PDA

View Full Version : After watching UK game, anybody see any concern with LBer play?

Thick
09-25-2018, 08:49 AM
I?m not stating this to start an argument, but for us to have 4*?s at this position they don?t play like it. They are way too slow on their reads, and none seem to have ?headhunter? mentality. I?m expecting a lot, lot more from Leo, Errol, and Willie. In one back sets, the line zone blocks, that?s an easy read for LBers and we made it very difficult and got beat to the edge on a couple of plays. We talk about the dline a lot, but our LBers should be all over the place making tackles with those studs upfront. That?s got to be better moving forward, and hopefully it begins this weekend .

msstate7
09-25-2018, 08:53 AM
Slow play could be new system.

Maroonthirteen
09-25-2018, 08:59 AM
I’ve been underwhelmed by one in particular for a couple
Of years.

We desperately need a Stud LB.

msstate7
09-25-2018, 09:02 AM
Of years.

He's at horn lake. Unfortunately, he ain't coming

Maroonthirteen
09-25-2018, 09:05 AM
He's at horn lake. Unfortunately, he ain't coming

Oh yeah? Ole miss or ?????? Desoto County is definitely rebel country. ..... And lots of H O T female Rebs there are around here (totally different topic all together)

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2018, 09:15 AM
- First off, Leo has been a head hunter. To a fault.
- Willie Gay looks like he should be better. Not sure why he isn't playing at a higher level.
- I think you could make an argument that, from a fan's perspective, Lukabu has been a little disappointing. I could be wrong & am perfectly willing to admit that, but with us not being in it for Nakobe Dean, struggling with Derrick Hall, & our LBs playing at a below average level, it's a little concerning.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2018, 09:16 AM
Oh yeah? Ole miss or ?????? Desoto County is definitely rebel country. ..... And lots of H O T female Rebs there are around here (totally different topic all together)

UGA or Bama. I can't imagine any defensive players going to Ole Miss right now

louisvilledawg
09-25-2018, 09:20 AM
UGA or Bama. I can't imagine any defensive players going to Ole Miss right now

They could definitely make a sell on playing time. and straight cash is a good incentive as well.

BeardoMSU
09-25-2018, 09:26 AM
I thought Leo has been playing really well. That roughing penalty he got was bull shit.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2018, 09:29 AM
They could definitely make a sell on playing time. and straight cash is a good incentive as well.

Vandy, Kentucky, Arkansas, & others can sell playing time.

It's a bad sell when the coaching & players around you suck.

He ain't going there

bulldawg28
09-25-2018, 09:48 AM
I?m not stating this to start an argument, but for us to have 4*?s at this position they don?t play like it. They are way too slow on their reads, and none seem to have ?headhunter? mentality. I?m expecting a lot, lot more from Leo, Errol, and Willie. In one back sets, the line zone blocks, that?s an easy read for LBers and we made it very difficult and got beat to the edge on a couple of plays. We talk about the dline a lot, but our LBers should be all over the place making tackles with those studs upfront. That?s got to be better moving forward, and hopefully it begins this weekend .

Yes, they filed no gaps and Snell was running into the secondary untouched.

EdDawg
09-25-2018, 09:58 AM
I went to a small high school and had to play several different positions from year to year, but mainly Dline and LB. whenever we switched scheme LB was the toughest for me to pick up how to play in the new scheme.

bulldawg28
09-25-2018, 10:27 AM
LB isn't as difficult as some of you are making it. Slow reaction is a result of guessing. Your keys take you to the football.

BuckyIsAB****
09-25-2018, 10:35 AM

I dont like the 4-2-5 scheme. ILB is probably the hardest spot to play in it.

I just think it asks a lot of those 2 guys in the middle and it is pretty predictable. Its essentially a 4-2 box look 8 times out of 10. I can scheme that up all day. I did see on one of their TDs Thompson made a bad fit and Leo didnt scrape well over the top. We need to rotate the DL more if we are really that good and deep. We only played about 6 guys saturday up front.

And Rayford is not very good. Williams must have a injury because it cant be much worse than Rayford right now. I almost threw something when he gave them a 1st down with that stupid ball flip. Then followed that up by letting that UK TE snatch it off his head when all he had to do was jump

sscjr1
09-25-2018, 10:41 AM
I think after the KY game, most every position is of concern

EdDawg
09-25-2018, 11:09 AM
I dont like the 4-2-5 scheme. ILB is probably the hardest spot to play in it.

I just think it asks a lot of those 2 guys in the middle and it is pretty predictable. Its essentially a 4-2 box look 8 times out of 10. I can scheme that up all day. I did see on one of their TDs Thompson made a bad fit and Leo didnt scrape well over the top. We need to rotate the DL more if we are really that good and deep. We only played about 6 guys saturday up front.

And Rayford is not very good. Williams must have a injury because it cant be much worse than Rayford right now. I almost threw something when he gave them a 1st down with that stupid ball flip. Then followed that up by letting that UK TE snatch it off his head when all he had to do was jump

Rayford was given a penalty for PI when the tight end jumped over his back. If Rayford jumps, he more than likely gets a penalty for targeting.

NCDawg
09-25-2018, 11:18 AM
Of years.

