PDA

View Full Version : Alright, time for the fanbase to rebound

Lord McBuckethead
09-24-2018, 07:52 PM
We want the team to rebound, time for us to rebound as well.

msstate7
09-24-2018, 07:57 PM
We will give this team a packed rowdy house Saturday night. The team needs to take care of their business

DawgFromOxford
09-24-2018, 07:58 PM
Amen. Rep Given

Todd4State
09-24-2018, 09:59 PM
We want the team to rebound, time for us to rebound as well.

That's the most puzzling thing to me- it seems like we have had so many fans just jump off the bandwagon immediately.

BuckyIsAB****
09-24-2018, 10:15 PM
That's the most puzzling thing to me- it seems like we have had so many fans just jump off the bandwagon immediately.

Because that was the worst we have looked in 9 years and in 7 of those 9 years the guy leading the program didnt even wanna be here by the end of the season.

So hell yeah people are concerned. Every right to be. UK is not better than us and we lost by 21 points. We have the chance to have a special season nobody wants to see it wasted by trying to outsmart everyone and not being who we are.

He gets a mulligan its not fair for him not to get one. America is the land of 2nd chances

99jc
09-24-2018, 10:26 PM

Nobody has jumped off the bandwagon but Moorhead shit the bed Saturday. All I can say is I was in Manhattan and Lexington I will be in Starkvegas the next 2 weekends. If we lose to Fla and Auburn Moorhead is toast. This team is good but we are a running team and he better damn well realize it. I just don't know if he is a good head coach or not but the next 2 games will define him.

Pit Bull
09-25-2018, 12:32 AM
Well KY gave us the example of how to be loud throughout the game. They were damn loud on tv. A lot of times all I hear at Davis Wade is just cowbells ringing and no one yelling. It's loud....but if we can yell and ring the bells at the same time.....it can be deafening. We gotta welcome Felipe Franks with a good dose of noise and several DL greeting him facemask to facemask. Don Merlin is used to it and can only tell his players what it's like.....but I dont think any of them have ever played here in their careers.

Dawg61
09-25-2018, 12:56 AM
Because that was the worst we have looked in 9 years and in 7 of those 9 years the guy leading the program didnt even wanna be here by the end of the season.

So hell yeah people are concerned. Every right to be. UK is not better than us and we lost by 21 points. We have the chance to have a special season nobody wants to see it wasted by trying to outsmart everyone and not being who we are.

He gets a mulligan its not fair for him not to get one. America is the land of 2nd chances

Nobody has jumped off the bandwagon but Moorhead shit the bed Saturday. All I can say is I was in Manhattan and Lexington I will be in Starkvegas the next 2 weekends. If we lose to Fla and Auburn Moorhead is toast. This team is good but we are a running team and he better damn well realize it. I just don't know if he is a good head coach or not but the next 2 games will define him.

You two are melting really hard. It was 14-7 with 8 minutes to go vs what may end up being dubbed Kentucky's best team in the last 50 years. It was also raining for the entire game and on the road. Our QB played like crap again on the road and our soph LT had the worst game of his career with just about everyone else on the OL not much better than him.

Todd4State
09-25-2018, 01:17 AM

We looked every bit of that bad against Georgia and Auburn last year, not to mention Alabama 2016, South Alabama 2016, Arkansas 2016 and even though we won- Samford 2016 was bad too. I think we have some fans that have forgotten about that because we tried to run the ball in those games.

We lost because our offensive line was horrible moreso than anything else. I can't sit here and believe that we could have run the ball on them with our line playing like that. Yeah- maybe we could have done a couple of things to band aid it for a little while but I feel pretty confident that the odds of UK adjusting shortly thereafter are pretty high.

People can talk about how we have a chance to have a special season but the fact of the matter is years of poor offensive line recruiting and WR recruiting is hurting us. If we had upperclass talent and depth on the o-line like we had on the d-line this year and can have that at the same time- odds of being special increase quite a bit.

BuckyIsAB****
09-25-2018, 01:22 AM
You two are melting really hard. It was 14-7 with 8 minutes to go vs what may end up being dubbed Kentucky's best team in the last 50 years. It was also raining for the entire game and on the road. Our QB played like crap again on the road and our soph LT had the worst game of his career with just about everyone else on the OL not much better than him.

Kentuckys best team in 50 years is not better than us (def not 21 pts better) and they cant sniff Bama or UGA. And if we are going to do what we thought we could do this year it was one we had no business losing. If we are going to do what we thought we could do we have to compete with Bama. And UK cant compete with them. They just beat us by 21.

Thats no melt. That is facts.

BuckyIsAB****
09-25-2018, 01:26 AM
We looked every bit of that bad against Georgia and Auburn last year, not to mention Alabama 2016, South Alabama 2016, Arkansas 2016 and even though we won- Samford 2016 was bad too. I think we have some fans that have forgotten about that because we tried to run the ball in those games.

We lost because our offensive line was horrible moreso than anything else. I can't sit here and believe that we could have run the ball on them with our line playing like that. Yeah- maybe we could have done a couple of things to band aid it for a little while but I feel pretty confident that the odds of UK adjusting shortly thereafter are pretty high.

People can talk about how we have a chance to have a special season but the fact of the matter is years of poor offensive line recruiting and WR recruiting is hurting us. If we had upperclass talent and depth on the o-line like we had on the d-line this year and can have that at the same time- odds of being special increase quite a bit.

