach will say in public that they are “all in” & that they trust the new staff, yada, yada, yada, but trust isn’t built through meeting rooms, practice, or the media. Trust is built in hard times & when things get difficult, just like a marriage. Marriages aren’t built on the honeymoon, they are built on what happens after fights, arguements, & disagreements.

What JoMo has the opportunity to do on Saturday is unique. Not only does he & his staff get to show how they respond to adversity, they also get to do it against our player’s former coaching staff. If they win, I think getting complete buy in from the players will be significantly easier because 1. The staff will have responded to adversity & 2. They will have shown that their way CAN beat & be better than the former coach.

I’m not at all saying that a loss on Saturday means that JoMo is doomed or anything like that, but simply making the point that a win Saturday could go a long way in expediting this team & program reaching their ceiling. Trust is earned & that is the only way to get it. JoMo has the chance to earn a ton of it Saturday not only from the fans but from his players.

Dawg61
09-26-2018, 02:27 PM
I think we're starting to overthink a total bed shitting during a rain soaked game on the road. It was 14-7 with only 8 minutes left in the game still. We picked the ball off at midfield late in the 3rd and our offense couldn't stop 17ing up. Pretty sure all 11 starters on offense had their worst games of their career all at the same time. Head coach certainly did.

TrapGame
09-26-2018, 03:25 PM
I think we're starting to overthink a total bed shitting during a rain soaked game on the road. It was 14-7 with only 8 minutes left in the game still. We picked the ball off at midfield late in the 3rd and our offense couldn't stop 17ing up. Pretty sure all 11 starters on offense had their worst games of their career all at the same time. Head coach certainly did.

Certainly looks that way.

Also, could it be Fitz not getting those early reps in a new system vs SFA bit us in the ass at UK?

StateDawg44
09-26-2018, 03:45 PM

Also, could it be Fitz not getting those early reps in a new system vs SFA bit us in the ass at UK?

Again, Fitz isn't the reason we lost. There are too many to name.

Todd4State
09-26-2018, 03:47 PM

Most of them start with the offensive line. If they just simply fire off when the ball is snapped it would have helped immensely.

biggun
09-26-2018, 03:52 PM
Or given help to Eiland. Looking at Joe’s in game adjustments this week, actually hoping he makes some this week

BrunswickDawg
09-26-2018, 03:54 PM

Or it could just be that we had a total system melt down. It happens. Some times, you are the team that benefits from the other team melting down. I think we have just grown very accustomed to almost certain outcomes under Dan. If we were favored, we won. If we were the underdog, we lost. It's comforting, but boring as shit.

I think back to some of Jackie's teams - and you never knew what you were going to get from week to week. Beat #13 Texas - out of nowhere - lose to a 5-6 Memphis at home. Beat Florida and Auburn back-to-back for the first time in forever, lose to 5-6 South Carolina and Steve Tanneyhill's mullet. Writing off this staff and this season after 1 game - or labeling the Uf game as a "most win or Joe will lose the team" is ridiculous - especially with most of our conference schedule left to play.

Jack Lambert
09-26-2018, 03:55 PM
Or given help to Eiland. Looking at Joe’s in game adjustments this week, actually hoping he makes some this week

Being at home while on offense will help Eiland a good bit.

Dawg61
09-26-2018, 04:10 PM

Don't think anyone is saying Fitz is the reason we lost but he was bad at the exact same time everyone else was bad.

TrapGame
09-26-2018, 04:16 PM

Did I say Fitz is the reason we lost?

Some of y'all need to stop this shit. One damn question and everyone gets a sandy ******.

TrapGame
09-26-2018, 04:19 PM
Or it could just be that we had a total system melt down. It happens. Some times, you are the team that benefits from the other team melting down.

This is what I hope DWS does to Franks. A loud, rowdy crowd and a defense coming for his head every other snap.

