PDA

View Full Version : Is Saturday Here Yet?

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2018, 09:25 AM
Good lord, listening to Bo Bounds & the overreaction by him & others is hilarious. There are concerns but sheesh, let's see how the team responds before saying they are going 6-6 or 7-5. Completely ridiculous to write off a team with this much talent this early.

Additionally, he is now saying that last year's WRs at MSU are better than this year's, which a ridiculously stupid, knee jerk opinion that is based on nothing. Now, I wish someone could find Austin Williams in witness protection after the hype, but Guidry is WAAAYYY better than anyone we had last year, although I'll admit he was pretty crappy the other night.

Either way, the week long melt is the worst part football. In baseball & basketball, you get to play pretty quickly after losing & have a chance to get the bad taste out of your mouth quickly, but in football you have to deal with week long melts & ridiculous overreaction.

Things are never as good as they seem & things are never as bad as they seem.

I gave my opinion that we'll know a lot more about this team & Moorhead by Saturday night.

Time to play again

Dawg61
09-25-2018, 09:36 AM
Week long overreactions happened after blowout wins vs SFA and KSU too. You're right the 6 day wait is rough unless we win 130-0 and have 100% perfect stats. But even then we'd find a way to just yell at each other about something else. Nobody likes waiting 6 more days to watch college football again. Watching the NFL helps on Sunday's. Red Zone is 17ing amazing. Wanna get your mind off your college team shitting the bed watch 7 straight hours of commercial free NFL football.

smootness
09-25-2018, 09:38 AM
I honestly think those 'overreacting' are closer to the truth than those saying 'let's just see how they respond'. Sure, how they respond is important, and we can still be a good team...but I think there is too much of a gap between what we showed last week and what we would have to show going forward to not lose 4+ games. It also showed glaring weaknesses in adjustments from the coaching staff, and that's not generally the kind of thing that can immediately improve.

Obviously anything can happen, and it's possible we turn it around and still have a very good season. I just don't see it as being at all likely at this point.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2018, 09:41 AM
I honestly think those 'overreacting' are closer to the truth than those saying 'let's just see how they respond'. Sure, how they respond is important, and we can still be a good team...but I think there is too much of a gap between what we showed last week and what we would have to show going forward to not lose 4+ games. It also showed glaring weaknesses in adjustments from the coaching staff, and that's not generally the kind of thing that can immediately improve.

Obviously anything can happen, and it's possible we turn it around and still have a very good season. I just don't see it as being at all likely at this point.

Not saying you're wrong but this is an overreaction. I agree there are concerns, but it's gone past the point of logic at this point with the evidence available.

We played terribly in a driving monsoon. Did you have this same opinion last year after the UGA game, Auburn game, or Arkansas games where he played just as bad in good weather?

Jarius
09-25-2018, 09:49 AM
Bo is a moron.

smootness
09-25-2018, 09:50 AM
Not saying you're wrong but this is an overreaction. I agree there are concerns, but it's gone past the point of logic at this point with the evidence available.

We played terribly in a driving monsoon. Did you have this same opinion last year after the UGA game, Auburn game, or Arkansas games where he played just as bad in good weather?

UGA is UGA. Yes, it looked bad, but they turned out to be amazing. Kentucky is not amazing.
Auburn is Auburn. Yes, it looked bad, but they turned out to be extremely good. Kentucky is not extremely good.
We beat Arkansas. It was an ugly game, but we won it. Saturday was not an ugly game, it was an absolutely reprehensible game.

The bad weather excuse doesn't fly. If anything, it highlights even more the glaring lack of preparation and ability to adjust on the part of the coaching staff. The fact that we threw so much and ran so little with our RBs would have been atrocious in good weather. In bad weather, it's inexcusable.

Kentucky lined up and beat us down. Kentucky. It was way worse than a 'let's sit back and see what happens' kind of game. It was a 'this spells doom' kind of game.

EdDawg
09-25-2018, 09:52 AM
We played awful last Saturday. One of our worst games in years while Kentucky made very few mistakes and still the game of close at the beginning of the 4th.

The people that are predicting 6-6 are expecting us to be that bad almost every week, and I don't expect that to be the case.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2018, 09:52 AM
UGA is UGA. Yes, it looked bad, but they turned out to be amazing. Kentucky is not amazing.
Auburn is Auburn. Yes, it looked bad, but they turned out to be extremely good. Kentucky is not extremely good.
We beat Arkansas. It was an ugly game, but we won it. Saturday was not an ugly game, it was an absolutely reprehensible game.