We had 0 chance vs Bama in 16 and no one expected anything different that what happened. Arkansas in 16 had nothing to do with not running the ball. We couldnt stop a nosebleed bc Mullen wanted to be part DC and HC.

I will give you UGA, Auburn in 17 and USA and Samford those were all shit performances. Samford was alot like Arkansas that year.

We could have ran the ball better than what we did but we didnt commit to it. All 5 of those OL's are probably NFL guys and 2 of them have a chance to go high in the draft. They didnt become bad players over night.

We beat them 45-7 with mainly the same OL and QB. And defense. And we got better at WR than we were a year ago. No excuses

Dawg61
09-25-2018, 01:44 AM
Kentuckys best team in 50 years is not better than us (def not 21 pts better) and they cant sniff Bama or UGA. And if we are going to do what we thought we could do this year it was one we had no business losing. If we are going to do what we thought we could do we have to compete with Bama. And UK cant compete with them. They just beat us by 21.

Thats no melt. That is facts.

At no point in time have I ever thought we could compete with Bama or Georgia this year. Nobody can. Except Bama and Georgia. We need Saban to retire as does the entire rest of college football before Alabama can maybe start coming back to the rest of the pack some. That's just reality dude. Saban has built a monster dynasty and he keeps improving them at a faster rate than we can improve ourselves. Kentucky is also an improved program. It's taken Stoops 6 years but he's gotten it done. Kudos to them for sticking with him and to Stoops for building Kentucky into a formidable SEC East program. They have a realistic chance to go 11-1 this year. That ass whooping we just took needs to permanently change the way you think of Kentucky football under Stoops moving forward.

Dawg2003
09-25-2018, 06:12 AM
I've just realized that this is going to be a bumpy ride through November as Moorhead learns how to be a head coach. He said all the right things in the press conference, but will that translate to the field Saturday? I have a hard time believing the problems we have can be fixed in one week, but we shall see. The penalties have not been fixed through 4 games.

I actually bought the hype this year, and I've never done that with a football team before. Even when we had Dak, I never fully bought into the hype. I knew the bottom would fall out at some point. This year, I bought into it. Never again. It's just so hard to dig a program out of the gutter like Mullen did that it would be catastrophic to backslide.

Matty Dispatch
09-25-2018, 06:22 AM
I've just realized that this is going to be a bumpy ride through November as Moorhead learns how to be a head coach. He said all the right things in the press conference, but will that translate to the field Saturday? I have a hard time believing the problems we have can be fixed in one week, but we shall see. The penalties have not been fixed through 4 games.

I actually bought the hype this year, and I've never done that with a football team before. Even when we had Dak, I never fully bought into the hype. I knew the bottom would fall out at some point. This year, I bought into it. Never again. It's just so hard to dig a program out of the gutter like Mullen did that it would be catastrophic to backslide.

Post like this are funny to me. I guess some people just have the personality or past experiences they are afraid to get hurt. If that's you I'm sorry. But come on - you learn from adversity. We have hit adversity. People don't stay the same and neither do football teams. MSU's coaching staff and players will learn from this loss and improve. They may not fix everything this week, but hopefully they will fix enough to win. By November this will not be the same team you see in September. And you'll forget all about it because that's what happens to prisoners of the moment.

cheewgumm
09-25-2018, 07:46 AM
We ( supposedly) have the oat talent w?ve wver has .this is the team e?ve waited on.

Moorhead has one job - Don?t screw it up.

We lose at Kentucky and look like crap. That is screwing it up.

We aren?t rebuilding... t hat happens next year.

This is all my concern. If we play like that with these players, what are we gonna do with lesser players?

Also we didn?t hire him thinking ?he needs time to get his players here?. We hired him to take th most talented team we?ve ever had and maximize their potential.

Losing to Kentucky is not doing that.

Matty Dispatch
09-25-2018, 07:55 AM
Losing to Kentucky sucked. The way we lost sucked worse. But all the goals for the season can still be accomplished, granted we will have to run the table or close to it. How about we wait to see how Moorhead and the team respond before totally freaking out. If we lose to Florida, then sure freak out. It seems like a lot of wasted energy freaking out this week if we end up beating Florida and then the freak out is on hold. And then we beat Auburn and the freak out is called off. Just like the completion percentage freak out after Week 2 went away after week 3.

Cooterpoot
09-25-2018, 08:47 AM

1. UGA and AU were pretty elite teams last year. AU was a beast at home and UGA was the 2nd best team in America. Kentucky isn't that good.
2. Our OL talent didn't suddenly suck. This same line dominated KY last year. This basically same team dominated them.
3. We looked atrocious. It wasn't simply getting beat or having less talent. It's was a total coaching clinic by KY.

DW will be packed out and it'll be pretty crazy anyway. If we do that shit again this week, it's over for the fans and the staff. People can try to sugar coat it, but last week was as ugly as I've seen in a long time.

msstate7
09-25-2018, 08:53 AM
1. UGA and AU were pretty elite teams last year. AU was a beast at home and UGA was the 2nd best team in America. Kentucky isn't that good.
2. Our OL talent didn't suddenly suck. This same line dominated KY last year. This basically same team dominated them.
3. We looked atrocious. It wasn't simply getting beat or having less talent. It's was a total coaching clinic by KY.

DW will be packed out and it'll be pretty crazy anyway. If we do that shit again this week, it's over for the fans and the staff. People can try to sugar coat it, but last week was as ugly as I've seen in a long time.