99jc
09-26-2018, 04:21 PM
All I can say is he gets one 17ing mulligan on getting the shit kicked out of our ass by a team we should have beaten. We lose to the Gators and I'm sure he just dug half his grave lose to Fla and Auburn and his fat ass is on the crematorium hot seat. I want him to succeed but the next 2 weeks will define him as an SEC coach. Our team is better than they will be next season and if he can't win with this group we need to pony up get him a one way ticket back to Happy Valley.

BrunswickDawg
09-26-2018, 04:35 PM
[QUOTE=ShotgunDawg;999135]Most of us have mentioned that, while we are very disappointed about the Kentucky game, we understand that games like that happen to everyone & it?s more about how JoMo responds that counts. I think most feel that way & have acknowledged that, however, I think there is something more at stake Saturday than the support of the fan base & that is the trust of the players.

All I can say is he gets one 17ing mulligan on getting the shit kicked out of our ass by a team we should have beaten. We lose to the Gators and I'm sure he just dug half his grave lose to Fla and Auburn and his fat ass is on the crematorium hot seat. I want him to succeed but the next 2 weeks will define him as an SEC coach. Our team is better than they will be next season and if he can't win with this group we need to pony up get him a one way ticket back to Happy Valley.
Saying shit like that makes you sound like teams we "Croomed" - and it is BS. We were favored over Kentucky - but this isn't the same 6-6 Kentucky of past years. They have the potential to have a season similar to what we did in 2014. And it isn't just about "the easy East". Stoops has quietly built them into a legitimate football program.

Dawg61
09-26-2018, 04:40 PM
Please edit your quote mistake 99jc so this thread doesn't turn into a never ending stream of broken quotes.

What's your worst case scenario with Moorhead 99jc and is that gonna be worse than firing a brand new coach right away thus spiraling us back even further? Basically Moorhead is unfireable for minimum 3 years right now.

https://media.giphy.com/media/2TBWLhTXY5jKo/giphy.gif

Oh look the broken quote chain has already started

Cooterpoot
09-26-2018, 04:40 PM
Saying shit like that makes you sound like teams we "Croomed" - and it is BS. We were favored over Kentucky - but this isn't the same 6-6 Kentucky of past years. They have the potential to have a season similar to what we did in 2014. And it isn't just about "the easy East". Stoops has quietly built them into a legitimate football program.

LOL....their schedule is waaayyyy easier. They were ready to fire Stoops a couple years ago. They're not some great program or even a good one. We completely came apart at the seams last week.

BrunswickDawg
09-26-2018, 04:53 PM
LOL....their schedule is waaayyyy easier. They were ready to fire Stoops a couple years ago. They're not some great program or even a good one. We completely came apart at the seams last week.

We had a bad game - not denying it.
But when LSU, Auburn, and A&M were all having "down years" in 2014, you got pissed didn't you? Because we deserved respect for winning those games. Kentucky has now done 2/3rds of what we did starting in '14 - knocking off 2 SEC teams ranked in the top 25 to start conference play. They deserve some respect.

And some on this board wanted Dan gone in 2012 and 2013. Just shows what fans know.

99jc
09-26-2018, 05:57 PM
Please edit your quote mistake 99jc so this thread doesn't turn into a never ending stream of broken quotes.

What's your worst case scenario with Moorhead 99jc and is that gonna be worse than firing a brand new coach right away thus spiraling us back even further? Basically Moorhead is unfireable for minimum 3 years right now.

https://media.giphy.com/media/2TBWLhTXY5jKo/giphy.gif

Oh look the broken quote chain has already started

Worst case scenario is 7-5 with a loss to Ole Miss. Joe has a bye this season no matter what. I am coming to Starkvegas Friday for dinner with some influential alumni including past players. I will get a better feel what the general consensus is with people who matter. Before and after this game. Hail State!

JoseBrown
09-26-2018, 06:34 PM
This is what I hope DWS does to Franks. A loud, rowdy crowd and a defense coming for his head every other snap.

