PDA

View Full Version : Negative impact of new red shirt rule

starkvegasdawg
09-25-2018, 09:58 AM
The leading receiver for AR has decided to red shirt this season and transfer out in December. He played his 4 games and I guess saw first hand the dumpster fire in Fayetteville and decided to bail. Not sure I am in favor of a player quitting a third of the way into a season. To me, that is ripe for corruption by good teams looking to get better. I assume he'll still have to sit a year, but now you're going to have unscrupulous coaches in players' ears in the early season trying to talk them into burning a red shirt and leaving the team.

Dawg61
09-25-2018, 10:06 AM
Arkansas is a shit show. I wouldn't look to them as the example more like the exception.

smootness
09-25-2018, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I don't think this actually helps him. If he played all year, he could use next year as his redshirt year. He's using this year as his redshirt year, but that just means he'll burn next year.

NWADAWG
09-25-2018, 10:53 AM
I'm not sure how the new rule accounts for this. If he stays on the team but doesn't play, he will have to sit next year. If he leaves the team, does it count as a redshirt year or a sit out year? It takes more than 4 games to count as a season played toward eligibility.

BrunswickDawg
09-25-2018, 11:46 AM
I saw a tweet from someone this weekend that posed the question of:
"What happens if 30 guys on team doing poorly decide they are red-shirting and transferring?" The new rule is vague enough that you could see some real weird stuff happen later this fall.

Bothrops
09-25-2018, 11:58 AM
They're gonna find a way to screw up college football, before it is caput as we know it today.

Dawg61
09-25-2018, 11:59 AM
I saw a tweet from someone this weekend that posed the question of:
"What happens if 30 guys on team doing poorly decide they are red-shirting and transferring?" The new rule is vague enough that you could see some real weird stuff happen later this fall.

Those 30 guys would then all lose a year unless they can graduate and transfer immediately.

Dawg61
09-25-2018, 12:02 PM
They're gonna find a way to screw up college football, before it is caput as we know it today.

College football is already screwed up unless you're in the lucky ten schools that get to play for a natty every year. The rest of us peasant schools live in a land where a natty is never possible yet we all come back every year and spend countless dollars like it is.

msstate7
09-25-2018, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I don't think this actually helps him. If he played all year, he could use next year as his redshirt year. He's using this year as his redshirt year, but that just means he'll burn next year.

What if he's a senior? Don't see a name so not sure

Quaoarsking
09-25-2018, 12:18 PM
Within a few years, they'll probably just do away with redshirting altogether and just give everyone 5 years to play.

That would be sensible since the average college student takes 5 years to graduate anyway. It will lead to smaller recruiting classes across the board, which will trickle some elite talent down to schools like us.

msbulldog
09-25-2018, 12:23 PM
The leading receiver for AR has decided to red shirt this season and transfer out in December. He played his 4 games and I guess saw first hand the dumpster fire in Fayetteville and decided to bail. Not sure I am in favor of a player quitting a third of the way into a season. To me, that is ripe for corruption by good teams looking to get better. I assume he'll still have to sit a year, but now you're going to have unscrupulous coaches in players' ears in the early season trying to talk them into burning a red shirt and leaving the team.

Vegas this guy was leading receiver last year and only has 1 catch this year his name is Johnathan Nance. But yes I sure he see the dumpster fire also.

MetEdDawg
09-25-2018, 12:30 PM
This rule is going to have to change. There's too much gray and gives the players entirely too much leeway to make decisions that hurt their programs. Play for your team for 1/3 of the season then say hey I'm leaving?

That gives entirely too much control to the players. The argument is that hey coaches leave all the time. How many of them leave for a new school 4 games into the season? Zero. It's a dumb rule and it circumvents what was already in place because you know these kids are getting contacted by other schools.

Irondawg
09-25-2018, 12:54 PM
To me the easy fix is that the 4 game rule only applies to freshman

Johnson85
09-25-2018, 02:07 PM

As long as playing any requires you to sit out when you transfer, then it only really seems to be a problem for potential graduate transfers.

If you play three games as a freshman or sophomore, and then decide you want to use that year as a RS and transfer, if you have to sit out the next year, it doesn't help you. Might as well play it out and then RS the year you're sitting out.

If they're not going to require people to sit out, I would suggest that there be some disincentive to quit midyear, so that if you quit after three games because of playing time, you don't get to use that year as a RS. Then you'd have people trying to drag out injuries I guess or just claiming to be injured.

WPS
09-25-2018, 04:58 PM

He's a senior so he couldn't do that.

He has 1 catch for -1 yards this year. Was pretty good in Bielema's offense last year, but didn't fit well with Morris apparently. Can't blame him for wanting to go a team with a better current QB situation.

Lord McBuckethead
09-25-2018, 06:42 PM

Boom. Sounds so crazy it would actually work.

Catfishdog
09-25-2018, 06:49 PM
Amen. It’s taken me a while, but I’ve finally realized we will never compete for natty in football.

Todd4State
09-25-2018, 08:30 PM
Within a few years, they'll probably just do away with redshirting altogether and just give everyone 5 years to play.

That would be sensible since the average college student takes 5 years to graduate anyway. It will lead to smaller recruiting classes across the board, which will trickle some elite talent down to schools like us.

This is what needs to happen and probably needs to happen in all sports.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2018, 08:35 PM
One of Oklahoma State's top WRs announced a transfer today as well.

TUSK
09-25-2018, 08:58 PM
Kelly Bryant met with Dabo about possibly transferring...

TUSK
09-25-2018, 09:07 PM
2 AU contributors met with coaches and decided NOT to transfer.

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2018/09/2_auburn_contributors_decide_a.html