PDA

View Full Version : Get off the ledge. Sheesh

Coach 57
09-24-2018, 01:07 PM
Stop insinuating that JoMo is going to all of a sudden flip to some screaming meamie as a coach like Saban, Kirby or Mullen. He?s not! And just because he doesn?t scream or throw his visor around doesn?t mean he?s a bad coach. Bill Belichick isn?t one and is arguably the greatest coach of all time in the NFL, but if you ask former players he?s very demanding & has a standardized view of how to be & is a disciplinarian. Phil Jackson, again not a screamer. I would say he?s the best in NBA history at managing personalities. Both of them are philosophical & intellectuals.

I?m not saying JoMo is the next Phil or Bill, but just because he doesn?t scream or get into the face of the players doesn?t constitute he?s ?soft? or ?weak?.

As far as the game, we lost the game up front on both ends. I?m looking for leaders this week. Fitz, ain?t the leader, he?s the cool kid in the back of the bus. Leaders hold peers accountable and I believe I saw one this week in D.Williams on the OL. But who is it on defense? It ain?t Simmons, he?s too hot headed. So who is it? Look for that this weekend.

Dan can?t get those kids ready for the type of atmosphere that will be here Saturday night. I think Joe rights the ship this weekend with a beat down.

If you?re going to criticize JoMo, then at least do it correctly. Aeris Williams is clearly the best 3 down back we have, he needs to play more than Kylin. And he should?ve been utilized as a chip & release guy Vs Allen this past weekend to both help out the OTs & even we should?ve ran more screens & draws Vs Allen to force him to slow play the edge to buy us more time in passing plays.

We never did that. I?ve seen us line up ina split back backfield with Kylin & Aeris in the game next to Nick. We should?ve ran more zone stretch & zone options to force him to the action. We didn?t. We lost, it?s over...calm down.

As another poster said, every coach that?s really good has a game like that on their resume. Saban lost to Croom here in 08?. Chiz lost to teams he shouldn?t have. Mullen lost to USA & almost lost yo La Tech in 11?. It happens, we need to now look to who are the leaders on this team that hold one another accountable. Who?s going to step up, I think we?ll be pleasantly suprised this weekend.

hacker
09-24-2018, 01:10 PM
But who is it on defense? It ain?t Simmons, he?s too hot headed. So who is it? Look for that this weekend.

I agree. But I was surprised to see that he was one of the guys that called the players-only meeting considering his attitude on the field.

Lord McBuckethead
Well said. Time to man up, including the fan base. 17 Kentucky.

msstate7
Too late... I jumped already**

I think we can win this week, but I have no real confidence. I will say though that we have the more talented team and we home, no excuses

Commercecomet24
09-24-2018, 01:14 PM
Great perspective, 57! Thanks!

gravedigger
09-24-2018, 01:19 PM
Stop insinuating that JoMo is going to all of a sudden flip to some screaming meamie as a coach like Saban, Kirby or Mullen. He?s not! And just because he doesn?t scream or throw his visor around doesn?t mean he?s a bad coach. Bill Belichick isn?t one and is arguably the greatest coach of all time in the NFL, but if you ask former players he?s very demanding & has a standardized view of how to be & is a disciplinarian. Phil Jackson, again not a screamer. I would say he?s the best in NBA history at managing personalities. Both of them are philosophical & intellectuals.

I?m not saying JoMo is the next Phil or Bill, but just because he doesn?t scream or get into the face of the players doesn?t constitute he?s ?soft? or ?weak?.

As far as the game, we lost the game up front on both ends. I?m looking for leaders this week. Fitz, ain?t the leader, he?s the cool kid in the back of the bus. Leaders hold peers accountable and I believe I saw one this week in D.Williams on the OL. But who is it on defense? It ain?t Simmons, he?s too hot headed. So who is it? Look for that this weekend.

Dan can?t get those kids ready for the type of atmosphere that will be here Saturday night. I think Joe rights the ship this weekend with a beat down.

If you?re going to criticize JoMo, then at least do it correctly. Aeris Williams is clearly the best 3 down back we have, he needs to play more than Kylin. And he should?ve been utilized as a chip & release guy Vs Allen this past weekend to both help out the OTs & even we should?ve ran more screens & draws Vs Allen to force him to slow play the edge to buy us more time in passing plays.

We never did that. I?ve seen us line up ina split back backfield with Kylin & Aeris in the game next to Nick. We should?ve ran more zone stretch & zone options to force him to the action. We didn?t. We lost, it?s over...calm down.