Careful, we'll get a 15 yarder just for the suggestion..**

TrapGame
09-26-2018, 06:48 PM
Careful, we'll get a 15 yarder just for the suggestion..**

Unsportsmanlike Conduct, the DE was breathing too hard on the quarterback.**

RougeDawg
09-26-2018, 07:27 PM
Most of them start with the offensive line. If they just simply fire off when the ball is snapped it would have helped immensely.

Large majority of those issues weee cause by being in their stances the entire play clock every single f*cking play.

Pit Bull
09-26-2018, 08:02 PM
I'm afraid I have lost my 2nd MSU graduated brother as a big fan this past weekend. My first and oldest brother was an engineering grad who stopped following and supporting MSU in the late 60's.....what caused it?.....one year during his years between 64-68', apparently MSU started out the season 4-0 and got ranked in the top 20. Students and alums alike were stoked sky high about the year's prospects....next on the schedule.....lowly Memphis State University. A certain 5-0 start to an exciting season!! The result.....one of the biggest upsets in college football that weekend. Those lowly disgusting Tigers from Memphis beat us convincingly not by the score, but by their play on the field vs ours. My brother was so mad, he took his prized cowbell and slung it toward the field from about halfway up in the stands.....miracle he didn't kill anybody. And to this day.....has never bought a season ticket and only might attend a game if it is very convenient or someone gave him some tickets free. He just lost it and said MSU would never amount to much of anything in football forever. Well, we have had some very good years, but sometimes when fans go through an emotional trauma and have better things they would like to do with their money....I guess this could happen. He still has a generic MSU sticker on his car and that's about it. No BC membership, hasn't been to a game in about 10 years and even though he lives about 20 miles from Neyland Stadium, I guarantee you, he will not attend our game with UT next year. He might watch it on tv, but that's all.

Well, my second brother who has followed MSU sports for almost as long has finally wilted after the KY game this past weekend. He decided not to come to the UF game. He had planned on it, but as bad as we looked this past Saturday, he just didn't feel in the mood anymore to spend the money on travel, hotel, tickets, food, etc. He told my sister he thought he just burned out on MSU football. I am the last brother and I am barely hanging on. The UF game will be my first of the year, but I am barely recovering from a broken foot. I sure hope the Dogs can pull it out against the Gatahs, and if they don't, I can see why many here and elsewhere say JoMo could lose the fanbase significantly. I plan to finish out all the rest of the games no matter what happens....and I know many other fans will do the same. But the borderline or bandwagoners that normally make the big games our sellouts probably won't hang with us anymore. This is indeed a huge weekend for JoMo, IB, and a lot of us.

justwin
09-26-2018, 09:31 PM
Most of us have mentioned that, while we are very disappointed about the Kentucky game, we understand that games like that happen to everyone & it?s more about how JoMo responds that counts. I think most feel that way & have acknowledged that, however, I think there is something more at stake Saturday than the support of the fan base & that is the trust of the players.

When a new coach takes over a program, regardless of the level or current status of that team, every new coach has to get ?buy in?. Every new coach must convince players that their plan works & will help the team & player reach their goals. Every player & coach will say in public that they are ?all in? & that they trust the new staff, yada, yada, yada, but trust isn?t built through meeting rooms, practice, or the media. Trust is built in hard times & when things get difficult, just like a marriage. Marriages aren?t built on the honeymoon, they are built on what happens after fights, arguements, & disagreements.

What JoMo has the opportunity to do on Saturday is unique. Not only does he & his staff get to show how they respond to adversity, they also get to do it against our player?s former coaching staff. If they win, I think getting complete buy in from the players will be significantly easier because 1. The staff will have responded to adversity & 2. They will have shown that their way CAN beat & be better than the former coach.

I?m not at all saying that a loss on Saturday means that JoMo is doomed or anything like that, but simply making the point that a win Saturday could go a long way in expediting this team & program reaching their ceiling. Trust is earned & that is the only way to get it. JoMo has the chance to earn a ton of it Saturday not only from the fans but from his players.

