PDA

View Full Version : We offered Mullen close to 6 Mil and he left...

Leeshouldveflanked
09-24-2018, 10:33 AM
For the ones that say we hired someone in over his head, who would you have hired, the idiot who is now at Tennessee?

Dawg61
09-24-2018, 10:38 AM
Moorhead is the right guy we just gotta get him to ditch the nice guy routine. For $3 mill a year he can learn to be a dickhead. Wouldn't you for $3 mill a year?

Statecoachingblows**
09-24-2018, 10:53 AM
Moorhead is the right guy we just gotta get him to ditch the nice guy routine. For $3 mill a year he can learn to be a dickhead. Wouldn't you for $3 mill a year?

Plenty do it here for a lot less.

Johnson85
09-24-2018, 10:57 AM
For the ones that say we hired someone in over his head, who would you have hired, the idiot who is now at Tennessee?

Saying we hired someone in over his head isn't quite the same thing as saying Cohen made a bad decision. I think Cohen made a good hire. Looking at it at the time, outside of Mullen and Fisher (neither of whom were options for us obviously), I don't think there was anyone that were clearly a better option than Moorhead and i thought Moorhead had a ton of upside.

Even if Saturday is who Moorhead is a headcoach, and not just a new head coach 17ing up in his first big game, that doesn't mean Cohen did something stupid. Sometimes guys that look good just don't turn out.

Political Hack
Why are we still talking about Mullen?

fader2103
Public Address Announcer should say Saturday: MSU would like to welcome back our Former Head Football Coach, Greg Knox

Dawg61
09-24-2018, 11:06 AM
Public Address Announcer should say Saturday: MSU would like to welcome back our Former Head Football Coach, Greg Knox

This is an excellent idea. Have some rep

msstate7
09-24-2018, 11:13 AM

I don't know who we should've hired... hell, Moorhead may be the best guy for the job. With that said, there were more guys we could've had than Moorhead and Pruitt. Why do you pose it as either/or?

BB30
09-24-2018, 11:59 AM
I don't know who we should've hired... hell, Moorhead may be the best guy for the job. With that said, there were more guys we could've had than Moorhead and Pruitt. Why do you pose it as either/or?

On the surface the hire looks good and it looks like we did our due diligence. There is just no way of knowing what you will have until the product is put on the field.

From an outsider looking in it looks like JOMO checked off all of the boxes. Offensive minded guy, intelligent, etc.

I'm not giving up on him yet. We will see if he can adapt and make the correct changes needed.

I think this was a wake up call for him and now hopefully he knows how hard you have to prepare each week in the SEC and understands that you will have to be able to make adjustments on the fly based on what is being thrown at you in a game.

Lets give it a couple more games before we write this off as a bad hire.

MetEdDawg
09-24-2018, 01:10 PM
This is the real answer here. For those that say he is in over his head, who the hell else would you have preferred us to get that would not be in over their head? Moorhead isn't in over his head. But the SEC is a different animal.

There is always a learning curve. Coaches change and adapt over time. Moorhead will do the same.

StateDawg44
09-24-2018, 01:14 PM

Yeah!!!!! That would really stick it to them! ***

While also at the same time sounding like we are butt hurt about Mullen leaving.

StateDawg44
09-24-2018, 01:16 PM
This is the real answer here. For those that say he is in over his head, who the hell else would you have preferred us to get that would not be in over their head? Moorhead isn't in over his head. But the SEC is a different animal.

There is always a learning curve. Coaches change and adapt over time. Moorhead will do the same.

No way man. According to some if you have never coached in the SEC you will never make it. Only existing SEC coaches know how to coach in the SEC. Not a chance an outsider could come in and learn.

DanDority
09-24-2018, 01:31 PM

Because at this point in time, I'd say he's going to kick out teeth in Saturday. Just by what I've seen, who have we beaten this year with a pulse?

Commercecomet24
09-24-2018, 01:49 PM
On the surface the higher looks good and it looks like we did our due diligence. There is just no way of knowing what you will have until the product is put on the field.

From an outsider looking in it looks like JOMO checked off all of the boxes. Offensive minded guy, intelligent, etc.

I'm not giving up on him yet. We will see if he can adapt and make the correct changes needed.

