PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Ole Miss or Auburn's QB for next year

Irondawg
09-26-2018, 10:22 AM
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24801672/demoted-clemson-tigers-qb-kelly-bryant-says-transfer

Jack Lambert
09-26-2018, 10:32 AM
This is going to happen a lot more with the new red shirt rule.

Dawg61
09-26-2018, 10:34 AM
This is going to happen a lot more with the new red shirt rule.

Maybe but it doesn't seem to be so far

Cary Hudson's little bro
09-26-2018, 10:37 AM
He may go to USCe since he's from SC. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes low-level never to heard from again.

Jack Lambert
09-26-2018, 10:49 AM
He may go to USCe since he's from SC. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes low-level never to heard from again.

That would be a kick in the nuts to Clemson. Wouldn't he be in same boat at South Carolina? I suspect Auburn or even Florida.

Gutter Cobreh
09-26-2018, 10:54 AM
Bryant comes across as a bit entitled. Just because you "waited your turn", doesn't mean someone isn't there to try and take your job.

Hurts, Saban, and Alabama have probably handles their situation about as well as any program can or will.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-26-2018, 10:56 AM
Or Arkansas, or Florida, or FSU, or VT, or Nebraska... there's a lot of P5 teams he could start at. OM is a passing team that loses it's OL and best WRs;Kelly Bryant is a bad passer so not only could he find a better team but he could also find a better fit for his skills. Gus and Mullen and Frost want their QBs to be runners first, those may be his best fit imo. Auburn is probably the best overall team he could start at too, and with Gus' success with transfer QBs, they make sense to me. God I'm getting suck of this get out of jail free card that bails out top teams' recruiting misses... we have bad QB? We lose more games. LSU has a bad QB? Pitt transfer! LSU has a bad QB again? OSU transfer! Auburn has a bad QB? Go get Clemson's old starter! It really makes you feel defeated to know they not only have more money, but can get away with more cheating, AND get transfers we never would to fill in the few gaps top 10 classes leave

StarkVegasSteve
09-26-2018, 11:13 AM
Or Arkansas, or Florida, or FSU, or VT, or Nebraska... there's a lot of P5 teams he could start at. OM is a passing team that loses it's OL and best WRs;Kelly Bryant is a bad passer so not only could he find a better team but he could also find a better fit for his skills. Gus and Mullen and Frost want their QBs to be runners first, those may be his best fit imo. Auburn is probably the best overall team he could start at too, and with Gus' success with transfer QBs, they make sense to me. God I'm getting suck of this get out of jail free card that bails out top teams' recruiting misses... we have bad QB? We lose more games. LSU has a bad QB? Pitt transfer! LSU has a bad QB again? OSU transfer! Auburn has a bad QB? Go get Clemson's old starter! It really makes you feel defeated to know they not only have more money, but can get away with more cheating, AND get transfers we never would to fill in the few gaps top 10 classes leave

But what happens to those teams when they don't get that starter? They have to bank on some G5 guy or FCS guy that more often than not doesn't pan out. As much as we can complain about not getting a transfer QB, Mullen and Moorhead have set us up pretty well at that position for the foreseeable future. Now if one of those don't pan out we may have to throw our hat in the ring. But we're still in the SEC we would have just as good a shot at those guys with the offense we run as anyone. Thankfully that's not a problem we have at the moment.

LC Dawg
09-26-2018, 11:17 AM
Maybe but it doesn't seem to be so far

I think that's because it's new this year. I believe that more kids are going to ask to not redshirt their first year and wait to see what happens their first two years with the plan that they have 4 games into their junior season to decide if they stay or transfer. Most of the transfers will probably not be to top FBS schools but some of the top schools will lose some talent to good programs that are in need of a quick fix.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-26-2018, 11:25 AM
This is what happens when you stockpile a position like Clemson did with QB.

Ole Miss wouldn't want him anyway, he was only a 3 star. ***

msudawglb
09-26-2018, 11:32 AM
I think that's because it's new this year. I believe that more kids are going to ask to not redshirt their first year and wait to see what happens their first two years with the plan that they have 4 games into their junior season to decide if they stay or transfer. Most of the transfers will probably not be to top FBS schools but some of the top schools will lose some talent to good programs that are in need of a quick fix.

Pretty soon teams will try to add an extra 13th game (cupcake) to the schedule at the beginning of the season so they can play these crucial backups in 5 games to get them locked in.

bulldawg28
09-26-2018, 11:32 AM
Dan needs a QB.

thf24
09-26-2018, 11:48 AM
I don't think the new redshirt rule says anything about transfer eligibility; I don't think you can or have ever been able to play immediately at a new school after being enrolled at another on the same level (without grad transfer or other exception) the previous season whether you played or not. Has anyone confirmed this either way?

Jack Lambert
09-26-2018, 11:50 AM
Wasn't Mullen on the rules committee when this rule was offered up to the NCAA?

smootness
09-26-2018, 12:02 PM
He's not disgraced, so that rules out OM.

RiverCityDawg
09-26-2018, 12:04 PM
I don't think the new redshirt rule says anything about transfer eligibility; I don't think you can or have ever been able to play immediately at a new school after being enrolled at another on the same level (without grad transfer or other exception) the previous season whether you played or not. Has anyone confirmed this either way?

No change in that. Bryant is a Senior, never redshirted and graduated last May, so he should have 1 year to play 1.

I'm betting he's at Arkansas next year due to the Chad Morris connection.

3rdGen
09-26-2018, 12:26 PM
I just hope our staff finds a way to make the rule change benefit us. Exploit it if you can. I am not sure how that would work. I haven’t even read the actual rule. Hahah.