It really boils down if he?s willing to feature his top 5 offensive players. Kylin needs 25 touches per game here on out. Aeris 15. Nick throw & pass 30 or the rest. Always always always activate nicks legs in 1q and build off that. Nick running early calms his ass down . First play vs txam 2 years ago and first play vs LSU last year.

Dawg61
09-26-2018, 09:36 PM
I'm afraid I have lost my 2nd MSU graduated brother as a big fan this past weekend. My first and oldest brother was an engineering grad who stopped following and supporting MSU in the late 60's.....what caused it?.....one year during his years between 64-68', apparently MSU started out the season 4-0 and got ranked in the top 20. Students and alums alike were stoked sky high about the year's prospects....next on the schedule.....lowly Memphis State University. A certain 5-0 start to an exciting season!! The result.....one of the biggest upsets in college football that weekend. Those lowly disgusting Tigers from Memphis beat us convincingly not by the score, but by their play on the field vs ours. My brother was so mad, he took his prized cowbell and slung it toward the field from about halfway up in the stands.....miracle he didn't kill anybody. And to this day.....has never bought a season ticket and only might attend a game if it is very convenient or someone gave him some tickets free. He just lost it and said MSU would never amount to much of anything in football forever. Well, we have had some very good years, but sometimes when fans go through an emotional trauma and have better things they would like to do with their money....I guess this could happen. He still has a generic MSU sticker on his car and that's about it. No BC membership, hasn't been to a game in about 10 years and even though he lives about 20 miles from Neyland Stadium, I guarantee you, he will not attend our game with UT next year. He might watch it on tv, but that's all.

Well, my second brother who has followed MSU sports for almost as long has finally wilted after the KY game this past weekend. He decided not to come to the UF game. He had planned on it, but as bad as we looked this past Saturday, he just didn't feel in the mood anymore to spend the money on travel, hotel, tickets, food, etc. He told my sister he thought he just burned out on MSU football. I am the last brother and I am barely hanging on. The UF game will be my first of the year, but I am barely recovering from a broken foot. I sure hope the Dogs can pull it out against the Gatahs, and if they don't, I can see why many here and elsewhere say JoMo could lose the fanbase significantly. I plan to finish out all the rest of the games no matter what happens....and I know many other fans will do the same. But the borderline or bandwagoners that normally make the big games our sellouts probably won't hang with us anymore. This is indeed a huge weekend for JoMo, IB, and a lot of us.

https://media.giphy.com/media/qEBlgZpZWHihO/giphy.gif

Duckdog
09-27-2018, 07:55 AM
We had a bad game - not denying it.
But when LSU, Auburn, and A&M were all having "down years" in 2014, you got pissed didn't you? Because we deserved respect for winning those games. Kentucky has now done 2/3rds of what we did starting in '14 - knocking off 2 SEC teams ranked in the top 25 to start conference play. They deserve some respect.

And some on this board wanted Dan gone in 2012 and 2013. Just shows what fans know.
Agree a lot of MSU fans sound Like lsu fans of 14. "man they suck" "They ain't never been good" etc etc etc. Ky is a good team

ShotgunDawg
09-27-2018, 08:43 AM
It really boils down if he?s willing to feature his top 5 offensive players. Kylin needs 25 touches per game here on out. Aeris 15. Nick throw & pass 30 or the rest. Always always always activate nicks legs in 1q and build off that. Nick running early calms his ass down . First play vs txam 2 years ago and first play vs LSU last year.

Agree to some degree. I'm more concerned about the OL than who touches the ball.

Our OL was schematically beaten last week and that is a huge concern to me as to the type of coaching we have there.

BrunswickDawg
09-27-2018, 09:37 AM
Agree to some degree. I'm more concerned about the OL than who touches the ball.

Our OL was schematically beaten last week and that is a huge concern to me as to the type of coaching we have there.