Nah dude, last week was on Mullen. Moorhead just has nothing to work with**

Dawg61
09-25-2018, 09:15 AM

We played extremely poorly in the rain. We had 201 yards of offense. Kentucky only had 300 yards of offense. It was a very ugly game. We had almost as many penalty yards as we did offense. It was just a total shit show in the rain for us. I keep mentioning the rain for a reason. It melted us. WR's couldn't catch, QB couldn't throw, RB's couldn't run, OL couldn't block and our damn coaches couldn't get a play called in less than 25 seconds.

msstate7
09-25-2018, 09:18 AM
We played extremely poorly in the rain. We had 201 yards of offense. Kentucky only had 300 yards of offense. It was a very ugly game. We had almost as many penalty yards as we did offense. It was just a total shit show in the rain for us. I keep mentioning the rain for a reason. It melted us. WR's couldn't catch, QB couldn't throw, RB's couldn't run, OL couldn't block and our damn coaches couldn't get a play called in less than 25 seconds.

Rain predicted Saturday morning and Sunday AM. If rain is an auto loss, hope it stays clear. Personally, I think our problems Saturday were a little deeper than precipitation

Dawg61
09-25-2018, 09:20 AM
Rain predicted Saturday morning and Sunday AM. If rain is an auto loss, hope it stays clear. Personally, I think our problems Sunday were a little deeper than precitation

Rain on the road is an auto loss with this QB. Rain at home I think we can over come. We do have a lot of other problems though too.

Cooterpoot
09-25-2018, 09:21 AM

The rain had nothing to do with the poor coaching or OL blocking. Nothing. KY hasn't had a passing game all year.

Dawg61
09-25-2018, 09:23 AM
The rain had nothing to do with the poor coaching or OL blocking. Nothing. KY hasn't had a passing game all year.

It did though. We melted into nothing resembling a football team while standing in rain for 4 hours.

smootness
09-25-2018, 09:53 AM

This should have been our best team in the last 50 years, too.

smootness
09-25-2018, 09:53 AM
Rain on the road is an auto loss with this QB.

Then our coaches suck.

smootness
09-25-2018, 09:54 AM
It did though. We melted into nothing resembling a football team while standing in rain for 4 hours.

Then our coaches suck.

StateDawg44
09-25-2018, 09:58 AM

Crazy to think that UK in the exact same rain we did. What's your point?

Dawg61
09-25-2018, 10:24 AM
Then our coaches suck.

I don't think our coaches suck I think they got thrown into the deep end on the road in the rain in their very first SEC game and didn't handle it well. It's how they react to getting their asses handed to them that determines if they suck or not not the initial ass kicking. Everyone has adversity and setbacks in life it's how you deal with it that determines you.

Dawg61
09-25-2018, 10:27 AM
Crazy to think that UK in the exact same rain we did. What's your point?

Stoops is in year 6 as a SEC head coach. He's had many an ass beating. He's molded his team and himself into a much better program than when he found it do in large part to those ass beatings. Moorhead just got his first one. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater just cause we are butthurt from our first setback with a brand new coach.

smootness
09-25-2018, 10:29 AM
I don't think our coaches suck I think they got thrown into the deep end on the road in the rain in their very first SEC game and didn't handle it well. It's how they react to getting their asses handed to them that determines if they suck or not not the initial ass kicking. Everyone has adversity and setbacks in life it's how you deal with it that determines you.

That's fair.

But you said that playing on the road in the rain is an auto-loss with Fitzgerald. And if that's the case, then yes, our coaches suck.

I've never before seen a team or a fanbase say, 'Ahhh, it RAINED! What could we do?!' Rain happens. Weather happens. Good teams deal with it. Kentucky did.

mparkerfd20
09-25-2018, 10:34 AM
Florida rebounded after a bad loss to OM when Tebow was there and went on to win the rest. While we have a LONG way to go it's not out of the realm of possibility. I'm not giving up on original dreams unless we lose to UF too. We still control our own destiny, but the margin of error is now 0.

Cooterpoot
09-25-2018, 10:34 AM

No, we sucked. In every possible way we could suck, for the most part. Rain is a damn excuse. Ky played in it just like we did. It was a turf field, so footing wasn't an issue. We played on wet turf at Kstate. This team was completely unprepared and so were the coaches, but it wasn't because of the rain.

smootness
09-25-2018, 10:36 AM
Florida rebounded after a bad loss to OM when Tebow was there and went on to win the rest. While we have a LONG way to go it's not out of the realm of possibility. I'm not giving up on original dreams unless we lose to UF too. We still control our own destiny, but the margin of error is now 0.

I agree with you on looking to the Florida game this week to see how we rebound.

But in that 2008 game, Florida lost by 1 in a game in which they scored 30, put up 450 yards of offense, had 5 penalties, but lost 3 fumbles. It was sort of a fluky loss, they outplayed Ole Miss.

We got our butts kicked by a less talented team.

msstate7
09-25-2018, 10:37 AM

I think dreams of the west are out. My goal, although it's probably unrealistic at this point, is NY6 bowl.

BuckyIsAB****
09-25-2018, 10:42 AM
At no point in time have I ever thought we could compete with Bama or Georgia this year. Nobody can. Except Bama and Georgia. We need Saban to retire as does the entire rest of college football before Alabama can maybe start coming back to the rest of the pack some. That's just reality dude. Saban has built a monster dynasty and he keeps improving them at a faster rate than we can improve ourselves. Kentucky is also an improved program. It's taken Stoops 6 years but he's gotten it done. Kudos to them for sticking with him and to Stoops for building Kentucky into a formidable SEC East program. They have a realistic chance to go 11-1 this year. That ass whooping we just took needs to permanently change the way you think of Kentucky football under Stoops moving forward.