I think this was a wake up call for him and now hopefully he knows how hard you have to prepare each week in the SEC and understands that you will have to be able to make adjustments on the fly based on what is being thrown at you in a game.

Lets give it a couple more games before we write this off as a bad hire.

This. A lot of folks over react, some wanted Howland fired halfway through the basketball season, the baseball team was only gonna win 5 or 6 SEC games and would be a total embarrassment. We live in an instant gratification society, the fact is it still takes time for things to come together. We have a new head coach, a new offensive system, our players on defense are having to learn a new system every single year(hopefully that changes). There is a learning curve in everything. We'll know soon enough if JoMo can be a winner in the SEC.

32 Dive
09-24-2018, 02:01 PM

Good Idea... Wish Ida thought of it... ;)

BB30
09-24-2018, 03:25 PM
Because at this point in time, I'd say he's going to kick out teeth in Saturday. Just by what I've seen, who have we beaten this year with a pulse?

We've played one team this year with a pulse on the road in what is probably their best game environment they have ever had(not a large sample size). Our guys went up there thinking they were going to waltz in without any challenge what so ever and got hit in the mouth.

Should it have happened, no. Just about everyone not named Bama has a slip up game during the season where they come out and look terrible(see V Tech and Oklahoma this week). Some manage to find a way to win and some don't. We unfortunately didn't. Just made too many boneheaded mistakes to overcome it. Had we pulled out a close one many on here would be writing it off as just looking ahead to UF. This game was a close game regardless of the final score. It was a one TD game with 8 minutes left. So in spite of all of the dumb stuff we did wrong, getting hosed by the officials, and strange weather conditions we still had a shot at winning that game in the 4th qtr. If we play the same way this week I will be in agreement with you that things could turn out ugly. But what happened at KY in no way, shape, or form means that we will see a similar effort this week or moving forward.

Lord McBuckethead
09-24-2018, 03:40 PM

That would be awesome.

jackindabox
09-24-2018, 03:57 PM
Most of the people on this thread are the biggest fair weather fans on the planet. If I followed who said what, I imagine many of you praising Mullen this week were talking about how talented MSU was last week. Who gives a damn about Mullen it is time to move on. Why would anybody give a damn about how much money he turned down. Its a free country he can do what he wants. The current coach is Moorhead and the first year at Penn State he started 2-2. They looked sloppy. They got crushed by Michigan. Then they rattled off 9 consecutive wins including handing Ohio State their only regular season loss and won a big ten championship for a team that everybody thought would never be the same after the Paterno incident. Fordam beat temple and army, our Offensive Coordinator came from the Green Bay Packers, and the Defensive Coordinator has put together top 25 defensive teams at multiple places one of which was freakin Vanderbilt. So what would be a coaching staff that is up to par with your eloquent standards?

Jack Lambert
09-24-2018, 04:01 PM

One full recruiting season recruiting against those cheating mother ****ers in Oxford will bring it out of him.

yjnkdawg
09-24-2018, 04:40 PM
This. A lot of folks over react, some wanted Howland fired halfway through the basketball season, the baseball team was only gonna win 5 or 6 SEC games and would be a total embarrassment. We live in an instant gratification society, the fact is it still takes time for things to come together. We have a new head coach, a new offensive system, our players on defense are having to learn a new system every single year(hopefully that changes). There is a learning curve in everything. We'll know soon enough if JoMo can be a winner in the SEC.

It may be more accurate, Commerce, if "A lot of folks" was changed to "A few (knowledgeable????? ) posters on message boards.

Commercecomet24
09-24-2018, 04:45 PM
It may be more accurate, Commerce, if "A lot of folks" was changed to "A few (knowledgeable????? ) posters on message boards.

Good one and true. This board has a tendency to melt faster than Chernobyl however

Dawgfan77
09-24-2018, 04:52 PM
I was vehemently opposed to Pruitt. Got called out for being against him by Pnut on 247 and I was right about him Not being the right hire. My top three that I wanted were. Neal Brown, Jason Candle, and Mike Norvel. Could have had two out of the three for what we paid Joe

drummerdawg
09-24-2018, 05:44 PM
Remember when you guys were questioning the hire of Ben Howland? Everyone got excited at first and had highish expectations that year, but it didn't take long for people to start questioning that hire. Questioning if he still had it or if he became washed up. Same thing with Moorhead. We all hyped up this team because of what we thought we had but didn't really think about all the intangibles of bringing in a new coaching staff and system. Saturday sucked but dont jump off a cliff because he doesn't scream at his players as much as you'd like. Howland handles players the same way. These guys have won everywhere they've been and I think they know what they're doing and they'll make corrections when needed.