It's the same weakness that we always had under Mullen - when we got into games where passing became the primary focus our OL showed again and again that they were not good at pass protection. We have Road Graders, built to run behind. Think back to Tyler Russell scrambling around. With TR - and Dan focused more on passing- our OL would look like trash. We put Dak in with the same OL and run more read-option and limit passing, and suddenly the line get better. We saw the same thing in 2015 when Dan was trying to prove Dak was an NFL passer. If we were even able to establish a little bit of a running game beyond Dak, it made our OL better. It's why we have the mantra of RTDFB! We saw the same thing Saturday. This same OL that looked like world beaters in the first 3 games looked like shit all night when stuck in pass-pro. Add to it the 25 seconds each play with the OL in squat mode, and it is a recipe for disaster.

In the B1G - RTDFB is not the game plan. In the SEC, it is. Dan had already learned that at UF, and would forget sometimes. Hopefully, Joe learned it Saturday.

Dawg61
09-27-2018, 09:52 AM
How are they ever gonna get better at pass blocking if we run the football non-stop vs the toughest opponents? You can't run on the top SEC teams initially. Ever. The only way to ever beat them is to beat them passing the ball which then frees up the run.

ShotgunDawg
09-27-2018, 10:02 AM
It's the same weakness that we always had under Mullen - when we got into games where passing became the primary focus our OL showed again and again that they were not good at pass protection. We have Road Graders, built to run behind. Think back to Tyler Russell scrambling around. With TR - and Dan focused more on passing- our OL would look like trash. We put Dak in with the same OL and run more read-option and limit passing, and suddenly the line get better. We saw the same thing in 2015 when Dan was trying to prove Dak was an NFL passer. If we were even able to establish a little bit of a running game beyond Dak, it made our OL better. It's why we have the mantra of RTDFB! We saw the same thing Saturday. This same OL that looked like world beaters in the first 3 games looked like shit all night when stuck in pass-pro. Add to it the 25 seconds each play with the OL in squat mode, and it is a recipe for disaster.

In the B1G - RTDFB is not the game plan. In the SEC, it is. Dan had already learned that at UF, and would forget sometimes. Hopefully, Joe learned it Saturday.

Under a Mullen, our OL was beaten by talent in big games, but I'm not sure we ever had a situation like the other night where we didn't know who to block.

I have concern with Marcus Johnson. We'll see what happens. This OL is too talented to have happened what happened against Kentucky who has lesser talent than us.

Bully13
09-27-2018, 10:07 AM
Under a Mullen, our OL was beaten by talent in big games, but I'm not sure we ever had a situation like the other night where we didn't know who to block.

I have concern with Marcus Johnson. We'll see what happens. This OL is too talented to have happened what happened against Kentucky who has lesser talent than us.

I'm still trying to figure out what happened to that OL that wore out bamer's DL last year.

BrunswickDawg
09-27-2018, 10:34 AM

So the guy Todd McShay has as a First Rounder and Mel Kiper has as the #1 OLB, and is the active SEC Sack Leader didn't out talent our OL Saturday night? Because it sure looked like he did. And don't get me wrong - the OL line played like trash. There were obvious issues - but Kentucky has shown so far that they have a legit SEC defense. They are #2 in the SEC in Total Defense (behind us), #3 in Scoring Defense. And the "they haven't played anybody" mantra doesn't pass the smell test when they have shut down 2 SEC teams in 4 games. They are going to give some teams absolute fits if they keep playing at this level. And the "lesser talent" argument doesn't work either. Our per player recruiting average over the past 6 years is less than 1 %point different on 247.

ShotgunDawg
09-27-2018, 10:47 AM
So the guy Todd McShay has as a First Rounder and Mel Kiper has as the #1 OLB, and is the active SEC Sack Leader didn't out talent our OL Saturday night? Because it sure looked like he did. And don't get me wrong - the OL line played like trash. There were obvious issues - but Kentucky has shown so far that they have a legit SEC defense. They are #2 in the SEC in Total Defense (behind us), #3 in Scoring Defense. And the "they haven't played anybody" mantra doesn't pass the smell test when they have shut down 2 SEC teams in 4 games. They are going to give some teams absolute fits if they keep playing at this level. And the "lesser talent" argument doesn't work either. Our per player recruiting average over the past 6 years is less than 1 %point different on 247.