If you want to make excuses for Moorhead then fine but UK is not very good and were behind us in every conceivable way going into the game but now they are a good team. It doesnt work like that. It doesnt happen overnight. UGA is going to kill them.

My expectations are not to be ok, and neither were everybody elses including most importantly Moorhead's and the teams coming in. Saturday was absolutely unacceptable. The only reason they will finish with a good record is bc they are in the East.

StateDawg44
09-25-2018, 10:47 AM
Stoops is in year 6 as a SEC head coach. He's had many an ass beating. He's molded his team and himself into a much better program than when he found it do in large part to those ass beatings. Moorhead just got his first one. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater just cause we are butthurt from our first setback with a brand new coach.

What are you talking about? That has absolutely nothing to do with the excuse that you keep using about playing in rain as if it was an unbalanced playing field due to weather.

Where did I say throw in the towel or get rid of the whole coaching staff or even one person on the staff? Or even blame some one in particular? I haven't posted one freak out post about our team because of this weekend. If anything, quite the opposite. I'm still all good with our coaching staff and think the major overreaction and ref / rain excuses make our fanbase look like sore losers that can't do anything but point a finger at some weak made up reason.

Take this weekend for what it was and move on. We got our asses whooped because we weren't mentally there and didn't make adjustments as needed to help ourselves out. It happens to the best of them and certainly isn't anything new to MSU.

If some of our players do in fact have the attitude of some that are crying the sky is falling after this weekend then this is going to be a long embarrassing season. Grow some and pick yourself up with your head up. We got beat. God knows I hope the players are nothing like a very large chunk of our fans that are on this site.

Dawg61
09-25-2018, 10:50 AM
That's fair.

But you said that playing on the road in the rain is an auto-loss with Fitzgerald. And if that's the case, then yes, our coaches suck.

I've never before seen a team or a fanbase say, 'Ahhh, it RAINED! What could we do?!' Rain happens. Weather happens. Good teams deal with it. Kentucky did.

Where would you rank Fitzgerald as far as greatest all-time SEC QBs? He is about to hold the SEC rushing record but would you even put him in the top 50 or top 100 greatest SEC QBs ever? Name me one person on the planet that could magically turn Fitz into a top passing QB in the country in only 4 months since he just recovered from a broken ankle. I am trying really hard not to pile on Fitz here but you're making it very difficult. He was bad vs UK and it wasn't just his passing or lack of running. It was mainly how slowly he was managing the game and how poorly he was reading the defense and making decisions on the play to run based off of those reads.

StateDawg44
09-25-2018, 10:50 AM
If you want to make excuses for Moorhead then fine but UK is not very good and were behind us in every conceivable way going into the game but now they are a good team. It doesnt work like that. It doesnt happen overnight. UGA is going to kill them.

My expectations are not to be ok, and neither were everybody elses including most importantly Moorhead's and the teams coming in. Saturday was absolutely unacceptable. The only reason they will finish with a good record is bc they are in the East.

Keep saying that until you believe it maybe. It happened despite of your opinion you keep trying to sell as a fact and it's a big L on our season. Maybe you can reference last years score and act like it actually means something now. Or cite how many starters were on a team that beat them last year. Or maybe how we've owned them in the last 50 years. Who cares, quit pointing to the past and look ahead.

Dental Dawg33
09-25-2018, 10:52 AM
I'm not giving up on JoMo or this team. We knew we would eventually face some adversity but I never thought it would be game 4 against Kentucky. Granted I was dead wrong about Kentucky and they are better than I thought. But a one dimensional Kentucky team (6 years under Stoops or not) should not be able utterly dismantle and embarrass a team with this much talent. 16 penalties, minimal adjustments on offense and defense, passing almost every first down in the rain with a QB who is really only effective passing when its opened up with the run, letting Kentucky players live rent free in our head all night, no emotion from JoMo when 4-5 atrocious penalties were called, ect. There were a laundry list of red flags in that game that can be corrected but are very concerning. I know its first year coach this, first year offense that, but this is a veteran team that looked like JSU last weekend. Jury is still out but I pray it was in fact a fluke night. There is no excuse to be that bad with the team we have this year

Dawg61
09-25-2018, 10:54 AM
What are you talking about? That has absolutely nothing to do with the excuse that you keep using about playing in rain as if it was an unbalanced playing field due to weather.

Kentucky would look like total shit too if their bad passing QB attempted 32 passes in 4 hours of rain. There's didn't. Ours did. The rain melted our offense into nothing functional whatsoever.

BuckyIsAB****
09-25-2018, 11:00 AM
Keep saying that until you believe it maybe. It happened despite of your opinion you keep trying to sell as a fact and it's a big L on our season. Maybe you can reference last years score and act like it actually means something now. Or cite how many starters were on a team that beat them last year. Or maybe how we've owned them in the last 50 years. Who cares, quit pointing to the past and look ahead.

I've watched them play a full game twice and they are nowhere close to as good as Bama. Or UGA. And not as good as LSU, Auburn or probably A&M. Going into this season the expectations where and I quote ''A championship standard'' Im not going to do it because I dont have the time but go back and find the prediction thread for this year and you will see championship expectations.

BuckyIsAB****
09-25-2018, 11:03 AM
Kentucky would look like total shit too if their bad passing QB attempted 32 passes in 4 hours of rain. There's didn't. Ours did. The rain melted our offense into nothing functional whatsoever.

