PDA

View Full Version : Wyatt's Film Room

ShotgunDawg
09-24-2018, 11:23 PM
Caution.... it's bad.

On other hand though, it makes me feel a little better. It's clear that the game was lost by our offensive line. Marcus Johnson's ability to get those guys to play to the best of their abilities is the key to this season, as it is most seasons. Everyone says we'll lose to Florida or won't cover the spread Saturday & that is absolutely true if the OL plays like it did Saturday, but, if our OL can play to their abilities, then we will cover the spread & could win going away.

We've got 3 NFL draft picks on the interior of our offensive line & the way they played the other night was absolutely unacceptable & unbecoming of their talent level. Marcus Johnson's ability to get that group right & challenge their manhood this week is the absolute key to victory this week vs Florida & next week vs Auburn.

Everyone says this team goes as Fitz goes, but I'm not sure that is correct. If the OL is playing to their potential, Fitz is gonna get his & whether it's on the ground or in air doesn't really matter. It's on the OL as to the outcome of this season. It's talented & has at times been one of the best units in the SEC, yet inexplicably looked lost the other night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2aPX7GhvK8

Irondawg
09-24-2018, 11:42 PM
on the selected offensive plays that we didn't do well on you can clearly see how effective running at Allen would have been as there were a couple of times with huge lanes there. Just got to hope they get that fixed.

BuckyIsAB****
09-24-2018, 11:56 PM
Its easy to 2nd guess but on the 3rd and 2 run with Aeris if we run outside zone to the right not inside or speed option up top, or maybe if Fitz keeps it on the play worst case he is 1 on 1 vs a safety to get 2 yards. I'll take Nick in that anyday.

On their 1st TD its a bad fit by Thompson and one reason I dont like the 4-2-5 is its pretty predictable and you are asking a lot of your 2 ILBs esp if you are playing Simmons as a head up nose.

You are asking your nickel to be a run first player and they are not. Also it looked like our 2 ILBs didnt know who had QB because we were late to fit the cutback a couple of times when he had outside help (the BS DE or Nickel) to play QB.

Offensively I dont care what happened there is no excuse for this team to be 10th in the SEC in rushing attempts. I hope Moorhead knows this

Cooterpoot
09-25-2018, 12:13 AM
Our coaches sucked. Did a terrible job last week.

HoopsDawg
09-25-2018, 07:31 AM
LSU won at AU and only rushed more than 4 once the entire game. That's the advantage of a 3-4. You never know which 4 are rushing. Grantham would have shut down UKs run game.

msstate7
09-25-2018, 07:35 AM
LSU won at AU and only rushed more than 4 once the entire game. That's the advantage of a 3-4. You never know which 4 are rushing. Grantham would have shut down UKs run game.

I thought you wanted a 4-2-5 guy

HoopsDawg
09-25-2018, 07:47 AM
I thought you wanted a 4-2-5 guy

3 years ago before we hired Sirmon I said I preferred a 4-2-5. I loved the Grantham hire and hoped we would stick with the 3-4. Joe went after Michigan's dcoord first but I think there just aren't that many great 3-4 guys to hire.

Doggie_Style
09-25-2018, 07:59 AM
Again....our coaches did not make adjustments for what was happening in real time......that's a huge concern

HoopsDawg
09-25-2018, 08:29 AM
I've never seen a defensive staff win a game the way UKs did. Who's in the booth making adjustments?

Commercecomet24
09-25-2018, 08:36 AM
What I find interesting is, I'm a Pats fan and the same things being said here are being said on Patriots message boards, i.e. no adjustments, bad play calling, no emotion, no sense of urgency, etc.. It was a bad weekend for me. We sucked, Dallas sucked and the Pats sucked. If not for the Braves clinching would've been a complete bust. I hope this weekend goes much better.

WSOPdawg
09-25-2018, 08:45 AM
Its easy to 2nd guess but on the 3rd and 2 run with Aeris if we run outside zone to the right not inside or speed option up top, or maybe if Fitz keeps it on the play worst case he is 1 on 1 vs a safety to get 2 yards. I'll take Nick in that anyday.

On their 1st TD its a bad fit by Thompson and one reason I dont like the 4-2-5 is its pretty predictable and you are asking a lot of your 2 ILBs esp if you are playing Simmons as a head up nose.

You are asking your nickel to be a run first player and they are not. Also it looked like our 2 ILBs didnt know who had QB because we were late to fit the cutback a couple of times when he had outside help (the BS DE or Nickel) to play QB.

Offensively I dont care what happened there is no excuse for this team to be 10th in the SEC in rushing attempts. I hope Moorhead knows this

I think certain teams should dictate whether we run a 4-2-5 or a 4-3. Against UK, who can't pass for crap, we should have had 3 LBs on the field for the majority of the snaps imo. Against OM or aTm, I think the 4-2-5 is fine.

About midway through Matt's film study (camera from the backside), did anyone notice the size mismatch with Abram on a UK O-lineman. I love Abram, but after seeing that play, I was thinking it would have been better to see a bigger body at the 2nd level.

Liverpooldawg
09-25-2018, 08:55 AM
This week will tell you all you need to know about this team. I said I was going to wait till I saw them against decent opposition before I formed an opinion. The trends I saw against the cupcakes were what beat us in Lexington against a decent opponent. If they aren't corrected then it's going to be a long, long year. This game is about as close as you can get to a make or break game this early in a coaching tenure. I'm not saying we have to win it, but we do have to play like an organized football team that cares. 3 of the first 4 games were not good.