RocketDawg
09-24-2018, 06:08 PM
Plenty do it here for a lot less.

It's funny. 48 hours ago Joe was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Now ....

BrunswickDawg
09-24-2018, 07:08 PM
Remember when you guys were questioning the hire of Ben Howland? Everyone got excited at first and had highish expectations that year, but it didn't take long for people to start questioning that hire. Questioning if he still had it or if he became washed up. Same thing with Moorhead. We all hyped up this team because of what we thought we had but didn't really think about all the intangibles of bringing in a new coaching staff and system. Saturday sucked but dont jump off a cliff because he doesn't scream at his players as much as you'd like. Howland handles players the same way. These guys have won everywhere they've been and I think they know what they're doing and they'll make corrections when needed.

And Howland was gonna make us instantly better because we had a Senior laden team that was talented and had never been coached - plus a couple of all-world Freshmen coming in. I recall a couple of posters insisting we were at least an NIT team because of it, more than likely a bubble team. We all know what happened.

I don't think this season is going to fall apart, but just a change in coaches wasn't going to change the players or the holes in the program. We bought our own hope and hype that a deep DL rotation and 18! returning starters meant all would be good. It might have been Mullen's most talented team - but the years of bad recruiting on OL, WR, and CB didn't leave with him. And as much as I am a Fitz homer, Dan's belief that he could turn any athlete into a a high performing dual threat QB has always limited our passing game. It looked good to us because even with Fitz's shortcomings he will still end up probably being either #2 or #3 in all time passing yardage. It was going to take everything going perfectly for this team to make a run under Dan. Introducing all new systems and staff meant more room for error - and we all should have recognized it.

msstate7
09-24-2018, 07:25 PM
And Howland was gonna make us instantly better because we had a Senior laden team that was talented and had never been coached - plus a couple of all-world Freshmen coming in. I recall a couple of posters insisting we were at least an NIT team because of it, more than likely a bubble team. We all know what happened.

I don't think this season is going to fall apart, but just a change in coaches wasn't going to change the players or the holes in the program. We bought our own hope and hype that a deep DL rotation and 18! returning starters meant all would be good. It might have been Mullen's most talented team - but the years of bad recruiting on OL, WR, and CB didn't leave with him. And as much as I am a Fitz homer, Dan's belief that he could turn any athlete into a a high performing dual threat QB has always limited our passing game. It looked good to us because even with Fitz's shortcomings he will still end up probably being either #2 or #3 in all time passing yardage. It was going to take everything going perfectly for this team to make a run under Dan. Introducing all new systems and staff meant more room for error - and we all should have recognized it.

It wasn't just our hype. We were a top 20 preseason team. When I bet us to win natty 2 weeks ago in Vegas the odds dropped from 75-1 before Kansas state to 50-1. This team is littered with high draft picks. You come across as making excuses for a shitastic permformance Saturday night. Why didn't you post this last week? It's ok to admit joe Moorhead failed his first test BADLY... doesn't mean he will fail the next one

Homedawg
09-24-2018, 07:39 PM

While our OL recruiting hasn't met "expectations" that's fair, but I watched the same line ass whip uk last year. And too boot, we literally had no plan. It was bad and didn't adjust to make it worse. I'm not giving up on JM however, I can assure you that no coach will ever walk into ms state with a better situation, EVER!!!

BrunswickDawg
09-24-2018, 07:45 PM
It wasn't just our hype. We were a top 20 preseason team. When I bet us to win natty 2 weeks ago in Vegas the odds dropped from 75-1 before Kansas state to 50-1. This team is littered with high draft picks. You come across as making excuses for a shitastic permformance Saturday night. Why didn't you post this last week? It's ok to admit joe Moorhead failed his first test BADLY... doesn't mean he will fail the next one
I agree that what you are saying 7 - and I'm included myself as someone blinded by the positives we were focusing on. Saturday was shitastic all the way around, and the staff and players failed the test. But, I think if we were going into a normal season without a coaching change we as fans would have been focusing more on the holes is all I'm saying. We even did that in '14 and '15.