And at the end of the day whos fault its that??? If we're a running team and they are a running team then the rain shouldnt bother either one of us.

Moorhead tried to make us what we arent. He tried (or could be still trying) to fit a square peg in a round hole and it will never work. I know you cannot run into the teeth of a defense if there is a stacked box but you can hit the edges or do a number of things. We decided to continue to make Fitz 5 step drop and get killed over and over but somehow it is his fault. Did he play great? No. Nobody did. But Moorhead was the biggest shit show of the bunch in my book. And he is going to be held accountable for it.

smootness
09-25-2018, 11:08 AM
Where would you rank Fitzgerald as far as greatest all-time SEC QBs? He is about to hold the SEC rushing record but would you even put him in the top 50 or top 100 greatest SEC QBs ever? Name me one person on the planet that could magically turn Fitz into a top passing QB in the country in only 4 months since he just recovered from a broken ankle. I am trying really hard not to pile on Fitz here but you're making it very difficult. He was bad vs UK and it wasn't just his passing or lack of running. It was mainly how slowly he was managing the game and how poorly he was reading the defense and making decisions on the play to run based off of those reads.

Uh, no one? Which is why you don't pass the ball 32 times with him in the rain.

If the RPOs aren't working, or if he's not making the right read, you change course and start calling straight runs from the RB. Nothing says Moorhead must stick with his offense at all costs, not while we're getting hammered.

And that's my point. Either he doesn't know how to adjust...or he's even more stubborn than Mullen.

Dawg61
09-25-2018, 11:10 AM
And at the end of the day whos fault its that??? If we're a running team and they are a running team then the rain shouldnt bother either one of us.

Moorhead tried to make us what we arent. He tried (or could be still trying) to fit a square peg in a round hole and it will never work. I know you cannot run into the teeth of a defense if there is a stacked box but you can hit the edges or do a number of things. We decided to continue to make Fitz 5 step drop and get killed over and over but somehow it is his fault. Did he play great? No. Nobody did. But Moorhead was the biggest shit show of the bunch in my book. And he is going to be held accountable for it.

There's nothing we can do about it. We got our asses handed to us and our players and coaches performed very poorly in their first SEC road test this year. Moorhead gets 3 years minimum. I have faith in Moorhead. One ass beatdown in the rain on the road vs Kentucky doesn't change that for me.

smootness
09-25-2018, 11:11 AM

We had control over that!

Why are you acting as though these were hard rules stipulated before the game that we had to stick to? Nothing dictated we had to do that. They were just decisions we made. Bad ones. That's entirely why I'm so disappointed and pessimistic.

Dawg61
09-25-2018, 11:13 AM
Uh, no one? Which is why you don't pass the ball 32 times with him in the rain.

If the RPOs aren't working, or if he's not making the right read, you change course and start calling straight runs from the RB. Nothing says Moorhead must stick with his offense at all costs, not while we're getting hammered.

And that's my point. Either he doesn't know how to adjust...or he's even more stubborn than Mullen.

Fitz called 32 passes in the rain not Moorhead. Do I think he should of gotten on Fitz's ass about it? Yup. I have made a bunch of posts specifically about that. Moorhead needs to forget the nice guy routine during games and he needs to direct his offense to the guy showing it to the world.

Dawg61
09-25-2018, 11:17 AM
We had control over that!

Why are you acting as though these were hard rules stipulated before the game that we had to stick to? Nothing dictated we had to do that. They were just decisions we made. Bad ones. That's entirely why I'm so disappointed and pessimistic.

Moorhead needs to direct his offense not just let the QB do it apparently until the the QB proves he can. Idk maybe it takes making the wrong read 50 times in a game for the QB to learn not to make those same reads again.

smootness
09-25-2018, 11:19 AM
Moorhead needs to direct his offense not just let the QB do it apparently until the the QB proves he can. Idk maybe it takes making the wrong read 50 times in a game for the QB to learn not to make those same reads again.

Then let him make 10 wrong reads a game for 5 games and then don't let him have the reads the rest of those games. Don't go down in flames watching it happen. Not in a season in which we're trying to compete.

smootness
09-25-2018, 11:20 AM
Fitz called 32 passes in the rain not Moorhead.

What are you even talking about?

If that is true, Moorhead should be fired today.

Dawg61
09-25-2018, 11:36 AM
Then let him make 10 wrong reads a game for 5 games and then don't let him have the reads the rest of those games. Don't go down in flames watching it happen. Not in a season in which we're trying to compete.

What are you even talking about?

If that is true, Moorhead should be fired today.

The way I understand it Fitz has the option at the L.O.S. to pass it or run it based on his read of the defense. Maybe not all 32 passes were his decision but I do think a big portion of them were. Do I wish I could magically make Saban's intensity absorb into Moorhead's body? I do. I'd even settle for half-dead Malzahn at this point. I have made many a post about it this in the last two days. Moorhead has to direct his offense through his QB. He has to take control of the game. Not Fitz. Moorhead. That's gonna require ditching his introvert personality for 4 hours every Saturday. I'm fine with it for 164 hours a week but it's got to go the other 4 hours so idk if he needs to drink a gigantic Starbucks or pound 4 red bulls before game time but he himself needs to come on out of personality hibernation while trying to coach SEC football games. He's not the first introvert to put himself in an extrovert required position. He can do it. Fake it till you make it bud.

smootness
09-25-2018, 12:15 PM
The way I understand it Fitz has the option at the L.O.S. to pass it or run it based on his read of the defense. Maybe not all 32 passes were his decision but I do think a big portion of them were. Do I wish I could magically make Saban's intensity absorb into Moorhead's body? I do. I'd even settle for half-dead Malzahn at this point. I have made many a post about it this in the last two days. Moorhead has to direct his offense through his QB. He has to take control of the game. Not Fitz. Moorhead. That's gonna require ditching his introvert personality for 4 hours every Saturday. I'm fine with it for 164 hours a week but it's got to go the other 4 hours so idk if he needs to drink a gigantic Starbucks or pound 4 red bulls before game time but he himself needs to come on out of personality hibernation while trying to coach SEC football games. He's not the first introvert to put himself in an extrovert required position. He can do it. Fake it till you make it bud.