The bad weather excuse doesn't fly. If anything, it highlights even more the glaring lack of preparation and ability to adjust on the part of the coaching staff. The fact that we threw so much and ran so little with our RBs would have been atrocious in good weather. In bad weather, it's inexcusable.

Kentucky lined up and beat us down. Kentucky. It was way worse than a 'let's sit back and see what happens' kind of game. It was a 'this spells doom' kind of game.

Gerrymandering with little evidence.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2018, 09:54 AM
FWIW, Luginbill thinks we are fine and figure it out.

He went through Moorhead's past.

It's interesting because he watched the film as an objective observer. He thinks MSU will figure it out.

StateDawg44
09-25-2018, 09:54 AM
The WR unit doesn't feel a single bit different than last year to me. Other than the fact that my expectations for last years was low compared to this years bunch. Guess my expectations were off.

I've seen multiple times that Guidry is on another level than what we had but I haven't seen it translate to anything on the field that makes him a break out receiver that we've desperately needed. Guess it's a step in the right direction and he could be taking pressure off of other receivers we have.

msstate7
09-25-2018, 09:55 AM

What evidence do you have to the contrary?

smootness
09-25-2018, 09:56 AM

It's interesting because he watched the film as an objective observer. He thinks MSU will figure it out.

I think we may be 'fine'; the problem is, that we would have to make massive improvements in a short period of time to not lose a bunch of games with Auburn, LSU, A&M, and Bama all coming up in the next month and a half.

'Fine' leaves us at about 7-5.

smootness
09-25-2018, 09:56 AM

The evidence I have is the complete 0 we laid on Saturday.

Tell me what you have to show that games means little.

Jack Lambert
09-25-2018, 09:58 AM
Bo is a moron.

Plus he wants to be a big shot so bad he will get on his knees for any ESPN person he meets.

louisvilledawg
09-25-2018, 10:04 AM
You know how nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills?

Well nobody moves goalposts like Bo Bounds.

Also, we should name the show the Dave Bartoo show because I don't think Bo formulates any opinions on his own. He just regurgitates whatever Bartoo says.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2018, 10:09 AM
What evidence do you have to the contrary?

Very little but there is an appropriate level of responsibily freaking out that we've bypassed.

smootness
09-25-2018, 10:10 AM
Very little but there is an appropriate level of responsibily freaking out that we've bypassed.

I'm not freaking out or panicking. I'm just objectively explaining what I saw Saturday. Teams have bad games, yes. That was an atrocious game. We have to turn it around in a big way in a very short period of time. It's possible, but it has to be done, or else we are.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2018, 10:11 AM
I think we may be 'fine'; the problem is, that we would have to make massive improvements in a short period of time to not lose a bunch of games with Auburn, LSU, A&M, and Bama all coming up in the next month and a half.

'Fine' leaves us at about 7-5.

Luginbill talked about Penn State getting blown out by Michigan early in Moorhead's first year and then going to the Rose Bowl. Moorhead has made these adjustments before quickly.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2018, 10:12 AM
The WR unit doesn't feel a single bit different than last year to me. Other than the fact that my expectations for last years was low compared to this years bunch. Guess my expectations were off.

I've seen multiple times that Guidry is on another level than what we had but I haven't seen it translate to anything on the field that makes him a break out receiver that we've desperately needed. Guess it's a step in the right direction and he could be taking pressure off of other receivers we have.

The talent level is better. I agree they aren't playing much better yet

msstate7
09-25-2018, 10:13 AM
Luginbill talked about Penn State getting blown out by Michigan early in Moorhead's first year and then going to the Rose Bowl. Moorhead has made these adjustments before quickly.

James franklin helping us out the rest of the year?

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2018, 10:14 AM
I'm not freaking out or panicking. I'm just objectively explaining what I saw Saturday. Teams have bad games, yes. That was an atrocious game. We have to turn it around in a big way in a very short period of time. It's possible, but it has to be done, or else we are.

Objectively. Suuuuurrreeee.....

None of us are objective. We just express our subjectivity in different ways.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2018, 10:15 AM
James franklin helping us out the rest of the year?

James Franklin was on the hot seat before Moorhead showed up.

