PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have an update on baseball fall practice?

Tbonewannabe
09-25-2018, 12:57 PM
I am especially interested in how any new recruits are doing like Ginn. Did Mangum improve his power over the summer?

AlSwearengen
09-25-2018, 02:08 PM
I check out MS baseball fan on facebook. He posts a good bit of information and others provide some information as well. Things that I have seen mentioned is that true freshman Landon Jordan from the coast has been really good with the bat and is making a push for the 2B job. Juco SS Halter has been much better defensively than expected and has swung the bat as expected.

One of the baseball writers (cant remember the name) watched a scrimmage the other day and mentioned that Ginn was more polished on the mound than he expected. Ginn has done well on the mound. The same guy said to keep an eye on Macleod, a true freshman left hander. Said Tanner Allen has made improvement. I saw that Eric Cerantanola (sp?) had a good 3 inning outing the other day.

Don?t be surprised if the infield is a combination of Landon Jordan at 2B, Halter and Westburg at SS and 3B. I am guessing that Foscue is going to be hard to keep out of the lineup though and he and those other three mentioned may all be in the lineup in various combinations. That is a guess though. There may be someone else that claims the DH role. Can?t forget about Josh Hatcher.

Oh, and the freshman C has been pretty good, which we need badly.

Todd4State
09-25-2018, 03:02 PM
I check out MS baseball fan on facebook. He posts a good bit of information and others provide some information as well. Things that I have seen mentioned is that true freshman Landon Jordan from the coast has been really good with the bat and is making a push for the 2B job. Juco SS Halter has been much better defensively than expected and has swung the bat as expected.

One of the baseball writers (cant remember the name) watched a scrimmage the other day and mentioned that Ginn was more polished on the mound than he expected. Ginn has done well on the mound. The same guy said to keep an eye on Macleod, a true freshman left hander. Said Tanner Allen has made improvement. I saw that Eric Cerantanola (sp?) had a good 3 inning outing the other day.

Don?t be surprised if the infield is a combination of Landon Jordan at 2B, Halter and Westburg at SS and 3B. I am guessing that Foscue is going to be hard to keep out of the lineup though and he and those other three mentioned may all be in the lineup in various combinations. That is a guess though. There may be someone else that claims the DH role. Can?t forget about Josh Hatcher.

The only thing I would add is Foscue had a really good summer and I think he is pretty close to figuring it out. The only reason Landon Jordan hasn't been mentioned as much I think is because he had some injuries in high school and he wasn't a draft risk- but he's a very good player.

I think we're going to make another Omaha run again this year. Our pitching staff should be improved with Small and Keegan being veterans which allows us to use Ginn on Sunday and ease into SEC ball. Cole Gordon coming back should help the bullpen immensely and Self should be healthy all year next year. That's two pretty reliable arms for us. Colby White throws hard- but it looks like he has some command issues. Plumlee is back and I think he will either be in the bullpen (likely) or start midweek possibly. He has been hit some this fall.

Our defense won't be as good without Stovall and LA. But our offense should be even better with Mangum and MacNamee leading the way and I think Westburg could bust out this year. The rest of our hitters are now experienced mostly sophomores with the exception of Landon Jordan and Hayden Jones the freshman catcher you are talking about. And I think both of them will be fine at the plate. Ginn will hopefully step it up at the plate more than he has this fall.

AlSwearengen
09-25-2018, 03:24 PM
Yeah, Todd, you could see flashes from Foscue last year. He has some pop in that bat and just looks like he could turn into a good hitter. And we are going to have a serious log jam if Ginn starts hitting like people around here thought he would.

Randolph Dupree
09-25-2018, 03:32 PM
Look for Westburg to hit better this year, the guy has real power. Also, heard from a couple of MLB scouts that James looked REALLY impressive in summer ball....like REALLY REALLY impressive.

Todd4State
09-25-2018, 04:13 PM
Look for Westburg to hit better this year, the guy has real power. Also, heard from a couple of MLB scouts that James looked REALLY impressive in summer ball....like REALLY REALLY impressive.

He did in the Cape. He wasn't quite 100% for us last year coming off of Tommy John.

Coursesuper
09-25-2018, 05:08 PM

Landon was hurt as a Jr, but he was fine as a Sr, just no one would pitch to him. When they did it went the other way real quick. The only reason he wasn’t a draft risk was his parents told scouts he going no to school. The Red Sox loved him.

Homedawg
09-25-2018, 06:25 PM
Landon was hurt as a Jr, but he was fine as a Sr, just no one would pitch to him. When they did it went the other way real quick. The only reason he wasn’t a draft risk was his parents told scouts he going no to school. The Red Sox loved him.

Well he's had a great start to the fall!

HoopsDawg
09-25-2018, 06:49 PM

He's making it almost impossible to keep him out of the lineup. I hope he keeps it up.

Pit Bull
09-25-2018, 07:07 PM
BTW.....anyone know how season tickets will be assigned? I've heard everything from the BC telling you where to sit....to.....the season ticket holders going to the stadium on an set date and getting to pick out seats on their own from several different sections. If tickets are mailed out to us, I would assume around early January.

Coursesuper
09-25-2018, 07:08 PM

Kid can flat out hit the baseball, I don't know how he was so far under the radar with the college guys. The Red Sox and the Rays stayed after him right up to the draft.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
09-25-2018, 10:57 PM
What's the word on Hatcher this fall?

Homedawg
09-25-2018, 11:19 PM
What's the word on Hatcher this fall?

I don't see how he cracks the everyday lineup. Still swings and misses a hunch and Allen gonna play first. He can dh against rhp.

Tbonewannabe
09-25-2018, 11:35 PM
I don't see how he cracks the everyday lineup. Still swings and misses a hunch and Allen gonna play first. He can dh against rhp.

Is Allen set on 1st? He isn't the typical size but he did pretty well there last year.

Todd4State
09-26-2018, 12:04 AM
Is Allen set on 1st? He isn't the typical size but he did pretty well there last year.

I wouldn't necessarily say that he's "set" there but with MacNamee, Mangum, Rowdey, and then DH being whoever it may be the best way to get him into the lineup on this team. Plus he has the most experience there of any current player on the roster.

louisvilledawg
09-26-2018, 08:56 AM
Question about Foscue:

He batted .423 his junior year, but batted only like .315 his senior year.

Why the huge downswing?

Also, far as power goes, i didn't think he had that much power this past season. I mean he was tied with Jake for home runs.

Todd4State
09-26-2018, 03:51 PM
Question about Foscue:

He batted .423 his junior year, but batted only like .315 his senior year.

Why the huge downswing?

Also, far as power goes, i didn't think he had that much power this past season. I mean he was tied with Jake for home runs.

Are you talking about high school? Sometimes guys that are draft risks or are committed to high level programs don't get pitched to and don't see very many good pitches to hit. I'm not worried about his power this past season- power is usually the last thing that is developed.