I don't understand you. We've been going back and forth on who is at fault, and you kept saying it was Fitz. Then you seemed to agree with me that it's Moorhead. Fitz is what he is, you can't change that in the middle of a season. It's Moorhead's job to put players in a position that gives them the best shot. He did not do that on Saturday. One way or another, he is the one who allowed Fitz to throw that many passes.

StateDawg44
09-25-2018, 01:49 PM

This is one of the most speculative, "wonder if" scenarios that you are concocting to justify a different problem completely. Really is a terrible excuse and BS reason for the loss. There are a million different ways we got beat. The rain ain't one of them man.

We aren't 17 sugar.

Dawg61
09-25-2018, 02:32 PM
I don't understand you. We've been going back and forth on who is at fault, and you kept saying it was Fitz. Then you seemed to agree with me that it's Moorhead. Fitz is what he is, you can't change that in the middle of a season. It's Moorhead's job to put players in a position that gives them the best shot. He did not do that on Saturday. One way or another, he is the one who allowed Fitz to throw that many passes.

It's both of them along with the 16 penalties, WRs dropping passes and the piss poor offensive line play. I have said this multiple times and will say it again. I want Moorhead taking charge of the game and his QB. His demeanor on the sidelines was the biggest issue in the game. Our team was spiraling out of control the entire game and he wasn't correcting it.

Dawg61
09-25-2018, 02:32 PM
This is one of the most speculative, "wonder if" scenarios that you are concocting to justify a different problem completely. Really is a terrible excuse and BS reason for the loss. There are a million different ways we got beat. The rain ain't one of them man.

We aren't 17 sugar.

Our offense is sugar and we totally melted in the rain. Moorhead and Fitz are two giant bags of sugar.

BB30
09-25-2018, 03:36 PM

FWIW Fitz is on pace to rush for more TDs this year than last. He is also on pace to only have 12 less carries from last year while playing 1 less half of football and missing a cupcake game this year in which he would have easily rushed for 100 yds.

Most of his throws against KY were inside 20 yds. If we don't have a qb that can complete those fairly regularly in the SEC we are going to lose games against good defenses so it really doesn't matter.

All of yall keep talking about ruining a special season.. That depends on what your definition of special is, if its winning the west we aren't/weren't going to do that if Fitz can't complete some passes downfield so its a mute point regardless.

Would I have liked to see us run the football more against KY, absolutely but around 14 of fitz throws against KY came behind the chains in 2nd and long and 3rd and long situations(needing more than 10yds for a first down)7 passes came right before half time and after we were down 21-7 and 28-7 clearly when we needed to throw the ball. So 21 of his 32 throws came again in passing situations either due to penalty or the situation dictating we throw the football.

So there are really 11 plays that we passed the ball where we could have run the football and Fitz completed 8 of them. So he was 8/11 on plays where we could have/should have realistically run the football.

Go and look at the drive summaries..

As example the first drive:

1st down- Kylin hill rush for one yd (unsportsmanlike penalty 15 yds)
2nd and 18- pass complete for 4 yds
3rd and 14-- incomplete pass

The majority of our possessions went like that. There were maybe 5-10 throws where we were at 1st or 2nd down and under 10 yds.

Pit Bull
09-25-2018, 10:40 PM

I know Mullen practiced outdoor in bad weather at every chance so our players would be used to it and know how to adjust.....I wonder if Moorhead had the chance to do that and just moved indoors or did he do it any? I don't know, but I think practicing in the rain and sloppy conditions would be beneficial for a team.

BuckyIsAB****
09-25-2018, 10:43 PM
There's nothing we can do about it. We got our asses handed to us and our players and coaches performed very poorly in their first SEC road test this year. Moorhead gets 3 years minimum. I have faith in Moorhead. One ass beatdown in the rain on the road vs Kentucky doesn't change that for me.

It does for me with this team. I remember many a people on this board saying in the preseason that 7-5 6-6 with this team we would know we hired the wrong guy.

If Moorhead and co. are not better than Saturday we will win 3 more games tops

Pit Bull
09-25-2018, 10:44 PM
Rain predicted Saturday morning and Sunday AM. If rain is an auto loss, hope it stays clear. Personally, I think our problems Saturday were a little deeper than precipitation

Absolutely it was. I was just throwing in there about practicing under adverse conditions. I bet you money, Mullen is piping in loud cowbell noise on the Swamp as they practice. Make them learn to communicate plays, etc. better. Both teams have to play in whatever the conditions are.....Kentucky seemed to handle it much better.

BuckyIsAB****
09-25-2018, 10:45 PM
Fitz called 32 passes in the rain not Moorhead. Do I think he should of gotten on Fitz's ass about it? Yup. I have made a bunch of posts specifically about that. Moorhead needs to forget the nice guy routine during games and he needs to direct his offense to the guy showing it to the world.