Cooterpoot
09-25-2018, 09:01 AM
We played our safeties in coverage most of the night against a team that can't throw it. Our LBs were completely lost. Our OL was an embarrassment. Our coaches didn't adjust to what KY was doing. We were not prepared at all for that game. Oh, and our punters sucked. The penalties are a given. The inability to get a play called and executed is another given so far this season. The DL is the only unit that played decent and it's becoming crystal clear that Baker is the best coach and recruiter on this staff. We better pay that man.

Tbonewannabe
09-25-2018, 01:05 PM
We played our safeties in coverage most of the night against a team that can't throw it. Our LBs were completely lost. Our OL was an embarrassment. Our coaches didn't adjust to what KY was doing. We were not prepared at all for that game. Oh, and our punters sucked. The penalties are a given. The inability to get a play called and executed is another given so far this season. The DL is the only unit that played decent and it's becoming crystal clear that Baker is the best coach and recruiter on this staff. We better pay that man.

The ball was doing something funny in the air. It was like there was dead air if it got too high. UK went to a rugby style kick and we just kept banging our head against the wall.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-25-2018, 01:22 PM

You... you do know Grantham played Kentucky this year, right? UF gave up 300 rush yards, Snell had 175 and Wilson had 105. Both averaged over 6.5 a carry. I know Florida has worse talent than we do, but if Granthams' scheme was UK kryptonite then it wouldn't have been near that bad. Grantham's scheme was dominated by Kentucky

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-25-2018, 01:29 PM
It's interesting, we all agree that a 4-3 woud have been better against Kentucky. We all agree that the LBs were not well coached in their assignments or how to stop Wilson. We all agree the offensive gameplan and playcalling was bad. We all agree there were missed adjustments on both sides of the ball. Now some of y'all are pointing out our lack of punting adjustments.

It really seems to me like the staff was completely unprepared in all 3 phases, and didn't really focus on the game. Wonder if they though they'd just walk away with an easy win, or if they were looking ahead to Florida. I hope so, because the alternative is that this staff sucks ass at game prep and in game coaching. Only thing I will say in defense of a coach is that the D only gave up 300 yards, so even though Shoop could have done better his unit still did pretty good. That's the only asterisk though

BB30
09-25-2018, 02:59 PM
You... you do know Grantham played Kentucky this year, right? UF gave up 300 rush yards, Snell had 175 and Wilson had 105. Both averaged over 6.5 a carry. I know Florida has worse talent than we do, but if Granthams' scheme was UK kryptonite then it wouldn't have been near that bad. Grantham's scheme was dominated by Kentucky

Ha Ha thank you. I got my daily laugh in for the day.

Also, UFs DL is pretty solid as well as their DBs so it isn't like Grantham is working with an empty cupboard. Sometimes I think our talent on D made Grantham look really good. Not saying he isn't a solid D coordinator, he is but he also has his flaws like every other coach in the country not named Saban.

BB30
09-25-2018, 03:03 PM
It's interesting, we all agree that a 4-3 woud have been better against Kentucky. We all agree that the LBs were not well coached in their assignments or how to stop Wilson. We all agree the offensive gameplan and playcalling was bad. We all agree there were missed adjustments on both sides of the ball. Now some of y'all are pointing out our lack of punting adjustments.

It really seems to me like the staff was completely unprepared in all 3 phases, and didn't really focus on the game. Wonder if they though they'd just walk away with an easy win, or if they were looking ahead to Florida. I hope so, because the alternative is that this staff sucks ass at game prep and in game coaching. Only thing I will say in defense of a coach is that the D only gave up 300 yards, so even though Shoop could have done better his unit still did pretty good. That's the only asterisk though

I don't get the knock on our defense. Other than the penalties they played good for 3 1/2 qtrs. When the offense has a bunch of quick 3 and outs I don't care how good your depth is your defense is going to get tired.

I do agree on some of your other points but the defense wasn't the problem Saturday. They played good enough for us to come out of there with a win if our offense is even remotely decent moving the ball. Thats a game where you have to go in there and kick them in the teeth quick, get up a couple scores and then they would have laid down. You let a team hang around and play ho hum on offense and you get beat on the road against a solid team.

Dawgology
09-25-2018, 03:14 PM

This is exactly my thought. You want to think: first time head coach caught looking forward to Florida thinking UK would be an easy out. I REALLY hope that is what it was or we are ROYALLY screwed.

Cowbell
09-25-2018, 03:24 PM
This is exactly my thought. You want to think: first time head coach caught looking forward to Florida thinking UK would be an easy out. I REALLY hope that is what it was or we are ROYALLY screwed.

This is what worries me the most. Moorehead claimed on Thursday night at the Veranda that this was by far the best and most complete week of practice they have had. And then that was the product. Something just does not add up to this being only a mulligan.

Dawg61
09-25-2018, 03:55 PM
Defense only gave up 300 yards even with our offense only getting 201 yards. Pass interference call on Rayford was criminal.

Turfdawg67
09-25-2018, 04:26 PM
Defense only gave up 300 yards even with our offense only getting 201 yards. Pass interference call on Rayford was criminal.

Agreed. I wish someone would do a film study on the refs and their incompetence. Then send that sh*t to the SEC offices. It's really getting ridiculous! I'm not saying they are why we lost the game, but they gave UK a TD and definitely took one away from us. Not to mention the crotch grabbing, face masks, bullsh*t roughing the passer, etc...