Dawg61
09-26-2018, 12:30 PM
Hurts, Saban, and Alabama have probably handles their situation about as well as any program can or will.

Hurts is guaranteed another playoff appearance and probably a national championship ring. I'm not sure the rest of us peasants can learn anything from Bama on this.

Dawg61
09-26-2018, 12:38 PM
But what happens to those teams when they don't get that starter? They have to bank on some G5 guy or FCS guy that more often than not doesn't pan out. As much as we can complain about not getting a transfer QB, Mullen and Moorhead have set us up pretty well at that position for the foreseeable future. Now if one of those don't pan out we may have to throw our hat in the ring. But we're still in the SEC we would have just as good a shot at those guys with the offense we run as anyone. Thankfully that's not a problem we have at the moment.

The teams benefitting from this are only raising their floor or saving themselves from very rare disaster seasons and most of these programs have elite expectations of NY6 games and playoff appearances so if they fall in love with shunned QBs from other schools they are really taking a big risk they can't ever get a natty. You don't win natty's with transfer QBs that got demoted to 2nd string for a reason. The best way to go about this is to fill in some holes/gaps at other positions besides QB. We need another CB or OL for example than look at a G5 school that's had a player start for 3 years and they'd like a taste of SEC ball before they try to go pro. These are the guys we need to add. Not high profile QBs that lost their jobs.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-26-2018, 01:08 PM
Dan needs a QB.

NO he don't...He got Emory Jones (High 4 Star) this year and Jalon Jones (4 star) coming in next year. He's doing alright.

TUSK
09-26-2018, 01:08 PM
God, I hope he goes to OM or AU... or any program on Bammer's schedule.

RougeDawg
09-26-2018, 01:11 PM
He's not disgraced, so that rules out OM.

Has he fingered any teammate buttholes? That may qualify him for the plantation.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-26-2018, 01:27 PM
The teams benefitting from this are only raising their floor or saving themselves from very rare disaster seasons and most of these programs have elite expectations of NY6 games and playoff appearances so if they fall in love with shunned QBs from other schools they are really taking a big risk they can't ever get a natty. You don't win natty's with transfer QBs that got demoted to 2nd string for a reason. The best way to go about this is to fill in some holes/gaps at other positions besides QB. We need another CB or OL for example than look at a G5 school that's had a player start for 3 years and they'd like a taste of SEC ball before they try to go pro. These are the guys we need to add. Not high profile QBs that lost their jobs.

But it doesn't even matter to us whether KB can get Auburn to the Natty or not, because the fact is if KB can walk in and start at Auburn it's because he's better than who they'd otherwise have to play. Auburn may be the #15 team next year without him, and the #7 team with him. Same concept this year with LSU and Burrow. Sure those QBs may not take them to the CFP, but it may be the difference between State winning or loosing. Same thing with grad transfer RBs, DEs, kickers, etc. Transfers help the teams we play more than they help us.

I agree though that we should try to use the 4 game rule to poach from the G5- the 4 game rule means more players will keep a year of eligibility (played 3 games of So year then got injured, for instance) and be eligible to grad transfer to us. But the LSU's of the world can do the same and more effectively than us so us doing it won't completely counter their new advantage

dotcomdawg
09-26-2018, 01:45 PM
SOMEONE'S MAMA IS ABOUT TO GET A NEW HOUSE IN OXFORD

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24801672/demoted-clemson-tigers-qb-kelly-bryant-says-transfer

Dawg61
09-26-2018, 02:02 PM
But it doesn't even matter to us whether KB can get Auburn to the Natty or not, because the fact is if KB can walk in and start at Auburn it's because he's better than who they'd otherwise have to play. Auburn may be the #15 team next year without him, and the #7 team with him. Same concept this year with LSU and Burrow. Sure those QBs may not take them to the CFP, but it may be the difference between State winning or loosing. Same thing with grad transfer RBs, DEs, kickers, etc. Transfers help the teams we play more than they help us.

I agree though that we should try to use the 4 game rule to poach from the G5- the 4 game rule means more players will keep a year of eligibility (played 3 games of So year then got injured, for instance) and be eligible to grad transfer to us. But the LSU's of the world can do the same and more effectively than us so us doing it won't completely counter their new advantage

At the end of the day I think most players don't want to transfer schools. I don't think this will be anywhere near as bad as it is in basketball. We'll see. I would love to get some grad transfer starters from some good G5 programs though. There's a lot of good football players that developed after high school that can help us. The list of stud NFL players that came from smaller programs is extensive. Antonio Brown went to Central Michigan. Imagine adding that guy to our team. I prefer to look at the positive of this new rule than the negative. If the elite programs want to fight each other over high profile named QBs so be it but I think it opens the door for us to go after better players at other positions from smaller programs that LSU/Auburn etc... aren't even bothering with. There's only so many hours in the day. They already are battling each other for all the 5* and now they wanna battle each other for high profile transfers it opens a bigger window for MSU than you might be initially seeing. If we can evaluate lesser named players better than they can we have a gold mine to pluck players from. There's a reason why the Patriots do so well with over looked players and undrafted free agents. They evaluate under the radar players better than everyone else.

Pit Bull
09-26-2018, 02:49 PM
No change in that. Bryant is a Senior, never redshirted and graduated last May, so he should have 1 year to play 1.

I'm betting he's at Arkansas next year due to the Chad Morris connection.

Would help Arkansas tremendously.....that's their biggest missing piece.

WPS
09-26-2018, 03:33 PM
Would help Arkansas tremendously.....that's their biggest missing piece.

And OL...but at least he can run