As another poster said, every coach that?s really good has a game like that on their resume. Saban lost to Croom here in 08?. Chiz lost to teams he shouldn?t have. Mullen lost to USA & almost lost yo La Tech in 11?. It happens, we need to now look to who are the leaders on this team that hold one another accountable. Who?s going to step up, I think we?ll be pleasantly suprised this weekend.

logic goes like this: If Saban does it, there is no other way to do it.

And following that logic, this halloween, I wont just be dressed like a vampire, I'll actually be one.

Coach 57
09-24-2018, 01:23 PM

And following that logic, this halloween, I wont just be dressed like a vampire, I'll actually be one.

Amen Gravedigger! Amen!

Coach 57
09-24-2018, 01:26 PM
I agree. But I was surprised to see that he was one of the guys that called the players-only meeting considering his attitude on the field.

I’d imagine because he knew he cost the team a lot of free yards. I agree, he was held most of the night, I watched him. There was a lot of after the play type stuff that was dirty dropped on him. But he’s gotta do better, he’s a legit NFL guy for sure.

Commercecomet24
09-24-2018, 01:29 PM

Lol Funniest thing i've read in a while! Rep Given!

WinningIsRelentless
09-24-2018, 01:35 PM
It would be interesting to see Fitz completion % broken down by the back in the backfield. I have a hunch it?s a solid 10% better with atrain in.

ShotgunDawg
09-24-2018, 01:37 PM
How many games now has Simmons been a part of a pregame scuffle?

Seems like it's a weekly occurance that we have a pregame scuffle with the other team.

It's odd. The emotional intelligence of our players is oddly poor. In the same way that every time we've been ranked we lose in the first 4 weeks of the season, I wonder if the poor Mississippi educational system also produces emotionally unintelligent kids?

I bet we have another pregame scuffle this week at mid field during warm ups. It's thuggish and needs to stop.

Commercecomet24
09-24-2018, 01:38 PM
The list of winning coaches who arent screamers is long: Tony Dungy(who may be one of the nicest guys every), John Wooden, Bill Walsh, Lavelle Edwards, Doug Pederson, David Shaw, Joe Torre, the list could go on forever. There's also a ton of guys who are emotional and in your face that are winners too.

It doesn't matter what the coaching style is, what matters is can you reach your players, do they respect you, can you get them to play hard for you, can you overcome adversity, can you get them to play as a team where the sum is greater than the parts, etc. that's what separates great coaches from good. The "style" you use matters not.

JoMo is facing his first adversity, we will see how he and the team responds to adversity. Are they gonna man up and fix the problems or are they gonna wilt. We'll find out a lot on saturday night. Until proven otherwise I believe JoMo is the coach that can get it done.

DawgFromOxford
09-24-2018, 02:38 PM
Nothing wrong with calling a meeting to admit he's at fault. (Hopefully that's what happened). I expect to see a much better game this week regardless of what the coaching staff does. We have too many great senior players for them to just accept what happened last week.

Tbonewannabe
09-24-2018, 03:02 PM

Moorhead did say they were calling for the RB to chip Allen, I am not sure if Fitz was getting them out of the play at the line or what happened. I wonder if Fitz just had a lot of problems reading the defense because JoMo said their defense did a great job.

yjnkdawg
09-24-2018, 04:19 PM
Moorhead did say they were calling for the RB to chip Allen, I am not sure if Fitz was getting them out of the play at the line or what happened. I wonder if Fitz just had a lot of problems reading the defense because JoMo said their defense did a great job.

Stoops said that KY ran a simple defensive set, but they were good at disguising what they were going to do. An answer for your question, in a round about way it sure sounded like that was what was meant. Most coaches are not going to get in a presser and say well my quarterback should have gone with a run play on a certain specific play, or that his quarterback had difficulty in reading the other team's defense.

dawgday166
09-24-2018, 06:42 PM

Very good post. Absolutely true on Aeris. I've said this once before ... Aeris will get you 4 to 7 with some 10 to 15 yd runs every time up the middle. Kylin won't yet ... and I'm not sure he ever will. JoMo has sat down an 1100 yd rusher that ran up the gut against Bama last year and scored 2 TDs, and they had to hit him a lot to bring him down too. Go and watch how many tackles he shed up the middle in that game. How many runners have we had do that. Maybe Aeris' practice habits have been bad ... I don't know and if so, then maybe he does need to sit.