The better question would've been, "is Trace McSorely helping us this weekend?"

smootness
09-25-2018, 10:24 AM

And that's fair. But a few things:

1) Kentucky ain't Michigan, not on defense.
2) Penn State had the benefit of a Big 10 schedule. Yes, they beat Ohio St. and Wisconsin but they had the benefit of playing no one else, so they had a little more time to put things together.
3) Penn State's talent wasn't as well set up for them to perform well early. They had ranked below 100 in offense in 2015. Moorhead undoubtedly did a great job with them then, but this team was much better set up to play well early on. And not only did we not at all (and really didn't look great before that), but we did the opposite of what we did so well last year.

Moorhead is either at least as stubborn as Mullen, or he just doesn't understand the issues we had Saturday and how to adjust them on the fly. Both are problems.

smootness
09-25-2018, 10:25 AM
Objectively. Suuuuurrreeee.....

None of us are objective. We just express our subjectivity in different ways.

Ok, fine. I'm just explaining what I saw Saturday. Yes, we're all biased. And I'm not sitting here saying we need to fire Moorhead. He certainly gets an opportunity to turn it around. But if we look similarly this week against Florida? Yes, I think he'll eventually be done, it's just a matter of when.

msstate7
09-25-2018, 10:28 AM
James Franklin was on the hot seat before Moorhead showed up.

The better question would've been, "is Trace McSorely helping us this weekend?"

Franklin is severely underrated by state fans. The dude won at freaking vandy. Given the choice of Moorhead or franklin, only a fool would choose Moorhead. Giving Moorhead credit for franklin winning is like saying urban couldn't win without Mullen. Penn state's offense hasn't lost a step SO FAR after losing geseki, Barkley, and Moorhead.
Now I think Moorhead is a really good OC, and hopefully a HC... just saying franklin has won without Moorhead and he'll win without him (not this week though haha)

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2018, 10:32 AM
And that's fair. But a few things:

1) Kentucky ain't Michigan, not on defense.
2) Penn State had the benefit of a Big 10 schedule. Yes, they beat Ohio St. and Wisconsin but they had the benefit of playing no one else, so they had a little more time to put things together.
3) Penn State's talent wasn't as well set up for them to perform well early. They had ranked below 100 in offense in 2015. Moorhead undoubtedly did a great job with them then, but this team was much better set up to play well early on. And not only did we not at all (and really didn't look great before that), but we did the opposite of what we did so well last year.

Moorhead is either at least as stubborn as Mullen, or he just doesn't understand the issues we had Saturday and how to adjust them on the fly. Both are problems.

I'm not sure if any of this is true.

Are we sure that Michigan's 2016 defense was actually that much better than Kentucky's? You're making a ton of assumptions

smootness
09-25-2018, 10:32 AM
Moorhead deserves tons of credit for what he did at Penn State, and he deserves credit for what he did at Fordham. I was excited that we hired him based on those things, and they haven't changed. But it also has nothing to do with what he will do here. And through 4 games, it is a major disappointment. The next 8 could be great, we'll see.

smootness
09-25-2018, 10:34 AM

Are we sure that Michigan's 2016 defense was actually that much better than Kentucky's? You're making a ton of assumptions

Michigan had the #1 defense in the country in 2016.

msstate7
09-25-2018, 10:35 AM
Michigan had the #1 defense in the country in 2016.

How do you know Kentucky's defense isn't better than 2011 bama?

BuckyIsAB****
09-25-2018, 10:53 AM

No offense to Tom Luginbill or you but I heard the same segment and not only did he say he hasnt watched our film yet but I trust myself more than I trust Luginbill's.

It sounds like you are trying to convince yourself everything is ok. This saturday is nut cutting time. Last saturday night was absolutely unacceptable and if it happens again this season is garbage compared to what it should have been given who we are. Moorhead better simplify his offense and stop trying to be the smartest guy in the room and get control of his guys real quick. Because that is why we lost. It wasnt the rain and it wasnt UK. If we played UK with our shit together we win convincingly. It was us. And that lands on the head coach.

BuckyIsAB****
09-25-2018, 10:55 AM

He wasnt the head coach then and that Michigan team aint shit compared to what hes going to see

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2018, 11:13 AM
Pessimists will be pessimistic and optimists will be optimistic. I'm not sure you can convince either group to change sides.