If it was just Allen and the problem was just our LT I'd agree. Problem is that Williams, Jenkins, and Calhoun sucked and missed blocks in the interior. We were clearly confused.

Go watch Wyatt's film review.

Dawg61
09-27-2018, 10:55 AM
If it was just Allen and the problem was just our LT I'd agree. Problem is that Williams, Jenkins, and Calhoun sucked and missed blocks in the interior. We were clearly confused.

Go watch Wyatt's film review.

How is it Marcus Johnson's fault though when our OL can't figure out to block the dude right in front of them? Seems to me the OL needed to be communicating better with each other on which dude's they were blocking. Two guys on one dude while the other roams free is a recipe for disaster. The play calling was also a disaster. If Allen is wrecking you then run plays right at him or throw the ball in the area he just vacated. Work him to death that he's so tired he stops destroying your offense. Moorhead called a horrendous game.

ShotgunDawg
09-27-2018, 11:28 AM
How is it Marcus Johnson's fault though when our OL can't figure out to block the dude right in front of them?

Look, we all say stupid things including your's truly, but this one may take the cake for you. Again, I've said plenty of stupid stuff and have hit rock bottom at times, but this is your rock bottom.

StateDawg44
09-27-2018, 11:32 AM
Did I say Fitz is the reason we lost?

Some of y'all need to stop this shit. One damn question and everyone gets a sandy ******.

Lulz. You specifically asked "could it be Fitz not getting those early reps in a new system vs SFA bit us in the ass at UK?" Fitz playing against SFA wouldn't have helped him or the team as a whole against KY.

I guess you left off all of the other reasons you saw that were there. Not in mutiny mode by any means compared to some. Just the way your comment reads.

Dawg61
09-27-2018, 11:37 AM
Look, we all say stupid things including your's truly, but this one may take the cake for you. Again, I've said plenty of stupid stuff and have hit rock bottom at times, but this is your rock bottom.

The point is if our player's aren't smart enough to figure out to block the dude rushing right at their face than Marcus Johnson isn't gonna be able to fix that on the sidelines by pointing it out to them or screaming at them. The OL needs to communicate with each other. Period. The trend on this board is to always blame the OL coach on the sideline not the actual OL whose staring straight at a dude rushing right past them to hit our QB and does nothing about it. Sometimes it's really the player's fault.

FriarsPoint
09-28-2018, 10:49 PM
How is it Marcus Johnson's fault though when our OL can't figure out to block the dude right in front of them? Seems to me the OL needed to be communicating better with each other on which dude's they were blocking. Two guys on one dude while the other roams free is a recipe for disaster. The play calling was also a disaster. If Allen is wrecking you then run plays right at him or throw the ball in the area he just vacated. Work him to death that he's so tired he stops destroying your offense. Moorhead called a horrendous game.

This^. Every bit of it. I think, not sure, going into the 4th the D had given up 200 yards total. That shit show was squarely on the O and terrible play calling.

yjnkdawg
09-29-2018, 02:48 PM
The point is if our player's aren't smart enough to figure out to block the dude rushing right at their face than Marcus Johnson isn't gonna be able to fix that on the sidelines by pointing it out to them or screaming at them. The OL needs to communicate with each other. Period. The trend on this board is to always blame the OL coach on the sideline not the actual OL whose staring straight at a dude rushing right past them to hit our QB and does nothing about it. Sometimes it's really the player's fault.

I agree with you on this. Coaches don't suit up and play on the field. A coach does not cause players to make presnap penalties. To sum it up, other than a few of our players, our team was not ready to play against KY. I hope this Johnson thing is not still because he played under Cutcliffe at OM, and then coached under Cutcliffe at Duke, but who knows.

Homedawg
09-29-2018, 07:28 PM
Epic fail. Even if a miracle happens and we come back and win. Just awful

Coldsleeve Jr.
09-29-2018, 07:37 PM
NoMoJoMo