Everyone is saying RTGDF and in the same breath saying Hill should touch it more than anyone. Wrong. Aeris is the bell-cow RTGDF dude. Everyone is enamored with Kylin's speed, but right now he is a slightly bigger and faster Brandon Holloway as far as I've seen. He is not our best player either. He may become that, but he ain't right now. Between the tackles he doesn't find the hole well and goes down very easy even when he does. Doesn't take much of a hit for him to go down either. And LBs are blowing him up in pass protection ... and he tried harder last Saturday than he has to this point, which I was glad to see. He just ain't big enough and strong enough to handle them. He is right now just an edge, strictly in space runner in the SEC. KSU is not in the same hemisphere as our SEC foes so running up the middle against them don't count. Just to add something ... while everyone was so in love with his first touch against SFA for 56 yds to the house ... Bama stuffs that for a 2 yd loss. Go and watch it. The SFA backer was almost there ... Bama's would've been. AUs, LSUs, TAMs, FLs would've been there. And he would've gone nowhere. If Bammer backer misses, he don't split their CBs to get past them.

Everyone always wants the next best thing. Key should not replace Fitz. Key isn't our best QB. Fitz has played very well many times before. He's our only QB ever to beat TAM at TAM I believe ... a pretty hostile environment. If Key was passing and playing like Tua, then maybe put him in. He hasn't shown anything that is even as good as Fitz yet. If Fitz doesn't go down against OM, we go 9-3 and the 3 losses are against the SECW & SEC Champs at their place, and Bama at home. With a roster of almost entirely Jrs and Sophs. And that's with a very below average WR group. Key's claim to fame so far is beating a Peter Sirmon D with a Heisman QB in a meaningless bowl game. With stats of 11-20 for 127 no TDs and 1 INT. After that game everyone starts saying he's Joe Montana. I believe Key will potentially be a great QB for us but he's not ready for that just yet I don't believe.

Sometimes Mullen was hard-headed it seemed on playing underclassmen. Running Holloway up the middle when Aeris and Gibson were on the bench, I never got that one. Aeris may miss the assignment but, at least when he doesn't he can block the LB. Holloway they just swatted out of the way, and if you blew on him hard when he ran between the tackles he fell over.

I also think Guidry may being coddled too much. He doesn't always put out 100% near as I can tell. He damn sure didn't catch that 3rd down pass for a 1st down the other night that I bet all of Bammer's or OM's receivers would've caught. Rosie said on the Boneyard he's heard that there are a "couple" of guys that pout if they don't get the ball. I figure I know at least one of them.

BTW, Thomas & Mixon are our best slot players too IMO.

BuckyIsAB****
09-24-2018, 10:18 PM
It is over. He has a mulligan. I will be there saturday supporting him and the boys. A win on saturday will get a lot of people back off the ledge.

But if it does result in a loss to dan mullen while he is rebuilding and we have a team capable of making a run, at home. He may never get the fanbase back

BuckyIsAB****
09-24-2018, 10:22 PM
I also do believe Aeris is the guy at RB. He needs it more than 8 times. We need to be 1st in the SEC in rushing attempts not 10th.

I was as guilty as any as falling in love with Kylin after a couple games but saturday night on his carries he didnt look like he was playing very hard. Maybe its just me.

Dawg61
09-25-2018, 12:05 AM
The list of winning coaches who arent screamers is long: Tony Dungy(who may be one of the nicest guys every), John Wooden, Bill Walsh, Lavelle Edwards, Doug Pederson, David Shaw, Joe Torre, the list could go on forever.

Most of these guys are professional coaches coaching paid professional adult athletes. One coached at BYU and one coached at Stanford. Those schools aren't exactly similar to coaching a bunch of Mississippi kids barely outta high school yet still acting like they are in high school while getting antagonized into losing their cool by the opponent. The list of comatose corpse intensity level coaches that are successful in the SEC is very short. Try naming some for us that had success.

I'm not asking for Moorhead to be a psycho screamer like Muschamp or Saban but I am asking for him to have pride in how his offense is executed and how his players act on the field with regards to penalties. When your QB and coaches are taking 25 seconds to get a play called and then the read is constantly off FIX IT IMMEDIATELY. Don't stand on the sidelines with your face buried in the play chart. The QB misreading everything is going to keep misreading everything until you fix it yourself. The coach not fixing the freak DE Allen wrecking everything isn't gonna magically fix it until you make him fix it. The players acting like jackasses getting 15 yard penalties are going to keep on getting those penalties until you fix it. IN THE GAME IMMEDIATELY. That doesn't mean screaming at them. It means fixing it on the field while using a sense of urgency.

Being the head coach means you're spinning a lot of plates during games. You gotta run your offense and keep all the dudes 17ing everything up from stop 17ing everything up and you also have to get on the referees or they will just bend you over all game long cause you coach at Miss State not Alabama.