Agreed. Look no further than the Ole Miss game last year.

tcdog70
09-25-2018, 11:23 AM
With our DL-our Line backers should make all-SEC. They were the reason Snell had a big game. They either whiffed on the tackle or got lost in the flow. I don't understand why we didn't run blitz more--the QB is a shitty passer. Jackie said you must stop the run on defense and run the ball on offense. has this become obsolete?

dawgday166
09-25-2018, 11:39 AM

I noticed it at times in first 3 games ... chalked it up to going to sleep some cause of winning so big. But not Sat night. They take wrong angles quite often and don't always play their gaps either. So to sum up ... yes I've seen some things that concern me. They aren't playing to an elite level that's for sure.

DBs take bad angles to runner too, and have almost zero ball skills. We got problems. Most of them on D are eye discipline problems IMO, with exception of not beating WRs for balls in the air.

Most all of our problems are coaching IMO tho.

NCDawg
09-25-2018, 11:42 AM
Rayford was given a penalty for PI when the tight end jumped over his back. If Rayford jumps, he more than likely gets a penalty for targeting.

Their guy had his hands over Rayford's face guard. He couldn't see the ball.

NCDawg
09-25-2018, 11:45 AM
I think after the KY game, most every position is of concern

I think Rivers should be starting at the DE opposite Sweat. He's too good to be sitting on the bench.

Brahmabull
09-25-2018, 12:05 PM
Thick - I thought the same thing. Our LB's are slow to read, get caught in flow, get easily blocked and sealed (due to slow read). If they are this bad with our current DL in front of them, how bad would they be with an average DL? One of the concerns I had when we hired Shoop was changing scheme again.

Bothrops
09-25-2018, 12:19 PM
Got to be scheme

jackindabox
09-25-2018, 01:42 PM
I can see where you are coming from and there could be improvement with the LBers but I'm not concerned with the defense at this point. The only thing that concerns me about this team at all is the offensive line. Not because I dont think they are talented enough but because Moorhead seems like he is running into new schemes in the SEC and is maybe not used to the quickness of the defensive line play. I dont know enough about this area but on his press conference he mentioned it. I dont know if he knows the solution. Obviously he is aware of it because he addressed it and I think he is a good enough coach to get it corrected but if we dont have a really good season I think it will be because of the O-line. The defense is playing outstanding so far.

Leeshouldveflanked
09-25-2018, 02:12 PM
Should have moved Peters to LB 3 years ago... no RB would beat Peters to the gap on the fit...he could have played inside or outside...inside would have been a good fit for Peters.... even at the 2 hole. :)

NCDawg
09-25-2018, 03:49 PM
I can see where you are coming from and there could be improvement with the LBers but I'm not concerned with the defense at this point. The only thing that concerns me about this team at all is the offensive line. Not because I dont think they are talented enough but because Moorhead seems like he is running into new schemes in the SEC and is maybe not used to the quickness of the defensive line play. I dont know enough about this area but on his press conference he mentioned it. I dont know if he knows the solution. Obviously he is aware of it because he addressed it and I think he is a good enough coach to get it corrected but if we dont have a really good season I think it will be because of the O-line. The defense is playing outstanding so far.

I don't think the defense is playing outstanding so far. They gave up quite a few big runs last week. but I agree with you about the OL. The OL has been a major problem for us for years.

Lord McBuckethead
09-25-2018, 06:49 PM
With our DL-our Line backers should make all-SEC. They were the reason Snell had a big game. They either whiffed on the tackle or got lost in the flow. I don't understand why we didn't run blitz more--the QB is a shitty passer. Jackie said you must stop the run on defense and run the ball on offense. has this become obsolete?

They did immediately upon the snap run directly into the backs of our DL. Running directly into the fray. No possible way to make the tackle, unless Snell decided to run into them, which he obviously didn't. I could swear that Abram and McClaurin had 45 tackles in that game. Most were the first time Snell got touched past the line.

Pit Bull
09-25-2018, 06:56 PM
I thought Leo has been playing really well. That roughing penalty he got was bull shit.

Yes....very bad call and a very good tackle that was not late. KY got a lot of calls like BAMA does at home and I was surprised at that. Not that it mattered, but it could have changed momentum in several instances that would have possibly made it a closer game.

BuckyIsAB****
09-25-2018, 11:36 PM

Jump for the ball not the guy. Come on bro. Aint no way Rayford could get a targeting in that position on that play

biggun
09-26-2018, 08:42 AM
Mark McLaurin has yet to defend 1 pass this year, no pass break ups, no INT’s, actually has yet to touch the football. Not sure if the scheme has him thinking or whatever but I expected a big year from him but so far he has missed tackles and has been late on seemingly every pass over the middle.

And agree on the rest of our secondary, we rarely if ever play the ball, lack ball hawks in a big way. Our secondary has been weak for years and this year is no exception

biggun
09-26-2018, 08:48 AM
And both Rayford and Smitherman should both be ST’s only, they have proven that the last couple of years. Let’s hope Marcus Murphy is coming on strong, we need an infusion of talent at CB, not mediocre players, don’t care how experienced they are. Talent trumps experience, especially when their “experience” has been average to below average for years

Lord McBuckethead
09-26-2018, 08:52 AM
He got trucked by the KState RB.