How do you know Fitz was calling those passes? You dont and I dont either. But I do know he did it either way and either way is stupid. If our offense is that complicated then Moorhead needs to change it and make it simpler.

There is no version of offense for this team where we should throw it that much. If we do we will lose.

BuckyIsAB****
09-25-2018, 10:51 PM
FWIW Fitz is on pace to rush for more TDs this year than last. He is also on pace to only have 12 less carries from last year while playing 1 less half of football and missing a cupcake game this year in which he would have easily rushed for 100 yds.

Most of his throws against KY were inside 20 yds. If we don't have a qb that can complete those fairly regularly in the SEC we are going to lose games against good defenses so it really doesn't matter.

All of yall keep talking about ruining a special season.. That depends on what your definition of special is, if its winning the west we aren't/weren't going to do that if Fitz can't complete some passes downfield so its a mute point regardless.

Would I have liked to see us run the football more against KY, absolutely but around 14 of fitz throws against KY came behind the chains in 2nd and long and 3rd and long situations(needing more than 10yds for a first down)7 passes came right before half time and after we were down 21-7 and 28-7 clearly when we needed to throw the ball. So 21 of his 32 throws came again in passing situations either due to penalty or the situation dictating we throw the football.

So there are really 11 plays that we passed the ball where we could have run the football and Fitz completed 8 of them. So he was 8/11 on plays where we could have/should have realistically run the football.

The majority of our possessions went like that. There were maybe 5-10 throws where we were at 1st or 2nd down and under 10 yds.

You are looking too hard at it. We lost because of all the reasons stated. All of those reasons fall on Moorhead and his staff.

This team is too good to look like that. I just think its funny now that we can make excuses for him but every single one of yall thought we would win the game before the season and during the week.

We should have won and we were the better team. Moorhead had a better team and lost by 3 TDs. That is not going to work. He gets another chance to prove he is capable saturday. If he fails again then we have problems. Simple as that

StateDawg44
09-26-2018, 09:05 AM
You are looking too hard at it. We lost because of all the reasons stated. All of those reasons fall on Moorhead and his staff.

This team is too good to look like that. I just think its funny now that we can make excuses for him but every single one of yall thought we would win the game before the season and during the week.

We should have won and we were the better team. Moorhead had a better team and lost by 3 TDs. That is not going to work. He gets another chance to prove he is capable saturday. If he fails again then we have problems. Simple as that

Ohhhhhhhh. Now that you've made the same post for the thousandth time it finally makes sense.***

We get it. You're upset and sour about it. Get past it man. Move on and get ready for Saturday. If our players have the same attitude as you we are already beat.

smootness
09-26-2018, 09:12 AM
Ohhhhhhhh. Now that you've made the same post for the thousandth time it finally makes sense.***

We get it. You're upset and sour about it. Get past it man. Move on and get ready for Saturday. If our players have the same attitude as you we are already beat.

Why is an observation of what was seen Saturday sour? Sure, it gets old saying it over and over, but that's the nature of a message board. I'm certainly ready for Saturday and anxious to see what we look like.

Dawg2003
09-26-2018, 09:42 AM
The more I think about it, the more I've realized that this massive freak out has everything to do with Mullen leaving. I think a lot of people have tried to convince themselves that we've upgraded and were ready to get rid of Mullen. I'll include myself in that to some extent. It's like when someone dumps you, and you suddenly start saying how awful the person was to try to convince yourself you don't want them back. I think if most people are really honest, they will admit they would have been fine with Mullen staying forever.

Deep down, we all know that a new coach could run the program into the ground, and it might not recover. It's happened to other programs that were once a lot better than ours ever were. Tennessee and Texas come to mind. I'm not saying that will happen to us, but I think Saturday was a real gut check that we aren't immune to that.

Dawg61
09-26-2018, 10:08 AM
It does for me with this team. I remember many a people on this board saying in the preseason that 7-5 6-6 with this team we would know we hired the wrong guy.

If Moorhead and co. are not better than Saturday we will win 3 more games tops

We are all in on Moorhead for 3 years minimum so you're gonna just have to deal with it like Ripley said in Aliens to Bill Paxton.

BrunswickDawg
09-26-2018, 10:57 AM

That's a real interesting breakdown. It also emphasizes the impacts that the stupid penalties had.

In some ways, this game reminded me a lot of Jackie's games. Just flat out slobber-knocker games by 2 solid teams that resulted in ugly stats, ugly play, and general ineffectiveness. It was 14-7 with 8 minutes left and neither team had been that successful offensively. Snell was still under 100 yards at that point. If the game had ended 14-7 - I think as frustrated as people are about the game - they would be a little more tethered to reality.

And we had games like that under Jackie regularly - some times against Bama, and sometimes against Memphis, or Ark. State. Sometimes in sports, everything goes wrong. Jackie was very good at getting his teams to rebound from that. Hopefully, Joe is too.

Jack Lambert
09-26-2018, 11:00 AM
Why is an observation of what was seen Saturday sour? Sure, it gets old saying it over and over, but that's the nature of a message board. I'm certainly ready for Saturday and anxious to see what we look like.

You are going to see a different team. Fitz will get 140 yards rushing.