And hype is hype - and a lot of times it is misplaced. Jeremy Johnson for Heisman! FSU was a Top 15 preseason team and we see how that is going so far. It may turn out that we were too - time will tell.

Bully13
09-24-2018, 08:49 PM

Yep. And I'm as pissed as anybody over the Saturday Night Cluster 17 but it seems we have too many here who have made up their minds about JOMO over one game. We see shit shows all across the country every Saturday and think we are somehow immuned from shit shows. For the first time this year we faced a D-Line that was legit and we looked shell shocked. Teams bounce back and sometimes they don't. Jury's still out.

17 Mullen. He cheated on us like a slut wife who ran who ran off with a guy with a fancier car. Time to move on.

StateDawg44
09-25-2018, 07:26 AM
Yep. And I'm as pissed as anybody over the Saturday Night Cluster 17 but it seems we have too many here who have made up their minds about JOMO over one game. We see shit shows all across the country every Saturday and think we are somehow immuned from shit shows. For the first time this year we faced a D-Line that was legit and we looked shell shocked. Teams bounce back and sometimes they don't. Jury's still out.

17 Mullen. He cheated on us like a slut wife who ran who ran off with a guy with a fancier car. Time to move on.

Ha.... WHAT??? Shoulda just left that off because clearly you are still caught up with Mullen leaving and haven't "moved on".

msstate7
09-25-2018, 07:38 AM
I agree that what you are saying 7 - and I'm included myself as someone blinded by the positives we were focusing on. Saturday was shitastic all the way around, and the staff and players failed the test. But, I think if we were going into a normal season without a coaching change we as fans would have been focusing more on the holes is all I'm saying. We even did that in '14 and '15.

And hype is hype - and a lot of times it is misplaced. Jeremy Johnson for Heisman! FSU was a Top 15 preseason team and we see how that is going so far. It may turn out that we were too - time will tell.

We won vs Kentucky 45-7 last year. We lost 28-7 this year. This is on our staff not having our team prepared.

BrunswickDawg
09-25-2018, 10:04 AM
We won vs Kentucky 45-7 last year. We lost 28-7 this year. This is on our staff not having our team prepared.

And we lost to KY the year before - 20 of the players on the field Saturday played in that loss in 2016. 10 of them were significant contributors on the 2016 team. They should have all known you can't just walk into any SEC stadium and win. It is equally on the staff and the players

Tbonewannabe
09-25-2018, 04:31 PM

It was also the perfect trap game. Not only are we playing UF this week but then the weather favored UK in the way we played. Then it seemed like every possible flag went their way. If it was questionable then it went against us. Coaches had a bad game and the offense looked like crap. JoMo should have figured out the run when it was obvious the pass wasn't working although we don't know if Fitz was just checking out of the run every time. It could be the defense just confused Fitz or Fitz tried to win the game throwing.

KentuckyDawg13
09-26-2018, 07:25 AM
Hmm, I wonder..?

Dawgology
09-26-2018, 07:31 AM

This is TRUTH. It was evident on the field. More than once our offense look completely confused. This was a coaching/preparation loss.

Bully13
09-26-2018, 12:25 PM
dumbasses never learn. No Matter how many times they are shown the way.

Commercecomet24
09-26-2018, 12:35 PM
dumbasses never learn. No Matter how many times they are shown the way.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Bully13 again.

Johnson85
09-26-2018, 03:06 PM
It was also the perfect trap game. Not only are we playing UF this week but then the weather favored UK in the way we played. Then it seemed like every possible flag went their way. If it was questionable then it went against us. Coaches had a bad game and the offense looked like crap. JoMo should have figured out the run when it was obvious the pass wasn't working although we don't know if Fitz was just checking out of the run every time. It could be the defense just confused Fitz or Fitz tried to win the game throwing.

The fact that we were in a 14-7 game late in the third quarter shows just how ridiculously bad the coaching was. We had everything going against us on the road in the SEC and the coaches still had until late in the third quarter to make adjustments.