Your choice

smootness
09-25-2018, 11:21 AM
Pessimists will be pessimistic and optimists will be optimistic. I'm not sure you can convince either group to change sides.

Your choice

I was optimistic until that Kentucky game. Now I'm on the fence. If we lose to Florida, I'll turn pessimistic in a big way, and I think I'll be right to do so.

WSOPdawg
09-25-2018, 11:25 AM
Good lord, listening to Bo Bounds & the overreaction by him & others is hilarious. There are concerns but sheesh, let's see how the team responds before saying they are going 6-6 or 7-5. Completely ridiculous to write off a team with this much talent this early.

I tuned Bo out a long time ago -- he was next in line after the Clarion Liar. And life has been a lot better without listening to his BS negative-MSU perspective.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2018, 11:27 AM
I was optimistic until that Kentucky game. Now I'm on the fence. If we lose to Florida, I'll turn pessimistic in a big way, and I think I'll be right to do so.

I think this is reasonable. About where I am.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2018, 11:28 AM
I tuned Bo out a long time ago -- he was next in line after the Clarion Liar. And life has been a lot better without listening to his BS negative-MSU perspective.

Good for you. I like his show but think sometimes he has really stupid opinions

dawgday166
09-25-2018, 11:32 AM

Tied exactly with Bama for #1 in Total D nationally.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2018, 11:34 AM

So you're saying they were as good as Bama?

Fred Garvin
09-25-2018, 11:37 AM
Franklin is severely underrated by state fans. The dude won at freaking vandy. Given the choice of Moorhead or franklin, only a fool would choose Moorhead. Giving Moorhead credit for franklin winning is like saying urban couldn't win without Mullen. Penn state's offense hasn't lost a step SO FAR after losing geseki, Barkley, and Moorhead.
Now I think Moorhead is a really good OC, and hopefully a HC... just saying franklin has won without Moorhead and he'll win without him (not this week though haha)

Talk to Penn State fans and they'll tell you Franklin was on the hot seat before Moorhead showed up.

Dawg61
09-25-2018, 11:40 AM

To me it depends more on how Moorhead acts/coaches in the Florida game that will determine if I start to lose some faith or not more so than the final score.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2018, 11:43 AM

FWIW, Kentucky is currently 11th in defense, and, outside of UGA and maybe Mizzou putting up some yards, I'm not sure how far they fall.

dawgday166
09-25-2018, 11:43 AM
So you're saying they were as good as Bama?

Probably not as good maybe ... but would still probably be 2nd in SEC that year wouldn't you say? If you wanna believe otherwise, go right ahead.

Go look at Bama's 2016 schedule and tell me who on that schedule outside of Clemson in CFP Championship game was gonna stress them a lot. Their East crossover that year was Ky.

dawgday166
09-25-2018, 11:47 AM
FWIW, Kentucky is currently 11th in defense, and, outside of UGA and maybe Mizzou putting up some yards, I'm not sure how far they fall.

And we're 8th. Can you remind me who Ky has played so far? Ohio St., Mich, Pitt (who had very good O that year with Matt Canada as OC), Wisconsin ...

dawgday166
09-25-2018, 11:48 AM
FWIW ... I wanna believe too. But I saw a lot of things Sat night that need corrected. Gotta do it in a hurry too.

Bothrops
09-25-2018, 12:31 PM
Bo is a moron.

But the whiskey and the stories of stardom from the past, bro..

TUSK
09-25-2018, 12:54 PM
How do you know Kentucky's defense isn't better than 2011 bama?

I know you're joshin', but to compare ANY modern D to the '11 Bammer D is borderline heresy...

RE: the '18 KY defense, I wanna see how they do vs Mond before I rep em (Lock & UGA, too)... They've got a few good to really good players, but let's pump the brakes;)

dawgday166
09-25-2018, 01:22 PM
I know you're joshin', but to compare ANY modern D to the '11 Bammer D is borderline heresy...

RE: the '18 KY defense, I wanna see how they do vs Mond before I rep em (Lock & UGA, too)... They've got a few good to really good players, but let's pump the brakes;)

You trying to "hook" me dude?? **

When any 2 teams that are real close play a rematch, the loser of 1st game has the distinct advantage. HOWEVER (before you get your panties in a wad Tusk **) ... the 2011 team (and 2012) were best teams in the country those years. Those Natty's weren't gifted to Bammer nation **