BB30
09-26-2018, 11:05 AM

I'm not looking at it to hard and I am not making excuses, we weren't prepared for sure and that falls on Moorhead. What I am stating is simply the premise that we threw the ball too much and that Moorhead is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

He wasn't and isn't. Fitz rushing numbers are almost identical to last year with 1 more TD than last year. We threw the ball a lot because we started most drives in a hole and had to throw the ball. That is on the players not the play caller. We weren't in very many run friendly scenarios.

You can ignore the information all you want but it clearly shows why we didn't run the football more. When your starting 1st and 15 a bunch and looking at 2nd and 25s due to unsportsmanlikes/holdings etc you have to throw the ball more. Yes, it is on Moorhead for not having the team prepared but he isn't trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

BB30
09-26-2018, 11:07 AM
That's a real interesting breakdown. It also emphasizes the impacts that the stupid penalties had.

In some ways, this game reminded me a lot of Jackie's games. Just flat out slobber-knocker games by 2 solid teams that resulted in ugly stats, ugly play, and general ineffectiveness. It was 14-7 with 8 minutes left and neither team had been that successful offensively. Snell was still under 100 yards at that point. If the game had ended 14-7 - I think as frustrated as people are about the game - they would be a little more tethered to reality.

And we had games like that under Jackie regularly - some times against Bama, and sometimes against Memphis, or Ark. State. Sometimes in sports, everything goes wrong. Jackie was very good at getting his teams to rebound from that. Hopefully, Joe is too.

Yep, it is squarely on Moorhead to get the necessary corrections made. I think we bounce back this week and you see a different team. I could be wrong and often am. We just shot ourselves in the foot too many times Saturday to get in a clear rhythm. The one drive we were able to get in a rhythm we saw what the offense can do. I fully expect our offense to look much more like that Saturday and much less like what we saw the rest of the game.

BuckyIsAB****
09-26-2018, 11:10 AM
We are all in on Moorhead for 3 years minimum so you're gonna just have to deal with it like Ripley said in Aliens to Bill Paxton.

Who is we? Are you really John Cohen?

BuckyIsAB****
09-26-2018, 11:11 AM
I'm not looking at it to hard and I am not making excuses, we weren't prepared for sure and that falls on Moorhead. What I am stating is simply the premise that we threw the ball too much and that Moorhead is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

He wasn't and isn't. Fitz rushing numbers are almost identical to last year with 1 more TD than last year. We threw the ball a lot because we started most drives in a hole and had to throw the ball. That is on the players not the play caller. We weren't in very many run friendly scenarios.

You can ignore the information all you want but it clearly shows why we didn't run the football more. When your starting 1st and 15 a bunch and looking at 2nd and 25s due to unsportsmanlikes/holdings etc you have to throw the ball more. Yes, it is on Moorhead for not having the team prepared but he isn't trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

We are 10th in the SEC in rushing attempts. We are 6th in passing. That discredits your argument

Jack Lambert
09-26-2018, 11:14 AM
We are 10th in the SEC in rushing attempts. We are 6th in passing. That discredits your argument

Isn't that because of Fitz reads?

Dawg61
09-26-2018, 11:40 AM
Who is we? Are you really John Cohen?

Do you want to solidify us as a bottom 4 team in the SEC again by firing a new coach immediately or can you suck it up and give the man his 3 years and then evaluate? Patience isn't your strong suit.

BrunswickDawg
09-26-2018, 12:20 PM

Isn't that because of Fitz reads?

We were 7th in Pass Attempts in the SEC in 2017, and 3rd in Rushing Attempts. Our rushing attempts against Kentucky were 10 fewer than 2 of our games and 20 fewer than the ULL game.
We had averaged 41 rushing attempts prior to Saturday. So we were 13 attempts under our average - which follows the facts laid out by BB30. We were in down and distance situations all night that necessitated passing.
If we had been able to rush at our normal attempts level, we would be 6th in rushing attempts in the league. Overall we are still running the ball 56% of the time - about the same clip as 2014.

BB30
09-26-2018, 02:31 PM

We have thrown the ball 115 times while rushing it 151 times. That is including the KY game.

We are rushing the ball 56% of the time and throwing it 44% of the time. What would you like for that number to look like? We are talking about 4-5 plays a game and that would swing it to 60-40 run to pass(would that make you happy). Or are you looking for a 65-35 type feel which inevitably led to us getting beat against teams like Auburn, UGA, and Bama last year.

I thought the goal was to win the big games Mullen couldn't. Does it make a lot of sense to do exactly what he was doing if you were one of the people frustrated with Mullen's play calling? Cause his play calling for the most part kept us from getting beat by lesser opponents and rendered us to virtually taking the L vs more talented opponents according to many on this site.

You act like we are running the Mike Leach offense and we aren't.

StateDawg44
09-26-2018, 02:53 PM

Because it wasn't USA or some BS team that beat MSU. So arguing that there is absolutely no way at all that KY is a better team is just narrow minded. There is no such thing as getting a L* on your schedule with a * stating (but the better team lost). The only people that would argue that are the people that can't accept a fair loss for what it was. It's just dumb and comes across as being butt hurt if you are still hung up on it. My comment wasn't directed at one comment as a whole as much as it was his overall melt. Some people are really overreacting and are ready to jump ship after one loss 4 games into a coaches tenure. It must be absolutely miserable to be around people like this when we perform poorly. It is to share a forum with them.

Last I checked, Moorhead is part of the MSU team. If we got out coached then we aren't the better team. Simple as that.

OrlandoLundie
09-26-2018, 04:09 PM
Well said. Coaches and players are working on it--becoming an elite program is not a passive process for fans either.